Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,688 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,818 reviews
on March 19, 2016
I really wanted to like this watch. It looks great. I really love the way this watch looks. Others have reported that the band pops off. I had this happen once. Many have reported that it will not keep time if you take it off overnight, mine has less than 2 hours of reserve. When I got it, it was losing about 40 seconds a night. Now I am lucky to accuracy like that. So far today it has gained over 3 minutes. I expected much more from Seiko even though this is a lower end watch. This watch is only a few weeks old. Since I received this in the mail, my other 'beater' watch has lost only 30 seconds. This watch is all over the place. Hours behind one night, 15 minutes ahead the next, if it doesn't die completely anyways. Buy this watch if you want a nice bracelet, but not if you want it to actually tell time.

Edit 6-16
I had this watch replaced and for the past several months it has been working very well. I bumped the rating up to 3 stars because while I have had no problems with the replacement, my original became unusable. This leads me to believe they may have a quality control issue. With my replacement, for the price I have absolutely no complaints.
on April 9, 2015
I'm giving this a five star rating for the watch itself. The strap is a steaming pile. I'm new to this whole mechanical watch thing, so I was looking at bang for the buck. I like military/aviator style watches and this one seemed to fit the bill on the checklist. I have to say, when it arrived, I was surprised for so little money you'd get such a nice timepiece. The box and little pillow are nice. This would make a great gift for a nerdy kid. There are a ton of other reviews, so I'll just get down to what I like: The lume is powerful enough that I can read the watch all night long without having to charge it under a light. If I wake up at 4:45 am, I can see that's what time it is. The watch is quiet in operation. I do hear the jingle jangle of the rotor in the back swinging around with my arm when I move sometimes, but it's not annoying. My particular watch is very accurate. I've had it running for three weeks now and it has lost 14 seconds. I took the strap off of mine as soon as I got it and made one out of leather, so my photos are not representative of the strap that comes with it. The strap that comes with it is really thin and cheap feeling. I'd feel guilty using the strap that came with it as a collar for a feral cat, let alone my wrist. My only personal complaint of the watch is that it seems a bit small on me, but fashion comes and goes and changes. It's big enough that it doesn't look goofy. If I wasn't married, I'd immediately buy the other colors so I had one to go with every outfit.
review image review image review image review image
1111 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2015
So, I'm no watch expert, but I am a fanatic. I have yet to own a good quality automatic watch, as I've only owned low quality Chinese movement watches, and decided I wanted to start with this watch.

Appearance:
This is a military style watch. A little smaller than I'm used to. Most of my collection are 40-44mm vs this watch at 38mm. The color is close to OD green and very nice. I live the matte finish off the watch case also. The clear case back allows you to see the movement, which is very good looking in itself. Depending on where you buy the watch from, you'll get the Asian market watch (much less engraving on the movement/rotor, different watch box) or the American market watch (blue box with white pillow, warranty booklet, engraving on the moment/rotor). I have the American market watch. The strap that it came with is canvas, and very comfortable, but I swapped it out for a NATO strap that I had that happened to fit it. If you do wish to change the strap, the lugs are 18mm.

Function:
The watch is not hand windable and non-hacking (the seconds hand doesn't stop while setting the time). The day is multi lingual (mine is English/Spanish) and takes between 11pm to 3am to change. This is very important to remember when setting the time. I suggest you do a full day rotation when setting the watch to find AM and PM, and make sure you set the day properly. The day/date are quite easy to read. Saturday shows up as blue, Sunday shows up as red. Automatic, for those that don't understand, means it winds automatically from your body movement. The rotor spins, and winds the spring inside the movement. Some people gripe about the watch not lasting for very long if you don't wear it every day, and it won't if you don't move around a lot. The manufacturer gives a 35 hour per reserve. That's fully wound. If you don't have and automatic winder, I suggest you shake the watch for about two minutes after you take it off. That will give you about a full day of reserve without wearing it, before you have to wind it again. The crown is quite small, so setting the time while wearing the watch is a bit difficult. It keeps time well. I've noticed +/- a minute a week. The rotor is a little on the loud side when winding, but not really noticeable when wearing. The lume on it is great, and last for a good but of time. Very easy to read in the dark.

Personal Opinion:
There's a reason why these watches are so we'll respected. They apparently will last you forever with very little maintenance required. The price point and durability make these an awesome everyday watch. The different variations of the entire Seiko 5 line gives tons of options, and there's a huge group of modders who do custom builds with these watches all the time. If you're looking for a first automatic watch, you won't go wrong with this, and I do suggest one of you're just starting your collection.
review image review image
on April 26, 2017
I bought this to replace my now nonfunctional Seiko SNK793 (also a 5-series). First thing I did was swap the band from the old watch to the new one. The old one had always run fast and after about 2.5 years just quit working altogether. That one was more expensive but only came with a 2 year warranty, whereas this one was slightly cheaper but comes with 3 years. So I've had it for a total of about 6 days now. I set it to correct time then and now about 6 days later it is 13 minutes fast. Do they not check these things when they're made? I've been thinking about contacting Seiko about this and since Amazon prompted me for a review and I had to type all this out I'm going to do just that. I'll update if/when they make this right.
on April 13, 2017
This is truly a great automatic watch for the money. Probably the least amount you can spend to step into the world of automatic watches. Clear open back so you can see the internals. Feels good on the wrist. And it has true heritage of the Seiko 5 line going back to the 60's. It comes in at 37mm. That is probably my only hit on this watch. Its a bit small for my wrist. Will probably give to my son. If you want a little larger watch then look at the Seiko SNZG15. Almost same watch but its 43mm I believe. You truly cannot go wrong with this watch. People may equate low price with cheap quality. That is not the case here. There is a solid EDC (every day carry) automatic watch you can get for the money. True watch line with horology.
on July 11, 2016
I liked the looks of this watch but was convinced to buy it because of the Seiko name. I was not disappointed by the looks of this watch. I particularly like the transparent back on the case so I can see the winding movement and and a few of the gears inside. The face is supposed to be colored green, but it's more like a greenish charcoal. The hands are easy to see although they do not glow for long after dark which was a disappointment. Setting the watch is a bit of a challenge. The instructions are not entirely clear although they give enough information that with a little trial and error you can get it done. At the end of June, the date showed "Friday 31". I moved it manually to the 1st and the day remained "Friday". The green nylon band that came with the watch had several irritating areas on the inside causing discomfort and a bit of a rash. I was able to smooth some of the irritating fibers by carefully using a lighter to melt the offending fibers and it helped, but the nylon material remained less than comfortable. I turned to Amazon and found an 18mm stainless steel mesh watch band. I chose the mesh because nylon didn't work out and leather doesn't handle perspiration very well. So far the mesh band is great. Since the case of the watch is brushed stainless steel I wasn't pleased when the new band showed up in bright, shiny stainless steel. I didn't like it at first, but I like it better every day.
The major disappointment is that it looses about one to two minutes every day. I didn't expect that. It's not hard to adjust the time, but so much for my hopes of a precision time piece. It's usable for a general idea of the time. If I need the precise time I'll look at my iPhone. After my experience with this Seiko I probably wouldn't buy this watch again. If I want a reasonably accurate analog watch that looks pretty good Walmart sells them or $12.88. I'll probably go back to a digital quartz watch next time. I've worn reliable digital quartz watches with many other features from two major manufacturers for over fifty years and have been relatively pleased. I really expected more from a Seiko.

Update: I've tried using this watch from time to time over the past 10 months. As long as I'm activate the watch works well. When I'm not active the watch slows and will even stop, particularly if I'm not wearing it for a few hours. This would be a great watch for someone who is active most of the day. For those who spend a lot of time on the computer, reading or watching TV, I'd stick with a battery powered watch.
on May 4, 2017
This is a little thinner than other automatic watches I own. Luminous hands are a real bonus. One thing not mentioned in any specs is that this watch cannot be wound manually. The instructions state that in order to start the watch you need to swing it like a pendulum for 30 seconds or more. I suppose you could wear it for a while. The instructions also mention that the watch should be worn 8 hours a day in order to maintain the winding, and that it has a 40 hour reserve time when fully wound. The day date indicator changes (slowly) between 11PM and 4AM, so If you really need to know what day it is you may have to resort to another source during those hours.

As I write this I have been wearing my new watch for about 4 hours, and it has stopped! I took it off a swung it around for a minute and it started working again... Not really sure why 4 hours of wear wouldn't wind the watch sufficiently to keep working. Stay tuned.

Two weeks later: The watch has stopped again. Although I wear this every day it stopped today. I did not notice this for a few hours, so I went to reset the time, and the minute hand got caught up on the hour hand and seems to have dragged it out of place. The watch no longer sets the correct time as the hour hand lags behind the minute hand by about 30 minutes. E.G. when I set it for 4:30 the hour hand sits directly on 4:00. I am returning it for a replacement. This review is turning into a blog. Stay tuned.

Amazon replaced the watch without hassle or expense. The replacement has been working fine. I also purchased the white faced version, SNK803, and have had no problems with that watch.
on June 8, 2017
I liked the strap that came with it. I thought it looked and felt great, very sturdy, very stylish. It really surprises me that some people dislike the strap. Unfortunately, it was just a little bit too short for my wrist and I had to replace it. And I've heard that others have found that the straps on Seikos are just a bit too short. My wrists might be thicker than average but I don't think they're freakishly huge.

Anyway, other than the strap (which I very gladly would've kept if it was a half-inch longer), I have absolutely no complaints. I got this watch about 6 months ago, and it's running about 7 seconds fast per 24 hours. Some individual watches do worse than this, a few do better, so don't get mad at me if you buy one and it gains 15 seconds a day. I love the dial. I like the way it looks, and the way it's laid out is very functional, with the hours marked inside the seconds and minutes to match the shorter hour hands. I like the different colors for the day marker on Saturday (blue) and Sunday (red). I like having the option of setting the days to Spanish, although I haven't done that yet.

And I like the Seiko 5's reputation: simple, reliable, tough, rarely needs repairs, easy to repair whenever it's needed, millions have been made, so it's not hard to find repair people familiar with it. Because of those qualities, It's been compared to the AK-47 and the Chevy small-block 350 V-8. It's also been called the world's least expensive high-end watch. That's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe. But it is a perfectly good watch, for a ridiculously low price. (And today's watch market, unfortunately, is flooded with a lot of out-and-out junk, much of it a lot more expensive than this.) If you ask watch experts, people who make watches and work with them for a living, which brand gives you the most value for the money, there will be a bit of controversy, but the brand that gets mentioned far more than any other, in every price range, is Seiko. This watch, for under $60, is one of the best deals out there.

Even if you have to shell out for a new strap because the one it came with was too short.
review image
on December 7, 2015
Great watch for the price. The band was a little itchy for the first couple of days, but is fine now. I like the classic simple design. It keeps time within a minute of the atomic clock over a week. There's really not much variance beyond that over the past month either. I wear my watch everyday so the limited reserve isn't really an issue. I've yet to manually "wind" it since the day I pulled it from the box a month ago. Basically if you're not an uppity hipster, but want an automatic watch this is your best bet.
review image
on July 21, 2017
The Seiko 5 is the workhorse of automatic watches. Think of it as a Chevy Silverado not the most stylish, very utilitarian, obviously basic as to it's uses but bulletproof, reliable, quality and the best value out there. Just like the Silverado engine is the same one used in a Corvette, the venerable 7s26 automatic movement is the same one used in Seiko's that cost ten times as much. The movement is a marvel but it is an automatic with the inherent problems of an automatic. This watch will not be Quartz accurate, most likely +/- 5 seconds a day which is better than the average Rolex but occasionally they will be more than that, but it is very rare! The 7s26 likes to be worn and usually "settles" after about a week on the wrist. In the unlikely event that the accuracy is too far out to be acceptable it is easily adjusted with the help of countless youtube videos, or if your not brave enough any jeweller can fix it in a minute. I own over dozen 7s26 powered watches, many of them vintage and have only ever had to adjust one of them. Again this is an automatic watch powered by movement, there are no batteries and if it is motionless it will stop after about 30 hours.
The watch itself is a classic pilot design in a light aluminum case. It is an elegant design with the 4 o'clock crown giving it that special touch considered midsize, a very large wrist could dwarf the watch. The hardlex crystal is very durable I work construction and they hold up suprisingly well to the beatings I give them. The water resistance is not Scuba quality but perfectly adequate for the shower, doing dishes or jumping in the pool. I build custom watches as a hobby and use these as the basis for high end one off creations. The movement itself is worth the price and often I'll buy these Seiko 5s solely for that.
If you want a reliable, classic watch with no frills there is no better one on the market. Make no mistake this is a quality watch that I believe is worth twice the price.