Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 392 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 431 reviews
on February 22, 2014
I first learned of this watch via a brief review in a blog titled "This $180 Dive Watch Puts Rolex Submariners On Notice". That certainly got my attention since I enjoy interesting watches across a range of price points. The link in the review led to the item here on Amazon and I was impressed by the consistency of the positive reviews and the scarcity of negative ones. By the way, thanks to the reviewers who shared such detailed comments on this watch's physical metrics as well as their objective and subjective comments.

Based on the strength of the reviews (mostly here but also on other sites around the web), I ordered it that day. Despite selecting free shipping I had it a mere 3 days later through seller E Watch Stock. I had read of other buyers receiving non-Seiko packaging and documentation but mine appeared to be fully authentic and original. I was not cheated out of the fun of unboxing this excellent timepiece.

This watch has met my expectations, meaning that a) it is as good-looking and functional as I had hoped, and b) I agree with those who feel the band's heft--or lack thereof-- doesn't match that of the watch. The Jubilee has a nice look but I can't get past the light weight and the play (nice way of saying rattle). So I ordered a Super Oyster from Strapcode. My wrist measures a shade under 8" and the stock Jubilee bracelet required only minor adjustments to the clasp to achieve a comfortable fit until the replacement arrives. I took a photo of it in my office and added it to the image gallery.

This is a timeless watch design and the automatic movement gives it interest and quirkiness including that enjoyable (to me) smooth sweep action of the second hand. One big intangible of this watch is the pride of ownership. I have already recommended it to some buddies and several lady friends as a great surprise purchase for the men in their lives. It is a handsome watch that will be right at home with the Tag and Omega watches in my collection. The remarkable value proposition of this watch makes it easy to recommend.

Update 2/27/14:
Just replaced the original Jubilee-style bracelet with a Super Oyster II band from Strapcode. It was a head-turner before, and now I consider this one of the best-looking and most distinctive watches in my collection...some of the best watch money I've ever spent!

Update 3/15/17:
Three full years since purchase and this watch is still my favorite and is on my wrist almost every day. I still get compliments on it when I'm out and about. Love it!
review image
55 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2016
This is my first big boy watch, ive moved up from the timex, casio, and gshock world and will hopefully someday end up in the IWC, Rolex, and Omega world, but untill then Seiko is a great middle ground. Its an affordable watch with high end characteristics and feel. It has a 7s26 movement, which is not the prettiest or most accurate movement, but what it is, is a workhorse of a movement, which is the perfect pairing for this watch. I would have gladly paid more for a scratch resistant sapphire crystal rather than hadlex but its managable. The bracelet is very comfortable but i personally did not like the look so i replaced it with a 2 piece nato/stitched kevlar black band. This watch is sexy. It is also rated to 200m which is around 600ish feet of water resistant, it is a certified diving watch, im not a diver, but if i ever wanted to, i have a watch that can handle much more than the average joe can do. Ive banged it around, dropped it, and taken it wakeboarding at a lake, works just fine. This watch is meant to be like indiana jones, travel and adventure and rough use, but it can also pass to be a james bond watch because of its great looks. Lume is excellent, 120 click bezel feels like a dream to operate, and day and date is a nice touch because i often forget what the day is.
on December 31, 2014
Fantastic watch. I purchased the super oyster II bracelet for the watch at the same time as I not a huge fan of the jubilee bracelet that comes with the watch. The difference in the two bracelets is substantial when compared side by side as the jubilee is very light and feels a little bit flimsy in comparison.

The watch looks great and can be worn in a number of different settings easily as with the super oyster it tends to dress either up or down easily. The build quality is fantastic, the movement accurate, and the finish perfect. I could not be happier. To make it perfect I will be replacing the hardlex crystal with a yokobies sapphire crystal as I have had mixed experiences with hardlex historically.

This is a fantastic diver and just a great all around watch. You will not be disappointed.
on September 16, 2017
Absolutely killer watch! Here are some things to consider though. 1) the bracelet is pretty shoddy. I'd skip this version and get the K1, which comes on a rubber strap. I'm not a fan of rubber straps, but in retrospect I should've saved the extra bucks and just bought a higher quality bracelet from Strapcode. 2) this watch doesn't allow for hand winding. Not a huge deal, but if you own and wear multiple watches, prepare to reset this one every once in a while.

Even with those caveats, I love this watch. So dang much. I honestly don't think a better automatic diver exists at this price point. I plan on keeping it for life. I've owned it for over a month now and in that time of wearing it every other day on average, it hasn't shut off once, not has it started past -3 seconds per day.

And if you're wondering whether or not you should pony up for the J variant, my wholehearted suggestion is to save your money. The only difference is that it says made in Japan on the dial. Most sources agree this is a marketing ploy and that they're not actually made in Japan. More importantly, they're of the exact same quality and design spec.
on July 1, 2016
I love this watch. It's a lot nicer than I expected it to be, and the pictures certainly do not do it justice. As with any decent automatic watch, as long as I keep wearing it, it keeps time quite well, and requires no batteries. It has a nice weight and is a good size for my wrist. I don't like watches that are very large, or small, and this one seems just right.

The watch body itself is very nice. The manufacturing is solid, there were no flaws, and it felt more substantial than I expected. It has a nice heft to it that feels high quality. The crystal is durable and so far hasn't scratched in day to day use for several months. The ring on the watch turns nicely and only in one direction, as it should. The winder has 2 very definitive clicks, and has good tactile feel when setting the watch. No mushy winder here.

The band is not as nice as I'd like, but it's functional, and doesn't look too bad. I may replace it in the future though.

This watch was so nice, that my girlfriend actually wanted one as well in a smaller size. Too bad I couldn't find an automatic women's diver from Seiko!

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase, and the value of this quality timepiece!
on January 22, 2015
Not much to add that hasn't already been said: this is the best/most recommended/most respected mechanical watch in its price range. Here are some gratuitous photos of it on a 22mm "Bond" Nato from Maratac.
Also and for what it's worth, this unregulated, Malaysia made auto (that specs at +/- 40 seconds a day) is running 10 seconds fast a day out of the box, not too shabby. If I had one complaint (and I do), it's that the chapter ring is not perfectly aligned with the dial (it's maybe half a mm rotated too far clockwise- not sure if you will be able to tell from the pics). Not a big enough deal to send it back to Japan, but it will bother my OCD until its first service nonetheless.
review image review image
on December 3, 2016
This is the 1st watch I've ever owned with the exception of a watch I had as a kid. So to be more specific its my first adult watch.
I read a lot websites and checked out a few blogs and the Seiko brand popped up more than a few times as an affordable, quality, respected watch maker. Most agreed if you need a professional watch to wear to work but aren't ready to spend $3000 + on that Omega you love or 5000+ on Rolex that says you've made it then this is the watch to own.
I've had it for a few weeks and its a great watch. My boss wears a Rolex among other watches and and has commented on the smoothness of the seconds hand, weight and quality of the watch.
Since its my first adult watch I have a limited frame of reference but I can agree the watch has great weight, keeps time accurately and is a quality time piece. The jublee band is comfortable but I'll be replacing it with an oyster band soon. Not for any additional functionality as the current band fits and clasps well with a nice double click upon clasping but because I prefer the look of the oyster band because of the more brutalist utilitarianism design.
For me the jublie band is a bit to light, and has a jewelry estetic that is mismatched with the actual watch.
This is a watch to be used and even if you are not a daily diver this watch can by your daily driver. It looks good with a pressed button down and a wrinkled T-shirts. The quality and design of the watch make it valuable but the price makes it usable. If it came off my wrist while fixing a flat tire I wouldnt cry about it but don't get my wrong I love this watch.
Furthermore, Robert Redford wears this watch in the movie All is Lost. The exact one he wears is actually this watches brother. The only difference is that watch has a red and blue Bezel and its referred to as the pepsi (model 009). Everything else is the same. If you don't know who Robert Redford is you need to watch more good movies. Amazon instant video is good for that too.
review image review image review image
on August 10, 2017
Get it. It's great. It's the honda civic of watches. There's a huge market for mods and aftermarket stuff. It's classy like a rolex submariner but instantly recognizable and not a rolex sub. Looks solid on an bracelet. Classy on black leather. Rugged on a coyote tan 5 ring Zulu. And just plain fun on soft grey silicone. If you're a watch enthusiasts, it's cheap enough to be a beater. If you're not a watch enthusiasts, its a great entry into mechanical watches.
The snobby watch forums I occasionally frequent love this thing but still manage to drum up vitriol for multi-thousand dollar watches. So it's even cool with the cool kids.
Hell, you can even mod it out to look like your dream omega, rolex, or tudor.
In short, buy it.
on October 29, 2014
Have been wearing it non-stop ever since I got it... It';s not a super expensive piece of jewelry, so I can wear it wherever and whenever and not worry about getting it banged up. However, the watch itself is absolutely pristine, in spite of me not taking particular care of it. The band has some scratches on the underside (where it rubs against my desk when I am typing... )

Classy, yet understated. Not too big, not too small. Fantastically comfortable (once the band is properly adjusted). Love that the crown is at an angle, so it doesn't stick out and rub on my back hand like my other watch does.

Also, I had heard horror stories about automatic watches lack of accuracy at keeping time. Mine is doing just fine at its job. Given that I travel to other timezones every couple weeks anyway, I need to change the time so I haven't had the chance to notice any major inaccuracy (might be a couple seconds off, but when it says 10h19, it's 10h19).

Also, as a side note, I thought the multilingual calendar is pretty nifty... it's not like I track the days of the week in Spanish anywa, but I find pretty cool that they've been able to figure that out mechanically)
on March 29, 2015
This watch is absolutely amazing! I wear it everyday to work (I am a medical intern), at home, and for outings (including special occasions).
The black bezel and clock face goes well with all wardrobes; the chain link is easily adjustable, comfortable, and durable; and it is both day and date (which is hard to find unless you want to spend thousands on an Omega or Rolex-type watch). My only gripe with this watch (and I'm being picky) is that it is not a glass-back (I like being able to look at the gear system of automatic watches); but given that this is a diver's watch, I understand. The day-date knob is easy enough to use, and the bezel has good resistance.

Best of all, the price is amazing! Seiko has always made great watches, and their quality hasn't declined over the years. All my colleagues think that this is a thousand dollar watch! I would highly recommend this watch.