Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on November 16, 2015
Update: Thank you Seagate. Seagate was kind enough to send me two 1TB HDs to replace the two HDs that went bad.

I purchased both the 500GB (Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002) and the 1TB (Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003) for different computer builds as the system drive. I purchased both on March 26, 2013.

The 1TB drive started to show errors in January 2015. Symptoms were BSOD, disk errors, failure to boot, and other occasional bumps. I did not get a diagnosis on this until it started to get worse (daily troubles) and I ran gsmartcontrol from sourceforge dot net in November 2015:
"Description- End-to-End error which means that after transferring through the cache RAM data buffer, the parity data between the host and the hard drive did not match. Recommendation - This is a critical parameter. Degradation of this parameter may indicate imminent drive failure. Urgent data backup and hardware replacement is recommended."

At the same time, the 500GB drive had a 30GB file that I was copying on to a removable drive and the Seagate HDD crashed. After many tries, I got the drive to be recognized and boot. But it was clicking and many files were damaged. It would freeze. I could repair the files and they would be damaged again.

I cloned both drives on to new drives that were twice the size of the original (2TB Green and 1TB Blue WD drives) using the free version of macrium reflect v6.

I have had much older computer builds with seagate barracuda drives that lasted 5-7 years with no troubles. This two year failure was a serious disappointment. Now I see Backblaze rates these drives to have a very high failure rate. Further, the seagate tools were not able to diagnose the failing disks! I had to act once the function or data/files started to corrupt. I was tempted to buy HGST (3-year warranty) for the longevity and performance with the higher price or Black WD (5-year warranty).

I chose comparably priced (to the seagate) WD (2-year warranty) to give them a chance. If they fail in 2-years I will go with WD Black or another drive that gives a longer warranty period.

FYI...to clone failing discs...
You can find a video on how easy the macrium program is to use by looking for a youtube video called "Cloning a disk using Macrium Reflect v6." I installed the free program (no spyware), created a macrium rescue disk as directed, then attached the new drive and followed the video steps to clone. 30 minutes later, I connected the new drive in place of the the old drive and rebooted. it seemed fine, but on the second boot, there was a boot problem and so I rebooted with the macrium rescue disc and ran the rescue fix. Now the clone disc runs better than the Seagate.

There are also instructions on these steps including the rescue steps in the macrium user manual (which was reassuring) and if you search for the how to geek article called "how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour" which is where I learned about macrium.

I used macrium for both drives and it was a lifesaver.
66 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2015
As hard drives grow larger and larger, the one fear I always have is reliability. It was one thing to lose a few hundred gigabytes of information, but something entirely different when you lose a terabyte of photos, movies, games, and other information important to your spouse (hint, hint). I am happy to report that Seagate makes a quality product that has not had any issues since first purchased and installed in our system. Of course, this does not alleviate my need to backup my data on an external system (bigger hint), but I am not concerned that my day-to-day operations will be lost because of faulty technology.

A few years back, the hard drive industry was in a race for speed (reported in rotations per minute - RPMs) and size (reported in bytes - MB, GB, TB, etc). While this led to some amazing advertising claims, we really never saw the type of increases that have come recently. Since the first SSD (solid-state drive) was introduced, manufacturers have finally divided their focus - to our benefit. Higher capacities (which do not require amazing speed to read/write) are becoming cheaper and cheaper to acquire in HDDs - while faster loads of the operating system (O/S) and software are being offered by SSDs. Unless your computer is space limited, it is advisable to have both - some things are not better when mixed together.

Overall, if you're looking for an affordable high capacity hard drive, then Seagate fits the bill. It is outfitted with a 6Gb/s connector (which, if supported by your motherboard, is adequate for data transfer) and 64MB of on-drive cache - allowing the drive to better handle data transfers, as it spins and finds the data to feed to the system. I have a large collection of movies, games, and photos and still have plenty of room on this drive. I keep my O/S and other software on my SSD - so if/when I decide to finally upgrade from 1TB to the next, bigger drive - I can simply copy the data from this one to the new one - without any other issues. But always remember - as noted before - make off-machine backups of your important data.
on March 30, 2016
Easy to install right out of the box. Plug and Play, was recognized right away. haven't had any problems in the time I've had this drive in operation. Very pleased so far.

Seagate was the going drive even in the early 1980's. Long before Western Digital came along. I prefer Seagate over WD because of their long years of experience with Hard Drives and reliability. I have had too many WD drive fail on me.

Fast Writes & Reads (176mb/184mb)

- 2X1TB Raid 0 Performance (340mb/380mb)

- Affordable

- Reliable Brand

Other Thoughts: Very impressed with the performance of this drives. It's amazing how much hard drives have improved over the years.

I ran this on Raid 0 on a Mac Pro with a SATA II Interface and was surprised at the read and write performance.

Now obviously an SSD is still going to be faster in many respects, but I honesty, I'm super happy I chose this over an SSD simply because of the storage space.

I've owned an SSD, just so everyone knows. So I'm aware of the amazing speeds, but for those who are price conscious and need more storage this is a great alternative.

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)
on September 27, 2014
Purchased this drive June 16th 2014 to replace a failed Seagate drive, got it because is was a little cheaper than other 1TB drives.
On August 8th it was sent back to Seagate because it was failing, showing a failed long test on Seagate sea tools, Seagate says
if it shows failed long test no question its bad. Spent 9.95 to have a new one shipped 2 day by UPS.
On Sept 22nd Seagate sent another drive because the one I got in August failed a long test on Sea tools, the drive becomes very slow
when trying to open files, click on a file and it may take several minutes for it to open if it opens at all. Trying to retrieve files is like watching
paint peel and some files were lost. When you have years of pictures the last thing you want is to deal with is this type of problem.
At least they did not charge me again to replace this one.
I,m not sure if I,m going to use this new drive, maybe just get WD Green or Black and keep this one as a reminder.
on April 16, 2018
Bought two of these in 2014 and used in a RAID 0. One of the two drives failed pretty hard starting in Feb of 2018. Didn't even get 4 years out of it. I have much older drives that are still kicking around with no issues (I seriously have a 4.3GB Western Digital drive I bought in 1997 that is still working fine in a Linux firewall/router box). Luckily SeaTools for DOS was able to repair some bad sectors in Feb when it first failed and I was able to get my important data off. Now in April, the drive is toast for good. SeaTools Long Scan/Repair finds a couple errors, then hangs, the drive starts clicking, then SeaTools says it can't repair the drive. I honestly expected much better quality from Seagate based on past experience. Giving three stars because one of the two drives still works like a champ and SeaTools is awesome software, but I don't trust the other drive much anymore.
on December 29, 2016
So I just bought this drive to replace the exact same drive that I have had in my computer for around 4-5 years now. The drive started to to slow down extremely fast, one day it was reading and writing around 30 MB/s and the next, it was around 4-5 KB/s. Realizing that my hard drive is probably starting to fail, I decided the buy a replacement for it. I copied over all the data from the old drive to the new and half the data got corrupted in the process. I decided to just do a reformat and re-download all the files and programs that I would need. This fixed the drive for about a day, then it started showing the same symptoms as the old hard drive again. I contacted seagate support, which got back to me within a day or two. I did what they also said, but it did not change that status of the drive, which said it was healthy and good.

Then I decided to pull open my computer again because maybe the sata connection could be lose or maybe the sata cable is going bad. I changed the sata cable that was plugged into the drive and changed the sata port that is was plugged into because maybe my motherboards sata ports somehow got damaged. This didn't change anything with the drive, and I know that the cables and ports are good because I plugged in my 2 ssd's into these ports to check them, and they still read and write around 400 MB/s and have no problems. After looking at the drive for a while it seems that it can read and write at good speeds but only for a few nano seconds at a time. The reason for this is the drive has an average response time of 300-600 ms. While I don't know why a new drive would have this bad a of response time, it is clearly what is causing the drive to not be able to do anything, heck I couldn't even reformat the drive today because the response time was so bad.

So I want to RMA the drive and get a new one, anyone that could possibly shed some light on how I would do this would be extremely helpful. Does anyone know if it is done through amazon or is it done through seagate support.
Thanks
on November 28, 2016
After receiving the drive, I installed it in a refurbished computer, and installed Fedora 25 in UEFI mode with no problems. Then I checked the drive health with SMART. The surface scan found no errors, and most SMART indicators showed "new" levels. However, attribute 195 shows 4%

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f 072 069 006 Pre-fail Always - 17959705
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 22
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 004 004 000 Old_age Always - 17959705

I'm not sure if this a bug, or a defective drive, but one would think that SMART would be checked automatically on the way out the factory door.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 21, 2015
Purchased 3 for recent system upgrade that turned in to a "while your at it, might as well" complete new system build.
2 drives used as a mirrored system drive and 1 drive as a backup cold spare.
After about 2 weeks I started seeing some random system stability issues that quickly progressed.
1 drive failed in a little less then 3 weeks of up time.
Sending the dead drive back to Seaget for warranty replacement.
No data lose! thanks to the RAID implementation on an MSI z95 PC Mate m/b and Intel rapid storage tech software.
Recovery was painless it took about 2 hours to rebuild the 0.9 1TB volume with about 180B used. A lot less time and effort if I'd had to rebuild the system volume from scratch.
I hadn't enabled "hot plug" in the m/b bios so I had to power down to swap drives.
All important files and data are stored on a Qnap NAS. iSCSI volumes are awesome!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 29, 2015
I have long been a fan of Seagate Barracuda hard drives. So, when I decided to buy some spares to use with my Thermaltake BlacX docking station to backup my files these were my first and main consideration.

I bout two 500GB drives and a 1TB drive to add to the two 500GB drives I already use for backup.

I bought from Amazon because it was the best price.

I did not necessarily need 500GB drives but, I discovered that anything smaller (the smallest I could find from Seagate was 250GB) was pretty much the same price as the 500GB drives and they were reconditioned. So, whether or not I actually needed 500GB per drive didn't matter since I would pay roughly the same price for anything smaller and it would have been reconditioned rather than new.

I have not had these particular drives long enough to know if they will have the same quality I have come to expect from Seagate but, I have no reason to believe they won't.
on February 6, 2016
The hard drives that I bought have a faulty chip that does overheat, and that lead to three of my four drives failing to run after two months. One of the drives chips even burned out. I have not used one drive and I can use the other two drives I used, but only on a cooling pad for a notebook computer. I have been in contact with Seagate about this matter. They did not admit to me any problem with the drives. I had one Seagate drive fail on me before. I got a a new controller board for it, and it has been working great for a long time now. I only hope that If I do the same for the one that burned out, and get a controller board that will not have that overheating problem in the chips that the drives I have used have all had.