Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Seiki 4K TV's are relatively new and have recently made some headlines with being one of the first manufacturers to build a 4K TV for a fraction of the price of the competition. There are many questions that I have such as what, if any, sacrifices were made to get such a low price, how does it work as a PC monitor, gaming possibilities, blu-ray, low-def content, etc. So let's jump in and see how it does!

DESIGN & INPUTS:

First thing to note is how the TV is being used. It's in a medium sized Media/Game room that measures about 14' x 13', give or take a few inches. There are 2 windows with blackout curtains. And I'm normally sitting anywhere from 4 ft (at my desk) to 11 ft (couch) away. This room has a couple of computers, so it's used as an office / game & media room (aka "man cave").

The TV is only about 2" deep and has thin ¾" border around the screen. However, there is a larger "base" at the bottom where the included stand mounts. This protrudes towards the back another 1". It also only weighs about 50lbs.

The TV is currently sitting on a mobile TV cart with it's included stand so I can roll it around as I compare it to my Toshiba 50L2200U 50-Inch 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV that is mounted on the wall. I wanted time to review before making a commitment to replace the already pretty darn awesome Toshiba. :) It's only about a foot lower and is using the same sources. The stand is a bit wobbly if you bump it, but I shouldn't need it for long.

There is also a 2" wide LED "bar" on the front of the TV that changes from blue (on) to red (off). Even though it's larger than necessary and can't be turned off, it's dim enough so I never even notice it when I'm watching TV, even at night. The buttons are on the right side towards the outer edge, facing back. If you mount on a wall, you'll need to feel around for the buttons if you can't find the remote.

You can check out the specs to see what inputs it has. The main inputs I'm focusing on are the 2 downward facing HDMI inputs and 1 side HDMI input. It lacks Optical Out, but does have Coaxial Out (RCA type of cable for S/PDIF). Just a note as some may want to have a way to route high quality audio to an external source. In particular, if you don't have a 4K compatible receiver (more on that later). Otherwise it has all of the other inputs and outputs most folks are looking for.

PICTURE QUALITY:

So how does it look? After its calibrated, most content looks excellent. As with most TV's the default profiles leave much to be desired. My sources are OTA (Over-The-Air) HDTV, Blu-Ray, DVD, a Media Center PC, and a gaming PC. I don't currently have cable or satellite. There have been some mixed results though.

As with all high resolution displays, lower res content will suffer a bit without up-conversion. This is exaggerated even more when you are up-scaling from "normal HD" (720/1080p) up to Ultra HD (4K2K or 3840x2160). As with virtually all high def TV's this is already done for you, on some level. Although the quality of that will most certainly vary depending on the TV (or external scaler) involved and source material. There are considerably more pixels that have to be filled in on a 4K TV so the quality can vary.

I'm going to have separate sections for the various sources as there was quite a bit to cover. So I'm focusing on overall picture quality of the TV itself. And well, overall, it looks very nice; once calibrated of course (see section below). This is very important. Out of the box this TV had one of the worse picture quality I've seen in quite a while, almost entirely due to Noise Reduction being turned on by default for every input.

The TV does have local dimming where it tries to improve overall contrast ratio by limiting the back-light to only what needs light. You're really only going to notice this on a specific scenes where there isn't much content on the screen. Such as a small opening logo on the screen. It does a good job of limited this so it's not annoying. For example, the first fight scene in Star Wars III is a good test, as it's entirely filmed in space. Black levels looks great, no obvious signs of local dimming, colors were vibrant, no blurring, etc. It's also more than bright enough for daytime viewing with minimal glare. I even had to turn down the brightness at night time.

Side viewing angles are pretty darn good. If you want to get picky, the magenta test pattern does indicate a slight red tint when viewing off angle. In my case, that's standing about 8 ft back, and moving to the sides at least 4-5 ft off center. However, when watching "normal" content at this distance, there was no obvious change in picture quality or tint. When sitting off center at my desk, 4 ft away, you will notice the image start to dim a bit. That's expected and perfectly acceptable for me.

Overall image uniformity is equally impressive and one of the best I've seen, if not quite "perfect." Displaying bright solid color test patterns on the TV, in a dark room, does reveal some spots that are ever so slightly darker (or brighter depending on the pattern) than the rest. We're talking about getting overly critical here folks. This isn't even something I can notice with normal viewing, but I'm throwing it out there regardless.

OTA TV (720p / 1080i @ 60hz):

We'll start with OTA (Over-The-Air) HDTV first. This basically involved a Coax cable connected directly to the TV via an HD Antenna and allowing the internal TV tuner do the work. Keep in mind that OTA will vary depending on the channel, but they are normally either 720p or 1080i. And this is also where I ran into my first issues.

At this time I'm not able to turn off Noise Reduction in the menu. This is available with most TV's and is meant to help clean up lower quality signals (i.e. non-HD content). I can toggle it off and to other levels, but when I go back into the menu, it turns itself back to Medium. This doesn't happen with HDMI inputs.

Unfortunately this has a noticeably negative effect on picture quality. At it's worst it has a very pixelated and almost ghosting effect to the image, especially skin-tones. In addition, I'm seeing A/V sync issues, where the audio isn't quite in sync with the video. I suspect the two are related.

I've already updated the Firmware, but didn't have any effect. I'm waiting to hear back from Seiki technical support and will update as needed (see update at bottom).

MEDIA CENTER & BLU-RAY (PC/1080p @ 60Hz):

I have a dedicated Media Center PC that I normally use for OTA TV, Blu-Ray, and playing hundreds of TV Shows and Movies from various local and internet sources. I've "digitized" most of my DVD/Blu-ray library in high quality 1080p. Unfortunately the older Nvidia GT430 video card in this system isn't capable of outputting to 4K, so we're limited to 1080p.

Which is just fine as I've found everything here to look excellent. And I wanted to test a good "Normal HD" source since that's what most are going to be using right now anyways. It's only when you sit close to the TV (around 4-5 ft) that you start to notice some minor pixelation from the TV up-scaling lower res content. Also, since the TV Tuner in the PC has the liberty of going through HDMI, I don't have Noise Reduction to contend with! Blu-Ray movies are playing with PowerDVD 12 and they also look excellent. I've been watching stuff on here non-stop as I evaluate the TV and adjust settings.

So far, so good. Everything look comparably crisp and clear compared to my Toshiba at normal viewing distances. Even though the colors on the Seiki are definitively a bit more vibrant.

PC MONITOR (4K @ 30hz):

At this resolution, who wouldn't want to at least consider the idea of using the TV as a PC monitor? For this task I have to move to my main gaming rig (more on that below) as the Nvidia GTX 680 graphics card has HDMI 1.4 and can actually output a resolution of 3840x2160, albeit at 30 Hz. I've also had to bypass my Onkyo receiver as it doesn't have 4K pass-through. This is something to keep in mind because if your source is connected to the receiver before the TV, it's not going to be aware that you have a 4K TV connected at the other end.

As you've probably already read, one of the biggest complaints folks have is the limitation of the current (and latest) HDMI 1.4 spec being used with video cards, in that this is as good as it gets. No 60 or 120 Hz at any 4K resolution until you jump back down to 1080p or lower.

However, if you just want to use this as a normal PC Monitor, surf the web, or just multi-task like crazy, there are no issues with the lower refresh rate. The scaling is perfect at it's default settings and everything is very crisp & clear. Just don't expect to read anything from the couch unless you increase the DPI scaling and/or font/text size within your OS. The text is quite small!

There is a very slight amount input/refresh lag with the mouse. It's minor, and probably won't bother you with basic apps on the desktop, but still noticeable to my sensitive gaming self.

Since the PC is the only true 4K source I have in the house, I fired up several 4K videos from YouTube as well some nice looking 4K images I have. Put simply, they looked excellent. However, depending on the videos, some did have choppiness due to only being 30 Hz, while others seemingly ran perfectly smooth. I suspect this will be one of the biggest complaints when relying on your PC for 4K goodness.

GAMING (4K @ 30 Hz):

I'm using a 20' HDMI 1.4 cable to connect my nearby gaming PC directly to the TV. There is no "game mode" on the TV, so what you see is what you get. And that is basically 4K resolution at 30 FPS (Frames Per Second). Most PC gamers are used to being much closer 60 FPS as it does result in smoother game-play.

Console gamers or perhaps less hard-core PC gamers who are probably either used to the 30 Hz they've been playing with on the TV for years may simply not notice and/or care. For my test I fired up Battlefield 3 and Starcraft II, set them to the max resolution, turned on vertical sync, and lowered the details enough to ensure a consistent frame rate. That was usually around low to medium settings, by the way.

Vertical sync will keep the frames capped at the max the display can handle, which in this case is of course 30 FPS. In addition to preventing screen tearing, this limits widely varying frame rates which can also result in a more negatively perceived gaming experience. Being an RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game, SC2 is actually playable, although input lag was more noticeable here than at the desktop. In BF3, being the FPS (First Person Shooter) that it is, was a bit worse; basically unplayable for me.

While the graphics looked awesome on this TV, I won't be playing any serious games at this resolution. 60 Hz would definitely improve the overall experience, but that won't help input/refresh lag on it's own, and may not even be available for PC's until future revisions of DisplayPort (which the TV doesn't have).

GAMING (1080p @ 120 Hz):

At first I didn't bother with this as the input lag noted above was an issue. However, it would appear after the recent Firmware update I applied, it has drastically improved input lag and delay at 1080p. Unfortunately there was no change at 4K resolution. After selecting "Customize..." within the NVIDIA Control Panel (under Resolution) I was able to select 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, Progressive.

This simple change from 60 to 120 Hz is even noticeable at the desktop where text is suddenly much sharper and clearer. I could actually use this as a gaming monitor sitting perhaps 3 ft away. Of course this isn't anywhere near the crispness of 4K due to scaling, as some smaller text is still blurry this close; but not bad. So I tried out SC2 and BF3 again and they are indeed very playable, running right up there at 120 FPS. The Nvidia GTX 680 has no problem keeping up. Although to maintain 100+ FPS, I have had to bump down the resolution on games just a bit from their maxed out settings.

TV MENU & 120 Hz:

Before I get into calibration, I should first mention that there are very few settings to adjust on this TV. What I list below is all you get for HDMI picture quality adjustment. Also note that you can't adjust any of the preset modes (Movie, Normal, & Dynamic). Once you make a change, you're into the 4th "User" Picture Mode. Each input also has it's own memory for settings.

In fact, the menu in general is very basic. You've got Picture, Audio, Time, Setup, Lock, and Channel settings. In each menu, there are only a couple of settings. And none of these let you control 120 Hz or enable some form of "motion smoothing," as it's often called (and often assumed to be present with 120 Hz TV's). It's just something the TV does automatically in certain display modes, such as when it's requested by the source.

When watching movies, I'm rather sensitive to 120 Hz (or higher) motion smoothing as I often find this feature quite bothersome and always turn it off. I find it kills the cinematic feel of the film. Just person preference of course. The good news is that in my testing I really haven't seen it's effects anywhere.

The menu also annoyingly goes away if you don't push a button after about 10 seconds. I don't expect a lot for a non-smart TV, but a bit more adjustments would be nice. Although it's still a relatively minor issue as I was able to get a nice picture with it's limited menu.

CALIBRATION:

This is a combination of adjusting on the fly and a bit of help from the Disney World of Wonder calibration disc. Which I should add, is a must-have for HD TV's. Since some of this is indeed personal preference, you may just want to use this as a starting point and go from there. Also see "Menu" section above regarding lack of options.

*** Note: If there's one setting you do adjust, make sure you turn off Noise Reduction. I noted this previously, but feel it deserves mention again. It has such a negative effect on HD picture quality I can easily see why somebody would want to return the TV if they didn't check that menu setting. ***

Disclaimer: I'm not an "A/V expert" by any means and I'm still playing with these few settings. Although these are so basic, it's hard to mess it up. :)

Picture Settings:

Contrast: 61
Brightness: 46
Color: 48
Tint: Can't adjust with HDMI
Sharpness: 0
Color Temperature: Normal
Noise Reduction:Off (In Setup Menu)
DLC (Dynamic Luminance Control): Off

Advanced: Can't use, only for VGA input

SOUND & REMOTE:

There really isn't a nice way to put this, but the built-in "speakers" are pretty bad - even for a flat panel TV. They are down-firing speakers and are located on the bottom of the TV. They have a very "tiny" and weak sound to them. Changing the mode from Stereo to Surround helps as it at least gives the impression the sound is coming from the front, versus somewhere on the sides. Quite unusual. Although in my case, I'll be running to a surround sound system, so I won't bash them too much.

The remote is very basic and almost as bad the speakers. Which may be partially due to the IR receiver on the TV, which is located right next to the LED bar on the front. It has all of the right buttons, but it's not universal, and is very picky as to how you're pointing it at the TV. Just the wrong angle or not directly at the IR sensor, and it'll ignore your input. Or it will register additional button pushes 1-2 seconds after you've stopped pressing them.

One nice feature is a Picture Mode toggle button. So it's got that going for it. I'll have to keep that in mind as I program my Harmony Remote to take over. :)

PROS:

+ Thin design
+ Great value for a 4K TV
+ Contrast ratio
+ Vibrant colors and accuracy
+ Viewing angles
+ Picture quality
+ LED Backlit
+ 1080p Gaming @ 120 Hz
+ Good scaling of "Normal HD" content to 4k
+ Ultra HD 4K Resolution!
+ 3 HDMI Inputs

CONS:

- OTA TV Issues (Noise Reduction & A/V Sync)
- Limited Menu Options (i.e. Picture Adjustments)
- Can't adjust 120 Hz setting
- HDMI 1.4 limited to 30 Hz @ 4k.
- Input/Refresh Lag @ 4K/30Hz
- Cheap Remote
- Low quality speakers
- No DisplayPort Input
- No Optical Out (It does have Coaxial for S/PDIF)
- Wobbly Stand

CONCLUSION:

Well, this review ended up being way longer than expected. But hopefully I was able to give you enough organized information so you can find what you're looking for out of this TV. At least from my personal experiences and opinions. The big question is probably whether or not you should even buy a 4K TV right now with such limited content available.

I think if you're in the market for a new TV and you can find one in your budget, there's no harm in going a little future proof. And with 4K I think it's safe to say you're good for the next couple years. :) And just remember, new 4K hardware and content is already rolling out.

At this time, I'm going to give this 4.5 stars with a reserved recommendation depending on what you're expectations are for this TV. And of course, pending feedback from Seiki with regards to the OTA TV issues. That's mostly based on the pure "4K TV value factor" going on here. The TV Tuner is not something I'm personally going to use, and most of the negatives aren't relevant to my needs; but do want to follow up for those interested. I'll be updating the review as I get more info.

Feel free to comment with any questions and I'll respond as soon as I can. Thanks!

*** UPDATE 7/02/13: ***

I spoke with a Seiki Technician regarding not being able to disable the Noise Reduction feature with OTA TV. Apparently, that's "working as designed." I explained the negative effect it has on the picture, but it doesn't look like there is anything they can do about it as they believe it should be on. Perhaps if enough folks complain they'll "fix" that menu option and even keep it Off by default for all inputs.

I've also decided to use this TV as my main PC monitor (via HDMI 1.4a). It's been a few days since I made room for this huge "monitor" on my desk and it's been pretty darn awesome. I just run at 4K/30 Hz for desktop tasks and then switch over to 1080p/120Hz for Gaming. So far the only issue I've had is when Windows turned off the display (i.e. power management), it would intermittently cause the TV to go into it's power-off state (red LED) and not respond until I pulled the power cable.

Disabling this feature in the OS has so far resolved that issue. Going in and out of stand-by or hibernate hasn't caused any issues. The technician did suggest removing power for 3 hours to allow everything to fully reset, should issues persist. Otherwise everything is working well.

*** UPDATE 2/21/14: ***

I just wanted to hopefully have a final update to address a few FAQ's in the comments. First, the TV is still working great as a PC monitor/TV. The input/refresh lag is something you just either get used to, or not. I personally wont use it for games @ 4K. But as a large 4K desktop monitor or gaming @ 1080p/120hz, it's still impressive even months later. It's actually hard going back to a "normal" size monitor.

The other most common question is whether or not this TV will get an upgrade to HDMI 2.0, which supports 4K @ 60Hz. Unfortunately, at this time I haven't heard anything from Seiki regarding the possibility of a Firmware update, or if it's something the TV is even capable of handling. They still haven't released a firmware to address the previous issues I noted in the review, and that was back in May 2013. So it's likely this will be something made available with future models. Some more expensive brands, such as Sony, can be upgraded. But we're at a much lower price point here.

Also keep in mind that even if you have a TV that supports HDMI 2.0, the source, and cable must also support the same HDMI spec (or newer). Otherwise you may run into issues. My suggestion is to simply buy it for what it is right now. Which is, as the title says, a great value for a 4K TV. Enjoy! :)
1,752 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on August 28, 2014
Update: 2/8/2016 ~ 3.5 years later:TV still works great and on pace to outlive the 4 year warranty.

** UPDATED **

I originally purchased the Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch UHD-TV Used in "Very Good" condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals, but after the screen shutoff after an hour of use I had it returned (for free). You can find the problems/review on the first TV at the bottom of this review.

Below is the review on the NEW Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch UHD-TV, purchased from Amazon.

Just a little background on me: I am a photojournalist and editor for an NBC station. I am also very tech savvy. I know how to make the best out of cheap electronics. I almost always go with the cheaper, no-name brand electronics since I work with the expensive toys all day long at work. There really is no difference as long as there isn't a manufacturer's defect out of the box.

############ Long story short ############
Don't waste time saving $30 by getting the used TV, just wait for Amazon to get them in stock and get a new one. Also, GET an extended warranty. The 1 year manufacturer's warranty requires you to ship it to them at YOUR cost, so it's worth the extra few bucks. Should be a no-brainer: $200 shipping vs a $50, 4 year warranty that includes in-home repair.

Plan on the crappy internal speakers and hook this bad boy up to a good sound system.

This TV really is a steal. It performs to my broadcast standards.

+++ Picture and video quality +++
+ The picture was much better than expected. So many other reviewers complained of poor picture quality, but this is the same as watching a VHS tape on a 50" 1080 HDTV. If the display is higher resolution than the media, it will look a little blurry (if you're sitting less than a foot away), but from 10 feet across the room and it is perfectly comparable to my previous HDTV.

+ I have a Chromecast, DVD player and VCR connected to this TV.
++ The Chromecast looks great with HD video from Netflix even from only a few feet away. I changed the "Noise Reduction" setting to off for this input as it looks better without it. I am using one of the USB ports to power my Chromecast. This allows the Chromecast to power on and off with the TV.
++ DVD's look good (better from across the room). I also changed the "Noise Reduction" setting to off for this input as it looks better without it.
++ VHS tapes look decent from across the room. I changed the "Noise Reduction" setting to medium for only the SD inputs as the picture quality was actually improved.

+ I DID calibrate this TV with a color bar generator, but didn't have to adjust much. Just the contrast.

+ I found that there is not a setting for the screen backlight or color temperature in the normal menu, but I did find a separate "hidden" menu (also used for updating the firmware) and found those settings under the "Other" category. To get to this "hidden" menu, open the menu and press "0000" on the remote and the "hidden" menu will appear. Then go to the last option labeled "other" and select it and you will find all of the video and audio adjustments you could ever want.

+++ Sound +++
I didn't really bother with the speakers (although I did test them) as with pretty much any off-brand TV the speakers WILL suck. The internal speakers sounded a rather tiny or hollow without playing with the audio settings. I did play with the adjustments and I was able to improve the sound slightly, but not to my satisfaction, so I just hooked up my sound system to the "audio out" on the TV and it worked great.

+++ Connections/inputs/outputs +++
+ (3) HDMI inputs: one accessible from the left side, 2 down facing on the back. These can be difficult to get to and connect to. There isn't too much room for the connector. My Chromecast was barely able to connect to the side input because it was touching the back of the TV. It can't be plugged into the other HDMI ports because there isn't enough room.
+ (1) Composite/Component combined RCA input: Accessible from the side. Composite = RGB colored video inputs + RL audio, Component = Yellow for video + RL audio. The green input is shared on this TV with the yellow RCA input, so you really only have the use of one or the other. Both work flawlessly. Composite supports up to 1080p and Component supports up to 480i.
+ (2) USB inputs with 5v power output: One accessible from the side, one down facing on the back. They can be used to plug in a USB flash drive with pictures to view them in a slideshow. I am using one of them to power my Chromecast. This allows the Chromecast to power on and off with the TV. Neither support video or audio playback.
+ (1) Coaxial input: Down facing on the back. This is for an over-the-air antenna to receive free HD TV from local TV stations.
+ (1) Digital audio out: Down facing on the back. This is the RCA type single coaxial digital audio output. I am not able to test because I don't have any equipment to connect to it.
+ (1) Stereo audio out: Down facing on the back. Just the usual right and left RCA output. This works great for my sound system.
9 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 22, 2014
I bought the 39" version of this product and I'm using it to replace 2x27" monitors. It's like having 4x27" monitors. Crystal clear. I could find no dead pixels.

Do not use for gaming as the 30hz refresh rate will kill you. You will even notice this limitation with a fast moving mouse cursor.

I can have a full screen web browser, Photoshop, and MS Word all open and still have tons of screen real estate. It so much it was disorienting at first.

The thing is MUCH heavier than a normal LCD television of similar size. I don't know why its so heavy, must be the technology inside. The weight was significant enough to make me choose not to wall mount it.

Because its a TV it will have some quirks when used as a monitor. The screen may time out and turn off on you. I've had to shut down my PC cometely and turn it back on a few times to get the monitor to recognize the computers video input after it turned off.

The build quality is acceptable for the price, the bezel around the screen is not uniform but its hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Not for everyone, but a good purchase for me.
6 people found this helpful
on July 18, 2014
I am a software developer for over 20 years and was using a 27" Samsung PC monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution with my company provided laptop at home. Always wish to have a bigger monitor at higher resolution but the prices were way too steep. Then I ran into this Seiki 4K TV on Amazon. I couldn't believe the prices which are a fraction of the name brands even thought I never heard of Seiki before. The 50" is actually cheaper than the regular HD TV at local stores. I was tempted very much.

My company just upgraded my PC to a HP EliteBook few months ago, so I hope this newer PC with Windows 7 Professional can drive a 4K monitor. I see the display adapter of this laptop listed in device manager is In Intel HD Graphics 4600, so did some research to find it is supposed to support 4K according to Intel. And I see the video connector on this laptop says DP++, so more research to find that I need a passive adapter to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI used by 4K TV. So seems like I can get 4K for this PC to work. I was very excited.

Read a lot of reviews about this Seiki 4K TV on Amazon of course. Decided the refresh rate at 30 Hz is fine for coding and other computer needs. If I wait for 60 Hz it will be a long while and much more expensive. I doubt 60 Hz prices will drop to this level any time soon as it will probably take years.

Decided to get a 50" model instead of 39" as I am in my late 40's so my vision is getting worse every year. Price difference between the two sizes is only $100 at this time so easy decision for me. I can use this 50" as a TV if the computer route doesn't work out too.

Received the TV 3 business days after ordering. Set it up using the included HDMI cable and the DisplayPort to HDMI passive adapter also bought from Amazon. At first I see resolution of 1600 x 1200. I used right mouse button on Windows 7 desktop and see there is a Graphics Options with Intel sign, then Output To, so tried Digital Television. All of a sudden the screen resolution changed to 3840 x 2160! It's really a sight to behold the first time you see 4K as a computer monitor. All icons are so small now and there are so much real estate. I was in heaven.

50 inch as a computer monitor is almost too big, as the corners seem far away. This is where a curved monitor can be helpful which I never thought needed before. I don't think TV really needs curve as you are usually far away, but a big PC monitor at much closer distance can certainly use it. I think if I went for 39" the texts will be too small at 4K. I am still using the text size default of 100% in Windows Display, as I want to see more code. If I got a 39" I would need to go up to at least 125%. No regrets for the 50".

The quality of the back plastic on this Seiki TV is a little lower than the name brand, but no complains at a fraction of the costs of the name brand. Hope this TV works for a long time.

I changed the following settings on the TV menu: Contrast 60, Brightness 0, Sharpness 0, Color Temp. warm, Sound Mode music, Surround Sound on, Noise Reduction off. All others were still at default.

I was helped by all the reviews so hope my experience helps others.
5 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2014
Worth the money. Will be buying the HDMI 2.0 version when it comes out.

For those who are looking for color corrected values for PC/Computer use, try these:

Final Settings: Contrast: 49, Brightness: 46, Colour: 37, Sharpness: 0, Backlight: 55, Standard
Advanced Menu Settings: Red Gain: 110, Green Gain: 110, Blue Gain: 110 (higher settings means brighter screen)
Red Offset: 530, Green Offset: 530, Blue Offset: 530 (higher settings means darker areas are lighter)

Do not change the advanced menu settings if you can help it as you can mess up default color settings. But to access the advanced menu it is Menu + 0000. Again this is as a LAST RESORT. The red gain, offset, green, blue, etc (above values is close to the "Warm" preset. So technically going to "Warm" you won't have to mess with red, green, blue, etc settings. Altho the backlight value is something that you can easily change and you absolutely have to if you're using this as a monitor, as it is TOO BRIGHT.

**********************
EDIT: 07/15/2014
If you ever mess up your settings you can upgrade the firmware and you will get everything back. By the way you can upgrade the firmware from the service menu but also you can unplug the power and plug the USB stick then plug the power in while holding down the MENU button on the TV itself for atleast 5-10 seconds. It does not do it unless you hold the MENU button (which Seiki DOES NOT mention on their website upgrade instructions....).
on April 21, 2014
Dont believe all the crap out there. This tv is awesome and a steal for the price.
I have directv cable service and its perfect with this tv. Don't know what all the
calibration issues and the green display complaints are all about, I just plugged it in
and started watching all my favorite sports in ultra high definition. If your into brand
name stuff or are a tech snob then by all means spend 2-5x what u would for a
comparable tv, but if your like me and want the most bang for your buck and are in
the market for a nice tv at a reasonable price then go ahead and pull that trigger.
I also got the cheap soundbar it's not the loudest but cant complain about the price.
It also compliments the tv very well.
7 people found this helpful
on February 11, 2014
This is a fantastic bare-bones S-MVA LCD panel which does exactly what it sets out to do - get 2160p capable displays into consumers' living rooms and home workstations for under $1000. There are no fancy bells or whistles here, but rather a mid-to-high quality LCD panel with a ridiculous number of pixels, a native 120Hz refresh rate and a ~6ms response time. For something which is advertised as a television, it sure does a fantastic impression of a high-end computer monitor as well.

This is exactly how I use this set: connected to my HTPC/gaming rig in the living. The versatility of this monitor makes it well suited for this purpose, as it can be switched seamlessly between 1080p, 1440p and 2160p (or basically anything else) on the fly, depending on what your needs are for the moment. The panel is not picky - if a display format fits inside HDMI 1.4, this monitor will display it like a champ, and the 50" version is the perfect size for someone wanting to play video games from the sofa while sitting 2-3m away.

In 1080p and 2160p, the panel looks fantastic once you get it calibrated. This is not a quick process, and the monitor will not look great out of the box (as others have mentioned) - it took me about a week of trial and error to get it perfect. Some have commented that the picture will either look over-saturated, or lose black detail, and I had the same experience at first, but with a little bit of patience and some calibration utilities, I think the result is fantastic. Colors are vivid, whites are crisp, and blacks are properly detailed after adjusting both the menu options and the global color settings for my video card. The amount of dynamic range you can squeeze out of this panel is actually pretty impressive, especially when driven at 1080p or 2160p. At non-integer multiples of the native resolution, color distortion becomes noticeable.

One of the best things about this monitor is that the LCD panel itself is driven at a native 120Hz. This is something that is basically only found on expensive computer monitors and rarely on television sets. For gaming where there is a lot of fast action, 120 fps cannot be beat. For those who prefer a higher resolution, the monitor will run 1440p at about 80Hz, which still provides a fantastically smooth gaming experience. If RTS games are your thing (or you don't care about playing games at 30Hz), then glorious 2160p gives you all the screen area you can handle at once. On my HTPC, I also have SVP set up to provide motion interpolation for television broadcasts - Football and Hockey at 120Hz looks great, and there is minimal motion blur.

There are only a few cons about this monitor:
- Slight backlight bleeding around the edges. Not unusual for a 50" display, and it is not noticeable at all unless the screen is completely black.
- HDMI limitations. The panel itself could be driven 2160p 120Hz if the interface supported it.
- Limited menu options.
on September 5, 2013
I have many high resolution monitor TVs, Dell, ASUS and HP. The overall performance of this one beats them all hands down. The resolution and color is both excellent. I have brilliant color and perfect contrast. The dark is extreme dark. It plays all my photo collection to 4K resolution. My beautiful models all in vibrant color and 4k resolution as if in 3D and come to live on this TV screen. Makes all my photo worth watching again. I will now buy another one for my wife.

It is easy to set up and use. For such a good TV it could have used a higher quality remote. I would definitely give 5 stars or even higher for its excellent performance except the technical support is some what lacking. They are always busy and slow at getting back.

Update 9/10.2013

To make sure this monitor plays 4K right, you will have to update the firmware to the latest version. Unfortunately when you download the firmware from Seiki.com website the instruction on the website does not do it. The proper wave to do it is,

1) Download the firmware to a clean USB thumb drive, meaning the thumb drive has no other file.
2) Before download convert the file to microsoft format by extrating the file to a new file. Without the conversion theTV will not see the file.
3) After inserting the thumb drive into TV USB port, press manu buttom followed by four zeros. This will bring up a window on the screen to prompt you to click upgrade firmware.
4) Be patient and wait for couple minute for the TV to complete upload. When it is done it will show complete. Exit manu. Turn off TV and unplug the thumb drive. You are home. It is simple.
5) My TV now plays all 4K program from my OPPO 103 and tells me it is in 3640X2160 resolution by showing the info on top right corner whenever you press the info button on the remote. It also brings all my photos to 4K resolution and brilliant color. It is great!

Update 9/10/2013

I am now watching all my low grade dvd and photos on the Seiki 4K monitor by upscaling to 4K through my Oppo 103. The improvements are amazing. I now get great satisfaction watching my favorite photos and dvds again and found more vibrant colors and resolution. I am upgrading my evaluation to five stars now because of the better use of this TV despite the slow tech support response. Since I have no more problems with this TV. Great buy, highly recommend.
16 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on July 10, 2014
This TV has exceeded my expectations! First of all it arrived very well-packaged. You can find my exhaustive review, Seiki firmware update, Seiki remote setup and more here http://goo.gl/4sq5MP . I loved how this TV came with an HDMI cable and batteries for the remote too! The base was easy to attach and looks really nice! This TV is also wall-mountable. The picture quality for TV is great! My Xbox One games also look really nice. I connected my Mac computer to it with a thunderbolt to HDMI cable and the picture quality is amazing! It looks like an enormous computer monitor and the text is easily readable. The Seiki firmware update was a little trick at first but simple after i figured it out. This TV is much more energy efficient than plasma TVs and doesn't produce a noticeable amount of heat. Those were my two biggest complaints with my old plasma TV. I'd definitely buy this TV again, if I had the need for another. The performance is incredible for such a great price!
|44 comments|Report abuse
on September 5, 2014
So far , so good. The Seiki does need some minor tweeks here and there, but for the money, it is a fantastic tv. As a management student, I hope Seiki resolves its internal issues with quality and customer service, these two issues have been the biggest destroyers of emerging businesses.

The tv looks very nice, it doesn't look like a cheap tv at all. Only complaint is the sound is really poor and video adjustment options are very minimal unless you find the advanced menu by pressing the menu button and 0000. I don't know what most of that stuff does, but I found at least a way to undo the overscan with makes everything looking blown up on the screen. Huge mistake I made was doing the firmware update, which in fact is not an upgrade but a downgrade. If you have Software version 1.1 DO NOT do the firmware update.

Everything is looking awesome on Xbox One. In fact, you can use the Xbox One to calibrate your display. A word of advice, you can press Menu button followed by 0000, then go to "other" option and scroll down to the overscan option. Using The Xbox One you can increase the H Ratio and V ratio to 100 so you are able to see the green and blue boxes compress the screen so you don't get a blown up picture, but a sharp image instead on your Xbox One. Do this very slowly, one digit, at a time as the screen will go dark and reset itself back to the Xbox One calibration until you reach 100 on both. DO NOT mess with the other settings, just the first two at the top. If you accidentally go to fast and the screen goes haywire, just do a factory reset on the advanced menu. Do this at your own risk.

MOVIES TO TEST
Avatar, Avatar, AVATAR! Prometheus, Skyfall, Pacific Rim, Star Trek and any Transformer movie is best to show off your new tv. I have not had any issues with my tv. For the price it is surprisingly of decent quality. I could care less for a smart tv, that's why God created the Xbox One as my entertainment hub. I ran a few 4K tests using my high end gaming ASUS pc and the results are STUNNING to say the least. I highly recommend this tv, if you're expecting the quality of a $3000-5000 tv get that if you want to, but if you just want a decent monitor than look no further, I am not disappointed. I actually set the bar low like it's price point. Glad I was wrong.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.