Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 47 reviews
on June 13, 2011
SECRETS by S.L. Pierce is an exciting thriller/suspense set in present day high tech world of computers. Gwen Michaels,(AKA) we never learn her true identity,she an retired assassin.She left the assassination business because she was starting to enjoy it to much.She is happily married until someone tries to kill her.Bad mistake on their part. Jack Michaels,Gwen's husband,doesn't know of her past secrets,but he is about to find out. Gwen is a kick butt kinda girl,who will her answers, and only believes in black and while,no gray areas. While,Jack gets pulled into this secret life of his wife's.To keep him safe until Gwen can find out who and why someone is trying to kill her.It has nothing to do with her past. This is a high octane,action packed,kick butt story with high tech secrets,betrayal,a few killings,a husband who is simply amazed by his wife,and a heroine who is a kick butt girl.I would have liked to have seen Jack more manly,he only sees the good in people and is an all around good person.Overall,this is a good story with an interesting plot...a female retired assassin..you don't read much on them.The characters are interesting.Although,Gwen,does kill a couple of people and doesn't get caught.She worked with high powered people within the government,so all is good. The bottom line is you try to kill Gwen and you don't get to live..This is a good read that will keep you turning the pages.This book was received for the purpose of review from Nurture Virtual Book Tourz and the author and details can be found at My Book Addiction and More.Available at Barnes & Nobles,Amazon, Smashwords.
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2011
Upon opening the book and reading the first few sentences, I was hooked. Gwen Michaels is a former assassin, but when she is attacked in her own home by an unknown assailant, she is thrust back into her old element. Impossible for me to put down once started, the story kept me on pins and needles as I followed Gwen's investigation. I loved being privy to her thoughts and ideas. For Gwen, life is simple, decisions are unambiguous. Gwen is a tough cookie and her fiancé, Jack soon learns things about her past that Gwen had hoped never to reveal. Now Jack must step up because Gwen is determined to protect him, whatever the cost.

I was swept away by this tale. Gwen fascinated me, and I genuinely liked and cared about her. She is not your stereotypical protagonist. As the story progressed, the action was relentless; I loved that the descriptive details were kept to a minimum. I was provided enough information to set the ongoing movie firmly in my mind without having to slog through the minutia. This book is a definite keeper, for me. It is tightly structured with above average editing - I noted a couple of word usage errors and a time/place transition that was disconcerting for a moment, only. If you love fast-paced, action-intensive stories, featuring a fearless, savvy, combat-trained female protagonist with ice in her veins, then you, too, should get this book.
on August 31, 2014
I loved 'Secrets'. I was pulled in from the first page and didn't stop. This book is so full of mystery, action, suspense and has a great storyline. I loved the kick-ass lead Gwen. She is full of surprises. Jack held on better than I thought he would. The characters were great. I can't wait to read more of Gwen's adventures. A must add to your tbr list. Recommended!
on August 6, 2013
I had enough of a problem with spelling errors, poor punctuation and sentence structure that I stopped reading
the story fairly early on. I was distracted by these problems and would have to re-read some sentences, rather than
just being able to enjoy the story line.
on May 5, 2011
This is a whodunit, with a side order of "believable" action at its best. Not your regular mystery novel; it keeps you glued to your chair, a real page turner. The author does an excellent job tying the characters together in a neat bow with a twist you never expect. The reader is not bogged down with useless details, but instead their attention never strays, they are captured by every moment. There's enough background to understand where each character comes from, and a glimpse into where they're headed. The action parts of the book are not far out, hard to believe, but are heart-pumping never the less.

This is one heroine you like, from page one. Gwen Michaels is a down to earth assassin, who left the assassination game because she was beginning to like it too much. She doesn't believe in gray areas, it's all black and white. You try to kill her, you don't get to live.

The author does a great job at capturing the reader's undivided attention, which is why I found it to be a quick read.
on January 16, 2012
Gwen Michaels is an ex assassin for the U.S. Government living a "normal" life in middle class American with her husband until someone breaks into her house and tries to kill her.

The foiled attempt on her life thrusts her into a world filled with secrets ... secrets that rival her own.

Everyone in this story has secrets. You almost feel a bit schizophrenic reading this story because it seems disorganized at times because of the way it diverges to reflect the secrets and motives of the secondary characters. And the secondary characters in this story are just as important as Gwen.

Gwen follows the clues as if she were playing a real life version of the board game Clue. Is it Colonel Mustard in the library with the led pipe or Ms. Scarlet in the lounge with the smoking revolver?

Of course...not literally Colenel Mustard and Ms. Scarlet...but you get the picture.

You discover "who done it" at the very end but even then "reveal" was not as simple as finding the murder weapon in Clue because it was intertwined with the secrets and motives of others.

Definitely a very fast paced thriller with enough suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat.
on September 18, 2012
First off let me say if a story fails to capture my attention right away, there is little chance I'll continue to read it. This one grabbed my attention very quickly and didn't let go. In short it was a real page-turner.

I won't go into details about the story, rather than simply to say read the blurb provided by the author. If you think this is your kind of story, I don't feel you'll be disappointed.

I would have given this story 4 ½ stars if that were possible. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was I personally would have liked to see the main character Gwen Michaels find herself in a situation where even she isn't so sure she'll get out alive. Gwen is gutsy, intelligent and very well trained and it would have been nice to see her really pull all of these attributes together with maybe just a bit of luck thrown in.

I will be looking for more stories by this author.
If you read a lot, this novel can be finished in an evening, but you won't feel cheated. The action starts right at the beginning when Gwen, a former military operative, is targeted by a hit man and she needs to find out why. Unfortunately this means she has to tell her husband what she used to do for a living. The story is well-paced and the mystery holds out until the end, making sense to a lay person like me (don't know if someone with a different background might find it full of holes). The only thing that detracts are some minor grammar issues (eg. "were" instead of "we're", "it's" instead of "its" several times and "secretaries" instead of secretary's) which weren't enough to detract from the main story, but just enough to bother a grammar-nazi like me. The first person writing is very well done and the character of Gwen is very likable. Closer to 4.5 stars than 4 for me. Well worth the time and the price.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
Secrets is a mystery that feels like a spy action-adventure novel with fewer shoot-`em-up scenes. While relatively short for the genre (whatever you think the genre is), it works great as a fast-paced thrill ride. The character of Gwen, her husband Jake, and some of the subsidiary characters provide interesting contrasts in morals and ethics to consider. While at times it stretches the ability to suspend disbelief (even more typical of a spy novel than a mystery or thriller), if you'll just take it all on faith, I think you'll find Secrets a fun time.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on July 28, 2012
In a world dominated by dangerous male super-spies, Secret's protaganist, former-government assassin Gwen Michaels, is a much needed breath of fresh air!

The story opens with our heroine in a VERY precarious situation and doesn't let up until the nicely plotted ending. The characters are fun and easy to connect with, and the plot has enough twists to keep you interested without being overly complicated.

I refuse to give away any of the story's secrets but I will say that anyone looking for a well-paced, easy to read thriller with a good blend of humor, action, and mystery should definitely buy this book!