Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic: How to Help Your Child Play a Musical Instrument with Enthusiasm
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on December 26, 2012
First off, the `Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic' is not some dry instructional how-to-be-good-parents reference. It is one of those rare books that come every once in a while that are set to become classics in their own right.

More importantly, `Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic' is deeply enlightening--if you have harbored questions that seemed to have no answers in the course of trying to educate your child on playing a musical instrument--and failing despite your good intentions--then this is a book for you. For example, if your child had started taking up lessons in playing the violin, and initially excelling in it, then mysteriously the child's interest vanishes, then you'll find an answer in this book.

Moreover, the author's writing style is easy-going and delightfully conversational--the text entertains as well as instructs through a series of related stories and anecdotes to make the learning much more impactful. And even if you're not actually having your child learn how to play music (although you should), you'll learn so much from this book, if only through the true-to-life experiences of another parent.

But apart from all the parenting insight, of course, is the incredible techniques provided by the book. Teaching your child how to play a musical instrument has several benefits--your child learns discipline, self-respect, self-confidence and a deep appreciation of their own talents and abilities, as well as enriches their intellect. And `Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic' shows you the way, detail after helpful detail.

For its price, `Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic' is a steal.

This book deserves all the five stars it can get.
on December 27, 2012
My mom was a typing teacher by trade and a played the piano, so she tried to teach me piano like she taught typing. Disaster. Wish she had known these stories. I love music, and make a part of my living writing about it, but lost the stomach to ever want to learn to play music. These stories are great lesson in how to pace your child's interest and aptitude. The book takes the view that learning music is similar to learning to walk and talk and addresses differences in how parents typically approach teaching, for example, walking and music to a child. Parents never scold a child taking their first steps because they are not immediately sprinting, but yet a parent with a musical background will often scold a child for being off key when just starting out. The stories here do a great job of making obvious some very practical approaches to teaching music.
on January 5, 2013
This is a really thorough guide that is going to help you take the exact right approach when it comes to teaching your child how to play an instrument to their fullest potential. It teaches you how to help your child to want to play the instrument of their choosing, rather than just forcing them to practice it or anything like that. It is not only full of great advice for teaching a child an instrument, but it also has a lot of info that will help you be a better parent in general. It really is a great book.
on December 29, 2012
This book is a must read for the music lover, and anyone that has the talent to play an instrument. Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic is a learning tool, and educational process for children, and great for those who have a relationship with them who can help guide them on their musical ventures. It gives you a lot of information on how to keep them focused, teaching your children, and finding a teacher for them. I highly recommend this book!
on January 8, 2013
I am an amateur musician. I've sung in church, played guitar for nearly 40 years, and was raised by my elementary school music teacher, who was also my mother. I taught my two sons to play guitar and encouraged my daughter in choir through her senior year of high school. This isn't a little pamphlet on teaching music to your kids. It's a very full, extensive guide to inspiring your children. Teaching my own children about music was challenging and sometimes frustrating, but those were the times we got away from just enjoying music. Bandurina brings a host of ideas to this effort so that any parent can help their child have a love for music. One of the main reasons I applaud this book's appearance on the market is because many school districts are trying to cut costs by paring or eliminating music programs. Bandurina states that while there is a spotlight on naturally and highly talented people, there is more to learning music than simply trying to become famous. What about the person who grows to become a parent who can play an instrument at Christmas and lead the family in singing carols? Who does that anymore? Well, my family does, for one, because I lead it. I love that she effectively dispels the myth of a "musical ear." Any parent reading this who has been told that your child has no musical talent should consider that that was at the convenience of the person who told you that. Read this book and get some insight into how to help your child expand creative horizons. Get some inspiration of your own to just relax, chill, and let your child enjoy music. I have to admit that my worst experiences of high school band were "practice." I hated practicing. I always want to just perform and I didn't give a hill of beans whether I was playing exactly right. Parents can help their children balance between the routine of practice and enjoying the thrill of music by looking at the chapter on "Parents' Mistakes." You can't make work out of learning music. All great points! To be clear, this book will not help you teach a musical instrument to your child. It will, however, give you a wealth of information in helping your child develop and maintain interest in music, strengthen your own joy of music, and help your child find a music teacher. I've not seen another book like this one and I wish I'd had it when my children were small. However, as she points out, it's never too late.
on December 29, 2012
Helping your child learn a musical instrument is one of the best things you can do for their development - it teaches discipline, relieves stress, gives a sense of achievement, makes children smarter (recent research suggests exposure to music might benefit a child's reading age, IQ and the development of certain parts of the brain), and last but not least - it's just plain fun!

This book will guide you towards giving your child the best assistance possible to learn an instrument and stick with it - like so many things today, starting is easy, but it's continuing and maintaining discipline and perserverance that are difficult. Not to mention all the modern distractions for children!

I've got young kids and I want them to start learning in a year or two and I have complete faith that this book will help us get there! A very interesting collection of true stories. I love the way it is written too, in a laid-back style that is easy to comprehend and follow. Highly recommended!!
on January 3, 2013
I have a daughter who wants to play an instrument but does not know which one, and we don't really know how to guide her - or keep her enthused after the initial excitement wears off! This book, "Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic: How to Help Your Child Play a Musical Instrument with Enthusiasm", is a must read for anyone who has a child that is interested in playing an instrument.... or a parent who wants their child to play an instrument and wants to get them excited about it. It is written in a really conversational manner that is easy to digest and really will make it feel like you are just getting some really good advice from another parent. I really liked how direct and straightforward the writing was - it made it much easier for me to relate! While it definitely gives some parenting tips, it does it in a very respectful way (not condescending like some of the parenting books out there!).
on January 3, 2013
As a child, I had interests in dancing and music. Our financial situation did allow me to pursue either at the time. I still love both, and have shared that with my own children. My husband's side of the family is extremely musical and so are our children. This book has helped me to see where I can improve upon, in my encouragement of their talents, gifts and abilities.

The short stories throughout really spoke to my heart. I could see a little of my own life in each one and for me, stories create an imagery that I can share with my children. It amazed me to read of these talented children. What a blessing. I believe that these stories are ones that most of us can relate to in one way or the other.

I really enjoyed this book and will be sharing it with others... parents, teachers, children. There is something for each of us to learn!
on December 29, 2012
In this book, the author covers most of the questions and problems that a person can experience when getting their child to like and study music both vocally and instrumentally. She covers both the aspect of getting a child involved in music at the beginning, and the stumbling blocks there, and keeping them studying and enjoying it later on.

I found the book interesting, and it is delivered in a conversational style, with the parents in the story talking to a music teacher about their problems and the teacher recommending ways to help their child.

Anyone interested in helping their child to fall in love with music would benefit from this book. A lot of the techniques talked about would apply to many aspects of nurturing any of a child's interests.
on January 1, 2013
I purchased the book `Secrets of Parenting with Love and Logic' and thought this will be an another instructional parenting book but my impression totally changed once i completed this book. I have never seen any other book that explains the parenting aspect as author Tatiana Bandurina .

The author answered many questions i had in my mind and thought that i know the answers but the information in the book was an eyeopener for me. Teaching your child how to play a musical instrument has several benefits your child learns discipline, self-respect, self-confidence and a deep appreciation of their own talents and abilities.

Enjoy the authors writing style and i highly recommend this book