Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on August 7, 2013
I definitely consider myself to be lost at times when I am forced to conform to the ideals of what a black "girl" should be. For example, being silent, not loud, and never expressing any criticism, for I may be seen as solely wanting to be a victim or trying to play the race card. In essence, I must become invisible to society.

With this in mind, this book gave me the opportunity to listen to the voices of my mothers. The voices that I so longed to hear during times when I doubt my own intelligence, heck my own existence. These voices through a compilation of critical essays on America's mainstream society, Black female authors, and civil rights movements throughout the world (and more), authored by the great Alice Walker, proved to be all the knowledge and support I needed and more. Through Walker's extensive critical analysis one can understand how the consequences of racism, sexism, homophobia, and other forms of dehumanization negatively impact children, their families, and communities.

Through the pain, however, one rises beyond the suffering that they cause and contemplates solutions engrained with hope. This book is just too much to try to convey in words. Humanity is expressed, honesty is expressed, and most of all "the beautiful struggle" of life for communities who have been devalued for centuries and silenced is expressed.

Alice Walker thank you for guiding me to my Mothers' Gardens and for telling me it is okay to be who I am even if the entire world wishes to demonize and outcast me for my ideas.
on May 20, 2017
Amazing read, would recommend to every woman on this planet. Very insightful, smart, touching.
on September 1, 2016
Great reference book. Inspires to write for a cause . Inspires to stand for something be an advocate for what you believe in Alice Walker is a very insightful writer with a legacy of activism. Her novels have a way of showing the issue
on April 18, 2015
This collection of essays is very thought provoking and interesting. I think it should be required reading for all black women. The essay titled In Search of Our Mother's Gardens was my favorite.
on June 28, 2016
One of the best books I have read in a very long time. I can hardly put it down.
on August 17, 2013
A wonderful book that I'd recommend to Black women everywhere, not only to learn more about Black women's history, but find illuminating information that helps you to understand yourself and your place in the world.
on March 25, 2014
Always wanted to own this book. I purchased this book as a gift to my daughter who is currently in basic training, she wrote me to explain she really enjoyed it!
on December 9, 2013
A great book! Very interesting. I would love to read it again, but very good book and interesting. So that's all.
on April 20, 2014
This book made me fall in love with Alice Walker's writing all over again! I highly recommend it if you're considering buying a copy. #Womanist!
on May 1, 2015
This collection is eye opening not only in respect to Alice herself, but to the lives of those who led the struggles of the age.