Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sebago Men's Classic Leather Loafer
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on July 26, 2011
Material used: The leather used in this shoe is pretty stiff which i hope to break into after repeated use. The leather is shiny and very easy to polish to obtain a mirror-like brilliant shine.

Pro: The leather is study and retains it shape easily. It is internally unlined and breathes easier.

Con: The leather is very stiff and is uncomfortable to wear when not broken into. It takes a while for the leather to flex and mould to the shape of your feat. The internally unlined nature means wearing socks is a must (at least at first) to prevent blisters from friction with rough internal surface and feet.

Workmanship: 9/10. One mark from away from perfection as there seems to be some small drips/strands of glue stains on some parts of the leather surface which cannot be removed. Careless factory worker.

Fitting: true to size

Price: $56.07 on July 3, 2011. Absolute value for money!

Remarks: Wear socks for initial use. A very classic look that makes you look more stylish than your peers. Looks good with pants or jeans. Does not look good with shorts as it too dressy and preppy.
on February 27, 2011
I've had these Sabago Classic Loafer style shoes now for about a month. The leather material in the shoes seemed very stiff right out of the box. I would be in total agreement with other reviewers that these shoes are sized too small in width. My normal shoe width size is a D (medium) and that is what was ordered. Even using a shoehorn, I had a very difficult time in first getting the shoes on my feet. However after a few days, the shoes gradually started to stretch in width.

If I had it all to do over, I would have purchased these shoes in the next larger size width (from D to E).

Other than the sizing issue, my opinion is that these shoes are a good value for the money.
on February 19, 2013
I purchased in succession several pairs of the Sebago loafer back in the 1980s and 1990s. The shoes were then made in the US, as I recall. Each pair fit properly and took only a few days to break in. The leather was sturdy and good for several re-sole jobs. The finish was gorgeous with some of the leather's grain showing through, giving much depth to the finish.

Today, the shoes are made overseas. The opening to insert your foot is now shorter and the shoe will no longer accommodate my high arch. The finish looks more like paint than polish. I can't comment on the quality of the leather or the soles, for I couldn't get my foot inside to wear them. A few years ago I wore a similar Sebago model (the Sherman) which had a rubber instead of a leather sole; the leather uppers on these failed after about 1 year.

Classic?, I don't think so.
on January 9, 2007
The first wearing, at the airport on my way to an interview, the heel came off. Since having the heel reattached (and the other secured, just to be sure) the shoes have been fine.

Quality control in the Dominican Republic could use some improvement.
on April 26, 2015
I bought a pair of these penny loafers 30 years ago when they were still being made here in Maine. They still had wear in them minus the ability to "shine up" well but even still were good looking and my "go to" shoe with a jacket and blue jeans. This pair fit like bed room slippers after break in. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new pair knowing this pair was living on well borrowed time. This new pair is constructed the exact same way, in every detail, minus two nail heads visible in the soles. No big deal. My old pair was a 10.5 D and I ordered a 10.5 D. Understand that these shoes are true to size if you really understand what your shoe size is. If you have never owned a pair of these classic Sebago penny loafers you will be unhappy with the fit. Board the "pain train" and do the work to break them in and have the best shoes in your wardrobe that you have ever owned. Put on a pair slightly larger SOAKING WET socks than you plan to wear in reality. Use a shoe horn, put them on, and wear them a little bit everyday until they take shape to your feet. Trust me folks ... these shoes will fit like they are suppose to and fit like a glove after going this and also wear like iron, or so I hope, for another 30 years...but don't think they will feel any where correct straight out of the box, this is an unreasonable expectation from this QUALITY penny loafer! Leather stretches .... do the work and end up loving a pair of shoes that you will not want to take off. After a week of break in, I'm wearing my new loafers with thin dress socks and oft times sock-less and my feet are HAPPY!
on May 19, 2015
I bought this last December 2014. The upper stitching on the left shoe is already coming apart. Worst shoe I ever bought and I don't even have an option to exchange it.
review image
on April 13, 2008
Recently bought a pair of Sebago Loafers via Amazon.com. Over USD 100 and quality?? A DISASTER!! After one day of wearing the 'antique brown' color already faded on several parts and became pink-red - especially on the parts that bend somewhat during walking. Since then I didn't wear these awfull products anymore. IS THIS US QUALITY??? A SHAME, I MUST INFORM YOU!! Be aware.
66 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2011
The shoe looks awesome. But there's one slight problem, it's far too small. I typically get a 9 E but that size was far too small for this shoe. I wanted to try a 9 EE, but by that time the sale was over. So my advice is to order one E larger, or half a size larger than u would normally get.
on September 1, 2013
I own (and still wear) a pair of this exact same shoe (same model, same size) that I have had for several years. When my new ones arrived they were dull leather and not shiny leather as they should have been and as the ones that I now have are. Also, the size was so far off that I could not even get my foot started into the shoe, even with a shoe horn. Something has changed at Sebago, and not for the better. Lack of quality control, I assume. I am disappointed that Amazon did not do more to know what they were selling. I had no problem returning the shoes for a refund, but it was still a bad experience.
on August 28, 2011
Still trying to stretch them enough with shoe trees to get them on. I did read here that they ran small, so I got an 11 instead of my normal 9-1/2 wide or 10.

They seem like nice shoes, to look at and all.

<edit> After a few months.

I did get the local cobbler to stretch them, and I wear them daily - but they were a struggle to get on for a while. I can't take 'em off on a plane flight longer than an hour or so if I want to get them back on. Wore through the soles in just three weeks of walking (in fairness, it was cobblestones in Europe). Got new compo half-soles, and they wear like iron.

They are broken in and comfy now, but it took a while!