Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Seagate Backup Plus vs. Seagate Expansion (3TB)? The price is about the same. Just need for huge video files, music, etc.. Is the heat an issue?
asked by Omegatopher on December 25, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
sSlocum answered on May 6, 2013
Comment | 48 of 48 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Seagate states that the Newer model Expansion portable and Expansion desktop drives are compatible with Windows image backup.

Windows Image Backup in Windows 7 will not support any Seagate Backup Plus drives, GoFlex drives that exceed 2.1TB (3TB and 4TB models), or older model Expansion Portable and Desktop drives (along with most other external drives that exceed 2.1TB in size).

Microsoft only supports drives that are set up to use 512 byte blocks as destinations for image backups.

Reference: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005486en
SR answered on December 14, 2016
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How do I use this thing? My daughter set it up, and there are no instructions for use. So, how do I pack up my computer -- I see nothing on the
Charles S. answered on July 8, 2015
Comment | 0 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No heat isn't an issue. I mainly use it for backing up all my storage(music, movies, pictures, software) of roughly 2TB. No complaints whatsoever.
shah1992 answered on December 26, 2012
Comment | 4 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Seagate Backup Plus is for general storage of files and very easy to use. I'm not sure what the difference between it and the Expansion is.... Since you need it for media files, I would recommend the Backup Plus... Heat is always an issue with backup harddrives... Only use it when you need it, don't leave it on...
Kurt answered on December 26, 2012
Comment (1) | 3 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I got the backup because it was what was available at the time and I needed space to save my video, music and picture files on my older dying WD drive. I also wanted to expand my video library and now have over 2TB filled. I am looking into getting another 3TB for expansion and will be looking into the differences myself. I did not realize the heat was an issue with my old drive until it started dying. I have an external fan mounted to my Seagate just in case but it seems to run cooler than the others.
Steve answered on December 26, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm going to take a stab and say the expansion allows you to easily open up the casing and replace the drive with another once the initial hard drive is filled? I've been searching all over and can't figure it out myself.
E. Ramclam answered on February 21, 2013
Comments (4) | 1 of 26 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product