Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 16, 2015
I'm no expert on spiritual matters but I am well read and have meditated daily since 1987. I don't count the "acid" years as meditating. This book continually strikes perfect chord after perfect chord. For the perpetually seeking or as I tend to think of myself, lost; it is a precious read.
4 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2008
I love this book and used it quite often in a meditation class I was facilitating. I especially loved Elizabeth's personal description on her 'good and bad meditation'-- I don't have the book close at hand so this is how I remember what it was called. Basically Elizabeth explains it beautifully - to accept yourself throughout the practice of meditation without any self-loathing...."Because when we speak about spiritual practice, like meditation, for example, we use the word "practice" because it's practice for living." ~Elizabeth Lesser(from an interview).

The New American Spirituality: A Seeker's Guide contains much more than other books on the subject of spirituality. It is excellent for someone seeking information on the subject of religious study. A well done reference book illuminating us on the many forms of religion and spirituality. Excellent quotes are included from many teachers, sages...plain good information regarding various religious traditions. Quite the handbook!
19 people found this helpful
on January 28, 2017
A good starting place for me finding my way after a life developement.
Suggested reading from a massage therapist who has used as well.
Well written and easy to understand.
on July 8, 2009
This book really is a seeker's guide. It is like a spiritual toolbox, and can be especially helpful to those who are just beginning to step out on the religious/spiritual path and/or the path to greater psychological wholeness. The author touches upon many themes and offers not just mystical or speculative insights, but really sound, pragmatic advice. I bought a copy of this book for a friend of mine who has been going through some difficult times both psychologically and circumstantially, and who is new to spirituality, questioning, and just trying to be herself. She has almost finished reading it through and has found it very helpful and challenging. I recommend it to anyone interested and especially to those who are new to the subject.
3 people found this helpful
on November 10, 2012
I bought this book for a course on transpersonal psychology and it will stay on my shelf forever. I plan on dipping into it again and again, rereading chapters as they relate to my transpersonal journey and delving into chapters we didn't cover in the course I took.

Lesser is truly a Seeker. I can't imagine anyone traveling through so many different spiritual traditions in one lifetime, but she knows the names, has meditated with the gurus, lived the commune life and then did a little thing like help found the Omega Institute. She has clout, she has great stories to tell (and she tells them well) and she knows her spiritual traditions from the inside out.

I highly recommend this book.
3 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2018
Love Elizabeth Lesser her words are always inspirational!
on February 13, 2018
Love the organization, the personal story of the author's journey that is just enough not TMI and the tools provided and explained as one travels the spiritual journey. Loved drawing from multiple faith traditions not beliefs so much as the practices that are held in common, each with its own nuance.
on November 20, 2015
If you are very interested in enlarging your consciousness through meditation and daily awareness, this book is a great help. For me, the part that spells the way the unhealthy ego can distract your focus was invaluable. I'm a little wiser because of it
One person found this helpful
on May 4, 2015
This book is RICH. I fell into it after reading her book "Broken Open"- which is also amazing. If you're into going inside, looking at the gunk, finding the richness, feeling, letting go, moving through- you will love this. Her books feel like balm for my spirit. Beautiful writing, great truth. ENJOY!
2 people found this helpful
on April 28, 2014
and a book what we read again and again.. thanks.
it is inspiring and even healing.. it tells me more in its compressed form than any other book purchased earlier.
One person found this helpful