Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
Nero Wolfe is one of my favorite detectives, but he's nothing without Archie. This is a fun read,. with all of the usual whit and the characters. It's always a treat to visit the brownstone and see what Fritz is cooking up while Archie harasses Nero. One of the best mystery series of the last century, and one that (aside from dollar amounts and automobiles) never seems dated. Stout never wrote a bad book so you can't go wrong with any of these books.
on November 9, 2015
"The Second Confession" is the 15th book in Rex Stout's "Nero Wolfe" series. It was first published in 1949, and since these books mirror the prevailing issues of the day, it's interesting to note how fast the enemies changed in society. In the previous couple of book, the common enemies were Japan/Germany (WWII). In this book, it's the "Commies" (Cold War). Anyway, that's just an interesting aside. The writing, story, characters, humor, etc., are all excellent. The only quibble I've got is that antagonistic actions of several pairs of characters don't really get explained. The assumption is that the bad guy had something on them. But, it's just left hanging. For that, I'd drop the rating half a star. But, of course, integers are the rule. So, I'm rating the book at an Excellent 5 stars out of 5.
on October 19, 2015
I greatly enjoy Rex Stout's writing and read each book through in one day (so I very carefully choose when I'll read a Nero Wolfe book). The characters are well developed and their relationships were fully formed by the beginning of the first book. While I haven't been able to properly guess "whodunit" before the ending yet (I'm only two books into Rex Stout's catalog), the characters and the plot as just fun from beginning to end. I look forward to getting more Nero Wolfe stories.
Also, if you became interested in these books after the excellent A&E Nero Wolfe series, please, please read the books-they are at least as much fun as the series.
on June 17, 2014
I have read most of the Nero Wolfe novels more than once, many of them several times. The Second Confession is one of my favorites for two reasons. One, Stout is at the top of his game with witty conversational prose. Two, some of the "usual characters" either do not appear or play only a minor role, leaving more room for interesting new characters. If you're a fan of NW and haven't read this one, please check it out.
on June 7, 2016
Let me begin be saying that I love all of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books, and this one is no exception. That being said, you may not ever come to like Nero Wolfe, but you will definitely like, and want to be friends with, Archie Godwin, Wolfe's Jack of all trades. Usually, when I read a series of books about the same characters I recommend starting with book one. These story plots stand alone enough that you could pick any one of them up and not feel lost or confused. Enjoy, and don't eat the orchids.
on October 19, 2016
Once again Rex Stout has shown he is a master of crime novels. He has crafted a wonderful novel of twists and turns to keep the reader enthralled to the very end. It is a very satisfactory book.
on July 11, 2015
It's a Nero Wolfe novel, so it receives three stars before the spine is even cracked on the book. One of my top ten Wolfe choices. It's helpful to have read the previous 2-3 books in which Arnold Zeck is sparingly mentioned, but far from mandatory.

I've read all of Stout's Nero Wolfe series innumerable times over five decades, so my recommendation may be suspect. IMHO, one of the very best detective series ever penned.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2016
enjoyable Nero Wolfe
on July 31, 2013
This is the book, written in1949, where disaster strikes the orchids on the roof at Wolfe's brownstone. I have read and reread all the Nero Wolfe books in book form. This is my favorite, therefore I purchased it for my Kindle and loved reading it on my favorite reading device. I love tough-guy Archie and intellectual, grouchy Wolfe. Start the series with Fer-de-lance, written in 1934, and you will be hooked through "A Family Affair," 1975.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2014
A real who-dunnit mystery starring Nero Wolfe & Archie Goodwin. Once again the ingenious duo counter the privileged wealthy on their clients' turf, and cut through the smoke & mirrors the clients provide in order to solve the murder despite numerous "red herrings."