- Age Range: 9 - 12 years
- Grade Level: 4 - 7
- Lexile Measure: 760 (What's this?)
- Hardcover: 208 pages
- Publisher: Scholastic Press (August 29, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0545863201
- ISBN-13: 978-0545863209
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 8.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 11.7 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 11 customer reviews
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#305,167 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #463 in Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Bullies
- #1370 in Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Self-Esteem & Self-Respect
- #4946 in Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Friendship
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade Hardcover – August 29, 2017
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"A brave book . . . Jordan Sonnenblick carries it off with such charm and elan, you forget for a moment your heart is breaking." -- Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes
* "Sonnenblick shows that even in the midst of tragedy, life goes on, love can flower, and the one thing you can always change is yourself." -- Booklist, starred review
"The reader falls in love with the brothers, laughing and crying by turns and rooting for both of them until it almost hurts." -- Kirkus Reviews
Praise for After Ever After:
* "As hilarious as it is tragic, and as honest as it is hopeful, don't confuse this book with inspirational reading. It's irresistible reading.” -- Booklist, starred review
* "Sonnenblick's intimate first-person tale of survival is a solid stand-alone novel that will leave an emotional, uplifting imprint on readers." -- School Library Journal, starred review
"Told with Sonnenblick's trademark self-deprecating humor, this stand-alone tween narrative slots neatly into the space between the author's YA and J titles, sensitively dealing with issues of family, friendship and death in a way that will appeal to middle-grade students. Recommended for fans and new readers alike.” -- Kirkus Reviews
About the Author
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Sonnenblick’s take on sixth grade is wonderfully dark and funny. He looks straight at bullying in middle school and clearly understands it. This book grapples with serious subjects such as physical abuse, abandonment, alcoholism and the loss of a parent. Happily, Maverick is a character who somehow manages to look at these troubles with a sarcastic wit that allows readers to cope as well. When looked at without Maverick’s lens on things, his home life is not only terrible but dangerous as well. Sonnenblick manages to use humor not to minimize these issues but to allow readers to see them clearly without pity but with lots of empathy.
Sonnenblick’s take on school administration is equally successful. He creates a pair of horrors for students: The Bee who is the terrifying assistant principal and The Bird who is the awful school nurse. The Bee turns out to have a heart of gold and to be aware of what is happening in the halls almost before the students are. The Bird on the other hand wields Lysol spray as antiseptic for cuts.
A triumphant story of a young hero who finds help in unlikely places on his journey. Appropriate for ages 9-12.
Most recent customer reviews
Maverick wants to be a hero: for his mom, who is constantly out of work and drinking; for his father, who died in Afghanistan; and for himself, who is picked...Read more