Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Divers Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SRP313
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on April 17, 2014
I own a Breitling navitimer cosmonaut, a Hamilton jazzmaster, a Tissot v8, a Certina podium and a host of other watches of many makes... Having said that I was more excited when I first got it than many of the models mentioned above, it immediately grew on my heart.

I wanted a diver watch that did not look like or try to look like a rolex submariner...This watch looks exceptionally beautiful in its own way, well built and great lume.
A perfect weekend watch at a great value.

P.S: The watch is much nicer than in the picture.

Review update:
After a couple of days of trails.
Pros:
1. Solid build and operation.
2. Not much time loss or gain, a few seconds so far. (which is pretty good for an automatic watch).
2. Is not heavy on the wrist or clunky.

Cons:
1. The crown is a bit awkward to handle, but not a real bother.

Advice: Swap the rubber bands with a nato strap.
on April 20, 2015
This is the “Dracula” version of the highly-regarded Seiko Monster series of automatic diver watches. The Dracula nickname comes from the red surround of the hour marker fangs which gives a nice color variation over the more traditional Black Monster. I chose this model because I felt that the white hands and hour markings on the Orange Monster might not provide enough contrast as this was my prime criteria for getting a diver’s watch: I want to be able to determine instantly at a glance what time it is without having to peer more closely at the dial during the day or have to activate a light at night. This watch does very nicely in this regard.

This watch replaces a Victorinox Swiss Army sport watch that died after nine years of service. The story is becoming depressingly similar for me whenever I take my quartz watches into the local jeweler to get the battery replaced: either the battery is out of stock, or they have to send it to a watch repairman to get the back off (both of my Victorinox watches) which takes weeks, or the battery they put in dies after a few days forcing me to go back and have them put in another battery, or the bad news is that the watch doesn’t work properly and has to be repaired. I was looking for something that would help me avoid that hassle and that is what caused me become interested in automatic movement watches, something I haven’t owned since the 1960s.

The enthusiasm for the Monster series is strong among watch nerds, as I discovered during my research. This is a second generation movement, the 4R36, which allows hacking (stopping all the hands when the crown is fully pulled out) and is windable, two features not provided in the first generation Monsters. There is high praise for the stainless steel bracelet that is a no-cost option, but I opted for the polyurethane strap because as a rule I dislike metal watch bands, finding them too heavy and not comfortable on my wrist. Plus I wanted to just put the watch on right out of the box and go rather than having to get the bracelet sized by removing links and playing around with the adjustments.

So, how do I like it? I short, I think it’s fantastic! Pictures don’t do this watch justice – the bezel and case gleam in the light, the white hands and hour markings have a very nice contrast against the jet black background, and I find the polyurethane strap to be very comfortable. The strap is extra-long to allow the watch to be applied over a wet suit, a nice touch but something I’ll never use because I don’t scuba dive. Many watch aficionados replace the band with widely available NATO style straps to add even more color variation. The lume is legendary in this series of watches and I can attest that it does glow very brightly at first and tapers off to an easily readable level throughout the night. It doesn’t feel heavy on my wrist and the bulk is significant less than my seventeen year old digital display G-Shock which has previously been my everyday casual watch. Since receiving the Monster, I have worn it during all waking hours. As of this writing, it has gained about eight seconds a day. I understand that this will probably improve over time but even now I think this is good enough for a relatively inexpensive automatic.

While I could afford an Omega Seamaster or Rolex Submariner if I really wanted one, that just isn’t my style. I don’t buy things to project wealth or status. I like the fact that this is a cult favorite and only those in the know will appreciate it for what it is: a handsome dive watch, reliable Seiko automatic movement, excellent readability, tough construction quality, and a price low enough to not really worry about it if it gets lost or stolen or quits working. Highly recommended to anyone considering a no-nonsense dive watch.
on September 13, 2013
The accuracy is truly outstanding - especially in light of the tendency of automatic watches to vary. Structurally, one couldn't ask for more, as it is well-made and solid. It is easy to read in darkened conditions. Get it wet? No problem! The 2nd. generation hacking and hand winding features are welcome and work properly. If you are a fan of rubber watch straps, the one supplied with the watch is a fine example thereof. If you aren't a fan, either a good-quality nylon strap or the fine original equipment metal bracelet are readily available, easily installed, and affordable. Aesthetically, it's a handsome timepiece that you can proudly wear in the water or with formal attire - plus all the places where most of us spend the greater percentage of our lives.
on May 16, 2014
Nice watch but Amazon shows the dial w/ Japan at the bottom and lists it as the SRP313J1 (Japan) model under PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS but it's the K model. I returned mine and have asked several other sellers and all have told me they are selling the same K model.

So if you're specifically looking for the J model ask the seller before you purchase and don't go by Amazons description.
on October 31, 2013
Nice price for the Black Monster! Easy ordering and quick shipping. I've had numerous Seiko dive watches over my 35 plus years of diving. They've all performed very well! The Black Monster has a rugged look as most dive watches do. The watch has a thick rotating bezel, which does not move unless you move it. Love the black rubber band and they always hold up over time. You can get a metal band to replace the rubber, if you don't like that type of fit or style. Don't let the watch sit too long though, such as a day or longer - or the watch will stop and you will have to reset the time. Might purchase the orange face next. Also, as some have previously mentioned, there is no Seiko warranty information included, which could be suspect but I'm pleased with the overall purchase and the watch is working just fine. I would highly recommend the watch to others and for the price -- it's a no brainer if you like Seiko dive watches. Enjoy and dive deep!
on August 3, 2014
I bought this watch in July 2014 and it was delivered on 7-10-14. I own several dive watches-- Omega Seamaster Pro,Momentum M1 Pro, and Momentum M50 DSS, all of which are quartz movement. I wanted an automatic diver. I had heard and read about Seiko Monsters for years and had considered buying one for years, but there were several reviews which were critical of the accuracy of the Monster. But when Seiko came out with a 2nd gen. monster with an improved 24 jewel movement and new dial design, I researched it. Several of the reviews stated that accuracy had been improved as well as the addition of hand winding and hacking. So I pulled the trigger.When you buy any automatic at this price point spot-on accuracy is a hit-or-miss prospect. If you want spot on accuracy in a watch, buy a quartz atomic digital which adjusts to the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, Colorado on a daily basis. If you want near spot-on accuracy in an automatic, expect to pay several Ks for a swiss certified chronometer. I am very pleased to say that my 2nd gen. monster is as accurate as my Omega Constellation cert. chron. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got an accurate Monster right out riright
on August 10, 2014
Very nice Seiko dive watch here. It's very comfortable on the rubber strap, it looks cool with the way the case is designed, and with the "shark tooth" hour markers. It's great having an automatic that you can hand wind and with a hacking movement so that you can set it accurately. Seiko has some of the best luminosity on dive watches that I've ever seen. (look at the pic I posted) This is a deal that's hard to beat for a watch that looks cool, is very comfortable, and is functional -- it would serve well as a dive watch for those who dive, or just make the rest of us look the part!
review image
on November 5, 2015
Love this watch. I have a bunch of them (orient, Swiss army, swatch, invictas and vostok) but this one is becoming my favorite. The rubber strap is 20 mm it looks small in a guy my size (I'm 6.2 280lb gym going guy). I chanced the strap for a nato strap and now is perfect.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 3, 2013
This is a great watch ! It has great wrist presence and just looks so cool, WAY better in person than in photo's. This "Dracula" monster (nicknamed due to the blood red on the "fangs"...) will bite back though. Operating the crown can be a pain in the...thumb. The lower part of the case where it meets the crown was very sharp. Not sharp enough to draw blood (yeah, you'd like that, wouldn't you Count ?), but enough to be unpleasant. I think it was just a one off thing as my other Seiko's are finished to perfection. No big deal, a very very very fine rat-tail file/rasp and 2 minutes fixed everything.

That one very minor quibble notwithstanding, this is a fine watch. Seems to be running 4 - 5 seconds slow a day right now, which is perfectly acceptable. COSC will allow a movement to be -4 a day and still pass it as a Certified Chronometer. The fact that this generation Monster has a hand windable, hacking movement is a welcome improvement over first gen Monsters as well.

It's a Seiko. My 6th Seiko. Seiko never cease to amaze me with the quality of their affordable watches. For the price of a good night out and ungodly hangover, you're getting a timepiece, with proper care, to be passed from one generation to the next.
on September 30, 2014
Just got my watch today so I will update this review after I have had it for a month or so. First impressions, this watch is of amazing quality. It is not too heavy, nor is it too large for a lady to wear. If fits my wrist just large enough for my older eyes to be able to read it easy. I love the glowing hands and numerals. The red tips add a touch of elegance & mystery. I wanted it to be an automatic watch because I do not like having to replace batteries. Every time I have taken a watch in to get a battery replaced, the clerks either break my watch or scratch it up. Since I set this watch this morning it has kept perfect time. I will update all of the important workings of this watch later on. Seiko is known for quality time pieces and I am very happy I decided to get this waterproof watch. I look forward to having this watch for many years. Alex was a wonderful sales person in helping me to decide which Seiko would work best for me.