+ $3.99 shipping
& FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping
Just ship to us for free.
We are unable to process your trade-in order.
About the product
- Conspiracies, Myths and Legends - Everything is true. A real-world, modern-day MMO reaching into legends and myths that unravels as the player progresses.
- No Classes, No levels - Be who you want to be, and play how you want to play. Hundreds of abilities and powers are available as you evolve your character without traditional level or class restraints.
- Join a Secret Society and fight in the Secret War with thousands of other players. As a member of the Illuminati, the Dragon or the Templars - fight together against the rising tide of darkness or battle against other players in massive PvP warzones.
- Epic storyline and missions. Unravel mysteries and conspiracies in one of the most engrossing stories ever told in an MMO, told through groundbreaking mission gameplay and overarching storyline.
- Incredible graphics. Enjoy ground-breaking graphics as The Secret World sets new standards for MMO visuals.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Dark days are coming. All the myths, legends and conspiracies of the world are true. Three secret societies - the Illumunati, the Templar and the Dragon - are recruiting thousands of civilians from all over the world, civilians with extraordinary powers embedded in their DNA, to aid them in the war against darkness...and each other. The Secret World is a next-generation massively multiplayer online (MMO) role-playing game developed by Funcom and co-published by Electronic Arts.
The Secret World is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) set in a modern Earth environment, but incorporating a wealth of mythological, magic-based and urban legend elements into its action. Gameplay revolves around the struggle of good vs. evil, and is designed for in-depth and enjoyable play for all players, dispensing with traditional RPG levels and character classes. It instead utilizes a skill-based system for character building. Additional features include, a blend of real-life and imagined locations, a variety of secret societies to join, thousands of weapons and powers, and so on.
Unique MMO Play Set in the Our Modern-Day World
Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine a world where vampires hunt for mortal blood in dingy London nightclubs, where werewolves lurk in the sewers beneath Seoul, and where the undead prey on the living in the shadows of New York City. Imagine a world where you can become anything you want to be, without restrictions such as classes or levels. This is the premise for The Secret World, Funcom's Massively Multiplayer Online RPG set in the modern-day real world.
Imagine a world where entire governments are swayed by the hidden hand and word of secret societies. In The Secret World you get to join these secret societies. The Illuminati, the Dragon and the Templars - each stand united in their war against the rising darkness, but divided in their pursuit for power. What secret society you choose to join will have profound, long-lasting effects on your gameplay experience.
Key Game Features
- No Classes. No Levels. Total Freedom of Play - The Secret World has no classes or levels. It gives you complete freedom to be whoever you want to be and play however you want to play.
- Real Locations Throughout the World - The Secret World allows you to adventure through your own, modern-day world. Explore cities and adventure through locations spanning across continents.
- Join a Secret Society and Fight for Your Side - Join one of three secret societies – the Illuminati, the Dragon or the Templars - and fight together or against other players for the power to control the world.
- A Storyline Unlike Anything Seen in an MMO - From creative mind of Ragnar Tørnquist -- creator of the award-winning The Longest Journey -- comes a story unlike any before seen in an MMO.
- Thousands of Weapons and Powers - Pistols, assault rifles, black magic, fireballs, katanas, explosives – there are hundreds of different weapons and powers to use.
Minimum System Requirements
- OS - Windows XP (SP 1) / Vista (SP 1) / Windows 7 (SP 1)
- Processor - 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
- RAM - At least 2 GB RAM for Windows XP / 3 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Hard Drive - At least 30 GB of free space
- Drive - 8X or faster DVD drive (for installation only)
- Video Card - nVidia 8800 series 512 VRAM or better/Radeon HD3850 512 MB or better
- DirectX - DirectX 9.0c compatible
- Input - Keyboard and Mouse
- Game requires monthly fee and internet connection.
Modern & mythic elements.
Deep character customization.
Modern Earth environments.
Varied weapons and powers.
Top customer reviews
Is TSW a perfect game? No, the game play can get a little rough at times, and the character builder feels quite flat. But it has by far the best story of any MMO I've ever played, rivaling many triple A solo games stories. The atmosphere of modern horror is perfect without resorting to cheap scares, but instead weaving a tale of Lovecraftian horror and survival, all with the backdrop of major political forces moving in the background. The 'leveling' system is by far one of the best and most original that I've ever seen in an MMO, eschewing traditional 'levels' and 'classes' in favor of a more free form system of upgrading skills and items to build a unique character. In addition this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, and by far the best looking MMO of anything I've ever seen. Top all of this off with the fact that you buy the game once and play it for free, no subscription fee, and this game is a no brainer.
I'd recommend springing for the ultimate edition for the extra few bucks, you'll get a TON more content, and odds are once you start playing, you'll fall in love with it the same way I did. Overall I give this Two Thumbs Up!
After seeing it on amazon for $10, I caved and picked it up, seeing as I've never seen a better price. After maybe 10 hours of intro gameplay, I have to say it was worth it, and I would've even paid 20 for it!
The environments are amazing! A little outdated-looking and a tad bit clunky with the mechanics, but REALLY not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Think GTA 4 on wasd controls. As someone who's grown up on video games, the graphics are still surprisingly good. The only downside is the map is pretty empty so far, but again I'm just starting on the map so I'm sure there's not many lowbies running around.
The storyline is a string of cliche horror stories come to life with some humor mixed in, but this is exactly what I was looking for in TSW. Zombies, ghosts, and beefed up monsters are everywhere, and they are pretty tough. Most fights are going to require some strategy as opposed to the usual buttonmashing with an MMORPG.
The missions have unique points. There's a lot of the classic 'collect x' or 'kill x many of x' in every zone, then you have your main storyline missions that have great cutscenes that made me laugh from time to time. NPC's actually conversing keeps the quest at hand worth paying attention. Most times you'll need to pay close attention anyway, because every little detail could be the only clue to progress through the mission. I've already run across a few puzzles that really make you put the effort in to figure it out. This is actually a big plus in my book, because it feels like you're actually doing something rather than hacking and slashing for quest loot.
So here are the negatives I've seen so far:
The ONLY MAJOR ISSUE I've had which really annoyed me is that you're going to run across a buggy mission somewhere down the road. My suggestion is if you're stumped and are pretty sure it isn't you, google the mission name. Most bugged missions have been mentioned by other players.
The next issue I have? I know I'm repeating myself, but the lack of other players. I've played plenty of online games, whether paid, sub, or f2p. This is actually a really good game with a fresh twist on the genre that's more impressive than a lot of the cliche garbage out there. Plenty of people have said, and I agree, that this is mostly due to the fact that WoW was releasing MoP AND the lack of marketing to promote it. I never heard of this game until I saw it on steam, and if I would've actually seen some advertising I know me and my friends would've tried it.
LONG STORY SHORT:
If you're like me and are cautious about trying a game without a trial (they have trial keys they give away, just never got one) and have been curious about this game, I say get it. This game is most similar to SWTOR; it's pretty much a solo rpg with a storyline, but you can still group up and play together. I know I'll continue to play this game, because the storyline is really fun so far and would love to progress further to see what happens. Giving 4/5 stars because it was better than I expected, but the buggy quests are a big problem for an MMORPG.
*Will update after further progress*
Cons: The only reason I didn't give The Secret World 5 stars is because, being a brand new game, they still have a few bugs to work out. Also the game is lacking some features that gamers have come to expect from MMO's, but the development team says that most of those features are in the works and will be arriving shortly (within the next couple months).
Conclusion: BUY IT, LOVE IT, PLAY IT. I don't want to spoil all the fun, but this game rocks! It's made for adults, it's difficult, it requires you to think, and is truly a pleasure to play.