Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 885 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 948 reviews
on March 26, 2016
I have owned this watch for about 2 weeks now. This watch looks alot better in person. Buying this watch i knew it was small in diameter and it surprised me in how well it looks on my wrist. Although it is small is still has a very masculine and stylish look and feel. this is my first automatic watch and i am very satisfied with my purchase. I did how ever purchase a new strap for it as i feel the cream/tan of the face combined with the original strap makes the watch look cheap and dull. I replaced it with a Hadley Roma MS854 18mm. The watch looks superb now. The leather strap really brought out the face more, it makes for an excellent combo that can be worn for many occasions. If you really want to up your style this watch can do just that.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2014
At a glance, the beige face and beige strap of this particular Seiko 5 might seem pretty blah looking when compared to its black, blue and green faced brothers in the SNK80 line, but when it comes to combining it with different straps, I think the beige face actually gives it more versatility, and pairing it with a leather band like the Hadley-Roma Chestnut as seen here [...]) gives it a classic, almost old-fashioned look that elevates it to a level of classiness that the others would be hard-pressed to attain.

Get this one and a new band, and I promise you won't be disappointed.
on May 24, 2017
OK, 1st off, you'll almost certainly need to read the instruction manual that comes with this to set the day/date readout. DON'T WIND THE STEM, this thing is designed to *solely* autowind, so to start it up you need to swing it side to side for about 30secs: after that, put it on & normal wrist movement is supposed to keep it wound. Downside for me is that now I'm afraid to take it off at night like I normally would; a powered "watch winder" station is in my future [that's ok, this is my 2nd mech autowinding watch, so I'll need one anyway...]

A handsome watch, but kind of a small dial [that would have been considered a normal, man's size watch a couple decades ago, but I guess Flava Flave changed all that with his kitchen clock sized pendant?] Hard to see the inner circle of numbers, but anyone who can read an analog dial should already know they're 12 at the top, 1, 2, 3, etc.. The bonus is the outer dial of tix for the sweep second hand has legible 5, 10, 15 increments. Yeah, presbyopia is a beeyatch... :-\ ;-)

Watch band is a comfortable canvas w/ leather hole reinforcements, and like all standard watch bands, a little on the short side for us average-sized American males [6'+, 200#+] so I'm one hole in from the absolute longest setting, with barely enough tab to tuck under one of the two keepers. I'll probably take some pliers to the spare keeper at some point, just to prevent it snagging on things or driving me batty, but it's cool that Seiko makes them out of steel [since the keeper failing is usually the reason I wind up replacing a watch band before I would otherwise have to do so...]

Haven't tested this thing's water-resistance yet, but it's been my experience that any watch that's not actually dive rated [100m resistance minimum] is going to fail under normal hydro exposure, so I don't plan on wearing this into the water if I can possibly avoid it. Besides, wet watch bands are horribly uncomfortable against the skin, so just take the thing *off* before you shower, m'kay?

Hands & divisions on the dial are luminescent treated, but it's not the old radioactive stuff from b4 I was born, so it's useless under most conditions of real darkness, but the hands are white w/ black edges, so I'm hoping that the next time I'm out riding the moto I'll still be able to make things out by the streetlight illumination. It's got to be better than any of my other non-Timex Indiglo watch faces, anyway!
on July 16, 2015
I have never been a watch person. The only watches I have worn are digital, and pretty ugly looking. Recently, I have started upgrading my style. I decided to take a peek around for watches. The thing that struck me about this watch was the simple face. No frills, look down and you have the time, day of week, and date. Simple, effective, bold. The watch strap is only there until you get another one, it's that simple. Do your watch a favor and give it a nice NATO or leather strap. I got a really nice burgundy leather strap on eBay for $20. I have been wearing it for a few days and already got a few compliments. Nobody can believe this is a $50 watch.
review image
on August 6, 2016
I gave this watch 4 stars because I like it, but the jury's still out a bit on it from a dependability standpoint. I bought this watch to have in case my Citizen Eco-Drive of similar design stopped working. I'd had the Citizen for about 3 years, and it would occasionally just stop. I didn't think it was the battery / solar charging system because when it would stop, I couldn't advance the time with the winder past a certain point because the calendar would act like it was hanging up somehow. I'd mess around with it- winding it backwards, forwards, just the date, etc, until it would go again, but I didn't want to be stuck without a watch, so I figured for $50, how do you go wrong with a brand name mechanical watch? When the Seiko arrived I rotated it in a circle for about a minute to get it started with the winding process (you can't use the stem to wind this model), and put it on. I really like the look of it, so I decided to put my Citizen in a south facing window to get several hours of sunlight a day to fully charge it, and just wear the seiko every day. I was impressed with it's accuracy right away. I didn't do an exact calculation, but it seems to generally gain about 2 minutes a week, maybe a little less than that, which is fine as far as I'm concerned. I rarely have to be anywhere at any exact second. It also seems to be well built. My wife and I have horses and I occasionally get bounced around on one of them, or on a tractor, or running through a field trying to get one to go where I want it to rather than where it wants to go, and it's never had any issues that I could see. The problem is that in the 3 months I've owned it, at least twice it's just stopped cold. I don't think it was from lack of winding since manually rotating the watch in a circle gave me the sound of the winding mechanism working, but no movement at all from the second hand. On each occasion I ended up taking the watch and smacking it firmly (but not too hard) against the side of my hand, and both times it started right up. Last time I did that was about a month ago, and it hasn't stopped since, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was something that's been rectified in the break in process. The only part of the watch I'm a little disappointed in is the luminous hands and dots at the hour markers. They're not bad, but the material used in the Citizen is definitely better. The Citizen can be read in the dark several hours after the light's been turned off, while the Seiko loses most of it's luminosity after an hour. I have to admit though that there's just something classic about a mechanical watch, and sometimes it's just fun to watch the sweep second hand go around the dial. Battery operated watches just don't provide that fascination value.
on June 13, 2017
I wanted to try out an automatic movement watch without breaking the bank on a luxury model, and this Seiko fits the bill perfectly. The dial is a classic military aviator (flieger) design, with printed Arabic numbering, applied Seiko 5 logo, classic sword profile minute and hour hands outlined in black, and a red-tipped needle shaped second hand. Each hand has a large area of lume for easy night visibility, though the tiny dots at each hour are a little harder to make out, and there is no unique lume mark for 12 o'clock.

The case is a relatively small (by modern standards) at 38mm, but the bezel is not overly large and the watch still wears nicely on the wrist. The case finishing is plain bead-blasted stainless, which feels appropriate to the military aesthetic of the watch. For mechanical watch neophytes, the clear display case back is a nice touch. While there's no luxury heritage or fancy finishing to speak of to the movement, it's still a bone fide automatic mechanical Seiko, for (well) under $100, and being able to see it at work is part of the appeal.

Despite that low cost, this watch keeps good time for an automatic; mine is currently running about -4 sec/day. For context, that's within the tolerances for Swiss COSC-certified mechanical chronometers.

The band that comes with the watch is a simple (synthetic?) beige canvas, that resembles (but is not) a NATO strap, with bead-blasted metal fittings that match the case. It's functional, but I almost immediately replaced it with an 18mm dark brown leather band from Barton:BARTON Quick Release Top Grain Leather Strap
This definitely improved the look of the watch, and the total cost was still less than $80.

Bottom line: a great introductory automatic watch, with classic field styling, at an unbeatable price point. Oh, and it comes in 4 color schemes too, if white/cream isn't your thing.
on July 7, 2017
First of all, you can't hack the seconds hand or hand wind the movement. With that being said, this is a great watch for the price. I give it a few shakes and the movement starts up; but I have to shake it for a good 30 seconds or the watch will not keep time properly. When fully wound, I noticed it has a power reserve of almost 2 days, which is more than enough if you want to take it off to go to sleep or to shower. Water resistance on this watch has always been ambiguous. Some will tell you 100m, others will say 30m. It is 30m. The band is comfortable but a bit annoying to put on since it's a tight fit through the metal loops so I replaced it with a leather band. It keeps time pretty well from what I can tell, but I don't wear the same watch too many days in a row so I eventually have to reset the time anyway; so inaccuracy doesn't bother me that much. Some people say that this watch is a hit or miss, but I think the people that receive a "miss" just don't know much about the watch to use it properly. When I first got the watch, I didn't wind it enough and after two hours the watch was already 8 minutes behind. But once I figured out that I had to wind it more, it stayed accurate. The watch is great for the price point, and you even get a proven workhorse movement (7s26). The reasons I knocked a star are: (1) the watch rattles when the rotor spins to wind it, which is a bit unsettling until you get used to it, and (2) the seconds hand actually moves backwards when you are adjusting the time in a counterclockwise direction, but this can be a plus since you can use this trick to hack the seconds hand.

Last remarks:
Adjusting day and date is faster and easier than all of my high-end swiss watches (ie rolex, breitliing, etc).
The crown is a bit difficult to pull out if you don't have nails.
It takes a while to get used to seeing the minutes indices outside of the hours indices, but it makes more sense if you think about it (minutes hand is longer).
This is a great homage of the Laco Type B.
Lume is decent, obviously not as good as a diver.
Discrete size.
With such a cheap price and free returns (with prime), you can't go wrong with at least trying the watch if you are considering getting it.
on June 17, 2017
I am very happy with this little "Fleiger style" watch, particularly with it's dial, which compares to any that I have seen in the affordable watch space. The dial has a great deal of well composed detail, this is subtle and hard to see in photographs. In person this very inexpensive watch actually looks high-end.

It is indeed a small watch, 36.5 mm; be aware of that. It's cute as a button, and not much bigger. I have to adjust a bit after wearing this watch to a feeling that my other watches are clownishly large.

Of the 5 different models in the SNK80x series, I recommend this one. This model has a different "color scheme", not just a different colored dial. Notice the black outlining of the handset (the others all have monochromatic handsets). The slender ring between the edge and center of the watch, providing separation between the hours and minute numerals, is gold on this model, but black or white on the other models. The lighter dial provides a background that allows similar adjacent colors of the silver Seiko logo and golden '5" numeral to appear more distinctly, and this cream- light-beige tone also nicely complements the pale green color of the 'super-luminova' application around the dial and on the handset. These, and other little subtleties of the color scheme implemented for the SNK803, add sophistication to the dial that I don't find in the other models. The choice between the models is subjective, of course, and if only black will do, then by all means, get the black version. But the 803 model makes use of color in a way that adds refinement, and puts it over the top for me!

Note: many photographs of this model make it appear that the color is a darker, brownish yellow. The dial doesn't really shift in color as such photos suggest. The first photo of the listing is pretty close to the comparatively light, creamy-beige, actual color.

I like the stainless steel case. It has an interesting multi-layered construction, with the top part having the sand-blasted finish and the bottom (as well as the sides between the lugs) being highly polished. The round bezel formed out of the top section simulates a third layer. The case's sleek lines and tiered geometry contribute significantly to the SNK803's visual appeal.

This watch has Seiko "Super Luminova" (sic) applied to small pips around the dial, and on the hands. I think it's the same compound Seiko uses on other models; it's quickly responsive to charging by a light source, and glows very brightly at first. The initial light-show is very pretty. However, not much surface area is allotted for lume on this watch, so the brightness seems to fade a little faster than on models with more copious amounts of SuperLume, such as Sieko's dive watches.

This is a "Seiko 5 Sports" watch. "5 Sports" is actually a specification for 5 features - i. automatic movement, ii. Day, iii.Date, iv shock resistance and v. water resistance. The basic idea is that Seiko 5 Sports models should be rugged and suitable for outdoor activities. The low cost of these SNK80x models makes them attractive as 'beater' watches, and I've watched reviews on Youtube from people who who attest to the outstanding durability of this watch, after having worn them for years while working in physically demanding, outdoorsy professions

However, water resistance on this model may be a little questionable. It's specified as "water resistant" on the case-back, which I think corresponds to 30 Meters. This is the most minimal water resistance level, just above "not water resistant at all". Seiko is pretty good about testing and actually meeting their specifications, including those for water resistance, but I've heard some reports specific to this model that suggest it may not represent Seiko's best (as far as making the case water resistant).. It's not designed for extended submersion under water, etc. Also - the canvas strap doesn't seem very compatible with aquatic adventure; seems likely to get mildew.
...speaking of the strap, I have trouble understanding all the bitching and moaning about it in other reviews. I think it's a pretty good strap, It looks good with the watch. But I haven't had the watch long enough to know how it holds up or whether it becomes uncomfortable.

This watch contains an "un-adjusted" Seiko 7S26 movement. This movement's strong point is that it continues to run reliably, just about as accurately, for a very long time before requiring service - typically well over 12 years. Up to 20+ is quite possible. Some people claim to have Seiko watches from the 60s (with very similar movement inside) that are still running beautifully without ever visiting a watch maker (50+ years!).

Accuracy varies; unregulated movement, so a bit of a 'crap shoot'. The movement is very similar to those used in many newer, mid-tier Seiko 5s, (the 4R3x) but for some reason the 7S26 seems to have somewhat less consistent time-keeping. Most are quite decent, but there are some stinkers, as Seiko QA will allow them as far off as -35 to +45 sec/day. ~85% of these will be accurate to within -20 to +20 sec/day, and most better than that. I base this on on my own collection, some research, and reviews I've read.

The movement has a power reserve of 43 hours. It's a good idea to test this shortly after purchase - once in a while there are problems with the rotor winding system, or mainspring/barrel assembly, resulting in limited power reserve -- these things are defects, cause for a return w/refund or repair under warranty. The "automatic" winding system should work well enough to get the watch completely would up after a day or two of full time wear. Swinging the watch gently and not too rapidly from side to side, face up, parallel to the ground, about 200 mm from side to side, can wind the watch up fully in a little over 5 minutes, I've found.

The 7S26 movement does not support manually winding with the crown, nor 'hacking', which means the second hand stopping when the crown is fully extended. These are convenient features that Seiko neglected to add to this entry level movement.
I've gotten used to it, as I have couple models with 7Sx6 movements. I'm willing to take a couple extra minutes to prepare these for wearing. Most people probably aren't as picking about making sure the watch is wound before setting the time, but I like to try to keep the watch as acurate as possible, and find just shaking it a few times isn't going to give the watch enough power to run optimally (till it's been worn for quite a while), so I 'wind them up' for a while by the method just described.

It's actually possible, also, to set the watch accurate to the second, even without hacking. If you rotate the crown a little bit backwards and stop, it will "pin" the second hand (stop it's movement). You have to continue putting a little pressure on the crown in the reverse direction till the real time catches up to the second hand. This doesn't work if the watch is almost fully wound. Sometimes the second hand starts going backwards - this is OK, and speeds up the the process of synchronized with time. It doesn't hurt the watch. Called "back hacking" it's a common practice.

Final thoughts: I think the true value of this watch exceeds the MSRP of $185.00. I was lucky enough to notice it listed on sale, brand new, for $33.00 USD. I couldn't resist at that price.

I honestly think it's a more attractively designed piece than most of the other Seiko watches in my collection, some of which cost me 10x more!

The low prices typical for the SNK-80x line are a bit weird. If one compares other small, 7S2x based Seiko 5 Sports watches ranging in price between $60-125 on Amazon, though most have good qualities, it's difficult to find one even in the same ball park, as regards distinctive detail and beautiful composition of this watch. Why is this Seiko's least expensive automatic watch?. I don't think there is a good answer to that question. It should not be!

Is this the best watch for under $120.00? It's on the 'short list'. For those willing to pay around $100.00 or a bit more, I think some other brands also offer great value:

Swatch's Sistem51 -- movement is windable but not hackable, very accurate with huge power reserve of 90 hours. I have some hesitation about recommending Swatch though - the company seems to make a deliberate effort to make sure you 'only get what you pay for', as Swatch would prefer that you move on to one of the high end brands they own, Tissot, Hamilton, Mido, Omega, etc. So one often finds the Swatch models tend to be a little incomplete somehow -- toy like, fun, not entirely serious products. 'You have to pay more for that, you know...' Still, I think they goofed a little with the Sistem51 movement. It's much better than people think, with comparable accuracy and much longer power reserve than almost any Swatch group luxury watch. Swatch accidentally made some watches that really provide the consumer a lot of value, watches that are better, at least in some respects, than other models costing much more.. If you get one of these, you might not be left hankering for something, as Swatch intends, but instead find yourself pretty damn satisfied by what you got...They compounded their error recently by coming out with the Irony versions in stainless steel cases, and also having some models with good bands and bracelets. Oh my! The Irony models are about 3x the price of the SNK80x. I got one recently, and I love it.

Invicta's Pro Diver series, (43mm models, around $115, have high quality super-lume, & generally better build quality compared to the less expensive 8026 & like variants around $85) I also like the new automatic I-Force autos. . Invicta automatics consistently have hacking, winding movements; in fact the Seiko 4R35 /6 A movement, which is a step up from the 7S26 in this SNK803.

For $65.00 or less, the only remotely comparable wrist watch would be an Orient '3 Star'. These are similar in size to the SNG80x, and excellent little watches, but I've not seen one with the elegance of the Seiko SNK80x. Orient's in-house movement is very good though, probably more precise than the Sieko 7S26. The Orient movement is based on an earlier Seiko caliber, the predecessor to the 7S26, to which Orient made modifications intended to improve accuracy.

Some might mention Vostok; OK, but I think they look like old bottle caps. If you are into DYI projects, as is definitely required to convert them into something that's not hideous looking, or if you don't mind that they are hideous looking, a Vostok might be of interest . But I am not even slightly tempted to buy one!

To my eyes, for watches between $50-$85, the Seiko SNK80x is like a Swan among ugly ducks. This is subjective I know. I'd go further, I think SNK80x's attractiveness outshines everything (I've ever seen) under $100-$110. It's one of the most reliable watches available. Being a beautiful piece, and at the same time such a robust tool watch makes it very attractive to me and possibly to others looking for a great watch on a budget..

Watch hobbyists have a saying, you hear it all the time: 'You can never go wrong with a Seiko'. This statement is meaningful. Their products have consistent high quality, at all price points. The quality is subtle, in the materials used, in the finishing of the case, the quality of the crystals, the long lasting brightness of the substance applied to hands and markers to illuminate the the watch in the dark, and the distinctive approach taken to each model, making it unique and in it's own way, unlike any other. The high quality is hard to see in on-line photographs, and Seiko watches almost always seem a lot nicer when you "meet them in person". I think this is part of the 'you can't go wrong' stuff. If you kinda like the on-line photos of a Sieko, but maybe aren't sure, you are not going to be disappointed with the actual watch. You will often adore it, immediately when you actually see it, and at the least not be disappointed.
on June 15, 2017
It is a very nice watch. It is very good looking and it has nice beach feel to it. And the fact that its automatic and water resistant makes it almost perfect except its too small for me. The materials are very nice for a 60 dllr watch and I would encourage anyone to buy it after making sure it fits them right. I'm more used to larger watches on me cos I'm on the... heftier side of the scale so small watches don't particularly look good on me (I feel) so I am keeping it because I have a thing for nice watches, but I don't think I'll be wearing it other than when I go to the beach (and that won't be to often cos the closest one is 12hrs away) so it won't be seeing too much use which in a way I guess is a good thing cos it'll last me a long time. If you're a smaller person this watch might work well for you though and consider that I am 5'10" and weigh 200lbs. This would be a better watch for someone around 5'-5'6" tall and 120-150lbs. Unless you like the thin small watch look on you
on February 24, 2016
In truth, I can't really say anything negative about my new Seiko, having worn it for a couple of months now. Everything that needs to be said has been in other reviews, but I'll reiterate what I find important.

First, the size is perfect for me. I have a smaller wrist, and most watches are too big to be comfortable for me. This watch, on the other hand (hey, pun!), is just about the right size. If your wrist is larger, you might look into the Chronograph model, but for a 7" wrist, this fits perfectly.

As for durability, I can't speak to that yet. I know it's held up well so far to the occasional knock and bump, but I'm generally fairly gentle on my wrist wear - I take them off when I do anything strenuous like automotive work. It's held up well in the drink, though. been soaked through a couple times in the rain or reaching into the sink without noticing I was still wearing it, and no fog or other water-related maladies have befallen it. Yet to swim with it, though, and hope to keep it that way.

The last thing I want to talk about is the accuracy of the movement. This watch is phenomenal. I switched to manual watches about 8 years ago, and automatics about 4 years ago. My manual watch was fairly accurate for the most part. My first Automatic was a Kennith Cole watch. It was accurate to a point, in that it gained time so reliably - almost a minute to the second per day - that you could set your watch by it (hey, another pun!). This watch has been considerably more accurate - in the first Month of wearing it, I lost maybe 20 seconds. In a Month. What I'm saying is, Seiko got their movement right. I've been considerably impressed by the accuracy of this watch over the term that I don't even question it at this point. Whereas my two previous watches left me wondering whether or not I'd reset it recently enough for them to still be accurate, this one just ticks along to the time.

In short, if you're looking for a dependable, accurate, durable watch for a smaller wrist, this would probably be your best choice. Throw a leather band on, and it's a watch that dresses up well enough to wear to the office.

Also, if you're reading these reviews to help decide, just click the button. It's about time. (I'll see myself out.)