Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 13, 2016
There are several considerations to take into account when ordering a hard drive. Size, cost, reliability are among the top three. I was purchasing this for a NAS, Namely the Netgear 1500. This drive was so easy to use that all I did was take out the old drive and replace it with this one and it spun up and immediately began the process of adding the drive to the rebuild of the RAID.

For those who don't know what that means it simply means that this drive is extremely easy to use and incorporate into your system whether it is a computer or part of an advanced system.

Seagate drives are reliable and cost efficient.
on April 26, 2016
That was the reason for me to order this drive -- "Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) option (AES-256) cuts IT drive retirement costs while securely protecting data where it lives-on the drive".
After installation of "sedutil" ((...)) it did not find any compatible drive, only a regular SATA-drive.
Further search shows that the Seagate ES.2 series offers SED but the model sold here (ST32000645NS) is one of the versions WHICH LACK SELF-ENCRYPTION FEATURE ((...) )

If you're okay with that, this drive can be a good choice -- I will return mine since it is not as advertised
on July 18, 2013
I fell for it again: when the price ($175) is too good to be true - don't buy it. Yet as it is sold through Amazon, I was hoping for a miracle. Unfortunately, no miracles, not even on Amazon.

The description said nothing about the warranty and I assumed these were legit US drives with manufacturer warranty. I also sent a message to the seller asking about the warranty. No response.

Purchased the drives anyway and the moment they arrived, checked the warranty with Seagate. Seagate says it's an OEM drive, i.e. "The product you identified was sold as a system component", and asks to "Contact Place of Purchase" for any warranty issues. That means, "no manufacturer warranty".

The label on the drive says something about "European regulatory address" which makes me think the drives are "gray market", not for sale in the US.

The drives were advertised as "Seagate Constellation ES, part number ST33000650NS". Actual p/n: ST33000651NS, and the description says, "Constellation ES.2 SED" - i.e. significantly different from description. I asked to return the drives and will also file a claim with the seller for what basically is false advertising: errors in part numbers and description, omitting materially important information from description (such as, "no manufacturer warranty").

This specific seller (Prince Technology LLC) does not appear to be selling these drives anymore, yet there are other sellers that appear engaged in similar practices of selling gray market drives to Amazon buyers, with no manufacturer warranty. I hope Amazon puts a lid on this.

Hope this information helps other buyers.
on June 14, 2015
The Seagate are all we use in our data center. We ordered 10, following another order of 10 about a year ago - this was not to replace Seagates originally purchased. When we created our cluster we ended up with drives by other manufacturers, and we had failure on occasion with those. We're at high risk if we lose data, so we returned to the old tried and true standby Seagate. We trust our data is safe and now that we have these, we can have peace of mind. And about the warranty - never would have needed it anyway, but were satisfied with going to the manufacturer if ever needed.
on May 17, 2017
Great product, great price, fast delivery
on October 1, 2013
I bought four of these to use in an n-1 redundancy scheme in a Synology NAS. Read/Write times are very good (Can't speak to the read speeds off the top of my head but writes top out at 40MBps (That's Bytes, not bits) over gigabit LAN. Had these for over a year and not one problem. Tip to anybody doing these, space out when you buy the hard disks, and perhaps get them from multiple suppliers and multiple brands. If I could do it again I would do this. Drives manufactured within a narrow time frame will have the similar lifespans and defects. This is the opposite of what you want with any N-x configuration.
on March 1, 2017
Works well, drive has a slight vibration to it, possible bearing issue, but did it work yes, can i read and write data yes, so until i upgrade this should so the trick.
on January 20, 2017
Used less than 30 days, EXT4 format and failed badly. Trying to remove it I lost 850GB of data on a secondary drive. To say I'm less than happy is a gross understatement. I can't see myself buying Seagate again for a very long time
on August 4, 2013
I have recently built four new computers with these drives. I have had ZERO problems with the drives and I love the 5 year warranty and the much longer rated life. I have four in one RAID5 setup, and six more in RAID1 mode. So far nothing but good service. A Note: Be SURE to check that the unit you are getting has the 5 year warranty. I think this only applies to USA sold/used units from real Seagate distributors.
on February 17, 2013
When you put so much capacptiy on a drive, it MUST be ultra reliable. The sheer size of the drive makes backups etc a bit tough. This was a great price. I think the EA3 was mislabeled. It was really an ES2. A bit less cache - but it meets my goals perfectly