Lyft BCA Month Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 9, 2015
I'm giving this a five star rating for the watch itself. The strap is a steaming pile. I'm new to this whole mechanical watch thing, so I was looking at bang for the buck. I like military/aviator style watches and this one seemed to fit the bill on the checklist. I have to say, when it arrived, I was surprised for so little money you'd get such a nice timepiece. The box and little pillow are nice. This would make a great gift for a nerdy kid. There are a ton of other reviews, so I'll just get down to what I like: The lume is powerful enough that I can read the watch all night long without having to charge it under a light. If I wake up at 4:45 am, I can see that's what time it is. The watch is quiet in operation. I do hear the jingle jangle of the rotor in the back swinging around with my arm when I move sometimes, but it's not annoying. My particular watch is very accurate. I've had it running for three weeks now and it has lost 14 seconds. I took the strap off of mine as soon as I got it and made one out of leather, so my photos are not representative of the strap that comes with it. The strap that comes with it is really thin and cheap feeling. I'd feel guilty using the strap that came with it as a collar for a feral cat, let alone my wrist. My only personal complaint of the watch is that it seems a bit small on me, but fashion comes and goes and changes. It's big enough that it doesn't look goofy. If I wasn't married, I'd immediately buy the other colors so I had one to go with every outfit.
review image review image review image review image
1111 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2017
This is truly a great automatic watch for the money. Probably the least amount you can spend to step into the world of automatic watches. Clear open back so you can see the internals. Feels good on the wrist. And it has true heritage of the Seiko 5 line going back to the 60's. It comes in at 37mm. That is probably my only hit on this watch. Its a bit small for my wrist. Will probably give to my son. If you want a little larger watch then look at the Seiko SNZG15. Almost same watch but its 43mm I believe. You truly cannot go wrong with this watch. People may equate low price with cheap quality. That is not the case here. There is a solid EDC (every day carry) automatic watch you can get for the money. True watch line with horology.
on August 12, 2017
I only bought this watch really for its second hand when I work at a hospital. So I'm not exactly sure how good the time it keeps is however it's not a problem I can simply reset it everyday. The watches interesting it looks durable. The picture doesn't quite do it justice as its back piece is glass and shows you all the inter workings. I was very glad I found this because no store I visited near me was able to sell me an automatic watch for a reasonable price. Every store I visited either only sold battery-operated watches for the exact same price or reselling Rolexes for $2,500. My only complaint and it's a nothing one is that afternoon the day of the week is displayed as something different than it was in the morning not sure what this is but it's not much trouble. And if you have big hands it should still fit you I do.
on July 16, 2015
I've been wearing this watch for a few weeks now and it's perfect! It's only about 15 seconds off (if that) from those few weeks of use. I tend to abuse things I own due to all of the outdoor activities I do, but there's not a single scratch anywhere on the watch. I know of at least 6-8 times where I've accidentally bashed it on doorways, car door, etc. and each time I look down at the watch expecting a huge scuff or even a tiny scratch, but no. I actually just brought it canoe camping down the Wisconsin River for 2 days this past weekend and it withstood the elements. I did take if off when I went swimming just to be safe, but there were several times when my fishing line was snagged on a submerged log, and I reached into the water for 20+ seconds trying to dislodge it (those Rapala's aren't cheap) from the canoe with the watch underwater and no problems.

I've read comments from reviewers who said the "lum" wasn't great but my watch stays brightly illuminated all night. From 10pm until about 5am, it stays lit (both the hands and the hour markers). I do agree with many other commenters regarding the cheap band that comes with it. I hated it at first but now it's growing on me. I was going to immediately replace it with a leather band (which I still plan on doing since I'll be attending a wedding next month and would like to fancy it up a bit) but I kind of like the green band. The first day I wore it I brought it out fishing and over the course of 3 hours, I already had a run in the material. Later that evening I took a lighter to it (to burn away any runs and loose ends and it's significantly tougher now. Haven't had a problem since, and you can't even see a difference.

I bought this watch because I initially bought a Timex Expedition but couldn't stand the ridiculously loud ticking. For those of you saying it's not that bad... maybe I just have superhuman hearing but I returned it the same day. I then did some research and found this watch. It has a unique ticking to it that you can really only hear if you put your ear up to it. Otherwise, I don't hear it at night while sleeping, or at work in a quiet office.

Overall, I'd say this watch is perfect and absolutely deserves 5 stars. Also, it took me 30 seconds to set the time, day of week, and date (and I've never owned a non-digital watch before.. except for the Timex Expedition which I returned the same day). So don't let other reviewers fool you. It's pretty self explanatory. I highly recommend this watch to anyone who is awesome. For 50 bucks... You're getting much more than what you're paying for
on November 6, 2015
UPDATE:
Purchased a second watch through amazon hoping the first was a lemon (and it would cost more to fix than to replace). Well the second watch lasted 4 months before dying of the same issue as the first. Purchased 11/17/15 and died 3/16/16 when the rotor came loose (over the past week or so). As of right now the watch has lost two hours today but is still ticking. I have worn this watch 24/7 other than showers/swimming so no reason it shouldnt be winding. Too bad Seiko will not warranty because Amazon isnt an authorized seller! Time to find a different watch to try, or maybe go back to a digital Timex.

ORIGINAL:

Purchased this watch about 9 months ago from Amazon. In that time I loved the watch (looks great, fantastic price, kept time well) and it would require setting the time every few days (ran fast) but i never took it off and enjoyed it thoroughly. About 48 hours ago it started rattling and the rotor came loose. I took it to a local jeweler who quoted me to repair but it would far exceed the price of the watch itself. It stopped ticking last night and i am at a loss about how to proceed. Seiko will not warranty any purchases through an online retailer including amazon. Amazon will not accept the watch back due to the time since ordering. Do I test my luck with another, repair, or just go back to a digital Timex.....
on August 11, 2014
As an entry, this PDF should be read alongside the booklet that comes in the box: http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/snk809/seiko-7s26-manual.pdf That is for assuring how to take good care of it. This "INITIAL" review (wore them for only a week now) will work for both Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805 (Green) and SNK809 (Black). They share a story (At the end). These watches are, at the price I bought them ($50 each) A BARGAIN! For an automatic watch, these are just missing few seconds per day (5-7). The strap is a bit cheap, but it is OK for the price of the machinery (7s26C), which is outstanding. Improvements on this calibre (C variety) means that now the parts are exchangeable with other Seiko 5 (7S2X/7S3X/4R15/4R3X/6R15 as I'm aware). I'll update this review after 1 month to watch for consistency.

Been coveting this watch for over one year now. My girlfriend saw me (finally) buying the SNK809 and she liked it (she likes military-like gear), so asked me to buy the SNK805 for her, she'd pay for it. When they arrived, she wore it and... didn't like it because of its weight (she's used to small, plastic quartz watches) and the fact that it stood still (didn't wind it). So... she gave it to me as a gift! Lucky me! :)
on March 20, 2016
What must a wristwatch do to earn five stars? In reality, keep time well, look good and be durable. I've only had the watch for a week, so I will address style and function. It does look good! I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the well appointed box at what I found. A stylish, casual watch. The green color is very neutral and goes with whatever I wear. I like the dark face and light hands, so just a glance gives you the time. The band is very nicely made, although I am not sure that the band will be as long lasting as the watch. I did get some salad dressing (oil and vinegar base) on it, and it wiped right off not leaving discoloration. The watch is a matte stainless and looks great.

I set the time to my cell phone and after a week it appears to keeping time perfectly. I like the day/date option, especially being retired and sometimes not having reference to the day or the date!

About the only think I think is a bit nuts is that the large numbers are the minutes and inside in smaller numbers is the hour. I'm sure there is a reason for this.

To let you know where I'm coming from, my expensive....and I do mean expensive, watch of 25 years broke and the jeweler wanted 700+ dollars to repair it. Now that I don't work or dress up, and things are changed I just wanted a knock around watch I didn't have to worry about. At times I would worry going through security at the airport I would lose sight of my watch in the bin, or afraid I'd get accosted for my watch. No more worry.

I will try to revisit this review in a few months or a year to tell you about the durability. I will probably buy a few more watches in the future in different styles. From Amazon of course.

Well, It's been a few weeks now and I've found a concern. The free end of the band has begun to fray a bit. I just pull the threads and it disappears, but how many threads can one pull before the band becomes threadbare? So I deducted a star from the watch because I don't feel the band is up to snuff, it's poor quality.
on July 10, 2017
I really like this watch. I like the band too. What I like most is the simplicity of this Seiko automatic. Only one button, never needs batteries. And although I have read reviews that were negative about the size,( too small.) I find this size just right for me.
Also the band is rugged and yet still comfortable. I have other bands, but I plan on keeping this one.
The color is my favorite shade of green and it just goes with this watch.
I like the glow in the dark hands on this watch and the day and date feature.(Saturday is blue, Sunday is red and the weekdays are black.)
Thank you Seiko for making a quality timepiece that is very attractive and comfortable to wear.
on July 22, 2017
A well made mechanical timepiece for around $60? Yes, please. Okay, so I was a little annoyed that the SNK805 I ordered turned out to be an SNK803. They're technically identical, just different colors. The 805 is green, the 803 is tan.
Let's get the things I don't like out of the way first. To start I do not like that the movement is Malaysian. Or at least made there ostensibly on Seiko tooling. I guess everybody is outsourcing these days. I also do not like that there is no hack feature so it cannot be set to the second. And finally, I don't like that there is no provision for hand winding.
What I do like is that it is smallish and light. It wears almost unnoticeably. I also like that the crown is recessed and set at the 4 o'clock position entirely out of the way. Further I like the day and date feature even if the face layout is a little busy.
Time will tell the tale, but so far I am more than pleased at the time of writing. It's the least expensive mechanical from a reputable maker that I could find. It's my first mechanical automatic winding timepiece but I doubt it'll be the last. I can say that I'd have no problem recommending this to others. Oh, and I swapped the strap for a CIVO NATO in Army green.

Edit:
Over the course of a week wearing the watch almost continuously, it has sped up nearly 9 and a half seconds. Or a little over a second a day. I suspect that this is due to the mainspring not being fully wound when received. It's now running about .3 seconds faster than the Atomic Clock in Colorado. I check the movement against ClockSync, Wildspectra Mobile Pro, and Watch check apps from Google Play store.
review image
on December 22, 2016
Beautiful watch, automatic too which means no batteries needed. It would have been even better if the straps were slightly wider. But overall I am happy with the purchase.

Amazon's warranty is automatically applied to this on top of the seiko 3 year warranty that is included. I was confused because there is no proof to show that this is covered by the 2 year amazon warranty as well other than what is mentioned in the website and what customer service tells me. I did ask them to email me the warranty just so I have it for my records. Thought it would help someone else too if I mentioned it in my review.

----------------------------------------POST CHRISTMAS UPDATE-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The watch looked too small on my son's wrist. As I guessed earlier on, the straps look too narrow when worn. Sadly, it will be returned.