Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Divers Automatic Deep Blue Dial Mens Watch SKX009K1
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

TOP 100 REVIEWERon June 17, 2014
This is the 'Pepsi' blue & red dial version of the fantastically popular, classic SKX007, which has the original black face & dial. Both the 007 and 009 watches are equally sturdy, well built, have a great warranty, and are built to hand down to future generations. Each is certified as a true dive watch, good to 200 Meters.

This SKX009 is mechanically the same as the 007, same great fit and sturdy build. The only difference is the color of the bezel and the face.

There's a ton of great info and reviews on both the 007 and 009 versions on the various online watch forums. I love this watch.

The 009 face is a very dark navy, almost a 'midnight' blue, hard to tell in the Amazon photo. It looks almost black in most indoors lighting, such as a restaurant. The red portion of the bezel extends a full 20 minutes, 1/3 of the total bezel (some other 'Pepsi' dials cover only 10 minutes of the bezel, it's up to you which you prefer).

This watch comes with a black rubber dive band (same as the 007), but is also available with a stainless clasp band, usually for around $20 more. I wear my dive watches on nylon NATO straps, so if you don't want a stainless band you could save some money with this rubber dive band version. If you like a stainless metal band look, you may want to check out the listings for that version.

If you want a Pepsi dial, this Seiko is a great choice. If you'd like a great Pepsi dial at a lower price, check out the Orient brand Pepsi 'Mako' watch, also available here on Amazon. If you're after an indestructible serious Dive watch, choose Seiko. If you want a 200-meter-certified but somewhat dressier feeling dive watch, check out the Orient Ray. Both are attractive and both are sturdy as a tank, but Orient will be about 40-50% less than the Seiko, and makes the crossover to a conservative office watch easily.

Whatever you do, make sure you comparison shop, and make sure you buy from an authorized Seiko dealer (you can verify sellers on Seiko's website) so your warranty will be valid. Beware 'grey' market sellers which may be selling factory seconds, refurbished's, trade-in's, Frankenwatches assembled from salvage parts, or worse. Lots of those on online auction sites.

I found mine a couple years ago online for $185, shipped, with the rubber band. It pays to shop around.

Hope this is helpful. Happy dives, everybody.
on July 31, 2009
Many thanks, an excellent and understated watch. I have had many different dive watches, but this one by far is the best. It comes with me as a backup timer whilst diving and has never let me down. I am in the Royal Marines and this timepiece has managed to take all the knocks and bumps to date with no problems! a genuine article that I'm proud to own.
on April 11, 2015
The watch is great. Keeps time perfectly and the Pepsi look is pretty classic. Lume is bright and visible. The strap is junk and, I must add, very difficult to remove. I replaced it with a Daluca nato strap and it's much better now.
review image
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2016
This watch is darn near perfect... for the price. And that is the big caveat for all aspects of this watch. For a mere $200, you get a well made, attractive watch that is also an ISO certified dive watch. This means that the watch is water resistant to 200 meters, magnetic resistant, shock resistant, and it has a unidirectional bezel. For me, part of the fun of owning the watch is knowing that I get so much watch for so little money.

MOVEMENT
The movement is a day/date movement that does not have hand winding or hacking (meaning the seconds hand doesn't stop when you adjust the time). I thought that the lack of hand winding and hacking would be a problem, but it really hasn't been. The self-winding rotor seems to be very efficient, so when I pick up my watch, I just wave it around for about 3 seconds to get it started, I set the time, and I'm off. I haven't timed the accuracy, and I switch watches everyday, but I haven't noticed any issues with that.

CASE & CROWN
The case wears very small for a 42mm watch. The reasons are that the lugs are very short, so the watch sits on the wrist more like a 40mm or even less. Also, the sides of the case are rounded, so there are no edges to dig into your wrist. When you flex your hand backward, the rounded case gives you room to move comfortably, also the 4 o'clock position of the crown helps as well.

However, the crown is a bit of a pain to use. The crown guards are too high and close to the crown making it difficult screw open and especially screw closed. Also, better grip on the crown would help quite a bit. The crowns on the "Monster" series of Seiko divers are much better.

The finish of the case is nice, and the fit is tight all around. Obviously it doesn't have the sharp delineations of brushed and polished surfaces you'd find on a more expensive watch. Rather, it all just sort of blends together. Regardless, it's still very attractive, and it has enough shine without being blingy.

BEZEL
The bezel itself is very function and it feels nice to use. The grip has two rows of rounded peaks which are easy to grip. The ratcheting mechanism is spring loaded, and it gives a very satisfying click with each turn. It's hard to explain, but the click is secure without being harsh. Also, I find it neat that there are two types of clicks. The clicks that fall on the minutes have one type, and the clicks that fall in between minutes have a different one.

The bezel insert is an attractive and distinctive blue and red. You can tell visually that it's not high quality, but I think that is part of the charm of the watch.

DIAL & CRYSTAL
The dial is sparse and utilitarian in a way that I think adds to the appeal of this as a no nonsense tool watch. The dial itself is flat, matte, and a very dark almost black shade of blue. The indices are slightly raised, and the lume itself is absolutely fantastic. In the slightest bit of shade, the lume burns bright green. The dial also has an angled and elevated minute track. Keeping the minutes off of the main dial helps to keep the look clean and legible.

I thought the handset was ugly at first, but it's really grown on me. The ends of the hands have needle points to give a good amount of accuracy, and they are outlined in shiny metal. My only criticism is that I think the minute hand should be longer to better distinguish it from the hour hand. I realize that they look completely different, but I sometimes forget which is which since I rotate watches on a daily basis and I'm not accustomed to them. At a glance, the length is what would help me to tell them apart.

The crystal is flat and very clear. I have no problem with any glare. Also the edges are chamfered/ beveled where it meets the bezel which adds a nice look. The crystal is a mineral crystal (hardlex), so it will be more prone to scratches than a sapphire crystal. I have had no problems with scratches so far, and also there is a benefit in that hardlex is more shatter resistant than sapphire.

STRAP
The rubber strap on this is not good. It's stiff and uncomfortable. The rubber strap on their monster series is much softer, and I wish they had used the same strap.

On a side note, I tried about 5 other aftermarket bracelets, and I found that the OEM jubilee bracelet is the best for me. It's lighter and more comfortable than any other bracelet I've ever tried on any watch. However it is clearly of very poor quality. The bracelet rattles A LOT, it has hollow end links, and it's all just stamped metal. Even so, the comfort is so good, that it's still my bracelet of choice.

DURABILITY
The whole thing feels tough. The bezel is solid, the case and case back feel solid and a little heavy even. The lugs and crown guards are thick, short, and well integrated into the case so that the whole watch feels like one cohesive unit.

OVERALL
It's interesting... taken in isolation no single part of this watch holds up to a more expensive watch. The crown is cheap, the bezel is cheap, etc. BUT they are all impressive for a $200 watch. Then when you put together all of these individual parts, each of which overachieve for the price, you suddenly have a watch that does hold up to a more expensive watch in total. It's like you have 10 things that are each 10% better that the price would justify. Then when you add it up, 10 times 10% gives you a watch that is 100% better than the price would normally allow. And that's how I feel about this watch. You get about double what you pay for. And even knowing that gives you a little more in terms of pride of ownership.
on June 21, 2015
Like many people, I wasn't sure of the red and blue Pepsi bezel...the black just seemed like a safer option. But after getting this in the mail, I can safely say that it's a no-brainier. The colors pop and only add to the watch's presence.

After one week I haven't had to change the time. I haven't measured down to the second, but it's keeping up with the time on my phone.

I also have the Casio diver's watch, which I'm really happy with, but this one blows it out of the water. The bezel turns much easier and the face is a little smaller for someone with an average sized wrist.
on July 30, 2015
I bought this for my girlfriend as a match to with my black Seiko(exactly the same design, only different rim color) and it looks cute and seems to go well with casual wear, but the only discomfort is having to wear it almost every day, because otherwise it will frequently stop moving. Even when you are wearing it, it sort of wants you to shake your wrists quite vigorously in order to gain momentum energy to keep working. But other than that, since the design itself is simple, you can change the band to match many different styles (as you can see in our picture with a different variety of watchbands).
on July 30, 2013
My primary watch is a Rolex Submariner. I love it but it isn't appropriate for all situations. I love automatic, mechanical watches so for 1/40th the price of my Rollie I gave this one a shot and I have to say, Seiko makes a fine time piece. I'll be tracking it over the next few days for accuracy. It's a great looking watch. The rubber band is sporty and I like that it lays flat unlike my G-Shock. If you want an automatic, mechanical dive watch for less than $250 this is the one for you.
on November 3, 2015
This is a very iconic Seiko watch and you can probably find all kinds of information about this watch on the internet. I just want to write a quick review regarding my opinion of the watch. The build quality of this watch is top notch and is extremely durable, from the case to the crystal. It WILL take a beating. I like the appearance, since it reminds me of Seiko divers from the 1970s. The dial is very nice looking. while the time is super easy to read. Additionally, the lume is just top notch as expected from Seiko. Why did I take one star off? First, the rubber strap that came with the watch is not very comfortable. I ended up getting a bracelet for it. It is very thick and hard and doesn't fit very well. Secondly, the accuracy of the watch is very dependent upon position. Overall it is fairy accurate, but you need to be careful about how you would position the watch when not wearing it. ***I do have other Seiko watches that use the same movement as this one but is much more accurate. So this factor will vary from watch to watch.
on October 8, 2015
Great watch! The automatic mechanism keeps time quite well (over the couple weeks I've owned it). Like a Rolex for the working man. In addition to my satisfaction with this watch, they exceeded my expectations by sending a watch with the band from more expensive models, not the one pictured. My last watch was a Luminox which was a fragile piece of crap with NO support network. This watch is more substantial and will obviously hold up better to hard use. And at less than half the cost!
on March 15, 2016
The Seiko SKX model is a must have for any man's watch collection. The value is unbeatable. I own Rolex, Omega, Tudor, and other fine watch brands, and still proudly wear my Seiko SKX models. Put on your favorite Nato or Zulu strap to personalize this timepiece gem.