Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 816 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,544 reviews
on July 23, 2015
What a phenomenal writer she is! Horse racing has never been a subject I had much interest in nor knew much about, though I do love horses (from afar). But this book is so captivating and well written - as was the other book of hers that I read, "Unbroken"- that I could barely put it down. In this book, Ms Hillenbrand had the ability to uncover the back stories of so many of the players in Seabiscuit's life and racing career. She continuously drew out the most interesting and exciting pieces as she put together the whole story. While reading this book, I became so caught up in the characters and the progression of events; rooting for the jockey(s), the trainer, and of course Seabiscuit, himself, that I was truly sorry when I finished the book.
on April 22, 2017
This is am amazing book about an amazing horse and the humans who had faith in his greatness. The mater-of-fact description of the lengths to which jockeys went to make weight, the mortal danger they faced each time they rode and the abuse heaped upon them by owners and tracks was chilling. The descriptions of the races were thrilling and made me feel like I was there on the rail myself. This is a page turner with a heart as bid as its subject.
on May 26, 2017
Well written. I felt like a true insider to the events. The author did a good job of gathering and analyzing the information available. The characters were believable and real. He gave a good understanding of the evolvement of not only the main characters but also of the sport. I enjoyed not only the story behind the legend of the horse but the knowledge gained about racing and the people and animals involved. There was not a a chapter that was boring.
on May 23, 2017
The author did extensive research to bring this historical event so everyone could read it. I am now fascinated with horse racing. I admit I skipped a few paragraphs where it did not interest me, but so well documented and organized. I could see those horses racing in the dust, rain, mud, and whatever else. The flair and flavors were there!
on May 24, 2017
An amazing story about how the lives of a simple brown horse, unknown trainer, and unlikely jockey came together, overcame problems and obstacles to become a force to be reckoned with on the racetrack! At a time of war and world turmoil, their story of hope and victory took the country by storm! The beginning detail sets the stage for the story to unfold in all it's glory. An uplifting must read!
on March 27, 2017
Wish I could have seen him in action. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I regretted every interruption in my reading of this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on March 28, 2017
Very interesting even if you know nothing about thoroughbred racing in the old days and would like to. I know nothing about racing or even anything about horses but found this interesting. It is however a bit repetitive. To someone totally lacking in any knowledge of the subject a race is very much like every other race.
on May 26, 2017
This is the authentic story of a racing horse legend. I have heard about Seabiscuit over the years but was fascinated to learn the entire story of the horse and the people who owned, trained, and raced him. You will learn a lot about horse racing from years back and the things jockeys did to race.
on December 11, 2013
This is history not fiction, but it is comprised of dozens of fascinating stories about the lives of those who brought us Seabisquit, perhaps the greatest racehorse of all time and surely the most improbable of all the great winners. The characters are real to a fault, the prose journalistic at times and elegant and poetic at others. Above all, this is a masterpiece of research. It took only four years to write, but it's depth of detail and accuracy would have justified a lifetime of effort to complete. Brava and brava again to Laura Hillenbrand!!!
BookAWeekMan
on May 23, 2017
Who wouldn't love the story of this game little horse. Of course the telling is not hindered by the fact that Laura Hillenbrand is an excellent writer. I will keep this jewel tucked away in the back of my Kindle for another read. If you love horses, you'll love this book!