& FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
About the Product
- Conspiracies, Myths and Legends - Everything is true. A real-world, modern-day MMO reaching into legends and myths that unravels as the player progresses.
- No Classes, No levels - Be who you want to be, and play how you want to play. Hundreds of abilities and powers are available as you evolve your character without traditional level or class restraints.
- Join a Secret Society and fight in the Secret War with thousands of other players. As a member of the Illuminati, the Dragon or the Templars - fight together against the rising tide of darkness or battle against other players in massive PvP warzones.
- Epic storyline and missions. Unravel mysteries and conspiracies in one of the most engrossing stories ever told in an MMO, told through groundbreaking mission gameplay and overarching storyline.
- Incredible graphics. Enjoy ground-breaking graphics as The Secret World sets new standards for MMO visuals.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
The Secret World is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) set in a modern Earth environment, but incorporating a wealth of mythological, magic-based and urban legend elements into its action. Gameplay revolves around the struggle of good vs. evil, and is designed for in-depth and enjoyable play for all players, dispensing with traditional RPG levels and character classes. It instead utilizes a skill-based system for character building. Additional features include, a blend of real-life and imagined locations, a variety of secret societies to join, thousands of weapons and powers, and so on.
Unique MMO Play Set in the Our Modern-Day World
Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine a world where vampires hunt for mortal blood in dingy London nightclubs, where werewolves lurk in the sewers beneath Seoul, and where the undead prey on the living in the shadows of New York City. Imagine a world where you can become anything you want to be, without restrictions such as classes or levels. This is the premise for The Secret World, Funcom's Massively Multiplayer Online RPG set in the modern-day real world.
Imagine a world where entire governments are swayed by the hidden hand and word of secret societies. In The Secret World you get to join these secret societies. The Illuminati, the Dragon and the Templars - each stand united in their war against the rising darkness, but divided in their pursuit for power. What secret society you choose to join will have profound, long-lasting effects on your gameplay experience.
Key Game Features
- No Classes. No Levels. Total Freedom of Play - The Secret World has no classes or levels. It gives you complete freedom to be whoever you want to be and play however you want to play.
- Real Locations Throughout the World - The Secret World allows you to adventure through your own, modern-day world. Explore cities and adventure through locations spanning across continents.
- Join a Secret Society and Fight for Your Side - Join one of three secret societies – the Illuminati, the Dragon or the Templars - and fight together or against other players for the power to control the world.
- A Storyline Unlike Anything Seen in an MMO - From creative mind of Ragnar Tørnquist -- creator of the award-winning The Longest Journey -- comes a story unlike any before seen in an MMO.
- Thousands of Weapons and Powers - Pistols, assault rifles, black magic, fireballs, katanas, explosives – there are hundreds of different weapons and powers to use.
Minimum System Requirements
- OS - Windows XP (SP 1) / Vista (SP 1) / Windows 7 (SP 1)
- Processor - 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
- RAM - At least 2 GB RAM for Windows XP / 3 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Hard Drive - At least 30 GB of free space
- Drive - 8X or faster DVD drive (for installation only)
- Video Card - nVidia 8800 series 512 VRAM or better/Radeon HD3850 512 MB or better
- DirectX - DirectX 9.0c compatible
- Input - Keyboard and Mouse
- Game requires monthly fee and internet connection.
Modern & mythic elements.
Deep character customization.
Modern Earth environments.
Varied weapons and powers.
Top Customer Reviews
The world is an amalgamation of conspiracy theories and horror themes. It's a very bleak world and this is very much apparent once you're out of the three primary cities (London, New York, and Seoul), which are very detailed and well-constructed (London being my favorite by far). If you're a fan of Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, or Supernatural, you will probably enjoy the atmosphere. It will be even more enjoyable if you collect and read the hundreds (thousands?) of lore items scattered throughout the world that offer greater insight into specific events or groups.
There are three factions, the Dragon, the Illuminati, and the Templars. They are united in their fight against the darkness, but often very much at odds over historical events. They each have their own storyline, and many of the responses to different quests are unique to the faction. The Dragon have a more eastern/philosophical outlook on things, the Templars are a bit more mystical and militaristic, and the Illuminati are very business-like and technical. The stories you encounter reflect this, as the Templar story often feels very mystical while the Illuminati story has more of a conspiracy feel to it.
The dialogue is particularly entertaining. You do not get to make responses, as in SWTOR, but I found the NPCs much more interesting to listen to in TSW. They often seem like real people and make amusing or enlightening analogies. You can talk to many about a variety of topics that do not directly apply to a quest, and I've spent several hours doing so without realizing how much time had passed.Read more ›
The Secret World turns a lot of old ideas on their head. Leveling no longer exists, or at least not in the traditional sense. You still earn experience but instead of being greeted with a new level when you fill your experience bar, you now receive Skill Points to be spent in several areas. Along the way however, you also earn Ability Points to be spent on new abilities. You get to fully customize your character to do pretty much whatever you feel like that particular day. You can be a healer one minute and a tank the next. It's a great system that has a ton of depth to it.
Quests are also really well written. All the main quests of cinematic, fully voiced scenes. Side quests usual involve finding notes which is the only reason those aren't voiced. The quests have a lot of variety to them as well. While it is true you'll find fetch quests here and there, even those are done in ways that don't feel repetitive. Something that is truly wonderful about the game is the puzzle and research quests. The game forces you to really think sometimes to solve a puzzle, while other times the game gives you just enough clues for you to research it online (and also has a built in web browser to help). It really adds to the immersion and lore of the game.
Speaking of lore and story, the game really knows what it's doing in this area as well.Read more ›
I have to say I was absolutely blown away. I finally found a game that wasn't based on _that OTHER MMO that everyone knows_ and I was ecstatic.
They threw out the traditional level grind and made something much more interesting. A sideways and vertical progression. You still level, you still gain experience but it comes in the form of two kinds of points, which can be spent on skill proficiencies and abilities to go along with those skills. The simple fact that your character can learn EVERYTHING in the game is amazing. But the great equalizer is that out of ALL the abilities and ALL the skills... you can only ever have a total of 7 active abilities and 7 passive abilities "at the ready."
What this means is a bit forethought on the part of the player. What will you need for a fight? Which abilities do I have that are going to be best for this area? Need a healer and no one else can? But you can! Change into it! Change from a TANK to a DAMAGE DEALER to a HEALER to any kind of hybrid there-in. There are synergies between all the abilities and untold 1000's of combinations that you can put together to make as unique a character as you want.
Csutomization is amazing out of the box too. In other games, the race for the best gear often results in all the characters of a class looking 100% the same. In the secret world, it's quite rare to see soemone else wearing what you are wearing. It does in fact appear to be a truly living world. In fact my character, well, I change my clothes every hour or so when I'm playing.
PVP is also fun!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Game started strong then petered out. They had 3 changes in creative direction over the development that left a mark and made it impossible for it to find it's footing. Read morePublished 27 days ago by Amazon Customer
People who gave this game a bad review probably only spent a day, maybe two days playing this game, and then making a determination that TSW (The Secret World) was boring, garbage,... Read morePublished 28 days ago by Amazon Customer
Fantastic story. The combat system is dated (some friends claim unplayable). I honestly view this game as an interactive literature purchase, more than anything, and when I have... Read morePublished 2 months ago by rebutters
This is not your average MMO that has you running around following quest markers. This one makes you think, they drop clues, and hints to your next destination. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
I've been playing MMOs since everquest in 1999, and MUDs on BBSs before that. I've beta tested and played more MMOs then I can count without sitting down and taking the time to... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Jonathon Pennewell