Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 247 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2012
This was my first book by Donald Miller and the first book to be read by my new neighborhood book club. I was pleasantly surprised to find it a compelling series of essays on...what the author thinks we're looking for in our lives and why...Mr. Miller has an interesting take on Christianity, psychology, and how the two are connected, as well as what we are searching for in our lives. There are also essays on the circus, morality, and a very unique take on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet - and yes, he manages to connect them. In his musings on why he has done some of the things he's done...there is a lot that rang true to me (i've got lots of self help books on my shelves too...) and things I totally disagreed with; still, I'd recommend this highly, not only for the author's interesting view of the world...but also his compelling writing style. Read it and we'll talk amongst ourselves.
on December 10, 2013
The gospel presented simply and draws out the heart of the visit of God's Son to earth - God's compelling desire for relationship with His creatures. The link between broken relationship at the point of original sin and our propensity to compare self with others and others with our own 'normal' illuminated for me the why behind social behaviour that sets one group above another and makes discriminatory distinctions, including devaluing people. On a personal level, it explained from where my own sense of failure and inferiority derive. Highly recommended for all folk, adolescent up, who yearn for a realistic expose of human foible but with the hope of Christ's forgiveness, grace, acceptance and LOVE to provide a way forward.
on October 5, 2015
It's a good book once you get used to Miller's style of writing. There were times when I found myself saying, "Get on with it already!" It is interesting that he often slights those with an "agenda" when it's abundantly clear he has his own agenda. Wouldn't expect anything else from an author. It comes time, at that point, to decide if it's an agenda you support or not. Fortunately his overall Christian position doesn't get in the way of some of the very good things he has to say.
on October 2, 2016
I don't think I would like the author if I happened to bump into him. He has a sharp mind but an equally sharp tongue. However the man is a brilliant and thought provoking writer and honestly? I read anything he writes!
on November 1, 2015
This book was recommended to me and I started reading it. Didn't really like the way it was going and put it down. I may try reading it again at a later date.
on March 14, 2011
I originally read Searching For God Knows What a few years ago. I went through a Don Miller craze. I read most of his books. So, when "Searching For God Knows What" became available, anew, I pounced on the opportunity to read it again.

His main analogy through the whole book is a lifeboat. We as humanity are on a lifeboat, but I won't get into specifics. Miller takes us on the scenic route through this book, as with all his other books, to how he got to some spiritual truth. He is searching, and searching, but what he's being told, and given doesn't seem to fit in his God shaped hole in his heart.

I highly recommend this book, as with all of Don Miller's books. He has greatly influenced my perception of Christianity, and life in general.

Disclaimer:

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their book review bloggers program. Providing me a free copy in no way guarantees a favorable review. The opinions expresses in this review are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on March 20, 2009
Shockingly during the Doctor of Ministry course I had some time to read. I read Donald Miller's previous book "Blue Like Jazz" and encouraged it considerably, but than read "Through Painted Deserts" but did not enjoy that much as much. I decided to give Miller another chance, and I was thankful that I did. This was an thought-provoking book that was deeper than expected. Mostly these mainstream books have little Christian thought but are filled with "feel good" thoughts. This book does an excellent job of dealing with the Christian faith from a relational paradigm. Miller would reject a faith that is focused on detailed doctrine for a faith that is relational. This is the major foundation for this book. He talks a lot about the church giving into the temptation of the world of looking respectable. Churches have fallen into this sin of highlighting certain segments of society over others. His discussions on the "lifeboat" are painful to read but too true to life. This is a flowing read that will engage your heart in a powerful way.
on January 2, 2008
This is the second book I've read by Donald Miller, and I can't really put my finger on what I like about his books. Something keeps me coming back to his work (maybe it's the deficiency in Christian authors - just kidding). It might be the way he explains things in modern day language, or the way he makes analogies to help clarify complicated points. When Miller tries to explain the way current day evangelicals have alienated the masses, for example, he summarizes his point by stating, "In war you shoot the enemy, not the hostage."

But sometimes his books are somewhat unstructured, and I find that very frustrating. I'll read a chapter, for instance, and then pause to reflect on the point (his message), and the message seems too elusive to grasp or too unstructured to understand. Not all his chapters, just some of them seem like this. His conversational tone and his sentimentality can add and also detract from his books. Sometimes it works; other times it is overdone.

Having said all this, would I recommend the book? Absolutely.
on July 27, 2011
This is my first foray into Donald Miller's writing and I'm hooked. I stumbled on this book expecting it to be one of those typical Christian books, "Life isn't great? Then you need to pray harder.", types of things and it isn't at all. I see him as a type of David Sedaris for the Christian community. His writing is witty and smart. I actually laugh when I'm reading it and it is so honest. It reads like short essays and never beats you over the head with anything. This is so approachable, but also very thought-provoking. It is the type of book that allows you to honestly question without feeling like you are headed straight to hell. I think anyone, Christian or not, could benefit from this book. I just went and ordered 3 other books by him and I'm sure I'll be equally impressed.
on July 20, 2013
After a couple of chapters, I was hooked. Donald Miller brings a very open and non-traditional view to the gospel by sharing his personal perspective, testimony, and creative analogies to make the reader think carefully about the world today, and our role in relationship with God and others. This book would provoke good discussion among those who are looking to consider new ways of living out their Christian faith, or those who simply like a good read. I enjoyed it!