Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 5, 2012
Here is the original review with 1-star:

--------------------------------------------------

Extreeeeeeeeemly Slow! Drives Me Crazy!
=======================================

Purchased it for the purpose of storing multimedia (Video and Photo) files. My computer and the router are both Gigabit devices. However the transfer speed always around only 1MB per second! Such speed make it impossible to watch video! I purchased two devices: One is for myself usage and the other is for my brother as a gift.

BTW, For all the Seagate's replies to comments, None of the link they provided works out! I always got the message: "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found". What the hell is this?

----------------------------------------------------

Now I found I was wrong: Actually due to the mismatch driver of my network card it only performs at 10Mbit/sec. After downloaded updated driver from the PC motherboard's manufacturer, the network bandwidth becomes 1Gbit/sec and the transfer rate become over 50MB/sec (equal to 400Mbit/sec), same as the USB 3.0 dock station (I purchased it to replace the low-speed network dock station).

The lesson I took is, before complaining to the product's quality, check the system's configuration to make sure the system's performance meets the product's requirements.

Now I am very satisfied to this product. I give it 5-star.
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2015
I purchased this drive in order to have a hard drive that would automatically backup over wifi. I set it up and did the initial backup. Then somehow my computer "disconnected" itself from the drive - the disk shows in Finder but when I clicked on it, it said it was "not connected." I tried "connecting" but could not remember the username I had set up. I spent hours and hours on the completely worthless Seagate support page trying to figure out how to identify my username or reset the drive. It said to hit the reset button on the drive, but no such thing exists on this model. I tried connecting the drive directly to my computer but it didn't even recognize that the drive existed (all other external hard drives I've used are recognized right away). I finally figure out the username and log in and am able to see the files on the hard drive. But now Time Machine won't back up to the hard drive because it insists the hard drive is not connected. I can view the hard drive files in Finder - I selected the hard drive in Time Machine as though it were a new drive, but all in vain. I've wasted two weeks trying to get this stupid good-for-nothing hard drive to work. I've had multiple portable hard drives (also from Seagate) with absolutely no issues but this piece of junk is nothing but issue after issue after issue. I'm about to reformat it several times and then send it back and tell them to put it where the sun does not shine. Worthless piece of junk. Don't waste time or money with this Seagate product.
on February 8, 2013
I received for Christmas, This thing has a total of 3 terabits, the soft ware was very simple to use. Also it has a side port on the base to plug in a thumb drive. it took me a while to discover the locate of this drive in my computer, so it can be a hidden drive.

the first thing you have to do is give it a
(1) Network name: (write these names that you are assigning to it).
(2) User Name:
(3) Password:
Then as it is being installed, you will then see under the window my computer.
what is nice that if you have a router that has addition Ethernet ports you can plug directly into these ports and have it a stand alone hard drive. I mounted this drive behind my TV where I have my internet TV connected to a Ethernet switch. so there is no way that other people in my family knows where it is being kept. than you can allocate who on your network has access or limited access to this drive. when you see the drive in My Computer it appears as three separate drives but in reality, it is only one drive which has different priorities. the fill bar that indicates storage space will all be equal. also there is an app for Android that always you to access this net work drive while on the go if you are connected to the internet. it means if on machine is down you still have access to this drive with the other machines on the network.
on November 17, 2013
This is a must have item if you want to backup your laptops or computers with ease and confidence. I Purchased this item November 30, 2012 and have been very happy with it since. It is true that when setting up a new device in the technology world, it can be either user friendly or user confusing. This product works as described and more. The FreeAgent GoFlex has become my go to device when i need to move any desktop item such as documents, photos or music of any kind to another computer or laptop that is connected to my network. It is important to know that when you set this device up for the first backup and transfer. It could take hours or even a day to move all your data. Music and Photos will take the longest to transfer because of there size. Once the transfer is done you will be able to setup automatic backups and it then becomes a breeze. In my opinion, this is a very, very good Product.
on May 9, 2013
If you are a gambler and you luck out the drive will work when you run the GoFlex Home setup application on the GoFlex Home Install CD. I gambled and lost. Got the same problem described elsewhere - "Your GoFlex Home cannot reach seagateshare.com". Disabling all my firewalls did not help. Since I have a Goflex firewire/USB base as well I formatted the drive on my MacPro with Mac OS Extended (journaled) via the Disk utility and the drive worked fine. However I needed to be able to use that base for another drive which I had planned to copy to this networked drive, so this was not a workaround.

As I later learned after a few hours on the line with Seagate support formatting the drive was a big mistake. It turns out that the drive has to be formatted with FAT. The OS/X 10.8 disk utility does not include FAT as a formatting option. So I downloaded the Paragon FAT driver (which is also available from Seagate on the wireless Plus product download page) and reformatted the drive. Unfortunately the driver in Disk Utility does not allow you to format it as a Master Boot Record partition - the option was greyed out. This may be required in order for it to work. I don't know since I don't have a PC to attach the drive to so I could format it with MBR, which evidently would be the only way to do it. We reflashed the firmware. No luck - just a solid green light when the drive is off the base, a flashing yellow on when it is on it.

So now the drive is a brick on the network cradle and the only way to get it working again is if you have a PC. I mentioned to the support person that this clearly indicates that this drive is not for a MAC as if anything goes wrong you can't fix it. He insisted that it was a MAC drive that works if you use it properly. Difference of opinion here.

Here a couple of diagnostic tips:

Remove the drive from the drive cradle and if the green light comes on after a power cycle then you have network connectivity. Confirm this by bringing up a terminal window and type in arp -a. If you see a MAC address that starts with 00:10 then ping the IP address associated with that MAC address and if it works you know that the your computer does see the drive on the network. You may still have an issue getting off the network to segateshare.com. If this happens make sure that your ports 80 and 443 on your firewalls are open. If you do not get a green light then you have a network problem, maybe with the firewall, or possibly the cradle is bad.

If you have network connectivity (solid green light) and get a flashing yellow light when you put the drive in the cradle that means that there is a problem with the cradle connecting to the drive. Could be that the drive is not formatted correctly, could be something else.

Seagate did offer to replace the drive. Since it is just 24 hours old I'm going to return it and get a drive that actually works and can be fixed on a Mac.
on October 12, 2012
I have had the drive up and running for the past month and I have to say, it works exactly as I needed. I was a bit worried at first as it required me to sign into Seagate. I was worried I was logging into a cloud that allowed them access to my files. I do not want that. However, it was only activating the OS. Once that was done, I was able to connect through windows, create the drives I needed, and map them. I did not install any of the software that came with it as it is not necessary for this to function as a network drive. My backup software sees the mapped drive and backs up with no issues. You do not need to use Seagate's software if you already have software to do this. One thing I did not expect was Windows immediately recognized the UPNP-AV capabilities and installed the software for it. Now my TV and Blu-ray player sees the device and I can play movies, pictures, and music directly from the drive. I am sure all NAS drives will work the same way, but for the price, I really recommend it. I bought the 3 TB Drive, which I am sure will be enough space for me for years.

Update: I have had the drive now for several months and the drive is still doing the job for which it was bought: backups and network drives. I read a lot of the negative reviews and I do not see what they are talking about. I implement enterprise wide technology solutions, so I am one of the pickiest people when it comes to my home network. I am also one of the most adamant about security since I see the damage every day from poor systems security. This does EXACTLY as intended. It is not meant to be a high end drive for redundancy or professional backups. It's purpose is to provide you with a network drive you can attach to and store files. If you are looking for a full network server, you won't get it here. That is NOT it's purpose. It works beautifully with my Windows-based network and it took only minutes to set up. My Windows 2003 server uses it for network storage for extra space as my server only has an 80Gig hard drive. (Caveat: I don't use Apple products so my review cannot be applied to those users. I do not know how this works in that environment.)

What's even better is I can control what my kids store without going to their computers for an audit. I have set up the public drive, mapped their computers to that for their storage, and hidden the C drive on their computers. We also use it for our movies and music there and the kids can access this any time from their computers.

For the price, Seagate has provided a very good product.
on July 17, 2011
7/31/11

I was wrong in my original review as many of the problems I had were with other equipment and not the fault of the Go Flex.

>>1. Let me start by saying that I can't get my two Lenovo Windows 7 Premium laptops to to see the GoFlex for any reasonable amount of time. <<

This may be a Windows and/or router issue. I had purchased a Belkin router from Amazon at the same time as the GoFlex. I recently replaced the router with a Cisco and also mapped all my drives and this is no longer an issue.

>>2. The backup software that comes with the product was useless for my purposes. Silly me, I thought it would be similar to Seagate's Black Armour Software which I had used for two years and is licensed from Acronis. I bit the bullet and purchased the Acronis software, but because of 1. above, I cannot do automatic backup<<

I stand by this statement. Memeo was horrible for me. If you are buying a NAS for backup, I'd recommend looking into the Seagate Black Armour NAS.

>>3. Even when everything works, the read and write speeds are dreadfully slow.<<

After mapping the drives, speed seems to be better. I haven't been able to measure speeds, but I'll change dreadfully slow to just slow.

>>4. Read the number of computers/users limits carefully. Additional licenses and additional apps/add-ons will increase your costs substantially.<<

I stand by this.

>>5. Seagate tech support for this product is not up to their usual fine standard.<< After posting the original review, Seagate did respond on this forum and offered help and suggestions. Since I now have things pretty much working, I didn't take them up on it, but do feel much better about their support.

In summary, the product now seems to be working for me. Some of my major problems were really other vendor issues. The Seagate Black Armour NAS might have been a better choice for me.
on December 2, 2014
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home has been a good system for my family. We use it for three main things one is for our own personal data storage which is kept secured under an account and password. At this point it works like a drive on your computer where you create the folders you want. I can also access this data from my phone or tablet running the Android app or by logging into a Seagate website.

The second use of this system is media storage. This is made public but only on our secured home network or from the website and app mentioned before. This allows guests and my home media devices to access our library of music and movies which we've organized by genre.

The third use is file backup. Using either the software that comes with device or another software all of my home computers and devices are routinely backed up to the GoFlex Home. You can also attach additional hard drives from the USB slot in the back to either expand the storage space or transfer data on and off the device.

Over all I have been Happy with this device for about two years. I will probably get more than one.
on February 11, 2015
Bought this drive in September of 2012 for home network storage and automated backup of 2 computers. It worked pretty well for backup. The Seagate dashboard software sometimes needed to be refreshed several times before it could find the drive on the network. It is now February 2015 and the drive has died with little or no apparent warning after 2 years 4 months. I noticed about a week ago that instead of a solid blue/white and flashing green LED that there was only an alternating green/amber LED. Once or twice I refreshed the Seagate dashboard and got it to find the drive and the LEDs returned to normal, but now it won't find the drive at all and the LED just flashes green/amber. The base module is still visible on the network, now I need to decide if I should replace the plug in drive module, or just the drive in the module or move on to some other product. I would think the drive should last more than 2 years! I think the standard life expectancy for household drives is around 3 years? Maybe I should go to cloud backup/storage, let someone else mind the hardware??
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2012
After experiencing both Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex devices and WD My Book and My Book Live devices, and evaluating the management of both NAS product lines, I lean strongly towards the WD line than I do the Seagate line. I use this drive occasionally, as a backup for my WD device, but generally keep it powered down, as it is just not as convenient to set up, configure, assign shares to, or authenticate to, when comparing to the WD. It still gets 3 stars only because it too supports an external USB drive, although not sure it if it will support a USB hub or not. The WD will alegedly support a USB hub, thus more than one external USB drives.