|Hard Drive||1 TB Portable|
|Number of USB 3.0 Ports||1|
2 Year Data Recovery Planfrom After Solutions
- Your Rescue Plan documents will be delivered to you via email only to the address associated with your Amazon.com account and can be found in your account message center within the Buyer/Seller Messages.
- If your drive stops working, the Rescue data recovery plan will recover the data from the failed drive and return it to you on a new piece of external storage
- Covers new single-disk external hard drives of any brand when purchased within 30 days (receipt must be retained for purchases not on the same transaction).
- Free shipping for in-lab data recovery; 24/7 online case status tracking
- If your data isn't recovered, you get your money back
(Old Model) Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU1000100)
|Price:||$101.20 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Keep copies of your precious digital files, in case disaster strikes
- Impressive 1 TB storage capacity,Spindle Speed 5400 RPM
- Save feature enables user-generated content to be backed up from your favorite social network
- Share feature allows multiple files to be uploaded to social networks at once from your computer
- Install the pre-loaded NTFS driver for Mac and use the drive interchangeably between PC and Mac computers without reformatting
- Features USB 3.0 for quick data transfer rates; upgrade to Thunderbolt technology or FireWire 800 with the available additional adapter
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
This item (Old Model) Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU1000100)
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black (STDR1000100)
Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400)
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive for Mac USB 3.0 (STDS1000100)
(OLD MODEL) Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive for Mac USB 3.0 (STBW1000900)
Seagate Backup Plus 500GB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU500100)
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||PORTABLE GUY||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||HDD Shop||HDD Shop|
|Connectivity Technology||usb, firewire||Wired||Wired||Wired||Wired||usb, firewire|
|Digital Storage Capacity||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||500 GB|
|Hard Disk Description||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable|
|Hard-Drive Size||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||500 GB|
|Hardware Connectivity||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0|
|Item Dimensions||3.19 x 4.86 x 0.57 in||2.99 x 4.47 x 0.38 in||0.6 x 4.8 x 3.2 in||2.99 x 4.47 x 0.38 in||3.19 x 4.86 x 0.57 in||3.19 x 4.86 x 0.57 in|
|Item Weight||7.04 ounces||5.28 ounces||6.4 ounces||5.28 ounces||7.04 ounces||7.04 ounces|
|Memory Storage Capacity||1,024 GB||1,000||1 TB||1||1 TB||500 GB|
|Size||1 TB||1TB||1TB||1TB||1 TB||500 GB|
The Seagate Backup Plus portable external hard drive simplifies backup for consumers who want to protect their entire digital life locally, in the cloud or from social networks. Via the Seagate Dashboard, use the Protect function to set up a one-click plan or customize your scheduled local backup. Keep multiple copies of your files in case disaster strikes. With the Save feature, user-generated content can be backed up from your favorite social networks. Many people now use their smartphones to capture priceless moments. While these devices are handy and readily available, storage is not their strong suit. Capture a memory, post it on a social networking site and let the Seagate Dashboard automatically back up any content posted. Even if the file gets accidentally deleted from the device, another copy can be waiting. The Share feature allows multiple files to be uploaded to social networks at once from your computer. The days of uploading individual files without creating a new album are gone! Simply select files to upload, choose where to post them and even add comments. Managing your social profile has never been easier. Install the pre-loaded NTFS driver for Mac, and use the drive interchangeably between PC and Mac computers without reformatting the drive. For even more flexibility, with the Seagate Backup Plus design, you can upgrade from the included USB 3.0 interface to Thunderbolt technology with the available additional adapter. Ships with: Seagate Backup Plus Drive, Seagate Dashboard pre-loaded on drive, USB 3.0 interface adapter, 18-inch USB 3.0 cable, Quickstart guide, 2-year limited warranty. System Requirements: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system or Mac OS X 10.6 or higher (reformatting for Mac may be required) and SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port (required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds or backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports at USB 2.0 transfer speeds; compatibility may depend on user's configuration and operating system). What’s in the box: Seagate Dashboard pre-loaded on drive, NTFS driver for Mac pre-loaded on drive, USB 3.0 interface adapter, 18-inch USB 3.0 cable, Quick start guide and 2-year limited warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Back Up Your Digital Life
The Seagate Backup Plus portable drive delivers easy-to-use, highly flexible protection for your files in a full range of capacities. This drive also works seamlessly with your social media accounts so it's simple to back up and share your online photos, movies and more.
One-Click Custom Backup Plans
The Backup Plus portable drive comes pre-loaded with premium backup software, included in the easy-to-use Seagate Dashboard. Create a backup plan with a single click using the 'Protect Now' feature for a set-it-and-forget-it solution. Quickly create custom backup plans to protect your files. Easy backup scheduling options include daily, weekly, monthly or specific times.
Save Your Social Life
The Seagate Dashboard makes it simple to share or save files associated with online social networks including Flickr, Facebook and YouTube. Automatically download copies of your photos, movies and more from social networking sites to your Backup Plus portable drive, and share files by simply clicking on your social network's icon within the Seagate Dashboard. Easily share multiple files with your social networks at the same time.
The Backup Plus portable drive features a unique adapter system that lets you quickly and cost-effectively upgrade or change the drive's interface. Take advantage of the newest, fastest connections--now and in the future: Choose from USB 3.0 (included), USB 2.0, and Thunderbolt technology.
What's in the Box?
Backup Plus Portable Drive, preloaded Seagate Dashboard, quick start guide, USB 3.0 adapter with 18-inch cable, warranty.
Compatible operating systems are Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit and 64-bit) and Mac OS X 10.6 or higher (reformatting for Mac may be required).
There's a Seagate Backup Plus Drive that's Perfect for Every Backup Need
|Backup Plus Portable Drive||Backup Plus Desktop Drive||Backup Plus for Mac Portable Drive||Backup Plus for Mac Desktop Drive|
|Big Backup. Small Package. |
With capacities up to 1.5TB, the Backup Plus portable drive makes it easy to take along plenty of extra storage.
|Space to spare. |
Capacities up to 4TB make the Backup Plus desktop drive the simple solution when your digital life goes big.
|Ready to roll with your Mac computer. |
The Backup Plus for Mac portable drive is compatible with Time Machine backup software straight out of the box.
|Massive Mac backup. |
Straight-out-of-the-box Time Machine software compatibility meets massive capacities in the Backup Plus for Mac desktop drive.
Top customer reviews
- STYLING / STURDINESS (5/5): The Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Drive arrives in a 8" x 10" cardboard box (not much bigger than the dimensions of the actual drive) and includes just the bare essential components - the Portable Drive itself, 1 USB 3.0 connector cable, 1 Warranty Booklet and 1 Setup Instruction Guide. The Portable Drive itself (reviewing a red 1 TB version) weighs no more than a current generation dataphone (iphone etc) and boasts a brushed metallic red finish on the top / cover plate which is aesthetically pleasing, as well as functional - in that it feels sturdy to the touch and does not seem to attract fingerprints. Given that this drive is not advertised (and not priced) as a 'Rugged' or 'Drop resistant' portable drive, I did not 'Stress test' the drive and plan to treat it much as I would any other portable electronic gadget - eg. a laptop. The included USB 3.0 cable is 12-15" long (definitely portable, but admittedly on the short side) and of good quality with thick protective coating along the entire cable. The cable ports are USB 3.0 (backwards compatible with USB 2.0) on one end and a proprietary Seagate port on the side which plugs into the drive - which might irritate some buyers. The only drawback of this proprietary port is that you will have to buy a replacement / extra cable from Seagate and not any electronics retailer so you lose some of the convenience aspect to replacement - but given Seagate's reputation for reliability this should not be an issue for most folks.
- SETUP / EASE OF USE / SOFTWARE (5/5): The Setup Instruction Guide includes 2 steps - plug the included cable into the Seagate portable drive, and plug the other end into your computers USB port. It really is that simple - as it should be - hence my perfect score on 'Setup and Ease of Use'. Once you plug the drive into your computer (I used Win 7), Windows will automatically detect the drive and download the latest driver software to allow you to access it. This usually takes less than a minute and once this process has completed (you are notified via a popup window), you can access the drive by going to 'Start - My Computer' which will list all the available drives including your new Seagate Portable Drive. The drive is now ready for use - Two Step Simple - Incredible! Once you access the drive itself you will see the pre-installed files for the Seagate Dashboard Backup Software - Double click the Seagate Dashboard Installer icon to start installation of the backup software. I have traditionally preferred to not be tied to third party proprietary software and like to manage my backups manually so did not install it and cannot comment on that part of the product. If you do not want the software, do not double click on any icons but instead either delete the software files or create a new folder and dump all the pre-installed software files into that folder - in case you change your mind on using the software later. The drive is otherwise ready for use and you can create folders / drag and drop your files as needed. One point of note - a 1TB drive comes with only 930 Gigs of useable space out of the box - the rest taken up by the Seagate Dashboard software / formatting etc. Losing 7% of your capacity from the get-go is kind of annoying but similar to pre-loads on a new PC.
- PERFORMANCE / SPEED TESTS: (4.5/5): My PC is not USB 3.0 equipped so please note that my speed tests were based on USB 2.0 and therefore not indicative of the true performance capabilities of this product. Nevertheless, I was able to achieve transfer speeds - PC to Portable Drive - of 1.8 - 2.0 Gigs per minute while transferring ~150 Gigs of content in little over an hour. Additionally, the Seagate Portable drive has a white indicator light on one end that lights up when the drive is plugged in and flashes slowly while in use. The drive does runs slightly warm after an hour or so of continuous use (eg. during my initial transfer) but again this is something which is pretty common for most external drives and other portable electronics.
- RELIABILITY (N/A): Will not be able to comment on product reliability until I have consistently tested / used the product for 6-18 months, but based on the consistency of previous user comments and Seagate's stellar reputation as a bellweather in the industry, I expect this drive to hold up well over time. I will of course be sure to loudly voice my displeasure if this is not the case :)
- VALUE (4/5): This was one area where I felt Seagate could improve but $100 - $110 for a 1TB drive is in-line with the market / competitors in 2012. There are cheaper options (eg. WDs Passport 1TB for $90) and more expensive options (HP or LaCie - 1TB for $125 to $175 range) and Seagate's BackUp Plus runs right along the mid range between the two. One important point to consider - plan to get the highest capacity drive you can afford / or want to spend on storage, as the higher capacity drives present the best value - for example Seagate's 500GB drive is $90, 1 TB is $110 and 2 TB is $150. On a pure dollar / GB basis it is hard to ever recommend the 500 GB drive when for $20 more, you get double the storage capacity....and so on.
SUMMARY (PROS / CONS):
- Seagate Brand / Reputation for Reliability
- Aesthetically Pleasing
- Compact yet Sturdy Build
- Super Easy Set-Up (2 step Process)
- No forced use of Software / Bloatware
- Runs Quiet and Good Performance (in line with competitor read/write ranges)
- Future Proofed (USB 3.0 standard, Backwards USB 2.0 Compatible and Future Proofed with removable Adapter options)
- Mac OS and Windows Compatible
- Decent Price Point
- 'Nothing Special' Backup Software (its free for a reason)
- No Password Protection / Security Option
In conclusion, I compared a number of drives from different manufacturers before deciding on Seagates BackUp Plus - including drives from WD (Passport series), LaCie, HP, Buffalo Technology, Silicon-Power Rugged etc. This drive does not include some notable and desirable features of some other competitor drives - like Security / Password protection, Drop Resistance etc and everyone will need to weigh which features are indispensible / most important to them. But for me, Seagate's combination of stellar reputation in the industry for reliability, included features, overall ease of use, overwhelmingly positive user comments (or alternatively the glaring lack of mixed to negative feedback as some other products have), aesthetics and price point proved to be a winning combination. Very Highly Recommended A ++
Completely full and still running strong; haven't had one minute of problem with it. i bought a second one last year and it's still running great too. but again, i never installed and do not use the back-up software; i simply use it as external storage for movies, music, software programs, images, etc.
Update August 19, 2013
500 gig later and it still runs smooth and silent. 400 gig of space still free, but for $88, i'm buying another one.
Original review August 6, 2012
A lot of the negative reviews are from people who are trying to use the automated back-up software, which is completely reasonable if it doesn't work for them, but for $99, I'm just using this as external storage; just drag and drop pictures, movies, music, etc to the drive and it's great. I didn't install a thing; just plugged it in and started moving files over. And so far, 100 gig later, there hasn't been a single "click" or "beep" to worry about.
I'm not saying that it's acceptable that the software is wonky, I'm just saying that for the price, I'm happy to skip installing the software and just use it for storage rather than an automated back-up system.
I bought this drive and left it in the box. Didn't open it. Didn't use it for over a year. In fact, I didn't have the need for it as quickly as I thought, because I was still using my other trusty seagate. Sadly, this one is a paperweight, nothing more.
I had the ability to use it once. Moved some movies onto the drive. Seemed to work mostly okay. Had some trouble with the cord, the one provided was too short. Another longer one I had from China didn't work. So I bought a better cord, used that and the drive powered on. Good, I thought that was the end of my trouble.
The drive when I connect it to my computer now gives me an error. Yes, I've had this product a long time but the amount of time I've used it is for about a day watching some movies. That's it!
The drive luckily allowed me to remove the content that I had put on there, no clue how that happened, but I couldn't add anything else. It also constantly gives me different errors and disconnects from my laptop.
I give up. I'm tossing the paperweight and buying a WD. We'll see how that holds up.