Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ed Sheeran PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 5, 2013
This is another attractive, quality watch by Seiko. I have 5 Seikos, 3 battery powered and 2 Kinetic movement. I have always been a fan of Seiko because of their styling and accuracy. They have always seemed to me to be a good value for the price.

This watch is the largest and heaviest of the Seikos that I own. This watch weighs in at a whopping 7.2 oz with 2 links removed. A typical Seiko battery powered watch weighs only 2.4 oz. So if a large heavy watch is not your cup of tea, this watch is not for you.The diameter of the turnable bezel measures 42mm and the thickness is 14mm. Personally, I like a heavy watch so the size and weight is not a problem for me.

The kinetic movement, to me, is the best of both worlds, utilizing the features of an automatic along with battery backup. Once fully charged it's good for 4 to 6 months. This watch, so far, has been very accurate. I haven't made any sort of a scientific study regarding accuracy but a casual glance at an Atomic alarm clock would seem to indicate that the watch is within a second or so from the time I received it and initially set it. This is certainly close enough for me. This watch will not be used for diving. I just liked the look of it and the data on Amazon's website describing the watch is accurate. If you need to have the band resized. I would suggest you have a jeweler do it. The links on this watch have a sleeve which is easily lost. Generally I am a DIY'er, but this one had to be rescued by a jeweler.

Bottom line: large heavy handsome watch, very accurate. Suggest you look around the house for something that weighs 7oz and imagine it on your wrist. Only thing I wish it had was both the day and date displayed, but then I knew it didn't before I bought it.
on September 3, 2014
The best dive watch! I am an avid fan of Seiko and I think this is the best dive watch on the market. The dial is crystal clear, the bracelet is easy to adjust and is very functional, the date is small but easy to read, the lumen markers look great (probably the brightest anywhere), and the watch is fairly accurate. Although it is a heavy watch, it has a clean look that you can wear for casual day or with a suit. For you Seiko fanatics, you should read the blog that tests the durability of this watch. In the blog by Nick entitled BFK Durability Testing, it survived the following tests:

1. Frozen in block of ice (lost 4 seconds)
2. 3' drop onto concrete to break ice
3. Permanent press dryer cycle- 30 minutes
4. Deep freeze cycle - not submerged
5. Dishwasher with heat dry.
6. Run over by Honda Odyssey with one tire.
on January 21, 2016
Is a 'Kinetic' watch the right watch for you?

I love the kinetic quartz option, because it fits my lifestyle. I have an active job, in which I wear a watch regularly (but do not wear it over the weekend.)

With 'Automatics' I tended to leave them unworn over the weekend, and by Monday the watch had stopped, and I would need to re-set both time and date. I usually noticed this -after- I got to work and needed to know what time it was. A real hassle! I frequently had no idea what the time or date was (the point of wearing a watch).

With 'Kinetics' however, my active job would charge the reserve battery while being worn, and over the weekend it had plenty of charge to keep ticking (accurately), and was ready for Monday with no problems. In fact, there is enough reserve power to charge the watch for something like 30 days!

I love the quality and styling of the SKA371, and highly recommend it for active watch wearers. (It is not a good watch for sitting on a shelf. Allowing the battery in a Kinetic watch to become depleted shortens the life of the battery significantly).

My only minor complaint is that the watch s fairly "thick". It sits off the wrist noticeably. I imagine that is because of the movement and reserve battery, but people with smaller wrists (like myself) should be aware of this for fitment.
on July 5, 2017
Received my watch yesterday. External box, internal box, 2 insruction manuals in various languages including English, and the watch. The packaging is very poor quality, however, the watch itself looks to be very nice quality. I took it to the local jewelry store this morning to size the bracelet to fit my 7" wrist. They removed 3 links, 2 from the six oclock end and one from the twelve oclock end, and it now foys and feels very good on my wrist. Upon arrival, my watch shows 20 seconds or approx 1 month of charge. Today I also purchased the Seiko Kinetic Charger from A,azon. It costs more than the watch??!! The manuals I received are dated October 2016 and January 2017. Wondering how to determine when the watch itself was manufactured? Overall, this watch appears to be very good quality and an even better value at the price.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 25, 2016
Exceptional timepiece and value from Seiko. Watch was purchased from Dexclusive on Amazon for $225 and retails for almost $600. Wears big and heavy and gives you the feel of an automatic with the convenience and accuracy of a quartz. Built like a tank. Came with all original boxes, packaging, tags and paperwork and the dial displays the Prospex logo. Perfect.
review image
on January 6, 2017
Great purchase and it is as advertised. Fabulous value; Now as to warranties; The Seiko warranty is no better than the Amazon one and a word of warning. You do get a much better deal through this seller however the Amazon warranty does not guarantee you get your exact watch back: Here is the guts of the Amazon Warranty "For Watch defects covered by this limited warranty, at our choice
and cost, we will (i) have your defective Watch repaired, (ii) have
your Watch replaced with a watch with similar features and
functionality, or (iii) refund to you the amount you originally paid
to purchase your Watch."
So they do not guarantee you get a Seiko movement nor your original watch back at Amazon but all is at their CHOICE send you a similar watch back... but neither does Seiko guarantee this. Remember,if a warranty does not specifically say you get the Seiko movement, they can give you what they consider a repaired watch back. Seiko has the following:

"We warrant that if your SEIKO watch described on the enclosed Certificate of Limited Warranty
proves, on presentation by you within three years from the date of original retail purchase, to be
defective in material or workmanship and provided the watch was purchased from an authorized
SEIKO dealer, we will, at our option, regulate, adjust, or repair or replace parts or movement,
without charge to you, subject to the following limits and exclusions":.....which says what they won't do....lol ALL AT THEIR OPTION IS THE KEY PHRASE.

So you save almost 50% but you must foot the bill from a watch repair place you trust if you want genuine Seiko parts.
Of course you must trust your service person to do the right thing. I believed my control of my watch is more in my hands doing it myself rather than through a warranty. So if not in your opinion, then go to a Jeweler and pay full price for the warranty through the Jeweler.
Just make sure the repairs are on site and not sent out.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2014
i've owned an automatic (self-winding) omega seamster for 20 years, and love the watch . . . looks good, not too bulky, keeps reasonably accurate time. However, this omega of mine was expensive in 1992 ($770) and probably goes for more than four grand now. Is this the watch to wear all the time? Plumbing? Demolition work? General screwing around? I've beat it up pretty good at work. Always felt guilty when I'd inadvertently smash it into something. A few years ago I was swimming in a Sierra Nevada river and scratched the hell out of the clasp and band on a submerged rock. I felt bad. More to the point, I was starting to look at the omega as an asset I could never afford to replace, should i lose or severely damage it. A few weeks ago, I dropped it and it started losing an hour every five hours. Awful. Send it in to omega service? $600 for their top-to-bottom overhaul. No, not kidding. It's right there on their website. Oh, and say goodbye to the watch for six weeks. And that would be my watch's second visit to omega. Wasn't in the mood to drop that much coin -- my truck needs the money worse. I have a plastic watch (old Polar heartrate monitor watch) that I sometimes wear, but it looks like crap and it's a piece of plastic. Started looking at other beefy, all-stainless (watch and band) waterproof watches. Bought a citizen off amazon, the one with the solid, cast case. Nice watch, good size (it was smaller, I have small wrists), but i decided I didn't like the look of the black rubber band, also found the bezel action a bit rough and janky. Can't quite put my finger on the 'why', but it just wasn't the watch for me. Couldn't see myself with this thing on my wrist 24/7 after the omega. Returned it (amazon very cool) and bought this seiko.
It is a big frigging watch! Thick! Heavy! But it has been accurate to the second -been checking it against my cell -- I have been wearing this watchor the five days i've owned it. Although the finish quality is very good, it is not my omega. But -- newsflash -- who can afford an omega today? I cut wood and bang nails for a living! Initially i thought it might be too big for me, but i've gotten used to it. But this is a large watch, make no mistake.
The high polish it has in places is a bit too flash, and though the movement was made in Japan, I suspect the rest of this watch was made elsewhere. It's mostly just a China vibe. The band, definitely made in China, not too impressive. Not bad, but not high-end Swiss. About the band: it needed to be sized -- reduced by a few links to fit -- so I took it to a local jeweler, who did it in 10 minutes for ten bucks. Don't make yourself crazy trying to do this yourself . . . I see that Amazon sells a device to do this, but if it takes my experienced local jeweler 10 minutes, it'll probably take a layman a lot longer. And if you lose one of the little pins, you're screwed. I'm a handy guy, but I decided to leave this little bit of surgery to the pros.
The self-winding Kinetic movement is cool, and, as I said, so far very accurate. This also means no expensive opening/resealing of the watch to change the battery every few years. This movement is a bit noisy/audible when the watch is shaken vigorously. I find it interesting, not annoying. OK, so, overall, i am very impressed with this watch (ok, five days of ownership, but whatever). This is a lot of watch for the $225 I paid for it. I would definitely buy it again. If I wasn't so spoiled by the perfection of my seamaster, I wouldn't be so picky about this watch's lesser quality. And all that means is this is not a $4k watch.
Update: in the two weeks I have been wearing this watch, it has lost 4 seconds. not bad.
on November 1, 2011
Received the SKA371 approximately two weeks ago. Been wearing it every day since.

This is a very good watch to this point, and I don't foresee any problems in the future. Had never owned a kinetic model before and was curious.

I do, however, have a couple of complaints. The watch is listed on Amazon as 45mm. Nowhere does it say, "with the crown." Most watches are measured without the crown, e.g., "45mm without crown, 48mm including crown." This watch is actually 42mm, 45mm with the crown. Therefore, I was somewhat disappointed when I received it. Amazon needs to be a little more diligent with its product descriptions. Still, I liked it enough not to return it.

Second, wasn't sure at first if I would like the skeleton hands. My biggest concern was the lume and the short stubby hour hand. Wish that the hour hand had been a tad longer, but the lume is applied generously on the hand ends making for relatively easy nighttime viewing.

The case and bracelet are well made, but then I have never personally owned or seen an ill made Seiko case. The rotating bezel is firm but smooth turning. As someone else mentioned, I wish that the bezel protected the crystal. It doesn't.

One thing that I particularly like is the power reserve feature. It is simply a button that when pushed fast forwards the second hand anywhere up to thirty seconds. Where it stops a long the way to thirty seconds is what your power reserve is. Thirty seconds equals four to six months. The second hand then stays motionless until the actual time catches up to it then it begins its little bunny hop again.

Accuracy is excellent. Have not conducted any real testing on it as yet, but from my casual observance it appears to still be right on the money.

Some have written that this is a large and heavy watch. I would have to politely disagree. A forty-two millimeters diver is not large. It does have some heft to it, but not overly so for what it was designed for. For those who have not experienced diving watches before it might take a day or two before the weight becomes unnoticeable. But, it is not that heavy.

During my diving days, when a watch was important to divers, I used an automatic Seiko 150m WR diver. Never had an issue with it. I'd probably still be wearing it today if it hadn't finally gone belly up and the O-ring was no longer available (according to an authorized Seiko service center). It is hard to beat Seiko for great divers at realistic prices. In fact, it is hard to beat Seiko, period, in divers.

BTW, I test my divers now by submitting them to a shower head nozzle. If there are any leaks this will usually make them apparent. It has survived this make shift test intact.

I would recommend this watch without any hesitations, provided you know what the true size of it is. LP
on April 2, 2016
I could not be happier with this purchase, in every respect. The watch first came with a slight defect (the bezel didn't line up exactly) and Amazon replaced it without any hassle. Two days later I had the diving watch I've always wanted: rugged, accurate, and supremely versatile. I don't know yet the staying power of the Kinetic movement, but it's very fun to have a hybrid electric generator on your wrist, regardless.

It's a gorgeous watch, and easily rivals the looks and finish (and surpasses the accuracy) of a modern Seamaster, for 1/10 the price.

As a watch collector, I could not recommend this watch more highly.
review image
on August 7, 2014
First Impression:
1. It's Solid.
2. Perfectly chiseled.
3. Robust.
4. Precise Hand movement.
5. Bright Lume.
6. Solid Bezel.
7. Does not look cheap instead high on quality.
8. It has character of its own.

Why I purchased it?
1. Lots of positive reviews. (In fact I did not come across any negative review)
2. Certified Divers watch
3. Kinetic movement
4. Long lasting (as per owner's reviews)

Chosen against Citizen ecozilla, Seiko SNAE67, Citizen BL8000-54L and AT9013-03H considering its robust and uniqueness.
I liked BL8000-54L but its more like classic dress watch.
SNAE67 is a good looking watch BUT I don't like its stationary third (Chronograph) hand, it seems like watch stopped working :-). Ecozilla is unique but too big and had doubt about its solidness and replacement of band in near future.
Had a chance to get Citizen AT9013-03H for $290 (now $396) but Rose gold version seems delicate for daily use and lots of feature.

My Only Worry:
I Hope that the piece I got would be long lasting.
However it look solid overall.

Last word: