Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(2 star). See all 627 reviews
on July 16, 2011
I originally bought this Seagate Hardrive :

Seagate FreeAgent Go 320 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST903203FBA2E1-RK (Royal Blue)

It worked for a little more than a year. I was fairly pleased with it. I do consider both the item I am reviewing here, along with the previous one (in the link above) to have a little bit of confusing aspects to it, but as long as you are decent with computers, you should be able to figure out at least how to get files on to the hard drive to save.

Because I wanted to protect myself in case the original hard drive ever failed, I bought the Seagate hard drive that this review is about. I'm not really a fan of the plastic casing (different than my original one) but it still seemed to do the job. Then a few months after, my original hard drive failed and my computers won't read the hard drive. So I lost everything on it. A couple months after that, this hard drive starts to show signs of doing the same thing, but fortunately hasn't gone out completely yet. I was able to get all my content backed up on my laptop computer because I anticipate this one going out soon. So in less than 2 years, my original one decides to fry, and now this one, 4 months old, doing the same thing. This brand is unreliable and not to be trusted. I will look for a different brand for my next choice.
on May 30, 2011
I'm on my 3rd of these drives, buying the 1st one about a year ago.
I was driven (back) to Seagate because of problems with Western Digital.
The WD MyBook series was awful, but their Passports have been very good.
Even so, I never use one of these drives without first doing a complete
reformat. I want a clean and empty drive. I don't know what they put on
there, so I just wipe it clean at the start. So far, no problems with
the Seagates.

Well, it is Feb 2013, and since I wrote this review, the 1st of the 3 of these drives has failed.
It is an older model purchased June 2010 at costco.
Fortunately, I had duplicated all its data onto another of the 3 drives I bought, but now a little nervous about that being my only copy.
This first one won't even format anymore. Since 2 of the 3 drives still function, I'm only downgrading to 2 stars, but only the 3rd of 3 such drives was purchased through amazon.
on February 13, 2013
it came with a program to automatically transfer files from folders into the hard drive. I did install it and run it, but I don't think I could emphasize enough the huge performance degridation I experienced. I uninstalled it and reformatted it to NTFS. After that I didn't have any issues with the performance. The cord is an awkward length. It's long enough to not be on the computer, but it's too short to be out of the work area. I would have rated three or four stars for meeting expectations. . . three months after starting to work with this hard drive, I'm working on editing video, then one by one the individual clips can't be found on the drive. From experience I know this is normally because what it was being stored on was removed. I make sure all connections are secure and return to my project. Then my computer says it's installing new driver software...? I begin to hear a strange ticking sound. the drive lights up, ticks for a while, and shuts down. After three months and spending a near $100 for a hard drive, it fails; after three months. I knew reviews on this weren't the greatest, but I gave it a chance. I have lost faith in Seagate as a quality company. I will never advise toward the purchase of this product
on August 20, 2013
So far I've not had a lot of good experience with the quality of these particular drives. Within a year, 2 of them went bad, and would no longer back up files and we lost the files that were on the last one. Good thing those were within the warranty period because we were able to have them replaced. Problem is this is the 3rd one and it was purchased 3/3/11 and just now locked up, so I was no longer able to put files on it or erase files off it. And now to top it off, it won't even boot up. So all the files on it now are gone. I use this for work to back up my files, so it's very important to be dependable, but at least I wish we could get a replacement seeing that this is the 3rd one we've had a problem with. Maybe the new ones are better, but this model you should be wary of.
on June 7, 2011
Product arrived scratched and scuffed. I don't care a lot about appearance, so that did not bother me much. Automatic backup software is supposed to load automatically the first time the product is plugged into your computer's USB port. Did not happen, and about four hours later I finally figured out what to do after trying to get tech support to no avail. Instructions that came with the product just point you to a web page that is essentially useless. Seems to be working fine now, but incredibly disappointing to spend cash on a product, have so many problems getting the automatic back-up software installed (which is why I chose this model), and have such a hard time getting any tech support. I would not recommend this product to anyone else, as I have bought other backup hardrives with loaded software and never had any problems.
on October 7, 2011
I bought this disk drive for data backup, so the first thing was to set up my backup. I noticed immediately the configuration steps are confusing and options are very limited. When I started initial backup, it was so and so and so slow that I had to stop it. Funny things about the progress display: the number of remaining files are increasing as more files are written to the disk! So this crap cannot even count the number of files in the source folder and I certainly do not trust it will take care of my file backup. If I let the the backup to continue - about 17 G files, it could take 32 hours! I read a bit of online reviews and user feedback, many have found the same. I am really surprised how could a big name like Seagate bundles such junk software to ruin their name. I cannot say how well the disk works, I do hope the backup software does not reflect the quality of the disk. Keep my fingers close.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 13, 2012
On my computer appear if I want to format disk, What!. I can't get my data.
What can I do?. I think this disk only have a live time for the warranty time.

And I bougth another usb disk of 320 Gb, the usb conector had damage and I had to bougth a new usb conector. I hope the new one woun't damaga again
on August 22, 2017
Crapped out after 6 years...
on August 23, 2011
I bought this hard drive about 4 months ago to store all of my pictures. It was working fine and I didn't have any complaints about it. But then one day I plugged it in and the computer didn't recognize the hard drive. I tried different computers but none recognized it and after I would plug it in the hard drive would make consistent beeping sounds. I hadn't even dropped it or anything. I got it checked out by some tech people and they took it apart and found out that it was completely broken. It would cost 1,700 dollars to recover the photos. I'm upset about losing the photos because I didn't have them on any other hard drive. It's too bad you have to back up backups. I'm not impressed by Seagate's quality and I'll be looking to other brands the next time I get a hard drive. I wouldn't recommend buying this product.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 5, 2013
It has a partition and software on it that is VERY annoying and tenacious too! They are difficult to remove but once done the drive is wonderful. Come on Seagate, just format in in FAT and send your software as a CD and let the customer choose.