Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 138 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 147 reviews
on January 18, 2016
I researched many watches looking for the features this watch has,in the $100 to $150 range....I wanted an easy to read dial, solar powered, with a black face. Never owned a solar watch, and have never owned an expansion band, (which I was a little apprehensive about) but decided on this one because of a great sale price, and it had all the features I was looking for. I am totally in love with this watch! For the money it is fantastic! A very nice looking and functioning watch.Quick easy to read dial, the solar function works perfectly (make sure you charge it up initially as they recommend)... this watch keeps perfect time. I have not had to adjust it since I purchased it. The expansion band was easy to adjust, looks great and is very comfortable. I don't understand why some reviewers had trouble sizing it, I found it very easy to adjust to my wrist. Great band. I really don't even know the watch is there. I agree with other reviewers the second hand is not really easy to see, but in the proper light I can see it fine when I need to. I don't really use the second hand much anyway so this was not a big deal to me. I can totally recommend this watch. If you are considering it, go for it, you shouldn't be
disappointed, I wasn't.
review image
on June 27, 2014
I was excited to receive this watch, however it is not so great when you actually receive it. The black face has some sort of starburst pattern which makes is very difficult to see in light, inside our outside. The red markings against the black background are also very difficult to read in any light . Finally, while the band is very easy to re-size it was just plain uncomfortable. Nice idea, bad in reality. If you want a railroad type watch, try the Pulsar white face, which I also bought, and has a significantly better band, and is much better to read.
on July 1, 2016
The watch is ok but the band is terrible -- too small for my average size wrist, no expansion links, expansion feature means it catches the hairs on your arm. I will replace the band. When I did a Google search for information about how to correct a Seiko watchband problem I came up with dozens of references to this watch -- it seems to be the poster child for bad watchbands.
on October 6, 2012
This watch is almost exactly what I was hoping for. I wanted a mens Seiko watch, to replace an existing Seiko watch that I have been wearing for 10 years. A defective replacement battery had leaked and destroyed it. I shopped for the simplest, smallest, watch that I could find with numbers on it. I had no desire, for the date window, as watches that I have owned in the past, the date window was too small to read. I was concerned ordering the expansion bracelet, as I had been very pleased with the conventional link bands on my previous watch. I was also skeptical about an expansion band because of the previous comments that I had read here. As it turns out, all is well. The dial face is easy to read, including the date window. I have a 8 inch around wrist, and the expansion band fits me perfectly with no alteration. I guess I lucked out, but I am very happy with all aspects of this watch. The only item that is questionable, is the psuedo latch in the band. It appears to be totaly cosmetic, as it doesn't really even open all of the way to provide ease in taking the watch off, but is not needed, because of the stretch nature of the band.
on February 25, 2017
I am in love with this watch. I have owned it for about a year now and love it as much as the day I first put it on my wrist. Seiko have produced a great watch for smaller wrists; mine is exactly 38mm in diameter. It has a wonderfully clear and easy dial to read. Given that it is Railroad Approved, it is also highly accurate. Over the course of a month, I find the watch loses between one and four seconds. Also, after spending just a single day out in the summer sun, the watch will be charged for 11 months. So, you'll never have to worry about charging this watch. If you are looking for a small, solar watch then here it is: this is just a wonderful watch. In its simplicity I find beauty. I'm sorry for being so over-the-top in my review, but I do really like this watch!

I can only suggest that you buy a strap for it. I never had any of the problems others did with the metal expansion band, but the SNE-179 looks much better on a strap regardless. The beveling on the lugs make them curve naturally into whatever strap you put it on. Personally, I like it on a black perlon/woven nylon strap. Also, this watch does have lume on the minute and hour hands, but it does not work very well if you've been in the dark for more than a few minutes. In conclusion, this watch is beautifully designed, accurate, comes with a day/date feature, and fits smaller wrists perfectly. The only improvements I can suggest would be to buy a strap and to wear it in the light.
on March 30, 2015
This watch works well. I've never had a problem with it keeping time. The numbers are large enough to be easily read. My only complaint is the band broke after 8 months. Not the pins, the actual band. I've never had a metal watch band fail, it's pretty dissappointing.
on March 17, 2014
This watch has a nice price tag but it is probably because the expansion bracelet is seen as a liability by many and I read somewhere that this model is no longer in production. I purchased a 20mm stainless bracelet to replace the Seiko expansion at the time of purchase.

This watch otherwise is very nice for the money. The black face is actually a very fine starburst style which is an interesting detail. The white Arabic font is highly contrasted and easy to see. I have mixed feelings about the smaller red numbers and second hand because on one hand they are not necessarily a priority when glancing to tell time but if you are interested in counting seconds it is somewhat hard to see.

Accuracy is excellent on this watch. I have yet to see what a month of time keeping is like for this unit but after a week (3 days of which under direct sunlight for several hours initial charge), this watch was fast by a couple seconds if that. Perhaps under normal wear this watch will be even more accurate.

A nit-pick of mine is that the second hand moves only in 1 second increments. I have a Seiko automatic that is much smoother as it counts each quarter second. The one second count on the subject watch may be a "Railroad Approved" criterion. As such this is a subjective concern for the customer.

In closing I would recommend potential buyers to consider the expansion bracelet issue of this watch. If the expansion is a deal breaker there is a similar watch made by Citizen. It has a black face, white Arabic font (no red) and comes with a green canvas strap and more water resistance (100m VS 30m) if that is a concern, for under $100 as of this writing. Seiko also makes other black faced military style solar watch models that come with stainless clasp bracelets. If you really like the red painted second hand and military digits, this watch is the way to go.

I bought the subject watch as an open box (returned) and scored it for under $70, so after purchasing an alternative bracelet I was still around the $100 range total. I am pleased overall.
on February 14, 2014
I purchased this Seiko solar powered expansion watch, because every watch I had previous needed a battery. And when I replaced the battery, the rubber seal around the back cover, which was to seal out water would never reseal correctly. And eventually the watch would get moisture inside. Now that I never have to replace a battery I should not have that problem.
One of the things I like about this Seiko watch, other than never needing to replace the a battery, is the expansion bracelet. If you have a very large wrist the watch might feel tight, but if you have a smaller wrist it is very easy to make the watch bracelet smaller. All of my other watches required the removal of links to make the bracelet smaller, but this bracelet slides in and hooks in place, very simple.
After letting the watch charge a few hours, it has kept perfect time. Changing the day and date was a little complicated, but I figured it out after a little trial and error. I would recommend this watch, and will purchase another when and if I need another watch.
on November 5, 2014
PoS died after 3 months. Amazon do not care as is more than a month, and Seiko claim it out of warranty so want $85 to fix an $80 watch. At about $1 a day, I could have gone to a dollar store every week and saved money. Well done Amazon and Seiko for exceptionally poor customer service.

Update -- after a month Seiko fixed the watch under warranty, so got the watch back and did not have to pay, except in time. Will upgrade to 4 stars, as while I love the watch (it's a 5 star product), butthe initial customer service was annoying. Watch was fixed and returned to me with the correct date and time, which was a nice touch.
on January 16, 2016
Watch is what I expected and the band is quite comfortable. Appears to be accurate so far.
The red second hand is difficult to see in dim light, but time is very easy to read and that's what counts.
Not sure if my watch is really new. It was sent from an Amazon fulfillment center, not by a third-party seller.
Watch did not have a plastic insert to support the band nor did it have thin plastic protecting the face, but here was plastic covering the shiny part of the band. Packaging suggested that the watch had been either used or otherwise handled before sending it to me
Also, the watch was running. If it had been really new, the watch should have needed charging in bright light.
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.