Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Seiki 4K TV's are relatively new and have recently made some headlines with being one of the first manufacturers to build a 4K TV for a fraction of the price of the competition. There are many questions that I have such as what, if any, sacrifices were made to get such a low price, how does it work as a PC monitor, gaming possibilities, blu-ray, low-def content, etc. So let's jump in and see how it does!

DESIGN & INPUTS:

First thing to note is how the TV is being used. It's in a medium sized Media/Game room that measures about 14' x 13', give or take a few inches. There are 2 windows with blackout curtains. And I'm normally sitting anywhere from 4 ft (at my desk) to 11 ft (couch) away. This room has a couple of computers, so it's used as an office / game & media room (aka "man cave").

The TV is only about 2" deep and has thin ¾" border around the screen. However, there is a larger "base" at the bottom where the included stand mounts. This protrudes towards the back another 1". It also only weighs about 50lbs.

The TV is currently sitting on a mobile TV cart with it's included stand so I can roll it around as I compare it to my Toshiba 50L2200U 50-Inch 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV that is mounted on the wall. I wanted time to review before making a commitment to replace the already pretty darn awesome Toshiba. :) It's only about a foot lower and is using the same sources. The stand is a bit wobbly if you bump it, but I shouldn't need it for long.

There is also a 2" wide LED "bar" on the front of the TV that changes from blue (on) to red (off). Even though it's larger than necessary and can't be turned off, it's dim enough so I never even notice it when I'm watching TV, even at night. The buttons are on the right side towards the outer edge, facing back. If you mount on a wall, you'll need to feel around for the buttons if you can't find the remote.

You can check out the specs to see what inputs it has. The main inputs I'm focusing on are the 2 downward facing HDMI inputs and 1 side HDMI input. It lacks Optical Out, but does have Coaxial Out (RCA type of cable for S/PDIF). Just a note as some may want to have a way to route high quality audio to an external source. In particular, if you don't have a 4K compatible receiver (more on that later). Otherwise it has all of the other inputs and outputs most folks are looking for.

PICTURE QUALITY:

So how does it look? After its calibrated, most content looks excellent. As with most TV's the default profiles leave much to be desired. My sources are OTA (Over-The-Air) HDTV, Blu-Ray, DVD, a Media Center PC, and a gaming PC. I don't currently have cable or satellite. There have been some mixed results though.

As with all high resolution displays, lower res content will suffer a bit without up-conversion. This is exaggerated even more when you are up-scaling from "normal HD" (720/1080p) up to Ultra HD (4K2K or 3840x2160). As with virtually all high def TV's this is already done for you, on some level. Although the quality of that will most certainly vary depending on the TV (or external scaler) involved and source material. There are considerably more pixels that have to be filled in on a 4K TV so the quality can vary.

I'm going to have separate sections for the various sources as there was quite a bit to cover. So I'm focusing on overall picture quality of the TV itself. And well, overall, it looks very nice; once calibrated of course (see section below). This is very important. Out of the box this TV had one of the worse picture quality I've seen in quite a while, almost entirely due to Noise Reduction being turned on by default for every input.

The TV does have local dimming where it tries to improve overall contrast ratio by limiting the back-light to only what needs light. You're really only going to notice this on a specific scenes where there isn't much content on the screen. Such as a small opening logo on the screen. It does a good job of limited this so it's not annoying. For example, the first fight scene in Star Wars III is a good test, as it's entirely filmed in space. Black levels looks great, no obvious signs of local dimming, colors were vibrant, no blurring, etc. It's also more than bright enough for daytime viewing with minimal glare. I even had to turn down the brightness at night time.

Side viewing angles are pretty darn good. If you want to get picky, the magenta test pattern does indicate a slight red tint when viewing off angle. In my case, that's standing about 8 ft back, and moving to the sides at least 4-5 ft off center. However, when watching "normal" content at this distance, there was no obvious change in picture quality or tint. When sitting off center at my desk, 4 ft away, you will notice the image start to dim a bit. That's expected and perfectly acceptable for me.

Overall image uniformity is equally impressive and one of the best I've seen, if not quite "perfect." Displaying bright solid color test patterns on the TV, in a dark room, does reveal some spots that are ever so slightly darker (or brighter depending on the pattern) than the rest. We're talking about getting overly critical here folks. This isn't even something I can notice with normal viewing, but I'm throwing it out there regardless.

OTA TV (720p / 1080i @ 60hz):

We'll start with OTA (Over-The-Air) HDTV first. This basically involved a Coax cable connected directly to the TV via an HD Antenna and allowing the internal TV tuner do the work. Keep in mind that OTA will vary depending on the channel, but they are normally either 720p or 1080i. And this is also where I ran into my first issues.

At this time I'm not able to turn off Noise Reduction in the menu. This is available with most TV's and is meant to help clean up lower quality signals (i.e. non-HD content). I can toggle it off and to other levels, but when I go back into the menu, it turns itself back to Medium. This doesn't happen with HDMI inputs.

Unfortunately this has a noticeably negative effect on picture quality. At it's worst it has a very pixelated and almost ghosting effect to the image, especially skin-tones. In addition, I'm seeing A/V sync issues, where the audio isn't quite in sync with the video. I suspect the two are related.

I've already updated the Firmware, but didn't have any effect. I'm waiting to hear back from Seiki technical support and will update as needed (see update at bottom).

MEDIA CENTER & BLU-RAY (PC/1080p @ 60Hz):

I have a dedicated Media Center PC that I normally use for OTA TV, Blu-Ray, and playing hundreds of TV Shows and Movies from various local and internet sources. I've "digitized" most of my DVD/Blu-ray library in high quality 1080p. Unfortunately the older Nvidia GT430 video card in this system isn't capable of outputting to 4K, so we're limited to 1080p.

Which is just fine as I've found everything here to look excellent. And I wanted to test a good "Normal HD" source since that's what most are going to be using right now anyways. It's only when you sit close to the TV (around 4-5 ft) that you start to notice some minor pixelation from the TV up-scaling lower res content. Also, since the TV Tuner in the PC has the liberty of going through HDMI, I don't have Noise Reduction to contend with! Blu-Ray movies are playing with PowerDVD 12 and they also look excellent. I've been watching stuff on here non-stop as I evaluate the TV and adjust settings.

So far, so good. Everything look comparably crisp and clear compared to my Toshiba at normal viewing distances. Even though the colors on the Seiki are definitively a bit more vibrant.

PC MONITOR (4K @ 30hz):

At this resolution, who wouldn't want to at least consider the idea of using the TV as a PC monitor? For this task I have to move to my main gaming rig (more on that below) as the Nvidia GTX 680 graphics card has HDMI 1.4 and can actually output a resolution of 3840x2160, albeit at 30 Hz. I've also had to bypass my Onkyo receiver as it doesn't have 4K pass-through. This is something to keep in mind because if your source is connected to the receiver before the TV, it's not going to be aware that you have a 4K TV connected at the other end.

As you've probably already read, one of the biggest complaints folks have is the limitation of the current (and latest) HDMI 1.4 spec being used with video cards, in that this is as good as it gets. No 60 or 120 Hz at any 4K resolution until you jump back down to 1080p or lower.

However, if you just want to use this as a normal PC Monitor, surf the web, or just multi-task like crazy, there are no issues with the lower refresh rate. The scaling is perfect at it's default settings and everything is very crisp & clear. Just don't expect to read anything from the couch unless you increase the DPI scaling and/or font/text size within your OS. The text is quite small!

There is a very slight amount input/refresh lag with the mouse. It's minor, and probably won't bother you with basic apps on the desktop, but still noticeable to my sensitive gaming self.

Since the PC is the only true 4K source I have in the house, I fired up several 4K videos from YouTube as well some nice looking 4K images I have. Put simply, they looked excellent. However, depending on the videos, some did have choppiness due to only being 30 Hz, while others seemingly ran perfectly smooth. I suspect this will be one of the biggest complaints when relying on your PC for 4K goodness.

GAMING (4K @ 30 Hz):

I'm using a 20' HDMI 1.4 cable to connect my nearby gaming PC directly to the TV. There is no "game mode" on the TV, so what you see is what you get. And that is basically 4K resolution at 30 FPS (Frames Per Second). Most PC gamers are used to being much closer 60 FPS as it does result in smoother game-play.

Console gamers or perhaps less hard-core PC gamers who are probably either used to the 30 Hz they've been playing with on the TV for years may simply not notice and/or care. For my test I fired up Battlefield 3 and Starcraft II, set them to the max resolution, turned on vertical sync, and lowered the details enough to ensure a consistent frame rate. That was usually around low to medium settings, by the way.

Vertical sync will keep the frames capped at the max the display can handle, which in this case is of course 30 FPS. In addition to preventing screen tearing, this limits widely varying frame rates which can also result in a more negatively perceived gaming experience. Being an RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game, SC2 is actually playable, although input lag was more noticeable here than at the desktop. In BF3, being the FPS (First Person Shooter) that it is, was a bit worse; basically unplayable for me.

While the graphics looked awesome on this TV, I won't be playing any serious games at this resolution. 60 Hz would definitely improve the overall experience, but that won't help input/refresh lag on it's own, and may not even be available for PC's until future revisions of DisplayPort (which the TV doesn't have).

GAMING (1080p @ 120 Hz):

At first I didn't bother with this as the input lag noted above was an issue. However, it would appear after the recent Firmware update I applied, it has drastically improved input lag and delay at 1080p. Unfortunately there was no change at 4K resolution. After selecting "Customize..." within the NVIDIA Control Panel (under Resolution) I was able to select 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, Progressive.

This simple change from 60 to 120 Hz is even noticeable at the desktop where text is suddenly much sharper and clearer. I could actually use this as a gaming monitor sitting perhaps 3 ft away. Of course this isn't anywhere near the crispness of 4K due to scaling, as some smaller text is still blurry this close; but not bad. So I tried out SC2 and BF3 again and they are indeed very playable, running right up there at 120 FPS. The Nvidia GTX 680 has no problem keeping up. Although to maintain 100+ FPS, I have had to bump down the resolution on games just a bit from their maxed out settings.

TV MENU & 120 Hz:

Before I get into calibration, I should first mention that there are very few settings to adjust on this TV. What I list below is all you get for HDMI picture quality adjustment. Also note that you can't adjust any of the preset modes (Movie, Normal, & Dynamic). Once you make a change, you're into the 4th "User" Picture Mode. Each input also has it's own memory for settings.

In fact, the menu in general is very basic. You've got Picture, Audio, Time, Setup, Lock, and Channel settings. In each menu, there are only a couple of settings. And none of these let you control 120 Hz or enable some form of "motion smoothing," as it's often called (and often assumed to be present with 120 Hz TV's). It's just something the TV does automatically in certain display modes, such as when it's requested by the source.

When watching movies, I'm rather sensitive to 120 Hz (or higher) motion smoothing as I often find this feature quite bothersome and always turn it off. I find it kills the cinematic feel of the film. Just person preference of course. The good news is that in my testing I really haven't seen it's effects anywhere.

The menu also annoyingly goes away if you don't push a button after about 10 seconds. I don't expect a lot for a non-smart TV, but a bit more adjustments would be nice. Although it's still a relatively minor issue as I was able to get a nice picture with it's limited menu.

CALIBRATION:

This is a combination of adjusting on the fly and a bit of help from the Disney World of Wonder calibration disc. Which I should add, is a must-have for HD TV's. Since some of this is indeed personal preference, you may just want to use this as a starting point and go from there. Also see "Menu" section above regarding lack of options.

*** Note: If there's one setting you do adjust, make sure you turn off Noise Reduction. I noted this previously, but feel it deserves mention again. It has such a negative effect on HD picture quality I can easily see why somebody would want to return the TV if they didn't check that menu setting. ***

Disclaimer: I'm not an "A/V expert" by any means and I'm still playing with these few settings. Although these are so basic, it's hard to mess it up. :)

Picture Settings:

Contrast: 61
Brightness: 46
Color: 48
Tint: Can't adjust with HDMI
Sharpness: 0
Color Temperature: Normal
Noise Reduction:Off (In Setup Menu)
DLC (Dynamic Luminance Control): Off

Advanced: Can't use, only for VGA input

SOUND & REMOTE:

There really isn't a nice way to put this, but the built-in "speakers" are pretty bad - even for a flat panel TV. They are down-firing speakers and are located on the bottom of the TV. They have a very "tiny" and weak sound to them. Changing the mode from Stereo to Surround helps as it at least gives the impression the sound is coming from the front, versus somewhere on the sides. Quite unusual. Although in my case, I'll be running to a surround sound system, so I won't bash them too much.

The remote is very basic and almost as bad the speakers. Which may be partially due to the IR receiver on the TV, which is located right next to the LED bar on the front. It has all of the right buttons, but it's not universal, and is very picky as to how you're pointing it at the TV. Just the wrong angle or not directly at the IR sensor, and it'll ignore your input. Or it will register additional button pushes 1-2 seconds after you've stopped pressing them.

One nice feature is a Picture Mode toggle button. So it's got that going for it. I'll have to keep that in mind as I program my Harmony Remote to take over. :)

PROS:

+ Thin design
+ Great value for a 4K TV
+ Contrast ratio
+ Vibrant colors and accuracy
+ Viewing angles
+ Picture quality
+ LED Backlit
+ 1080p Gaming @ 120 Hz
+ Good scaling of "Normal HD" content to 4k
+ Ultra HD 4K Resolution!
+ 3 HDMI Inputs

CONS:

- OTA TV Issues (Noise Reduction & A/V Sync)
- Limited Menu Options (i.e. Picture Adjustments)
- Can't adjust 120 Hz setting
- HDMI 1.4 limited to 30 Hz @ 4k.
- Input/Refresh Lag @ 4K/30Hz
- Cheap Remote
- Low quality speakers
- No DisplayPort Input
- No Optical Out (It does have Coaxial for S/PDIF)
- Wobbly Stand

CONCLUSION:

Well, this review ended up being way longer than expected. But hopefully I was able to give you enough organized information so you can find what you're looking for out of this TV. At least from my personal experiences and opinions. The big question is probably whether or not you should even buy a 4K TV right now with such limited content available.

I think if you're in the market for a new TV and you can find one in your budget, there's no harm in going a little future proof. And with 4K I think it's safe to say you're good for the next couple years. :) And just remember, new 4K hardware and content is already rolling out.

At this time, I'm going to give this 4.5 stars with a reserved recommendation depending on what you're expectations are for this TV. And of course, pending feedback from Seiki with regards to the OTA TV issues. That's mostly based on the pure "4K TV value factor" going on here. The TV Tuner is not something I'm personally going to use, and most of the negatives aren't relevant to my needs; but do want to follow up for those interested. I'll be updating the review as I get more info.

Feel free to comment with any questions and I'll respond as soon as I can. Thanks!

*** UPDATE 7/02/13: ***

I spoke with a Seiki Technician regarding not being able to disable the Noise Reduction feature with OTA TV. Apparently, that's "working as designed." I explained the negative effect it has on the picture, but it doesn't look like there is anything they can do about it as they believe it should be on. Perhaps if enough folks complain they'll "fix" that menu option and even keep it Off by default for all inputs.

I've also decided to use this TV as my main PC monitor (via HDMI 1.4a). It's been a few days since I made room for this huge "monitor" on my desk and it's been pretty darn awesome. I just run at 4K/30 Hz for desktop tasks and then switch over to 1080p/120Hz for Gaming. So far the only issue I've had is when Windows turned off the display (i.e. power management), it would intermittently cause the TV to go into it's power-off state (red LED) and not respond until I pulled the power cable.

Disabling this feature in the OS has so far resolved that issue. Going in and out of stand-by or hibernate hasn't caused any issues. The technician did suggest removing power for 3 hours to allow everything to fully reset, should issues persist. Otherwise everything is working well.

*** UPDATE 2/21/14: ***

I just wanted to hopefully have a final update to address a few FAQ's in the comments. First, the TV is still working great as a PC monitor/TV. The input/refresh lag is something you just either get used to, or not. I personally wont use it for games @ 4K. But as a large 4K desktop monitor or gaming @ 1080p/120hz, it's still impressive even months later. It's actually hard going back to a "normal" size monitor.

The other most common question is whether or not this TV will get an upgrade to HDMI 2.0, which supports 4K @ 60Hz. Unfortunately, at this time I haven't heard anything from Seiki regarding the possibility of a Firmware update, or if it's something the TV is even capable of handling. They still haven't released a firmware to address the previous issues I noted in the review, and that was back in May 2013. So it's likely this will be something made available with future models. Some more expensive brands, such as Sony, can be upgraded. But we're at a much lower price point here.

Also keep in mind that even if you have a TV that supports HDMI 2.0, the source, and cable must also support the same HDMI spec (or newer). Otherwise you may run into issues. My suggestion is to simply buy it for what it is right now. Which is, as the title says, a great value for a 4K TV. Enjoy! :)
1,751 helpful votes
1,752 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on April 21, 2014
Dont believe all the crap out there. This tv is awesome and a steal for the price.
I have directv cable service and its perfect with this tv. Don't know what all the
calibration issues and the green display complaints are all about, I just plugged it in
and started watching all my favorite sports in ultra high definition. If your into brand
name stuff or are a tech snob then by all means spend 2-5x what u would for a
comparable tv, but if your like me and want the most bang for your buck and are in
the market for a nice tv at a reasonable price then go ahead and pull that trigger.
I also got the cheap soundbar it's not the loudest but cant complain about the price.
It also compliments the tv very well.
8 helpful votes
on July 29, 2014
WARNING! DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE if TV is @ Version 1.1 or later. Seiki website has an outdated Ver.1.0 firmware for download. You could potentially downgrade your TV if not careful.

So far, this 4K TV has turned out to be a GREAT 4K Monitor. Here are my settings after calibration:

Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD 120Hz Edge-Lit LED S-MVA Panel
Color Calibrated using X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro

Main Menu

Picture

Picture Mode: User
Contrast: 40-(48) White Level (Highlights) 50 Max.
Brightness: (55)-60 Black Level (Shadow Detail) 60 Max.
Color: 40-(45)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0-10-(30)
DCC: Off
Color Temp: (Warm)-Normal
Blue Screen: Off

Setup
Noise Reduction: Off

Factory Menu (Press 0000)

Other Settings

Gain Blue: 136
Offset Red: 495
Offset Green: 511

Be careful with this:
Engineering Menu (Press 2947)

After applying these special settings this 4K UHD TV would be able to be used successfully for color correction in photography and video editing as a professional reference monitor. Hope this helps! ;)
23 helpful votes
24 helpful votes
1010 comments|Report abuse
on July 22, 2014
I bought the 39" version of this product and I'm using it to replace 2x27" monitors. It's like having 4x27" monitors. Crystal clear. I could find no dead pixels.

Do not use for gaming as the 30hz refresh rate will kill you. You will even notice this limitation with a fast moving mouse cursor.

I can have a full screen web browser, Photoshop, and MS Word all open and still have tons of screen real estate. It so much it was disorienting at first.

The thing is MUCH heavier than a normal LCD television of similar size. I don't know why its so heavy, must be the technology inside. The weight was significant enough to make me choose not to wall mount it.

Because its a TV it will have some quirks when used as a monitor. The screen may time out and turn off on you. I've had to shut down my PC cometely and turn it back on a few times to get the monitor to recognize the computers video input after it turned off.

The build quality is acceptable for the price, the bezel around the screen is not uniform but its hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Not for everyone, but a good purchase for me.
on July 8, 2014
I use this TV for mostly gaming and a little bit of movie watching. As people have stated before me, the speakers on this TV leave room for improvement, but with the $60 sound bar that i have had everything sounds great.

The visuals are nothing short of amazing. Connected to this I have a Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, and GameCube. All of the HD consoles(the first 4) look amazing. I was a little worried going in that the up-scaling would make the images look pixelated and blurry, but i couldn't have been more wrong. Before this I had played on both a 1080p 55" TV, and a 1080p 32" TV. Amazingly this TV delivers the sharpness of the 32" while keeping the detail of the 55". It really does look amazing.

The only cons of this are the speakers, the base is kind of wobbly (but once you put it somewhere you aren't going to move it so its not really a big deal), and the limited options you have in the menu. The menu is very basic and doesn't give you the options that many other, name brand, TVs give. Honestly those are my only complaints, and none of them have anything to do with how the TV looks.
on July 18, 2014
I am a software developer for over 20 years and was using a 27" Samsung PC monitor at 1920 x 1080 resolution with my company provided laptop at home. Always wish to have a bigger monitor at higher resolution but the prices were way too steep. Then I ran into this Seiki 4K TV on Amazon. I couldn't believe the prices which are a fraction of the name brands even thought I never heard of Seiki before. The 50" is actually cheaper than the regular HD TV at local stores. I was tempted very much.

My company just upgraded my PC to a HP EliteBook few months ago, so I hope this newer PC with Windows 7 Professional can drive a 4K monitor. I see the display adapter of this laptop listed in device manager is In Intel HD Graphics 4600, so did some research to find it is supposed to support 4K according to Intel. And I see the video connector on this laptop says DP++, so more research to find that I need a passive adapter to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI used by 4K TV. So seems like I can get 4K for this PC to work. I was very excited.

Read a lot of reviews about this Seiki 4K TV on Amazon of course. Decided the refresh rate at 30 Hz is fine for coding and other computer needs. If I wait for 60 Hz it will be a long while and much more expensive. I doubt 60 Hz prices will drop to this level any time soon as it will probably take years.

Decided to get a 50" model instead of 39" as I am in my late 40's so my vision is getting worse every year. Price difference between the two sizes is only $100 at this time so easy decision for me. I can use this 50" as a TV if the computer route doesn't work out too.

Received the TV 3 business days after ordering. Set it up using the included HDMI cable and the DisplayPort to HDMI passive adapter also bought from Amazon. At first I see resolution of 1600 x 1200. I used right mouse button on Windows 7 desktop and see there is a Graphics Options with Intel sign, then Output To, so tried Digital Television. All of a sudden the screen resolution changed to 3840 x 2160! It's really a sight to behold the first time you see 4K as a computer monitor. All icons are so small now and there are so much real estate. I was in heaven.

50 inch as a computer monitor is almost too big, as the corners seem far away. This is where a curved monitor can be helpful which I never thought needed before. I don't think TV really needs curve as you are usually far away, but a big PC monitor at much closer distance can certainly use it. I think if I went for 39" the texts will be too small at 4K. I am still using the text size default of 100% in Windows Display, as I want to see more code. If I got a 39" I would need to go up to at least 125%. No regrets for the 50".

The quality of the back plastic on this Seiki TV is a little lower than the name brand, but no complains at a fraction of the costs of the name brand. Hope this TV works for a long time.

I changed the following settings on the TV menu: Contrast 60, Brightness 0, Sharpness 0, Color Temp. warm, Sound Mode music, Surround Sound on, Noise Reduction off. All others were still at default.

I was helped by all the reviews so hope my experience helps others.
5 helpful votes
on September 5, 2013
I have many high resolution monitor TVs, Dell, ASUS and HP. The overall performance of this one beats them all hands down. The resolution and color is both excellent. I have brilliant color and perfect contrast. The dark is extreme dark. It plays all my photo collection to 4K resolution. My beautiful models all in vibrant color and 4k resolution as if in 3D and come to live on this TV screen. Makes all my photo worth watching again. I will now buy another one for my wife.

It is easy to set up and use. For such a good TV it could have used a higher quality remote. I would definitely give 5 stars or even higher for its excellent performance except the technical support is some what lacking. They are always busy and slow at getting back.

Update 9/10.2013

To make sure this monitor plays 4K right, you will have to update the firmware to the latest version. Unfortunately when you download the firmware from Seiki.com website the instruction on the website does not do it. The proper wave to do it is,

1) Download the firmware to a clean USB thumb drive, meaning the thumb drive has no other file.
2) Before download convert the file to microsoft format by extrating the file to a new file. Without the conversion theTV will not see the file.
3) After inserting the thumb drive into TV USB port, press manu buttom followed by four zeros. This will bring up a window on the screen to prompt you to click upgrade firmware.
4) Be patient and wait for couple minute for the TV to complete upload. When it is done it will show complete. Exit manu. Turn off TV and unplug the thumb drive. You are home. It is simple.
5) My TV now plays all 4K program from my OPPO 103 and tells me it is in 3640X2160 resolution by showing the info on top right corner whenever you press the info button on the remote. It also brings all my photos to 4K resolution and brilliant color. It is great!

Update 9/10/2013

I am now watching all my low grade dvd and photos on the Seiki 4K monitor by upscaling to 4K through my Oppo 103. The improvements are amazing. I now get great satisfaction watching my favorite photos and dvds again and found more vibrant colors and resolution. I am upgrading my evaluation to five stars now because of the better use of this TV despite the slow tech support response. Since I have no more problems with this TV. Great buy, highly recommend.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on March 11, 2014
The picture itself is fine. In fact, what 4K I have seen is stunning. Here's the thing though - the sound STINKS and at minimum volume is still really loud. It's like listening to Mozart on a transistor radio. Here's the strange thing - If you have Verizon Fios, don't expect to use your remote on this TV. No matter what key you press on the Fios remote, it will either raise of lower the volume. It's really the oddest thing. For instance, if you hit the FF key, it will FF the content that you're watching but it will raise the volume at the same time. I called tech support about this and while they know about the issue, they offer no work around to it.

As I mentioned the sound is shockingly bad on the TV, so I got a Zvox sound bar and it's a really good product but guess what? Those crummy speakers? You can't turn them off. So when I use the FIOS remote the TV is getting jealous and still messing with the TV volume even with the Zvox soundbar working perfectly. Seiki's solution? Plug something in to the headphone jack on the back to shut off the speakers. Unreal.

Edit:
I just wanted to share the email I got from Seiki customer service:

"1) Unfortunately, the FiOS remote is incompatible with Seiki TVs and changes settings inadvertently on the TV.
There is no fix for this.

2) You can disable the built in TV speakers by plugging in headphones into the jack on TV."

For the record, the headphone fix doesn't work. I plugged in 3.5mm headphones (my iPhone headphones) into the jack and the speakers didn't shut off nor did the headphones work.

Edit #2

Just got off the phone with Customer Support - The first guy was setting up an RMA for the item and put me on hold. I waited on hold for a half hour and he never came back.

Second guy said that the last firmware update broke the headphone fix and that they were working on another firmware update for it. There was no window on when it would be ready. He also said that rolling back the firmware wasn't suggested. When I said that they broke my TV, he suggested that I contact Amazon to bring it back.

Based on all this, I can't seriously recommend this TV to anyone. The company is a mess and can't support its own products.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on October 15, 2014
Not worth it.

1. The latency between channel changes. This was after I removed my AV Surround unit as being the possible issue as well.

2. Constant unplug/ plugin of the HDMI just for proper video feed from my AV tuner or xbox one (usually goes to blue screen saying unable to detect) is annoying to say the least. This was after I removed my AV Surround unit as being the possible issue as well.

3. Very limited (I mean this part!!) distance from the TV to use the remote that came with the TV.

4. Why does each and every channel have its own volume settings applied when I change channels? I mean, volume level 6 should stay volume level 6 when changing to any channel! Not 6 to 3 and then to 0 and back to 6! Really? And stop blaming my cable box as being the issue (technical support). Are you going to tell me all FiOS HD TV Box sets have this issue? This was after I removed my AV Surround unit as being the possible issue as well.

5. Video feed and tuning lag in xbox one games. Takes a couple off/on procedures with the TV to get it right, but it will finally sync up. Never had an issue with my Sony Bravia or Samsung... so who's fault is it? This was after I removed my AV Surround unit as being the possible issue as well.

6. Be careful with the mounting screw points! When removing the screws so I could return the TV, it caused the internal screw points to disconnect from the inside, so now I have screws that will never come out (spin and spin and spin). Thanks for the quality! I am not going to pay a TV repair man to remove the back part of the TV just so I can get them out. Pictures to follow on this one!

Moving back to Samsung TVs (regardless of cost) as I know what I am getting with them, quality.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on August 17, 2015
I'm a programmer. What's not to like about 200-300 lines of code on the screen at one time! And a layout window. And a properties sheet. And several other windows. All visible at the same time. I was always the most sensitive to screen flicker of anyone I knew, but this one, even at "only 30 HZ refresh rate" hasn't been a problem for me at all. My only complaint is that it shuts off after the set delay (currently 3 hours for me) whether you are actively using it or not. I just hit any key on the remote when it warns me "60 seconds to shut off". And, it doesn't automatically turn on when I move the mouse or use the keyboard like *every* monitor I have ever used. I have to use the power button, or the remote, to turn it back on. I did have to adjust the factory default sharpness settings to zero otherwise it made the text look fairly horrible. But, at zero it leaves the signal alone and it looks great. And now I have quad HD, four full HD screens, all at once! Beautiful! I did have to get a new graphics card to make it work properly, but that was around a $100. Money well spent. I am very happy. The worst thing I can say is that I have to move my head a lot to see it all. But, that's like saying that I had to not push the gas so hard in my new Ferrari. I think I can live with that little "inconvenience".
2 helpful votes