Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: In Seconds (Bulletproof Trilogy)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 20, 2011
I was reading this book while I was supposed to be working, while I was waiting for my daughter in the car, in the parking lot at the grocery story... could NOT put it down until I finished it (probably should have waited for the weekend to start it!). Laurel/Vivian, Virgil's sister from Book 1 (Inside) has been hiding for a long time, and she's tired of it. While she's very attracted to her neighbor, Sheriff Myles King, and he's attracted to her as well, Laurel/Vivian knows they can't get involved. The creepy Ink from The Crew is still looking for her, and he's even more deranged than in Book 1, if that's possible. At the end of Book 1, it looked like Laurel and Rex were going to be together, but in this book we find out that although they had a very intense relationship, they are no longer together. Rex is still struggling with his drug addiction and Laurel refuses to let herself be dragged down with him - which is a huge thing in a romance novel, if you ask me. How easy would it have been for the author to make this story about Rex and Laurel, like we all expected? Instead, Laurel/Vivian has found her own inner strength without Rex, and while she still cares for him a great deal, she won't go down that destructive path again.

The Rex/Laurel/Myles aspect of the story was tough, because on one hand you see how much Rex and Laurel love each other, but on the other hand you see her drawing on her own source of strength and leaning towards the man who is good for her. This was a very nice counter to the suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat drama being played out by Ink and his new sidekick. Virgil decides to end this once and for all, and I swear, I was so afraid for him there at the end I was almost crying.

I see the next story is about Vivian's friend Claire, and while it looks interesting, I really REALLY want a Rex story. This poor man needs to find someone of his own! Come on, Brenda Novak, don't leave us hanging!
on November 20, 2013
THIS IS THE 2ND BOOK IN THE 3 BOOK TRILOGY. .. ITS A VERY VERY GOOD BOOK THAT I ABSOLUTELY LOVED.... THE 1ST BOOK IN THIS TRILOGY IS CALLED " INSIDE", AN EVEN MORE AWSOME READ!!! I USUALLY ONLY LOVE JUST ROMANCE NOVELS, BUT BRENDA TALKED ME INTO TRYING A SUSPENCE ROMANCE NOVEL SO I DID & LOVED THESE 3 BOOKS... BRENDA HAS AN AWSOMELY GREAT NACK AT CAPTURING YOUR INTREST & HOLDING IT TIL THE VERY END.. YOU ACTUALLY DON'T WANT IT TO STOP!!! I KNOW I DIDN'T. "IN SECONDS" WAS OF COURSE THE 2ND BOOK TO THE 1ST BOOK "INSIDE". THIS BOOK RESUMES A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER FROM THE 1ST ONE & KEEPS YOU INFORMED OF WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE THE 1ST BOOK ENDED. I'M GRATEFUL TO BRENDA FOR ALWAYS DOING THAT. I HATE ENDING A BOOK & NEVER KNOW WHAT HAD BECOME OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS!!! THIS BOOK HELP INFORM EVERYONE, PLUS HAD MORE HEAT & ACTION TO KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED!!! THIS BOOK DEALS MORE ABOUT PART OF THE DANGEROUS GANG FROM BOOJ 1, BUT THIS ONE ALSO DEALS MORE WITH THE HERO OF BOOK1'S SISTER & HER HOT SEXY WIDOWED SHERIFF NEIGHBOR, WHO HAS A TEENAGE 13 YR OLD DAUGHTER.
SHE & HER BROTHER & HIS WIFE, CHILD, WITH ANOTHER ON THE WAY, & REX-AKA EX-PRETTY BOY. THEY ALL TOOK OFF FROM THE WITSEC BC SOMEHOW TTHERE'S A MOLE & THE GANG WHOSE AFTER THEM KEEP FINDING THEM, SO THEY ALL DESIDE TO LEAVE WITSEC & GO THERE SEPERATE WAYS SO THEY WONT BE SO EASY TO FIND TOGETHER. THINGS SEEM FINE FOR ALMOST 2 YRS AFTER SPITTING UP, UNTIL 1 DAY WHEN SHE HEARS ABOUT A HORRIBLE MURDER THAT JUST DOESN'T SOUND OR SET RIGHT WITH HER-ESPECIALLY SINCE THE SMALL TOWN IS USUALLY MURDER FREE ATLEAST HAS BEEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS. SO SHE GETS NERVOUS & TRIES TO FIND OUT WHAT HER HOT SEXY NIEGHBOR WILL TELL HER, BUT THE PROBLEM IS, SHE'S BEEN AVOIDING HIM SINCE SHE MOVED THERE, NOT ONLY BC HER BROTHER TELLS HER NOT TO TRUST COPS BC THEY CAN BE DIRTY, BUT BC SHE KNOWS HE'S HOT & SEXY & SHE'S NOT READY FOR A NEW RELATIONSHIP BC SHE & HER 2 SMALL KIDS MAY HAVE 2 TAKE OFF IN A SECONDS NOTICE IF THE GANG FINDS HER & SHE ALSO DOESN'T WANT TO PUT HIM IN DANGER, ESPECIALY SINXE HIS WIFE DIED FROM CANCER 3-4YRS AGO & HIS 13YR OLD DAUGHTER WOULD BE POSSIBLY PARENTLESS IF ANYTHING WOULD HAPPEN. ALTHOUGH, ATTRACTION HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN & CHEMISTRY CAN'T BE DENIED. SO, WHAT SHOULS SHE DO??? SHE DECIDES SHE'S TIRED OF RUNNING & WANTS A MORE NORMAL LIFE, WITH A MAN IN IT. 1ST SHE NEEDS TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE MURDER & TALK TO HER BROTHER, WHO SHE'S SUPPOSE TO ONLY CONTACT IN CASE OF EMERGANCIES ONLY & THERE 1 TIME A WK E-MAIL. SHE GOES 2 E-MAIL HIM TO FIND 1 FROM HIM TO SAY REX WAS MISSING & HASN'T BEEN HEARD OF FOR OVER 2WKS.. FEAR RUNS THROUGH HER, HER & REX USED TO DATE & STILL CARED DEEPLY FOR 1 ANOTHER, THEY JUST COULDN'T BE TOGETHER BC THERE USED TO THERE OWN WAYS.. SHE DOES FIND OUT FROM HER BRO THAT 1 OF THE GANG MEMBERS WHO FOUND HER & HER 2 SMALL KIDS IN BOOK 1, WHO ALSO WAS TRYING 2 RAPE HER BEFORE KILLING HER, BUT REX-PRETTY BOY COULDN'T STAND IT, HE WAS WITH THEM TO TRACK HER DOWN BC THE GANG WAS REALLY AFTER HER BRO & TO GET TO HIM THROUGH HER DEATH & HER KID'S WOULD SENT HER BRO A MESSAGE, BUT REX WAS BEST FRIENDS WITH VIRGIL-SKIN FOR 14YRS IN PRISON & THOUGHT OF THEM AS FAMILY BC HE GOT TO READ ALL VIRGILS LETTERS & PIC'S FROM HIS SIS THROUGH THE YRS. THAT HE COULDN'T BARE WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN, SO HE TOOK MATTERS IN HIS OWN HANDS, WHICH LANDED HIM WITH A BOUNTY ON HIS HEAD FOR SAVING HER & THE KIDS & KILLING HIS "SO CALLED BROTHERS FROM THE GANG". THAT'S HOW HE GOT IN WITSEC ALSO. BUT, WHILE HE'S IN L, A.- THE LAST PLACE REX SHOULD BE, HE HERES THAT 1 OF THE GUYS HE SHOT (WHO) SERVIVED BARELY, HAD BROKEN OUT OF PRISON WITH SOME YOUNG 19YR OLD KID THAT WANTED TO BE IN THE GANG. THEY FOUND OUT HER CLOSE AREA BC SHE HAD CALLED HER MOM FROM A PAY 9HONE A LIL WAYS OUTTA TOWN, SO THERE DEFFENITELY LOOKING FOR HER. REX COMES TO HER HELP, BUT HE'S NOT DOING SO GOOD HIMSELF BC HE WAS DETOXING BY HIMSELF TO GET OF PILLS WHEN HE HEARD THE NEWS. BY THE TIME HE SHOW UP THOUGH, SHE & THE HOT NIEGHBOR HAD AGREED TO A NO STRINGS JUST A RELEASE DATE NIGHT, HER IDEA-DEFINITELY NOT HIS. HE'S REALLY CRAZY ABOUT HER, BUT SHE'S CRAZY BOUT HIM BUT DON'T WANT TO HURT HIM OR GET HIM HURT. BUT REX NOTICES THE TENSION BETWEEN THE 2 & KNOWS SOMETHINGS UP!! THEY'VE BOTH MOVED ON BUT STILL LOVE & CARE FOR 1 ANOTHER. HE JUST DOESN'T LIKE BEING REPLACED BY A "COP" OF ALL PPL. HE TEASES A BIT.. BUT THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT MATERS TO ATTEND 2.. I'M NOT GOING TO INTO THE WHOLE BOOK, YOU'LL NEED TO BUY ALL OF THEM TO FIND OUT ALL I LEFT OUT PLUS ALL I DIDN'T FINISH, BUT ITS TRULY WORTH THE PRICE & TIME FOR THIS 3 BOOK TRILOGY! !!! HAVE A GOOD READ & ENJOY THEM LIKE I DID!!!! :-) LOVE ME SOME ROMANCE & LOVE!!!!!
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2011
Four years ago, Laurel Hodges' brother was exonerated and released from prison after serving fourteen years hard time for a crime he did not commit. The relief and hope she'd harbored for a future with the brother she loved didn't last beyond the first attempt on her life. The Crew saw to that. A vicious gang with a long reach, her brother Virgil had joined them out of necessity when he was in prison. They weren't exactly amenable to his leaving it when he got out. They've been trying to kill him, her, and her two children ever since.

When the last attempt by The Crew forced her to separate from her brother and his new family two years ago, she started over yet again, this time as Vivian Stewart. She selected the town of Pineview, Montana because of its low crime rate, seclusion, and small town nature.

For two years she's lead that small town life and felt safe. Her handsome neighbor Myles King is the sheriff of Pineview, and has asked her out several times, but she's always declined. She can'd afford to get too close to anyone, be too honest with anyone, especially the single father and cop next door. That is the sentence that SHE serves now, and will have to serve for as long as The Crew keeps her and her loved ones in its sights.

It is a sentence she's mostly resigned herself to in order to keep her children safe, to stay alive. And when she hears of the murder of a man from town, Laurel fears that it is a sentence that has - unfortunately - been commuted. The Crew has a long, long reach. And they might have reached out and caught her once more.

~*~
I hate to say this, but I had some trouble with this second book in the Bulletproof series. I enjoyed the characters of the first one quite a lot, especially Virgil, and had been looking forward to his sister's book, but I ended up feeling a little disconcerted by the four year time span between books, and had a hard time reconciling the budding relationship between Rex, aka Pretty Boy, and Laurel that closed out the last book with the apparently painful breakup of the long-term relationship they had before she came to Pineview. That made it difficult to downshift and accept Myles as the romantic lead in this one. Maybe it also had a hand in the difficulty I had warming up to Laurel, too. I'm not sure.

I know I wasn't crazy about her. I think she was believable and realistic as a character, but she didn't strike me as being all that bright, and I had significant trouble with several of her life decisions. I still have to give Novak credit, though. She writes realistic and believable characters, even though one of them frustrated the heck out of me. Just because I didn't favor one of them doesn't mean they aren't well written.

In Laurel's case, it was an issue of too many conflicting had-it-beens, those moments where you put yourself in the characters place and think, had it been you, would you have said/done/acted the same as he/she did. In most cases with Laurel, the answer wasn't just no, it was an emphatic heck no. It started early - I would never have chosen a small town (where everyone knows your secrets and if they don't, they dig or shun until they do) with no cell phone tower (a disposable cell would've made things so much easier) to try to hide - and it persisted throughout the book.

Novak writes solid suspense imbued with an increasingly intense sense of impending doom. There's no argument there. I thoroughly enjoyed those threads in this book. I just wasn't totally sold on the premise for the suspense threads, and had some problems completely buying into a disabled thug like Ink being in a position to escape jail, whether or not he had help. Despite the plausibility of the premise, the execution was spot on - completely chilling in parts, actually - and I found myself really enjoying both the ever increasing tension and the way Myles handled himself as he was investigating and as he got closer to Laurel.

I was pretty confused about something, though, and wondered if I missed some part of the story. Rex fills in Myles about what's really going on just before he heads back to New York, and Myles is concerned about how to tell Laurel he knows. Next he sees Laurel, though, there's no confrontation about it and she treats Myles like he's always known the truth. I'm still not sure if that was an accidental plot contradiction or if I just missed something somewhere.

Regardless of the issues I had, I enjoyed the suspense and the characters of the story. My biggest problem, actually, and the largest reason this book wasn't as appealing to me as the first, was the lack of satisfying development in the romance arc. There was acknowledged attraction on both sides relatively early, but beyond a single night of lust satisfaction, there was next to no evolution of a romance between Laurel and Myles until I was over 70% into the book. And that was just too late to give either the romance arc or the characters enough time to be satisfactorily developed alongside the suspense.

I have to admit, I was heartened by the fact that the third book returns to Pineview and delves into a case surrounding Laurel's best friend. Not only am I hoping to see more of Laurel and Myles to get some sense of resolution and completion to their HEA, as well as see how they merge their families, but it'll be nice to get away from The Crew and their threats. That thread was starting to feel very worn by the end of this book.

I can't help but hope, though, that we haven't seen the last of Rex. He's been a favored character of mine since he dropped into the first book and my heart broke a little for him in this one. He's a bit of a dark and tortured soul, and I keep hoping he'll find the peace and love he deserves. It just seems he's got a lot of demons yet to vanquish before that happens. I hope Novak lets us see him gets his own HEA at some point.

Disclosure: An ARC of this book was provided to me by Mira Books publisher Harlequin via NetGalley. This rating, review, and all included thoughts and comments are my own.

~*~*~*~
Reviewed for One Good Book Deserves Another.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Laurel is on the run from her brother's violent prison gang hiding out in Montana under an assumed name, Vivian Stewart. When a senseless and violent murder occurs in the small town, she is sure that the crew has found her and will finally take revenge. Her best friend Claire assumes it is related to the disappearance of her mother. Next door lives the widowed sheriff Myles, who is attracted to Vivian and jumps at her offer of no strings sex. Of course he wants more but she refuses and he appoints himself as her protector as things start to heat up and he is sure that she is hiding something including her relationship to the mysterious man who suddenly shows up at her home.

After reading the tense and thrilling Inside, this sequel just left me scratching my head. There is literally no romance or chemistry between Myles and Vivian, particularly due to her intense relationship to former lover Rex. I figured it would be pretty easy for Ink and company to find her since she refused witness protection due to previous experiences but had the same occupation - making purses, and her children went by their real first names. This is pretty much a straight up thriller with minimal elements of romance tossed in. It is very well written, just not what I was hoping for in a sequel. Recommend for those that want the full "IN" story. Followed by In Close (Bulletproof), which picks up on the mystery surounding the disappearance of Claire's mother.
on June 28, 2014
This was full of romance and suspense. I thought we would be seeing Laurel and Rex get their happily ever after, but that was not the case. I think that may have made the book even better. Laurel moves to the small town of Pineview, Montana. She has started up her own business, and essentially, a whole new life. This new life includes her neighbor, the sheriff, Myles, but she tries to stay away from him because she has so many secrets. Everything starts to fall apart when the people who are trying to kill her and her family come to town. She is determined to stay where she is and face The Crew head on, once and for all.

Brenda Novak's characters in this book were great! It was wonderful to see Laurel doing so well, and her kids settling in. Jake seems to be growing up, and it was interesting to see how he is so determined to form bonds with people, while his mom is kind of doing the opposite. Myles had a great story too, which made it easier to accept that things did not work out with Rex. I loved when Myles and Laurel (Vivian) butt heads. They are great together! As weird as it sounds, I liked seeing Ink again too. I find his character fascinating, a complete psychopath, but fascinating. Novak does such a magnificent job writing the good guys, but she is amazing with the bad ones too. This was just an all-around great book! I loved seeing more of the characters from the first book, and hope to see more of everyone soon!
In seconds is book two in the Bulletproof series by Brenda Novak.

Let me start this review by telling you that I don't recommend reading this book as a stand -alone but more as a continuation of book one, Inside.

In seconds take place couple of years later after events in Inside. Laurel, Virgil, Payton and Rex have left WitSec after The Crew discovered their whereabouts in Washington. They took the hard decision of disperse to make it harder for the gang members to find them.
Virgil and Peyton move to New York, where they live with their little boy and Payton is pregnant expecting their second child. Laurel has adopted the identity of Vivian Steward and has move to the small town of Pineview, Montana with her kids Mia and Jake. And Rex is moving around finding a place to settle after his breakup with Laurel.

Laurel/Vivian chose to live in Pineview because of its low criminal rate. She has lived happily for over two years in the little town where nothing happens; she just bought a house and has established her own business designing and selling purses. Laurel/Vivian also has a very interesting and sexy neighbor, Sheriff Myles King and even though she feels attracted to him she has declined all his invitations to go out.
Laurel/Vivian thinks The Crew has forgotten all about her, but when a member of the community is brutally assassinated all her fears come back to haunt her.
Sheriff Myles King is a widower with a thirteen-year-old daughter. Since the dead of his wife three years ago he hasn't been interested in any woman until Laurel/Vivian moves next door. This mysterious woman attracts him, but all his intents to know her better have been rejected.
Myles is investigating the murder, the first in many years in Pineview. He also notices a difference in Laurel/Vivian's behavior lately; she seems nervous and a little bit over the edge. He knows she is hiding something, he wants to know her secrets to be able to help her; he wants to be there for her if she allows him. Laurel/Vivian knows this but after everything that had happened to her is very difficult to trust a person and even more a policeman. Also people tent to get hurt when they are close to her and the last thing she wants is to get Myles involve with her troubles. But when she learns Ink, one of her most feared gang members has escaped from jail and is coming for her, her situation turns dire, she doesn't want to run anymore, she has built a life for her and her kids, because of this she is determined this time to stay and fight. She knows she would needs to give Myles an opportunity if she wants a chance to survive.

I loved Inside, even though it left many things open and unresolved and when I learned In Seconds was coming out I knew I have to read it. I wanted to see Rex and Laurel's story, I wanted them to have their HEA. To be honest I was a little bit disappointed on the beginning of In Seconds when I learned Laurel's HEA was with somebody else and not Rex, but after some pages I understood they weren't good for each other even though there was love. They are better friends than lovers and my kudos to Mrs. Novak for taking this decision and making it clear to us.

Laurel is still the determined, strong and caring woman from Inside. She has done the best possible with her situation and is doing better everyday.
I loved that she doesn't blame Virgil for anything that has happened, I loved their brother/sister relationship and even through the distance you can feel their love and respect for each other.

Myles was a surprising character, I can say he grew up on me. As I said before I wanted Rex to be with Laurel, but after getting to know Myles better I realized he was the kind of man perfect for Laurel and most important her kids. He is a stable, caring, loving man and also a devoted father. At the end their relationship feel right and real, they are doing things right, without rushing and taking one step at a time.

I loved that we see some of Virgil and Peyton's life, they have been a family for couple of years now, with one son and another baby on the way. They have a booming business and in general they are doing great. I didn't like something Virgil does at the end. I can imagine his feelings of impotency in the situation but his solution felt too desperate and irrational considering his wife was almost ready to give birth. I almost couldn't believe he was doing what he did.

Rex, oh Rex, here is where my heart starts to bleed. I love him and seeing him how he is in this book it really broke my heart. He really loves Laurel and wants what is best for her, even though that is not being with him, he knows he is not good for her. He is a great friend and even though his situation he is a very strong man. I really hope Mrs. Novak gives him the HEA he so much deserves.

Ink is still the same sociopath from Inside, maybe a little bit worse after what happened to him. I really admire Mrs. Novak for making me feel on a trip in the mind of a sociopath every time I was reading Ink's point of view, even though the feeling was not the best ever *shudders*.

In Seconds is a very fast paced book, packed with action, suspense and very emotional moments. The characters are well developed and the writing is spotless. All in all In Seconds is a great follow up and another great book by Brenda Novak.

If you like romantic suspense this book is for you, but as I said before I don't recommend to read In Seconds as a stand alone, it should be read after Inside (another great book).
The next book of this series In Close will be available on October 25, 2011. It's the book of Laurel's friend Claire and I'm sure planning to read it.
on September 8, 2011
Laurel Hodges and her children have been on the run since her brother's old gang, The Crew, decided to use Laurel and her kids as their revenge. After years of running and watching people die on her behalf Laurel has become Vivian Stewart and is in Montana living the quiet life with her kids. Everything would be perfect if she could be closer to her brother and his expanding family but it's too dangerous. She isn't anxious to relocate her family again but she may not have a choice when a citizen of her sleepy town is brutally murdered. It looks like the Crews work and it sends her life into chaos.

Sheriff Myles King is Laurel's neighbor and he has been harboring feelings for her for awhile. Myles is a bit slow to delve into a romance; he has been widowed and has a daughter to think of. Trouble has crept into his little town and he thinks his neighbor may know more than she's sharing. Myles is ready to find out all the details of his lovely neighbors life; is she ready to share? It's time to stop running and take a stand. Is Laurel ready to lay it all on the line? Everything will change In Seconds who will survive?

In Seconds is an exciting follow-up to book one of the Bulletproof series. The setting may be a little town in Montana but things are anything but quiet when danger rides into town. Laurel/Vivian is finally in a happy place with her kids, her business is looking good and she has made new friends since moving to Pineview. I felt her frustration and fear as she began realizing that she may have brought evil to this place that she loves. She has feelings for the Sheriff but has hesitated to start anything considering the extenuating circumstances. However, as the mystery unfolds Laurel/Vivian and Myles get closer. These two are very sensual together. Brenda Novak has penned the perfect romance for these two. It feels very believable when you look at what both families have been through. Laurel/Vivian makes a decision that not all will agree with it may come off as a bit crazy. However, I totally understood where she is coming from. Her brother may also disagree but he has been known to make some reckless decisions of his own.

When we left Laurel at the end of book one, Inside, it looked as if she would be starting a relationship with her brother's friend Rex. Four years later it seems that their relationship was never cohesive because Rex couldn't rid himself of his addiction. I'm sure most people were thinking that the next book would feature Rex and Laurel as the couple. I love that Ms. Novak takes a totally unique route and still gives us closure where Rex is concerned and it isn't a simple one line explanation, I adore that gutsy play! I also relished the opportunity to see where the couple from the first book Virgil and Peyton are now. Ms. Novak's skills at character building are sensational. I find myself attached to these fictional characters, probably too much, but I couldn't wait to find out what happens to these people I've grown to love. The suspense is through the roof as danger invades this town. In Seconds will give you the chills and leave you praying for those you love. There are plenty of OMG moments that will leave you breathless and sweet ones that will have you swooning. Brenda Novak's In Seconds is a tour de force bringing sophistication to the contemporary suspense genre!

Miranda
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed
on September 17, 2011
This book picks up a few years after Virgil's story. Laurel Hodges (Vivian now) along with her two kids decided to separate from her brother and his wife and WitSec due to The Crew finding them after they had gone into WitSec. She ended up in a small Montana town. It starts off with a murder in the normally peaceful town. Laurel is afraid that The Crew has found her again. Her neighbor is the Sheriff (who is a widower with a teenage daughter) who she had done everything in her power to avoid up to this point. She cannot risk him finding out the truth so she pretends to not be interesting in his advances.
In what worked so well in the first book for me didnt work so well in this one.. There are so many different plot points which I normally dont mind but the two that were hardest was Rex and Myles. There isnt alot of romance between Miles and Laurel. And what we do get to see and hear about is the doomed but still cares about each other relationship between Laurel and Rex. Rex and Laurel have to many touching moments with each other that I found it hard to root for her and Miles. Laurel was to wrapped up in worrying about Rex (which I was to). Myles was a nice guy and who wouldnt want a nice guy but with him still pining for his dead wife and Laurel always so worried about Rex there was no connect in my opinion between Laurel and Myles.

The best thing about this book is for sure that Ink and Lyle (the Crew members) wont be back. Ink was such an evil character in both books I wouldnt have minded seeing his death instead of his going back to prison. And it was nice to see that Virgil and Laurel and Rex can now go back to leading normal lives without having to use fake names.
on August 30, 2011
Ok, so I read the first book in this series "Inside" and I enjoyed it. The sequel "In Seconds" just fell flat. The romance between the Heroine and Hero was pretty much nonexistent. The constant inner dialogue with the characters was very distracting, I often had to go back and read part's over because I forgot what they were talking about. The characters often came across as being ridiculously naive at times. It was not a boring book by all means but it could have been much better.
on August 19, 2014
It had an interesting plot erbut the violence was more then I care for. She is a good author but these series mystery is good but I don't recommend this even if some of the violent story line does happen when you're a gang member