Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 24, 2017
Great book about about a fairytale horse who stole the hearts of America. I'm 70 and can remember Seabiscuit appearing in cartoons we'd watch on Saturday mornings in the 50's. I'd always wonder about those cameos and why they were there. This book explains why: Seabiscuit was a national phenomenon.
The book tells the story of the horse and the exceptional team of owner, trainer and jockeys that combined to create that phenomenon. At the same time the details behind and within the 2 minutes of a horse race. The book is totally fascinating and I read it once every few years for both the content and excellent story telling of Hillenbrand. Another favorite by her is "Unbroken" about an exceptional track star in the 1940's.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
A wonderful piece of writing. Laura Hillenbrand has a talent for gathering material from diverse sources and weaving it into a story that's readable, believable, and lovable. It's good literature and at the same time, good history. I just wish she would take on the story of Goldsmith Maid, a racemare who was literally hell on wheels, conquering both stud horses and other mares on her way to new world records. Compared to Seabisquit, there's a paucity of first hand resources here cause the mare is all but forgotten, but Laura might appreciate the challenge.

Oh well. Anyone interested in depression era horse racing or simply interested in a good story won't be disappointed in "Seabisquit". This lady can write. Both the book and the movie are worth the hype.
on May 24, 2017
I reread this book after my initial read several years ago, and it was just as enjoyable as my first. Ms. Hillenbrand's extremely well-researched story puts you right in the saddle alongside Seabiscuit jockeys Red Pollard and George Woolf. My Uncle Nori owned several thoroughbred race horses - most of them Claimers - and told me something that I had always taken as a trainer's unfounded superstition when he said, "...you can tell if a horse is ready to run by feeling his ankles." We were in a stable at Caliente Race Track at the time, and I was just 10 years old. Uncle Nori knelt beside his horse, Toro Tuck, and wrapped his hands around the horses lower leg. "Cold as ice," he smiled back at me. "He's ready to go today." I recall being up in the grandstands watching the finish of the race - and hearing my uncle yell his lungs out, "Look at him go! Look at him go!" When the results were posted, and Toro Tuck was declared the winner, I turned to my uncle and asked him if he had put any money on his horse. He smiled down at me and fanned about a half-dozen $100 Win tickets at me. Hillenbrand's book brought all these vivid memories rushing back to me, and verified the truth behind my uncle's insight into a thoroughbred's race readiness.
on May 12, 2017
Incredible book. Laura Hillenbrand did the deep research not only on Seabiscuit, but the evolution of hors racing in the U.S. Then she wrote a compelling narrative about Seabiscuit and the people who owned, trained and rode him. Jockey Johnny "Red" Pollard, trainer Tom Smith and owner Charles Howard come to life in the book. Hillenbrand is a master of conveying their personal successes and failures with understanding and sensitivity. And the insights into professional horse racing were spellbinding. Great read. Can't wait for Hillenbrand's next work.
on January 10, 2018
I have read and reread Seabiscuit at least 3 or 4 times. To me, it's a classic! The author develops the characters thoroughly, including Seabiscuit. The owner, trainer, and jockey were incredible people. They were all very sensitive to each other's knowledge and expertise when it came to Seabiscuit. There were numerous times throughout the book when the author was describing a race...I found may heart pounding as if I was actually watching a real horse race. Seabiscuit was an amazing animal. He was intelligent, sensitive, and cunning. Even though he was not the most beautiful horse, he loved competition. He truly is "an American legend." Please read this book...it's a feel good story, and will bring a tear to your eye.
on February 23, 2015
First, I am grateful for Ms Hillenbrand's second book, Unbroken (an excellent book by itself). Otherwise I would not have discovered Seabiscuit. I read the book, Secretariat, by William Nack, but did not give much thought to reading Seabiscuit. I was so impressed with Laura Hillenbrand's story-telling ability, however, that I knew I had to read it. Second, the story's underlying theme is as relevant today as it was in the 1930s and 1940s: then, as now, our country needed something or someone to cheer for; a positive story, or a role model, to unify and uplift its people. And the human and equine qualities that defined the story's characters, such as the will to persevere against all odds, are timeless and are meticulously presented. And what more can I possibly say about Seabiscuit? Unlike Secretariat, a thoroughbred in every official sense, Seabiscuit lacked the conformation that thoroughbred horses usually possess. But what he lacked in structure, he possessed in spirit, courage and the unbounded ability to run. So, we can learn a lot from this horse, and this beautifully written story, if we pay attention. I highly recommend this book; you will marvel, shake your head in disbelief and you will cry, if you're inclined to do so.
4 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2017
When you open this book you are immediately brought into each and every character with deep clarity. I learned much of the racing world and fell in love with Seabiscuit. The book is a wealth of informations, but the best part is Seabiscuit's character brought to life. Hillenbrand is a tremendous author. She never disappoints.
on May 23, 2017
The author did extensive research to bring this historical event so everyone could read it. I am now fascinated with horse racing. I admit I skipped a few paragraphs where it did not interest me, but so well documented and organized. I could see those horses racing in the dust, rain, mud, and whatever else. The flair and flavors were there!
on January 31, 2016
What is it about Laura Hillenbrand? Her storytelling has lyric and substance and it truly finds its way into the heart of why humanity needs story. This lovely story has a voice you can hear, and draws you into an age and place and allows you to stay there under the spell. In this age riddled with discount of time and immediate entertainment, its so rare to find a writer and book that can hold us. This does. Its a gift of unlikely heroes arriving just when they're most needed, of redemption and the power in believing in the unlikely. Tom Waits once described his music as jewelry for the mind... if that's so, this may be among the loveliest and most enduring of crown jewels.
on May 26, 2017
Well written. I felt like a true insider to the events. The author did a good job of gathering and analyzing the information available. The characters were believable and real. He gave a good understanding of the evolvement of not only the main characters but also of the sport. I enjoyed not only the story behind the legend of the horse but the knowledge gained about racing and the people and animals involved. There was not a a chapter that was boring.