Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Diver Orange Dial Automatic Mens Watch SKX011J1
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on January 24, 2012
This style used to be the "King" of the Seiko Automatic Dive watches till the Orange Monster came along. It is a quality made old school "classic" diver's watch for a reasonable price.

Case/Crown
The case is constructed from solid stainless steel and is hefty. It is a little less thick & heavy than the Orange Monster. The case back is decorated with Seiko's Dive emblem design. The screw-in crown is at the 4 o'clock position and is large and solid feeling & the ears on the case help protect the crown from any damage. The watch is rated to a depth of 200 meters or 660 feet.

Movement
The Seiko 7S26 21 jewel Automatic movement is a tried & true rugged reliable movement that Seiko has made for many years. Accuracy may be off + or - 10 seconds per 24 hrs depending on less or more arm activity. You can not pull out the crown to stop the second hand to synchronize - (Non Hack).

Dial/Hands/Date
This watch has a awesome orange dial that is plain and easy to read. Hour markers are smaller & more subdued than the Orange Monster. Minute and Hour hands are gold outlined, which some people don't like, black would have been my preferred choice. The second hand is black with a small round luminous indicator on non-pointer end. Seiko uses Lumibrite on all hands & markers, this watch is not as bright as the Orange Monster due to the smaller subdued markers. This watch has a Day/Date window that is very legible. The day can be set to either Arabic or English and the usual black text is for weekdays, blue for Saturday and red for Sunday. Day/Date changes do not occur instantly at midnight. It takes roughly 4 hours (11 pm - 3am) for the change to occur.

Bezel
Bezel action is precise, smooth and expensive feeling as you can feel & hear the clicks of the one-way ring. The bezel has small indents around the outside & is less thick with no big lugs, which I prefer, unlike the the Orange Monster, but you can still turn it easily with gloves on. The black with gold numbering & markings on the bezel are printed instead of engraved but sits below bezel lip just slightly which also helps a bit to protect the crystal.

Crystal
Seiko uses a material called Hardlex which is less scratch resistant than sapphire crystal but also less brittle.

Strap
The watch came with Seiko's rubber dive strap which is a beefy heavy duty strap.

The bottom line is, Seiko probably sells very few of the SKX011J1 model now since the Orange Monster hit the market, as it is a little cheaper in price and has bigger & brighter markings on the dial.
But if you want a quality made, less heavy & thinner old school "classic" look Seiko Automatic Dive watch that will never need a battery plus is made in Japan, it is a heck of a watch that I highly recommend.
on November 11, 2012
This is the third Seiko dive watch I've owned.
First one, a Cal.6039-7049 is well over 35 years old. Currently in for refurb.
Got a SKX007K2 - the modern version of my old one. Still bullet-proof, and more pressure resistant.
So impressed with the quality of that one, I just got one of these orange ones.
Basically... same watch, same everything, except colors are different.
I like the Orange/Black colors. Has that Harley-Davidson sort of appeal.
Ended up getting a black stainless Oyster style band - different from the Jubilee band on the SKX007K2.
The Seiko rubber/polymer straps don't do well for me. I just prefer the metal band, and was able to get one with a black finish (which I hope holds up... we'll see).
And... as a fitting tribute, my Rolex of 20 years, a Submariner, is a pile of junk. Right now it needs a new piece on the case for the crown to screw onto. All the Rolex's are weak in that area, the metal is not as it ought to be. Rolex has "just quit" in the past (when new), also to the dismay of Rolex themselves began to run backwards... when they said it was impossible. Then the day quit changing, second hand fell off... you hame it, its been repaired at Rolex more than it one would expect.
Seiko is the much more durable watch... accuracy... mine have been doing about six minutes a month "off" when worn constantly.

(update)

Had the spring reserve on the SKX011 run out within 24 hours. It was 22 hours, for what thats worth. Thats about half of what it should be, and I'd worn it for more than a day. Right now, after wearing it again for 24 hours straight, its been running for nearly 40 hours on spring reserve. Maybe it was a fluke?

(update 2)

The watch went about 40 hours before it stopped. I'm ok with that. Considering I wore it to bed, took it off at about 6:30am and put on the SKX007. I'm sure that if I had removed it after work, say at 6PM, and started counting unworn hours, it would have gone past 40 by a number of hours. I toss a bit when I sleep, but basically... the watch was mostly unwound for those hours. So... maybe it would have gone 44 hours or so. I don't think I'm gonna test it further - it must have been a fluke.
on December 20, 2013
While I have had it only two weeks it fully meets my expectations keeping excellent time so far and matches my old Seiko #5H26-7A10 (quartz) diver which I got in 1990, I had an orange face (easy to see underwater as orange is one of the last colors to lose its original color at depth and becomes light colored) put on it in 1994 and it probably has 300 + hours underwater time but has seen better days and needed to be relumined. Having had Zodiac, Seiko, Rolex, Casio and Luminox dive watches over 35 years of diving I wanted to go back to the old style heavy duty Seiko diver which was "King" of dive watches back in the day and this does just that. I got an auto because getting a new battery every 2-3 years gets old and the watch has to be rewaterproofed if you are going to dive with it again. I like the Japanese 21 jewel movement which is proven and time tested. I also got the heavy duty Seiko issue Jubilee band to dress it up and it is very comfortable on my wrist. My diving days are over now but I have this watch to remind me of dive trips of the past. A little more expensive than the others in the SKX series (never did like the red/blue "Pepsi " bezel or black face) but it's so retro and in ORANGE !

Here's an update. After wearing it for over 4 weeks the accuracy is spot on ! While this watch does not have a "hack" feature to set the second hand every time I check it against my atomic clock on the wall or cell phone I can't tell if I have gained/lost time after the initial setting when I first put it on my wrist. For a mechanical watch that's excellent accuracy.
on November 2, 2014
I did not purchase mine from Amazon but while I was in the Philippines last August. The SXK011J is the watch to have for those who arte fussy. This particular model is fully manufactured and assembled in Japan. The Model numbers than end with a a J mean Japan produced and are also marked Japan on the dial. Some similar models with the 7S26 movement like this watch uses have the movements assembled in China and then the final assembly is done in Malaysia. The Japanese made model almost always are more accurate and have less problems. Look for model numbers with the letter J and take a close look at the face. Always pick the Japanese made Seiko. You will not be sorry. This is one beautiful watch.
on November 18, 2014
Great watch, another beauty from Seiko. It is just what I expected from Seiko, great fit and finish. I own a few Seiko watches and all of them are very dependable. It is a brand that I would rate highly and recommend to anyone.
on August 22, 2016
Where to even start? I bought this classic looking Seiko and within the first week the day number slipped to the wrong day. I thought nothing of it. Within six weeks of purchase, the day name slipped from English to Arabic twice within twelve hours. This is about the time I realized that my watch did not come with a manufacturers warranty, but instead had a third party warranty from Asurion. After much thought and just wanting a working watch, I sent the watch to Asurion for service. After a few weeks I got the watch back saying they ran it for six days and didn't find anything. So basically they did nothing. This was exactly what I had feared in the beginning-sending out the watch for weeks and returned still not working. The Asurion process literally didn't even tell me when they had the watch, what they would do, or when I would get it back. So today after the day name changed to Arabic again, I decided to write a review of this watch, so no one will have to go through the same process I did, be out $350 for a watch, and have no remedy other than take it to a real jeweler, spending more money, to have it fixed. Before you buy a watch on Amazon, make sure it is covered by a quality manufacturers warranty. My watch is still broken, and I have no satisfaction! THE WARRANTY FROM AMAZON THROUGH ASURION IS THIRD-RATE. MAKE SURE ANY WATCH YOU BUY COMES WITH THE MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY.
on August 10, 2012
Hadn't had a watch since my old plastic Tag (present to myself for finishing PhD back in late 80's) finally died about 1O years ago. Watch looks great, and seems very well made. Good size, not too enormous. Hope it lasts as long as the Tag so the kids can argue who gets it when I kick the bucket.
on March 10, 2013
brilliant collector's editon. stopped being made so it will be scarce. and it has super reliable design. and colour orange makes it fashionable and sporty
on May 21, 2016
The SKX line of dive watches from Seiko are legendary. When I was on active duty in the Navy the Seiko dive watch was the preferred timepiece due to its reliability and ruggedness. The SKX line is an updated version to the 7002 and 7009 that I had thirty years ago. My watch never died but grew legs and walked away.
The SKX 011 is built the same, bullet proof and very reliable. The orange dial is rarer than the black dial 007 and blue dial 009. All have the 7S26 autowinder movement that will run forever. I ordered the Seiko Jubliee bracelet and the watch looks great.
on September 30, 2015
I love the looks of this watch, and also the fit. It is very comfortable with the stock black rubber writstband.

I had this watch for about a month or so, and then it began to lose time (eventually 10 minutes or more a day). The warranty process was a pain in the ass, and the repair facitily had to order parts. It took months for me to get the watch back, and the dialogue with the warranty facility left a lot to be deisred (they were NEVER prompt in their replies when I was following-up on the status of my watch).

The watch is now keeping marvelous time, and I am very happy with it. Had the watch worked this way out of the box, and had I not gone through the warranty snafu, I would give this watch five stars.

If the watch keeps performing for a year as it is today, then I will update this to five stars.

See 1 answered question