Bubble Witch Saga 3 Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Cyber Monday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Plus Cyber Monday Deals: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 16, 2013
Hi there folks,

After reading many of the negative reviews regarding issues with this drive I must first state that I have had ZERO issues. This being said, I've had issues with other external drives/devices dismounting(self-ejecting) on my Mac. I will address this momentarily after I give a short review on this drive. I've had this drive for a couple of weeks now and it is flawless. I use this one on my Macbook Pro with Time Machine backup from Apple. It is connected via USB 3.0 presently plugged into a Targus USB 3.0 hub expansion. The computer identifies this drive as it should (USB 3.0). It is extremely fast and quiet. I plan to purchase a second one of these drives to run via one of my Thunderbolt ports with an Apple adapter. I've tested it out with one of these adapters (borrowed it from another device :-) it is LIGHTNING FAST!

I'm running a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with OSX 10.8.4 Mountain Lion.

For those that just can't get their drives recognized or to show in 'Finder':

I'll start with proper formatting. Be sure your new drive has been formatted as 'Mac OS Extended (journaled)' and that the partition map scheme is 'GUID Partition Table.' Even though your drive should have come formatted for your Mac 'out of the box', sometimes they just don't.

An important factor worth mentioning is to be sure you're running your external storage device with the most recent firmware. Just because that shiny new drive came fresh out of the factory sealed box, doesn't mean you have the latest firmware. Keeping your firmware up to date is a most definite necessity as each and every day brings us new features and function in our operating systems.

Ensure your USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt connections are functioning properly; this is especially important if you are using an expandable multi-port hub with your system. Via 'System Report' pull up 'Hardware' and 'USB', 'Firewire', 'Thunderbolt' (whichever applies. Look at the data and be certain everything is being found, and found correctly. If you see something that is not being found, or is being found incorrectly (USB 3.0 connection being found as a USB 2.0 as an example) be certain of a couple of things:

Check that your power for all of your devices are connected (external drive power, power for your hub). You may have been using your hub passively running other low consumption devices on it with line level voltage from your computer with no problems. Your hub must have its own power to run a device of this type. Another possibility is your cable may be damaged, or you're plugged into a USB hub or USB port on your computer that only supports USB 2.0.

Here are some solutions for most of the folks I'm sure, who are having problems with self-dismount/improper-eject:

The first thing I discovered when I had problems with other external drives dismounting is that power management in newer Mac products use a VERY LOW POWER sleep mode, almost to hibernation state. Most external drives can only detect a connection to a computer when the computer is sending a line level signal via connection cable. When newer macs enter sleep mode the power is beneath the threshold level these external devices are capable of sensing. Therefore, when the computer sleeps, the drive thinks the computer is off and puts itself to sleep causing improper dismount or self-eject, and of course generating the message that the device has been improperly ejected. Yes, this can damage files. What is required when using these devices is to either eject the drive manually through the Finder Window, and then let your computer sleep, or adjust your power management setting in the "Energy Saver" tab to "NEVER" for the 'Computer Sleep' setting. Also in the same Energy Saver window, be certain to UNCHECK 'Put hard disks to sleep whenever possible," and UNCHECK 'Enable Power Nap.'

Many external drives have there own power management features as well, that can be set from its own settings window and these operate independently of OSX. If these devices are set for a sleep mode before OSX sleeps, it will cause itself to eject improperly from the OS and you will get error messages and possibly corrupt data and or your back up. Where these devices offer power management settings, it is advisable to disable any sleep settings. Until all of the manufacturers catch up with ultra low power connection discovery, it is highly recommended that you manually eject your drive through OSX Finder prior to any time you plan to let your computer sleep, or before you turn it off. This should be rule of thumb for any external storage device connected to a Mac. I personally leave my computer on full time during the day with external drives ready at the helm. I have had ZERO issues since discovering these things.

This said, some users will have their external drives plugged into a power strip separate from their computer; and I know people who do this; will turn off the power strip when shutting down the computer; the computer may not be ready and when the power to the drive is shut down...voila, improper eject.

Another item that contributes to these issues is energy preference settings being stored by other programs accessing perhaps your old external storage device. When I first experienced some of this behavior at discussion, I had replaced my WD MyBook Studio for Mac with this Seagate Backup Plus for Macdrive. The WD has power management options and when set were also being stored by Time Machine. I deleted the preference file for Time Machine (not to worry, the Mac makes a new one ;-)), by doing the following:

1) Turn off Time Machine via Time Machine Preferences window.

2) Open the 'Finder' window.

3) Eject External Hard Drive via 'Finder' window.

4) Click on Macintosh HD.

5) Click on Library.

6) Click on Preferences.

7) Locate the file named 'com.apple.TimeMachine.plist' and DELETE it (Move to Trash).

8) Restart your computer

Another item that may warrant attention is a permission reset if you've moved data from the old storage device to the new one:

1) Reboot and hold Command + R

2) Terminal and type 'resetpassword' (no spaces)

3) Select main drive at top of dialogue box that appears, then select 'reset permissions/ACL at the bottom of the box.

4) Reboot computer.

5) Open 'Disk Utility' in Apps and reset main hard drive permissions.

6) Reboot computer.

This process resets the user permissions folder. One way to avoid going through all of this is to use your 'Migration Tool' found in your Apps folder.

This one probably goes without saying; however, I've read many, many forum complaints that the backup software that came with their drive either won't install or doesn't function properly on their mac. USE TIME MACHINE. Most Manufacturers even specify to use Time Machine instead of their own software. There is a reason for this; no other backup software comes close to keeping your files as safe and secure as they will be with TM.

Happy computing!
88 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I bought this last week believing it would solve a number of my storage problems on my 2011 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.3.

Before purchasing this drive, please do yourself a favor and read all of the 1-2 stars on Amazon of people having problems with the "Disk Ejecting Prematurely". After that, Google "problems with Seagate drives Ejecting from Mac", and what you will find is a flood (thousands) of problems with the 2, 3, and 4 TB drives inadvertently ejecting from Mac's. In some cases, there has been a USB driver fix from Seagate for the 500 Gig and 1 TB models. However, because the 3 and 4 TB models are so new, people are pointing fingers at both Apple and Seagate waiting for a fix.

I am a technical person that works in the IT industry, and am very savvy with both Mac and PC. After nearly 12 hours of troubleshooting, I realized the problem was much deeper and complex, requiring work on behalf of Seagate and Apple. I scoured discussion forums on Seagate for hours, everyone having the same problem, but no one at Seagate seemed to have an answer, download, or a fix for the problem. I returned the drive to Amazon today, because I need something that works now, not something that will eventually work later.

Historically, Seagate has made really reliable drives. However, the density of the disks are becoming so great and the communications connections so advanced (thunderbolt), that we are bound to see things like this cropping up. I suggest you wait at least 3-6 months before buying this drive until they work out the USB/Thunderbolt issues. Certainly, if you have made it work fine, I would be thrilled to hear what your fix was.

Thanks,
Jason
2323 comments| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2017
MacBook Pro, Sierra, 10.12.5

I am truly amazed.
- Try to install the Seagate SW that shipped on the drive. It is advertised "for Mac" on the box. It does not install. FAIL.
- Register on the Seagate site. Input drive SN. The site tells me a firmware update is needed. Download the firmware update. Runs but said something like "No drive requiring this firmware connected to the system" (not a quote). Is it the wrong firmware updater? If it needs an update, I would REALLY like it to be updated and avoid any "issues". FAIL.
- Download SW from the confusing Seagate Support site. Who knows if it is the correct SW for the drive. Doesn't matter cuz it won't install. FAIL

Is there any QA on this stuff? Very unimpressed. Deduct a star for the SW issues. The drive seems to function fine.

Solution: Do the "Erase" operation in the Mac disk utility. Now, Time Machine recognizes the drive and the backup begins.
on September 1, 2016
It worked great with Time Machine as my regular backup, that is, until it didn't. (Not what you want to hear for a backup). I wish it told me it was about to give up! Just stopped one day. Done. No spinning, not recognized, tried everything. I give two stars instead of one because I got 2 1/2 years out of it and I had fortunately started making double backups with another drive. Still, for over $250 it should still be working. I haven't had trouble with four other Seagate external drives ("knock-knock") so I suspect it may be a problem with the Thunderbolt adapter. I got it in December of 2013, right before all the negative reviews started showing up saying pretty much the same thing. Maybe they're better now, in 2016.
on April 12, 2017
This was my third Seagate purchase, all three have been a complete disaster. I purchased this unit as a desk top, it just quit working with no indication of any problem, of course it is virtually impossible to retrieve all my "backed up" and "saved" data which of course is no longer either. My experience with Seagate is miserable. The quality of manufacture is poor, connectivity with my computer is iffy, warranty is ephemeral at best, customer service does not exist. I wish there was something positive I could say about Seagate products but I have had nothing but bad luck.
on August 4, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS. I am a professional photographer, and go through external hard drives far too quickly. I bought two of these drives to replace two drives that are currently full. I set up the drive on my Mac and transferred over my working folder (about 700GB) and decided to sleep during the transfer. Woke up to a prompt that the drive was removed improperly. I figured it was a single issue and tried to transfer again. Came home from work to the same prompt. Moved the drive to see if there was motion that was somehow disconnecting it. Began transfer again, and it finally finished the transfer (about 8 hours). Finder began freezing repetitively and prompting that the drive was removed improperly but the drive remained on my sidebar as a USB connection. I had to force a shut down a minimum of 4 times. Finally decided I would return the items, at which point I decided to remove my files and empty the trash. The drive disconnected repeatedly and froze the Finder on my comp multiple times when trying to delete the content. All in all, this drive was the worst experience I have had with an external hard drive. Once the drive was removed, everything worked perfectly.
on April 15, 2016
It lasted exactly 22 month. If thats what you would expect. buy it. My experience is they all fail at some point between 2 - 4 years depending on usage. this live was short. The good part about this version is it's Sata setup. I was able to change the broken drive inside the housing in 15 minutes with a little work and now it goes for the next few years. Low cost replacement solution. You can insert any 3.5 " SATA drive
on March 12, 2013
The performance of this drive under Mac OS X 10.8.2 is unacceptable as the drive will repeatedly cause the error "The disk was ejected improperly, always eject a disk before..." and then the system will hang (spinning pinwheel in the Finder). The time for this problem to present varies and has ranged from < ~30 sec to as "long" as ~5 minutes.

The is the 2nd drive (both Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB drives) that has demonstrated this unacceptable behavior.

I have spent over 4 hours trying various combinations of using the Seagate supplied software and not. I have been forced to reboot my system over 20 times while attempting to troubleshoot this problem. I have attempted to reformat this drive without success. I have investigated the disk "sleep" settings on the Mac without any obvious benefit. I have researched this on the Seagate support website and in multiple user forums. This error is well documented in multiple locations on the web.

I strongly encourage other potential users of this drive to research the information available on the web before purchasing this drive if your intended use is on a Mac.
on April 10, 2013
I received the drive yesterday, plugged it in today. By the time finder recognized the drive and I was able to click on it to open it, I received a message that the drive had been improperly disconnected. It is the only USB connection at present, so there should be nothing interfering with it. To get the drive recognized again, I had to restart my system. This time I did not attempt to access the drive, just let it sit. Within 5 minutes, it disconnected again. I've checked that all of the connections are secure, and the power cable is properly connected. After ten tries, I've given up. The only use I can consider it being good for is if I glued a thin plate of metal to the bottom and turned it into a bookend. As an external hard drive, it is useless. Who would I recommend this product to?- people with very low blood pressure who need a bit of elevating, or someone in need of an overpriced brick-shaped object to toss about.

[edit: I ended up returning the drive and being shipped a new one. The new one also failed to connect for any length of time. The Seagate support rep sent me a link to a firmware update, which of course did not recognize the drive and could not be installed. My last attempt to get the drive working was to purchase the optional Firewire 800 base. With that installed, the drive has been working flawlessly. Either The USB 3 cable or base must have been defective on both drives that they sent me. Hopefully the drive is of better quality than the included cables and bases. And hopefully Seagate will consider selling the drive with the Firewire base as the default, as the USB 3 version is total crap as far as I can tell. I bumped my rating up to 3 stars now that the drive is working. If it didn't end up costing me an extra $44 for a new base to get it working, I would have given it a 5-star rating, as the shipping was prompt and the product, now that it can actually connect, seems to be reliable.]
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
Began developing "irreparable" formatting errors early on, which Disk Utility could't repair, but Seagate fixed with new firmware and reformatting. Then worked beautifully for a couple of years under Mac OS X 10.8.x before the same formatting errors gradually came back, eventually causing system-wide slowdowns and freezes. Apparently, the current solution involves third-party utility software and a spare drive to backup the backup--which would seem to make this a pointless choice for a backup drive on a Mac, regardless of the words on the box.

I'm in the process of trying to recover data via third-party utilities. "If I had known then what I know now," I would NOT have bought the drive. Assuming recovery works, I plan to reformat it for Windows, so it may not end up a complete loss. FWIW, several Western Digital drives have had similar issues, lending credence to claims this is partially an Apple problem. However, I've had no Mac problems with internal drives in simple external enclosures, which may result from them not trying to show off any complex features beyond normal data storage. "Boring" is often the most reliable option.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.