Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Beautiful watch! I removed two links to make it fit my 8" wrist, so there's lots of wiggle room to re-size this watch band. This is a nice watch and it's worth what you'll pay for re-sizing the band if you need a jeweler to do it. Gorgeous dial and face. I like the deeply recessed crown at 4:00, that way I don't have the crown sticking out at 3:00 that will rub my wrist and/or the back of my hand. I've just received it today, re-sized it, registered it with Seiko. I expect nothing less than the accuracy of an automatic watch (BTW they only stay wound for 40 hours) and the usual Seiko watch quality in mechanism and finish of this watch.
on February 24, 2012
I own a book called "Celebrity Watches." It is essentially glorified advertising, but it is replete with great photographs of watches and some of the people who made them famous. The usual suspects are there--Rolex, IWC, etc.... Each chapter gives you a brief history of the watchmakers, how their watches are made, how they have evolved. It's a good coffee-table book.

I don't know when it was exactly that I realized that I liked my Seiko 5 "Speed Racer" more than any of those in the photographs, but I did. (Yeah, yeah--my budget maybe helped, but still...)

So many timepieces these days are all about the bling, and even the high-end brands make vulgar clunkers. Instead, the Seiko 5 has, thank God, eschewed this pompous aesthetic: its dial clocks in at 39 mm. Not too big, not too small. Similarly, the watch has weight, but it is very comfortable. I know some guys prefer leather bands, but I prefer the metal bracelets, and this one is really nice: again, comfortable, easy to adjust. It manages to call just enough attention to be noticed, but not enough to be flashy. The deployment clasp is solid and, unlike some, easily snaps on or off without ever irritating the skin on your wrist.

There is a subtle elegance to this watch that is really only noticeable in the details. For example, I see that Hamilton makes a similar looking watch: black dial, close in size, steel bracelet... but the crown of the Hamilton is at the 3 o'clock position. The Seiko's crown is low and tucked in at 4 o'clock. This makes it extremely comfortable for people like me who wear a watch on their left hand; the crown never digs into the back of your hand.

Some watches are hard to read in sunlight because of the glare, but the markings on this watch stand out from the black dial, and the hands are readily visible. I especially like the sweeping red second hand.

I wash dishes with the watch on, and so it has gotten wet, and I have never had any problems with it. It should actually be waterproof, but I don't swim much, and I probably would not take a metal watch into a pool anyway.

From the pictures you can see that the underside of the watch allows you to see the actual mechanism, which is a great feature. Before this watch, I had always owned quartz/battery driven watches. I wasn't sure if I would like having a mechanical watch. Yeah, no need to replace batteries is nice, but I was worried about sacrificing precision. Having read other reviews, I took a chance. My experience has been similar to that of others: this watch is within 3-4 seconds per day. Moreover, sometimes it gains those few seconds, sometimes it loses them. So, in the end, I never have to adjust the time. In fact, I haven't reset the watch since I received it.

So all of this got me to thinking about the book, the famous luxury brands, etc., and I am convinced that the only reason the Seiko 5 is not to be found in the book is its price. Seiko makes an excellent, dependable and aesthetically superior product, and it is spurned only because it is within the reach of most people.

Sadly, this is the only reason I can think of for not including this watch in the book, or for buying it. This watch is sharp, sporty and reliable. I love it, and if you like what you see in the pictures, then purchase it. It is even better in hand.
on July 13, 2011
I have to say, I feel that my money was well spent on this watch. It looks good, and it functions good. A tad smaller than what I expected but it has a nice look to it, especially with the red/grey streak.
When I received the box, the case it came in was pretty messed up, but the watch itself was fine. Upon looking at the watch, I was impressed with its movement, which is not as nice as my Invicta but does the job. I have to note also that the rotar for the watch is a tad noisy if you're in a dead quite room; but nothing too noticeable besides that. It keeps pretty good time too if worn daily.
The band...how to start...was a serious pain to deal with as I didn't want to take it to a jeweler and I didn't have the right tools. If you buy this watch and want to adjust the band for yourself, look at the bottom of this link and it will explain how:
[..]
One of the features I live the most is the lume on this baby. It is by far better than most of my watches as it requires so little light exposure for it to last all night. It was really I pleasant surprise.
Overall though, the watch is a worth while investment if your simply want a work watch or something like that. It's casual and goes pretty much with everything. Just in case the price changes, I paid $56.99 for it if you want to know.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 26, 2011
while i have a few seiko 5's, this is the very first one ive bought new. the rest were very used and old.
that said let me tell why im so impressed. first the case. its the perfect size and polished except for the top of the lugs which are brushed. this looks great and was done without a single flaw that i can find. the lens is flat and should hold up well. the case back is transparent and is a neat feature if you want to enthrall small children ,Amish,or any lost tribesmen you may happen across. another neat thing is the crown. its at 4 o'clock and inset a bit. i love that because it keeps the crown out of the way and protected.
the band was well made but i put a leather one on because thats what i do. the internal lug width is 18mm.
the face of the watch is well done and nicely detailed and the lume is impressive for this price range. when my alarm clock goes off at 4:30 in the morning i can still read the time on this watch. not too shabby.
accuracy- i wore this to work for 5 days straight and it gained a total of 6 seconds. this is way beyond what anyone could ever ask for with a mechanical watch.
the only downside i could ever dream up with this watch is water resistance. i would like to see a 100m model but i dont see this being an issue with me.
on March 7, 2014
Amazing watch, it is a Seiko after all. I love the Seiko brand, but yet I am not biased. This is my everyday watch, it goes through what I go through during my day. This movement is used in many of the brand's watches, and that's good because it keeps excellent time throughout daily wear. I have found that if you don't wear it during the day and you want it to keep time you should shake it for about 20 seconds so it's ready for you the next day. I have had many compliments on this watch even though I got it cheap here on Amazon. The band is super comfortable and I recommend this watch to anybody who wants a great looking watch that doesn't ever need a battery and looks great.
on June 2, 2015
If you don't know if you want an automatic watch, but this one first. Its very affordable, and looks great, other than the band is made of folded steel rather than solid cast, which means when you look at the band from the side, you can tell the band is cheap. Other than that it keep great time, and works very well considering its a real automatic under $100
on December 22, 2011
Seiko SNK375K Review:

I'm a watch hound, and have always heard good things about Seiko Automatics. After receiving mine from Amazon this week, I am pleased to be so...pleased. The watch looks great in person, and the automatic movement is much more impressive in terms of accuracy, form and function than some watches I have browsed that have cost 3-4 times as much. The band's material is a bit on the unimpressive side, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this watch a 5 star rating.

If you are looking for an automatic for less than $200, you really can't do much better than Seiko. I really like mine, and expect it to become a favorite.
on January 1, 2014
I read a review that said the dial is smaller than the purchaser expected. And I must say, they were RIGHT :-)

It's a very nice watch - I like it and will keep it.... good quality, nice appearance... Just smaller than most mens watches nowadays.
on January 30, 2016
Overwhelming value. Arrived on time & as described
on January 8, 2014
It's been a long time since I had a Seiko on my wrist so when I decided to purchase an automatic watch I chose this Seiko. Good choice…..looks great & operates very well. Money well spent.