Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Secrets of Elegance: How to be elegant in 10 basic steps
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on January 22, 2012
"Secrets of Elegance" is an essential guide on how to be elegant. Elegance comes from your compassionate heart, your loving spirit and how you treat others. So many people are mistaken to believe that elegance is from the brands you wear or the money you make. True elegance comes from your attitude and your love of life. I highly recommend this book. Its a great read and very insightful. It offers advise on following your passions and constantly expanding your perspective.
on October 31, 2012
good read if you truly have an interest in this topic (and/or self improvement). Author is coming from a "good placing". Book has nurturing helpful tone, not pretentious. sometimes it seems a bit elementary, but that's not a terrible thing when you set yourself up to be a learner and a grower. A slight caution -English is not the author's first language so you will need to overlook some grammar and other things BUT still a helpful book,author is knowledgeable on her topic. I like the book and the author.
on March 12, 2014
As I don't "kindle", I ended up tracking this book down on the author's website in paperback form. I wasn't sure what to expect, given some of the criticism of her other books, but I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised. Although this book is intended for new bon vivants and those with a budding interest in elegance, I have gotten quite a bit out of this book- and I'm not even finished yet. It's a nice introduction for the uninitiated and an equally nice reminder for everyone else.

The book is very slim, maybe around 100 pages give or take, but it's taken me a bit to read it because the author gives the reader good food for thought. She makes some very good arguments for elegance- what it is (living well, taking good care of yourself, treating others with kindness, culture) and what it isn't (designer handbags and expensive clothes.) She's also very motivational- in fact the first chapters are set up as a work-book to help you focus on your own style and goals. She really motivated me to get going on some of my own ambitions and I've already seen results.

Yes, there are some grammatical mistakes and stylistic issues but it needs to be said that (a) the author is not a native English speaker and (b) the book is self-published without the luxury of an editor. If you read the book with the expectation of coming across the occasional awkward sentence or misspelled word then it won't be so distracting. I also feel that those people who discount the book based on those two criteria should maybe look at WHAT she is saying instead of HOW she is saying it and they would perhaps get more out of it. Very few people speak a second language, much less dare to publish a book in one, so my feeling is that the criticism garnered here is a bit harsh.

In any case, this book is a little gem. Positive, motivational, and informative. I'm very happy that I bought it and look forward to finishing it.
on January 1, 2014
This is a great little book. It's informative and straight to the point.

Ms Leong's website is also a treasure trove of relevant information.

To the criticism of some of the grammatical errors contained in the book, I would like to point out that English is not her first language. Don't let that put you off, this book is a mine of good information - I know many native speakers of English who make far greater errors.
on March 24, 2013
I just finished a book about Coco Chanel, and moved on to read this. What a waste of money! Apparently, you must be religious & be reminded to shower. Now, I do know about the showering, but I knew about the showering. The "instruction" and writing is so rudimentary. it is unbelievable this was actually sold for money. i feel dumb for having wasted money on this book. there are many other better options than this book if you're interested in elegance!. don't choose this book. Words cannot describe the disappointment :(
on April 10, 2015
While I don't agree with everything in the book, I think there is a lot of generally sound advice, and I admire the author's dedication to an outdated art form - elegance and being ladylike - in this day and age. I suspect there are one or two points that everyone can take away (male or female)!

I think it is possible to 'read around' points that one doesn't agree with (e.g. I'm not a Christian, so I'm not going to go to church except as a visitor - one does wonder, as a side note, why some authors assume that the entire audience is Christian; I don't agree with the view that only straight hair is elegant but rather I feel that people should embrace what comes naturally). The author is clearly writing from a perspective and context, and I think that, recognizing that, one can find use in what she is saying even if it is not 100% personally applicable.
on November 4, 2015
I thought this book was valuable in the regard that it assisted me in being a more conscience person. It's important to project an image that you would be proud of whether that be to strangers or co workers. I understand the Audrey Hepburn reference but I don't think it was necessary to mention her so frequently.
on June 16, 2014
Some of the advice in the book doesn't apply to everyone, however I thought it was a good little read. The author included plenty of inspiration throughout as well as lists and steps to take to work toward having a more elegant life.
on October 19, 2011
Secrets of Elegance is an easy to read primer for women of all ages who desire to elevate their lifestyles by fine-tuning their appearance, and refining their behaviors. I highly recommend this book for those new to learning etiquette and basic manners.
on June 12, 2014
1- It only teaches you (in a nutshell) that you should be 100% perfect at all times and dress, look, and act like everyone else.
2- WHY the heck is it so long?
3- It is overall a very boring, generic, book ever filled with many things most women (with common sense) already know. Save your money, people!

I suggest you save your money and look at YouTube instead. Why buy a way-too-long book when you have free spoken tutorials online?