Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 772 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,496 reviews
on February 23, 2015
First, I am grateful for Ms Hillenbrand's second book, Unbroken (an excellent book by itself). Otherwise I would not have discovered Seabiscuit. I read the book, Secretariat, by William Nack, but did not give much thought to reading Seabiscuit. I was so impressed with Laura Hillenbrand's story-telling ability, however, that I knew I had to read it. Second, the story's underlying theme is as relevant today as it was in the 1930s and 1940s: then, as now, our country needed something or someone to cheer for; a positive story, or a role model, to unify and uplift its people. And the human and equine qualities that defined the story's characters, such as the will to persevere against all odds, are timeless and are meticulously presented. And what more can I possibly say about Seabiscuit? Unlike Secretariat, a thoroughbred in every official sense, Seabiscuit lacked the conformation that thoroughbred horses usually possess. But what he lacked in structure, he possessed in spirit, courage and the unbounded ability to run. So, we can learn a lot from this horse, and this beautifully written story, if we pay attention. I highly recommend this book; you will marvel, shake your head in disbelief and you will cry, if you're inclined to do so.
on May 12, 2017
Incredible book. Laura Hillenbrand did the deep research not only on Seabiscuit, but the evolution of hors racing in the U.S. Then she wrote a compelling narrative about Seabiscuit and the people who owned, trained and rode him. Jockey Johnny "Red" Pollard, trainer Tom Smith and owner Charles Howard come to life in the book. Hillenbrand is a master of conveying their personal successes and failures with understanding and sensitivity. And the insights into professional horse racing were spellbinding. Great read. Can't wait for Hillenbrand's next work.
on July 23, 2015
What a phenomenal writer she is! Horse racing has never been a subject I had much interest in nor knew much about, though I do love horses (from afar). But this book is so captivating and well written - as was the other book of hers that I read, "Unbroken"- that I could barely put it down. In this book, Ms Hillenbrand had the ability to uncover the back stories of so many of the players in Seabiscuit's life and racing career. She continuously drew out the most interesting and exciting pieces as she put together the whole story. While reading this book, I became so caught up in the characters and the progression of events; rooting for the jockey(s), the trainer, and of course Seabiscuit, himself, that I was truly sorry when I finished the book.
on April 22, 2017
This is am amazing book about an amazing horse and the humans who had faith in his greatness. The mater-of-fact description of the lengths to which jockeys went to make weight, the mortal danger they faced each time they rode and the abuse heaped upon them by owners and tracks was chilling. The descriptions of the races were thrilling and made me feel like I was there on the rail myself. This is a page turner with a heart as bid as its subject.
on March 27, 2017
Wish I could have seen him in action. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I regretted every interruption in my reading of this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on March 28, 2017
Very interesting even if you know nothing about thoroughbred racing in the old days and would like to. I know nothing about racing or even anything about horses but found this interesting. It is however a bit repetitive. To someone totally lacking in any knowledge of the subject a race is very much like every other race.
on May 2, 2017
This story pulls you in from the very first page. The writing is simply wonderful. Laura Hillenbrand tells each character's story in beautiful descriptive detail and then weaving them around the character that brought them together- Seabiscuit. I think this book should be required reading in schools both for the quality of the writing and the description of what America was like at the time. So far, I have purchased it 4 times- once as a gift, once in paperback, once as a hardback and lastly as an ebook that I can carry around wherever I go.
on March 27, 2017
Well written narrative of the horse Seabiscuit. The writer never misses a beat in covering every aspect of horsemanship and horse racing. The writer also gives the reader a great perspective on all the great historical events that factor in to the complete story of Seabiscuit.
on May 10, 2017
I am not a big horse racing fan but was fascinated by this story...this book is written very superb in that it involves the reader in every lap Seabiscuit raced...I couldn't put the book down and I highly recommend to anyone...racing fans and non racing fans alike just a good story!
on January 31, 2016
What is it about Laura Hillenbrand? Her storytelling has lyric and substance and it truly finds its way into the heart of why humanity needs story. This lovely story has a voice you can hear, and draws you into an age and place and allows you to stay there under the spell. In this age riddled with discount of time and immediate entertainment, its so rare to find a writer and book that can hold us. This does. Its a gift of unlikely heroes arriving just when they're most needed, of redemption and the power in believing in the unlikely. Tom Waits once described his music as jewelry for the mind... if that's so, this may be among the loveliest and most enduring of crown jewels.