Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on August 20, 2010
This review is for the 1TB product, just so we're clear. Amazon seems to slap them all together ignoring the drive sizes and you can't do that with hard drives. I'm a Seagate man. All my hard drives/externals are Seagate or Hitachi...keep that in mind.

I purchased the drive in June of 2010, it was in it's death bed by August of 2010.
The drive was used with a media box, a hdprimo to be precise, from brite-view. The drive worked fine for about a few weeks and then developed clicking noises.

I performed tests from Seagate (Seatools) and the drive tested fine, so I figured the drive was probably just one of those louder ones which make noises when either going to sleep or waking (despite my better judgment which states "loud clicking hard drives are 90% of the time ready to die" - my view changed because recently I noticed and have had several situations (that other 10%) where loud clicking drives worked fine for years. The tests were passed, but I'd only done short tests.

A few weeks later, the clicking noises became constant and the drive light blinked even when the drive was unplugged from the usb. These drives sleep when unplugged from the USB....it's not a REAL sleep mode though, because the drive has no power switch meaning technically it's always on. Generally though, the green light goes off when the device is no longer getting a usb connection ie: there's no power over the usb cable. So when the HDPrimo is powered down, the drive light goes off.
Not only that but now it would take upwards of 2 to 3 minutes to see the data on the drive from the HDPrimo or the computer.
It got so bad that the media box eventually stopped detecting the Seagate external at all.
I did the tests again and lo and behold, the drive failed the Short Drive Self Test. I used the code and sent the drive for repair/replacement. They sent back a brand new external which a few days later (yes, I said days) is clicking again :/

I may just be unlucky. But it's expensive bad luck. I'm actually out of the US right now and paid upwards of $100 dollars to send the drive back to Seagate and get the new drive cleared through customs. Yes, that is even more than I PAID for it on Amazon.
($30 for shipping using Fedex, $70 for freight/customs back to me). I begged Seagate warranty to send me a different TYPE of external, any kind....as long as it wasn't this and they assured me 100% that these drives are top notch...regardless according to the agent, the drive cannot be switched or swapped for another type.

Well, all I have to say is not s'much Seagate - whatever you're putting into these things SUCK.

You Amazon customers have been warned. Generally I love Seagate but this is a really bad batch of product. I don't know if there are interface issues or if the 1TB drives they put in them are the problem but 2 bad drives in 3 months is enough for me. I have a classic Freeagent with usb2 and esata (the ones with the orange light) and that things been kicking since I got it more than 4 years ago.

P.S I want to note that even if you're in the US or able to send the drive back for 'free' - it's not really free at all; you're looking at shipping costs which are $10-$20 depending on how you do it, normally I use Seagate's Advanced Warranty which is $20 and I'd get the new drive back and a box to put the bad one into to send back with prepaid shipping.
That however cannot be done internationally. If the drive fails on you 4 times in 2 years (and it will, call it a premonition), you've paid for it twice in warranties considering the drive itself is like $80. That's just a quick thinker for you. Seagate will under no circumstances swap the type of drive so you're really not benefiting from the 2 year warranty....unless of course you're one of the very few people who gets one that lives for more than a few months at a time.

Good Luck.

UPDATE:

The replacement unit which was brand new from Seagate has also died. It failed within roughly 5 months of use. I'm now going to have to battle it out with Seagate to replace it with something else because I am NOT getting another one of these.

Please, owners that are having/had had trouble with this? Email Amazon and ask them to stop stocking it. There is definitely something terribly wrong with these things and it's terrible that there are people (who don't read reviews) who are going to buy this drive, backup their data and lose it all.
on July 5, 2010
Drive makes loud clicking noise & eventually fails.

The symptom:
Drive works fine for the first few GB's, and once it gets somewhere around 50 to 300 GB, it starts making loud clicking noise. The more data added to the drive the more frequent the clicking noise become and eventually the drive fails.

Analysis:
As the first few sectors of the platter / platters, the traveling distance (from the edge of palter to the center) for the head arm is not that great. But as more data gets written to the disk, inner sectors of platters gets occupied with data. That's when the problem starts.

Without going into technical details, the issue here is not the drive. It is the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) that is installed in these external enclosures. This board regulates & provide power to the drive and in simple terms, there is not enough power for the disk to spin and for the head arm to extend far to reach inner sectors of the platter / platters .

I have tried many solutions recommended on the internet, including a youtube video posted by a person identified in this video as Bruce. None has worked. Some others suggested to change the usb cable, others suggested a firmware upgrade, some suggested to send the drive back to Seagate for replacement. Some people has done that but they got a new replacement drive that did the same clicking noise, and had to be sent back again. Do not waste your time on these suggestions, because I have tried them all before I started looking & analyzing the problem myself.

Seagate is well aware of this issue, but not only they are down playing the extent of this problem, they continue to sell these defective external boxes. In fact the first time this issue was reported on Seagate forum was 06-19-2009 06:50 AM. Up to the writing of this review, there are more than 31 pages from thousands of people reporting the issue with clicking noise & drive failure on Expansion boxes.

Solution & your options:
1 - If you just bought an Expansion, return it while you can get your money back.
2 - If it is under warranty, do not return it to Seagate. If you do, you end up with another defective drive that you have to send back again & each time cost $15.00 to $30.00 just for shipping (inside U.S.). Do one of the following:
A) Buy a new non-Seagate external enclosure (many good brand are in the market between $14.00 to $39.00). Take the drive out of Seagate Expansion enclosure and place it on the new one (this may void your warranty, but it is a permanent fix). Yes, You have break the tabs to open it. Seagate purposely made it non-serviceable.

B) If you can find a PCB that matches the Seagate Expansion box power & USB port openings, replace the PCB.
In my case, I replaced the case with a new enclosure.

C) Never buy a Seagate drive. They have been less than sincere & straight forward with their customers & continue to sell a defective product that they are well aware of it.
4242 comments| 582 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I got this to use on a Linux system for backups. There were problem with the default power settings which don't affect windows, but cause it to dissapear on Linux. The segate management tools need to be run on a windows PC to change the drive settings so it does not go to sleep if you use it on Linux. It appears to spin down, but does not power down the USB when I change the settings, so it still seems to save power. Just not so much...

Once I got past the drive settings issue and formatted it in ext3 it because a reliable piece of backup medium. I'm goving it 4 starts because it was not setup in a Linux friendly manner out of the box.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 11, 2011
Unfortunately, this particular 3 TB Seagate expansion drive was Dead On Arrival.

SEAGATE Expansion 3 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STAY3000100 Black

After plugging in, it started making loud scratching and thumping noises. Never had a problem with a Seagate before.
Called Seagate directly and returned the item directly to them. Would not take a chance with Tiger Direct again. They've lost my business on this one.

The item was not packed very well and although the interior box seemed sturdy enough, there was little packing material protecting the inner box from the world of UPS drivers.

Don't know if it was the shipping that caused the damage or if the drive was no good from the start.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2011
the drive is fine i like the case..it came with some managment software called "desktop" which for features that should have been free you have to pay for...so did not care for that (read on there is a work around)

it also (as mentioned in prev posts) has an issue with being preset to power down after 15min

after i bought this drive i found out about these issues the work around is as follows

go to the seagate site or google for the 'freeagent" desktop util used on seagates freeagent type external usb drives it does everything needed and is free...after you install this verssion of seagate management software (just delete the desktop managment software or don't install it ..the software that comes with this drive imho sucks) anyway once you install the more robust and free 'freeagent' seagate management software ..go to the power options and set the drive from power down every 15min to never

now if seagate simply would backtrack take off the 'for cost' (or at least it yells at me to buy it) desktop drive management software and simply replace it with their free "freeagent" drive management software it uses on its freeagent brand of external usb drives and also just set the default for power down to never rather then the 15min powerdown option the drive comes with now ...i'd give it 5 out of 5

anyway don't despair if you have already gotten the drive these fixes work just great (at least on my toshiba p500 laptop with win 7 pro) so for $89 free shipping for the 2tb above with the tweaks (er i found these tweaks via google you can do the same if you want to follow up on the above) it is well worth the price and the brief 10min hassle of downloading the freeagent managment pkg to replace the "desktop pkg" (both by seagate) and viola works like a charm

hopefully by the time you read this they will have fixed these issues

4 out of 4 stars

my 2c worth

brad
on December 2, 2011
The external drive came with optional installation software for backup and security purposes but were strictly optional (THANK GOD) I hate having to download essential extra software in order to use devices like these but with Seagate things are a little more simple.

Plugged it in and like with most external drives and flash drives, a few tiny MBs are missing but theres no big loss there, design is pretty sleek, came nicely packaged. Worth a look at if you like downloading loads of pictures, music and movies. 1 TB is enough, I don't see myself buying another one of these for another 2-5 years.
on June 19, 2010
I just purchased my second seagate 1.5 tb drive as I find them to be quite affordable for such a large drive.

That said, hard-drives do fail, and I did have a problem with my first seagate drive. I returned it to Seagate and they promptly replaced it.

Why do drives fail? There are three reasons - manufacturing defect, shock and overheating. Lower priced drives; such as this one, are usually not as shock resistant as more expensive drives. If they experience a sudden shock from a drop or fall they are more likely to be damaged. That's why its important to locate external drives on a solid platform (not the top of a tower PC or the edge of a table) and ensure that cables are not placed where they will cause the drive to fall if pulled upon. Also, you don't want to bury a drive under piles of papers or magazines. They need ventilation for proper cooling.

I use my two seagate drives for file backups and rotate the drives weekly. This ensures that one backup drive is not connected to the PC, and thus protected from any power surges that may hit the PC; which is protected by a surge protector. If one backup drive fails, I have a second drive in reserve.
on February 6, 2015
Could be smaller, does not work without AC power. Not portable at all. Only for desktop systems, consoles, media devices.

I bought it as an external storage device for a WD TV Live I have at home, and it works perfectly, although it takes a while for the device to index it when turned on (don't know who's fault it is).

The original drive failed on me. Upon researching online, I discovered that this drive had a bigger-than-usual fail rate, to the point that users flagged it as a product to be avoided. Seagate apparently discovered the problem, since the one I got from them (apparently a new one, didn't seem refurbished) works perfectly to this day. Kudos to Seagate's 3-year worldwide warranty. No problems using it.
on October 1, 2015
When I bought this Seagate USB 2.0 External 1 TB Hard drive in 2009 I was not so sure about how good this will be as I had seen mixed reviews about it. But this drive is wonderful and doing a great job till date!

I have changed desktops and laptops, but this drive is running strong and is my reliable backup for everything. All my data, family & vacation pictures and videos are stored here and there's room for more.

I am glad I bought this external hard drive. I have always had good experience with Seagate and when I run out of space will buy this again without a doubt!

Love it !!!
on February 28, 2017
When I received this I hooked it up and stored all of photos on it. After several years of use I started seeing it failing. I was able to transfer all my photos and then it died. I am not complaining. It served it's purpose for years and after all it is a replaceable item. I upgraded to an SSD and was amazed at how fast these are in comparison. I would recommend this to those who may not be able to justify the expense of an SSD