Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on April 10, 2014
The funny thing is that I'm an adult and read this just for fun, and i found it quite entertaining. it was nostalgic of me, bc i read her other novel Which witch when i was young, and it's nice to see that her style wasn't just something i enjoyed because i was a kid, but something i loved because it was good. Very good book for ur children, so give it to them!
on September 26, 2016
I love this book. I read it as a child and purchased it as an adult after reading a slightly disturbing novel. It was a great light hearted pick me up and that I desperately needed. I plan on reading it to my nephew in a few years. Wonderful characters and creatures.
on August 13, 2000
Platform 13 of King's Cross Railway Station has a doorway that leads to a magical island harmoniously inhabited by a diverse assortment of beings, including humans, hags, feys, mermaids, and furry little creatures called mistmakers. The kingdom's prince was kidnapped as an infant during a visit to London. Nine years later, when the portal between worlds reopens, four rescuers -- Cornelius, an elderly wizard who used to be a university professor in our world; Odge, a young and remarkably unhaglike hag; Gurkintrude, a fey who is sort of a goddess of agricultural plenty; and Hans, a kindly one-eyed ogre from the Alps who yodels and tends goats -- are sent by the king and queen to bring him home. The story is full of eccentric characters, mostly likable, a few definitely not: sundry ghosts who help the rescuers; Melisande, a water nymph who wants it known that she has feet and is not a mermaid; the hilariously obnoxious Mrs. Trottle and her equally unpleasant son; some horrifically amusing and ghastly harpies who have permanent waves and carry handbags; and Ben, a delightful kitchen boy of unknown parentage. The whole thing is very humorous, lively and imaginative, and fans of Diana Wynne Jones and J.K. Rowling most likely will enjoy it immensely. Also well worth reading are Ms. Ibbotson's extremely funny ghost books, obtainable in British paperback editions.
on December 1, 2013
I read this book back when I was in elementary school (I am 18 now) and I absolutely loved it! I really loved the magical island and the fantastical setting. I thought this was an awesome book when I was younger and I plan on getting my 12 year old brother to read it. I definitely think it is worth owning.
on September 9, 2016
Read aloud to grandkids age 7 and 8. We all loved it and could not wait for bedtime to read the next chapter! Hopefully it will become a film. Great story!
on September 25, 2015
Such an unexpected pleasure! Astounding detail, and Odge, what a fabulous character! If you've thought about reading this, do it. You won't regret it! The Trottles give the Dursleys a run for the worst family in magical literature!
on November 8, 2015
I read this because it was recommended to folks who like Harry Potter books. It has the original story of Platform 13. It was a cute plot and had some interesting characters, but overall was not a fascinating story.
on January 17, 2004
The Secret of Platform 13 is an enjoyable book that separates two worlds by a "gump" in a railroad station. The "gump" only opens up every nine years, during one of these openings the infant prince of another world is kidnapped in our world. The rest of the book involves the rescue of the prince nine years later.
This book has been compared to Harry Potter many times, which I feel is, unfair they are two different books. This one is clearly written for younger children.
(Interestingly, there is a parody of Harry Potter where the main character is named "Trotter" the arch villain in Platform 13 is named Trottle, I wondered if the parody was trying to point that out?)
While I did enjoy the book there were things that I found disappointing, for instance, the Ibbotson goes to the trouble of creating another world and yet the majority of the plot is set in London, that's too bad as it would have been far more interesting to tell us about the other world.
Where other books in this genre leave the world as we know it, Ibbotson can't seem to get herself to do it.
Ibbotson tells us that "And in 1983- the year the Americans put a woman in space-..." I kept wondering what was going to happen that made 1983 important, as it turned out the date had no significance to the story at all, no other years were mentioned. The Americans and the woman in space were simply thrown in for a PC statement. Throughout the book she never lets you leave this world. Even when she travels to the other world, she keeps reminding you of this one.
There are the "Harpies" which she describes as horrible vulture type creatures that smell horribly. She describes their leader "Mrs. Smith" having a face of a "bossy lady politician." This and the following description was an obvious dig a Margaret Thatcher. The illustrator left no doubt here that is what she meant.
Later we also are told that Raymond's dad is a banker, which gives Ibbotson another opportunity to express a political opinion.
In spite of all this, the book is fun to read, however it could have been better.
on June 19, 2002
Platform 13 in Kings Cross Station is unused, but noone will tear it down. Under Platform 13 is a gump, a secret opening to another world. The king and queen of that world have a baby who is kidnapped on a visit through the gump. Unfortunately the gump only opens once every nine years and then for only nine days. The royal couple sends a foursome of rescuers to find him at the next gump opening, but do they really want him back?
This is a very well written and enjoyable story. The characters are wonderful and it is suitable for children of all ages.
on January 12, 2016
Adorable and interesting. Fast read and great for young readers or adults who just want a breath of fresh air