Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 3.0 Ultra-Port...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 51% off the $99.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA500105 (Black)
|Price:||$73.00 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- USB 3.0 plug-and-play drive
- Access content over the network and on TV when paired with other GoFlex products
- Easy-to-use preloaded backup and encryption software
- USB 3.0 plug-and-play drive
- Upgradable to FireWire 800 or eSATA
- USB 3.0 plug-and-play drive
- Easy-to-use preloaded backup and encryption software
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Special Offers and Product Promotions
- Brand Name: Seagate
- Model Number: STAA500105
- Disk Size: 500 GB
- Manufacturer Warranty Description: 2 year
- Hard Disk Description: Portable
Compare to Similar Items
This item Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA500105 (Black)
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||$7.51|
|Sold By||Hot Toys for the Holidays!||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Sab Computer|
|Connectivity Technology||usb, firewire||Wired||Wired||usb, firewire|
|Hard Disk Description||Portable||Portable||Portable||Portable|
|Hard-Drive Size||500 GB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB|
|Hardware Connectivity||USB 3.0||USB 3.0, USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB|
|Item Dimensions||0.59 x 3.27 x 4.92 in||0.6 x 4.8 x 3.2 in||2.99 x 4.47 x 0.38 in||3.5 x 4.71 x 0.87 in|
|Item Weight||5.28 ounces||5.6 ounces||5.28 ounces||0.62 lb|
|Size||500 GB||1TB||1TB||1 TB|
The GoFlex ultra-portable drive makes it easy to store, back up and encrypt all your files with its plug-and-play USB 3.0 connectivity, but this is no ordinary external drive. As the core of the GoFlex Storage System, the GoFlex ultra-portable drive is the world's most upgradable external drive allowing it to deliver a truly customizable experience. Use the included USB 3.0 Adapter or upgrade to FireWire 800 or eSATA by pairing the drive with the appropriate GoFlex upgrade cable. Extend your content beyond your PC and enjoy it on your TV, over your network or on-the-go by using it in combination with other GoFlex products.
From the Manufacturer
The GoFlex ultra-portable drive makes it easy to store, back up and encrypt all your files with its plug-and-play USB 3.0 connectivity. This drive is great for taking with you on business trips, vacations and on the go allowing you to save or access your videos, photos, music or files. The GoFlex ultra-portable USB 3.0 drive interface returns blazing fast USB file transfer speeds and the GoFlex system allows you to upgrade to FireWire 800 or eSATA by pairing the drive with the appropriate GoFlex upgrade cable. Extend your content beyond your PC and enjoy it on your TV, over your network, or on-the-go by using it in combination with our GoFlex family of products.
Plug-and-Play with Automatic Backup Software
The Seagate GoFlex's built-in backup software ensures automatic continuous backup of your data. It secures your backed up files and protects your privacy with powerful encryption software. The Seagate Dashboard management tool software provides easy management of backup schedules, file encryption, and at-a-glance drive statistics, including available capacity.
Access Files with the Interface of Your Choice
Use the advanced USB 3.0 interface for maximum compatibility with standard desktops and laptops. USB 3.0 works with PCs equipped with a USB 3.0 port for maximum file transfer speeds, but also works with standard USB 2.0 ports. Or upgrade to FireWire 800 or powered eSATA by pairing the drive with the appropriate GoFlex upgrade cable.
Free your Files
With the included NTFS driver for Mac, you can now interchangeably store and access files from PC and Mac computers without reformatting. The NTFS driver is simply installed once on your Mac computer, allowing it to access and store files in a PC compatible format. (Reformatting to HFS+ required to use backup software for Mac or Time Machine software.)
Extend Your Content Beyond the PC
The GoFlex ultra-portable drive is the heart of the GoFlex Storage System, and by combining it with other GoFlex Storage System products you can enjoy your content on your TV, access files from any PC or Mac computer on your network, from a mobile device, or via the internet while on-the-go.
Enhanced Versatility Is a Snap
Plug-and-play connectivity options let you protect, store, and do more. The GoFlex Storage System allows you to upgrade the way you access your digital content without having to replace your drive. Upgrade cables and kits make it easy to move from USB 3.0 to eSATA or FireWire 800 for even faster transfer speeds for your large files and HD movies. Extend your digital life so you can access and share your files from anywhere.
What's in the Box
The Seagate GoFlex ultra-portable drive, backup with encryption software pre-loaded on drive, NTFS driver for Mac pre-loaded on drive, GoFlex USB 3.0 interface adapter, 18-inch USB 3.0 cable, quick start guide, 2-year limited warranty.
Get the Most from Your Drive with GoFlex Upgrade Cables
Seagate GoFlex Ultra-Portable Drive Specifications
|Interface||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB 3.0|
|Available Colors||Black | Silver | Blue | Red||Black||Black | Blue||Black|
|How Much Will it Store?|
|Digital Music (Hours)||8,330||12,495||16,660||24,990|
| Digital Photos (Files) |
Average file size using cameras highest resolution JPEG mode
|Digital Videos (Hours)||500||750||1,000||1,000|
| DVD Quality (Movies) |
Based on standard 2 hour movie
| HD Video (Hours) |
Based on H.264 compression at a 6.75Mbs bitrate
|1One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one trillion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity.|
The Seagate GoFlex Family Hard Drives
Top Customer Reviews
1. Why bother with the software in the first place?? just reformat the drive, or delete the software. Sure it is a bit annoying having 40 gigabytes taking up space right out the box, but is that really the only main source of concerns for this drive?
2. Now for the USB cord. out of the multitude of variations of 1tb usb 3.0 drives I have run and tested, every manufactuer has just about the same length of cord. If you want a longer cord, and or are wondering how you are going to power this drive other than with the supplied USB, then why are you buying this particular external HDD? this model is not for you if you are NOT an on the go type of person. what I mean by that is, if you do not lug your external drive around, why dont you go buy a powered 3.5" external HDD model for the same price as you would this one and have twice the space?
3. As far as the construction of the drive goes it is solid. I have tested the Toshiba 1TB 3.0 as well as the Western Digital 1TB 3.0, and my opinion is that Toshiba and Western Digital were too concerned about how slim and compact they could make the case of their external HDD, which has resulted in may more failures of those particular brands than I have seen from Seagate. Small shocks, such as light drops and accedental shock is a killer for the Western Digital as well as the Toshiba more than the Seagate models I have seen. Yes I know that there are about 3 or more warning labels stating the these drives should never be hit, moved, droped, abused, etc...Read more ›
- My laptop (WinXP) treats it like another hard drive, so I can drag-and-drop stuff directly onto my player, and can extract winzip files on the drive to another directory on the drive, and move stuff around in general.
- It runs off the USB power, so no need for a power cord
- The upload transfer speed (USB2) from my internal hard drive is just over a gig a minute for MP3s - I moved 18gb of music, in files of between 2 and 5 megs each, in just over 17 minutes, and 5 gig of audiobooks, in zip files of up to 300meg, in 4.5 minutes. This may change as the disk gets more fragmented.
- This will be upwardly compatible for my next laptop, which will probably have USB3.
This isn't so much an external drive as an internal drive in a case. The "GoFlex" connector (which is not shown in the pictures) is a bus-to-USB adapter, and other adapters are available (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Upgrade Cable USB 3.0 - STAE104). This is great for sharing files, and perhaps for eventually putting multiple drives in a jukebox or desk brick, but it means there's a third bit of electronics between the USB cable and the drive, with all the potential for loss and breakage that implies. The connection was already a tiny bit wobbly right out of the box, though I note that the snaps are metal, not plastic, which does mitigate. (The drive says "Made in Thailand and assembled in China" Sheesh).Read more ›
Note: I have a few older Seagate external hard drives (different models) that I've used for 1-2 years without incident. I've travelled extensively with them and had nothing but good things to say. That's why I went with Seagate on this one. I might even have been able to forgive the company its obvious construction and quality departure on this line but for the nightmarish customer service experience I had with Seagate after the drive crashed. Suffice it to say, I've sworn off Seagate products indefinitely.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Stopped working after a short time with all my photos on it. Called seagate about their data recovery and they wanted to charge me 600$ to retrieve my data for their product that... Read morePublished 5 days ago by Britany Andrews
This is the second time I have purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB. It meets my needs perfectly. I travel often and want to have all my documents with me and accessible. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Peg Rooney Hall
I've been using this hard drive for five years now with no problems. I use it to occasionally backup my photos.Published 14 days ago by mauldin
I have a MacBook Air with a 128 GB hard drive... needless to say, an external hard drive was a must. I purchased this hard drive a few years back to save some money... Read morePublished 18 days ago by J. Paul
I bought this hard drive in January of 2012 to expand and back up my 500GB harddrive. It's been over four years. This drive has been sturdy, reliable, and given great performance. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Matt.TheBat
Seagate is the best. I own two of these and they are reliable backup drives.Published 1 month ago by Chris Ortiz
I have over 3,000 pictures on this device and cannot access them due the external not detecting in the computer. I've googled the issue and it seems to be a recurring problem. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer