Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,617 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,743 reviews
on April 9, 2015
I'm giving this a five star rating for the watch itself. The strap is a steaming pile. I'm new to this whole mechanical watch thing, so I was looking at bang for the buck. I like military/aviator style watches and this one seemed to fit the bill on the checklist. I have to say, when it arrived, I was surprised for so little money you'd get such a nice timepiece. The box and little pillow are nice. This would make a great gift for a nerdy kid. There are a ton of other reviews, so I'll just get down to what I like: The lume is powerful enough that I can read the watch all night long without having to charge it under a light. If I wake up at 4:45 am, I can see that's what time it is. The watch is quiet in operation. I do hear the jingle jangle of the rotor in the back swinging around with my arm when I move sometimes, but it's not annoying. My particular watch is very accurate. I've had it running for three weeks now and it has lost 14 seconds. I took the strap off of mine as soon as I got it and made one out of leather, so my photos are not representative of the strap that comes with it. The strap that comes with it is really thin and cheap feeling. I'd feel guilty using the strap that came with it as a collar for a feral cat, let alone my wrist. My only personal complaint of the watch is that it seems a bit small on me, but fashion comes and goes and changes. It's big enough that it doesn't look goofy. If I wasn't married, I'd immediately buy the other colors so I had one to go with every outfit.
review image review image review image review image
1111 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
I've been wearing this watch everyday for about a week now and I'm very impressed with it so far. Here is my own breakdown of the watch, in no particular order:

Size:
I have a 7 inch wrist and this watch fits me very nicely. It's such a relief to find an affordable, reasonably-sized, automatic watch these days when every new watch design coming out seems to be 40mm in diameter or larger. I would consider this a "mid-sized" watch for anyone with a medium to small wrist. Also, in case anyone is interested, the width of the lugs and strap for this watch is 18mm.

Fit and Finish:
The quality and craftsmanship of this watch is pretty outstanding considering it only cost $60. The dial is sharp and the lume is totally useable. Make no mistake, this watch was most likely assembled entirely by robots, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing (they did a pretty good job on mine). The watch strap leaves a little to be desired, feeling a bit coarse on the skin; I'll probably replace it eventually, but for now, it's doing just fine.

Accuracy:
I've been keeping track of my watch's accuracy compared to the US atomic clock for the last week and I have to say I'm impressed. It's been consistently 2-4 seconds fast per day, which is even more accurate than its officially stated specifications. In other words, it's overachieving in a big way. To get more accurate than this you are going to have to shell out at least 5 times the cash.

Automatic Mechanism:
This watch employs a Seiko 7S26C movement, which, in my humble opinion, is an absolute marvel of modern engineering. It is rumored that this mechanism costs all of $10 to produce, which, if true, is simply amazing. It's extremely efficient in winding the mainspring and is reported to be very durable, shock-resistant, and extremely low-maintenance in the long-term. You couldn't really ask for much more from such an inexpensive movement. I will say, the rotor does "rattle" ever so slightly when the watch is jerked around suddenly, but this is nothing that you can hear unless you have it close to your ear. It hasn't bothered me at all and doesn't seem to have any impact on the function of the watch. Lastly, this movement is not officially "hackable" but you can actual manually force it to hack by turning the crown slightly against its normal rotation direction while in the second position... this effectively stops the seconds hand. If you turn it back to normal then the second hand starts back up again. Hack achieved! Now just set the hour and minutes and you're good to go.

Water Resistance:
This watch has a stated water-resistance of 30 meters (or 3 ATM). I haven't really tested this, but I have washed the watch in a sink without any incident. Personally, I won't hesitate to swim in this watch even though the manufacturer guidelines tell you not to swim in a 30m WR watch (the manufacturers are just covering their own skin, in my opinion, but your opinion might vary). I'm betting that this watch will most likely keep a seal while the gaskets and O-rings are relatively new, and besides, it's only a $60 watch anyway... not worth losing sleep over.

Summary:
Compared to many of the more expensive automatic watches out there, this watch basically gives you 80% of the functionality for 20% of the cost (or less!). I'd say that's a steal any way you look at it!
55 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2016
I love the rugged military style of this watch. And the price! Finally, an automatic-watch I'm not afraid to wear camping. In a few years when I've scratched the heck out of this crystal I'll get a domed sapphire crystal replacement for thirty bucks and mod it even better than new.

Meanwhile, with so much saved on the purchase price, this watch cries out for add-on straps like a bund strap, a heavy nato strap or more basic green and black nato straps. Not to mention a bond-style striped jade strap. My wife likes the jade striped best, but after first thinking it was too big I now prefer the bund strap myself (the wide one). The factory strap isn't too bad, either - I like how thick it is, and it's made of soft canvas, not scratchy.

So, to help you choose your own add-ons, I've posted a few images, along with links. Enjoy!
on April 1, 2015
Love this watch! A great buy. This is my first and only automatic watch. I wasn't sure about the color when I first got it. I put a leather strap on it with a stainless steel deployment clasp with a brushed finish and WOW! I think it looks fantastic. The green face gives it a unique look. It is darker green and almost looks black from a distance. The white with brown leather and the black with brown leather are the more classic combinations, so I feel a little special with the green and brown leather, which I like. I'll post some pictures and you be the judge. I think it is fun to keep it as close to the exact time by checking the accuracy with an radio controlled "atomic" clock ($10) each morning and night. I learned how each night position affects the accuracy so I use the position that will keep it most accurate. I generally end up losing about 2 seconds per day and I make a minute adjustment about once a month. I have a small wrist, so the smaller size suits me fine. The lume in the dark is not the greatest for my aging eyes. It is ok if I go from sunlight to dark since the lume will be brighter for 20 minutes or so. I still can't believe I got this for around $56. My guess is most more expensive automatics aren't much more accurate. I wear it almost every day, so I have not had a problem with it stopping. To me this watch wants to be worn and wants my attention. Like a good pet, if I give it my attention, it gives me back much in return.
review image review image
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2016
The overall atheistic of this watch has an "outdoors look" in appearance. The fit and finish is very good and a bit above what you can expect for a watch in this price range. The movement is silent, it can't be heard in a quiet room at all, the glow in the dark hands and face are a nice touch as is the day and date feature. This watch is also easy to set and adjust, however it must be taken off the wrist to make doing so easier. The watch face is very well labeled with large minute markings on the outside and hour markings on the inside, the second hand looks as if it was taken from a compass which again goes with the "outdoors look".

The band isn't uncomfortable at all. I've read reviews about people saying the band is "scratchy". But to me it seems fine. Maybe my tolerance is higher compared to others.

As for its main function, that will have to wait for a few weeks at which point I'll update this review. As of right now it seems to be keeping perfect time with my Fossil Quartz watch.

I bought this watch as a "casual dress" watch, something I can wear with regular cloths, plus I've always been a fan of OD green. I also like wearing watches and thought it would be fun to dive into the world of mechanical watches.

9/21/16 so after owning this watch for a week I've found that I actually love having the crown at the 4 o'clock position. The crown doesn't dig into your wrist at all. As for keeping time this watch is very accurate, I've been switching between this watch and the SNK793 (both have the 7S26C movement) they have both been very accurate, not even a minute off in a weeks time. Over the course of a month I'm sure they will be a minute off or so which is to be expected from a mechanical watch. However for the price I paid for these watches I can't complain at all.

I've included photo's of this watch.
review image review image review image
on March 19, 2016
I really wanted to like this watch. It looks great. I really love the way this watch looks. Others have reported that the band pops off. I had this happen once. Many have reported that it will not keep time if you take it off overnight, mine has less than 2 hours of reserve. When I got it, it was losing about 40 seconds a night. Now I am lucky to accuracy like that. So far today it has gained over 3 minutes. I expected much more from Seiko even though this is a lower end watch. This watch is only a few weeks old. Since I received this in the mail, my other 'beater' watch has lost only 30 seconds. This watch is all over the place. Hours behind one night, 15 minutes ahead the next, if it doesn't die completely anyways. Buy this watch if you want a nice bracelet, but not if you want it to actually tell time.

Edit 6-16
I had this watch replaced and for the past several months it has been working very well. I bumped the rating up to 3 stars because while I have had no problems with the replacement, my original became unusable. This leads me to believe they may have a quality control issue. With my replacement, for the price I have absolutely no complaints.
on February 3, 2015
This is a great watch. So much has been said in other reviews that I won't add to the noise but one area that hasn't been thoroughly discussed I feel I may have something to add to is the color of this specific model (SNK807). As an artist color is paramount and something I'm sensitive to. So having only the pictures online to go on was something of a leap of faith for me, the luxury of holding something in our hands before we buy it is foregone when purchasing over the Internet. The user posted pics all seemed to vary from one another, either being super saturated green or nearly black. So I've posted my own pics which are very color accurate. The first pic is in broad daylight, which is as green as this watch gets. The other two are under normal room lights (daylight fluorescents). My point is, this is a dark olive drab with almost no green at all, which is exactly what I had hoped for. Another aspect of this watch I really like is its versatility. You can strap on a fancy leather strap and its a classy dress watch, or throw a NATO style strap on and head into the wilderness for years at a time and not worry about anything, especially batteries (this is a fully mechanical automatic watch). It may not be obvious, but this is also related to color. The neon green strap this watch is shipped with is bright and has the effect of making the watch face appear more green. Google "simultaneous contrast" for more, or believe me when I say your choice of strap color has a huge influence on what color the watch appears to the eye. I bought a very nice $30 "OD phalanx" strap from Crown and Buckle and am very pleased, plus the khaki NATO strap, both of which are pictured above. My sample ran less than 30 seconds fast for the entire first week I owned it, and has been plus or minus two seconds a day since then. From what I've read of other automatics, this is outstanding especially for the price, and I couldn't be happier with this watch. I have no idea what the negative reviews are talking about, unless they bought from someone other than Amazon and received Feikos. Another thing I'd like to clarify is the Lumibrite. It's brightness and longevity are directly proportional to how much light YOU expose it to before it's in darkness. Ten to twenty minutes in direct sunlight and it will glow like its radioactive for hours. Only room lights and it's a subtle glow for a couple of hours. I didn't really want this feature, but now that I have it I love it. Really, the pattern it has when all the lights are out is really classy. It's like an old Rolex design. Very nice, Seiko. Thanks for a great watch. Will buy again, even if it's just to get the other colors!
review image review image review image
on September 2, 2015
So, I'm no watch expert, but I am a fanatic. I have yet to own a good quality automatic watch, as I've only owned low quality Chinese movement watches, and decided I wanted to start with this watch.

Appearance:
This is a military style watch. A little smaller than I'm used to. Most of my collection are 40-44mm vs this watch at 38mm. The color is close to OD green and very nice. I live the matte finish off the watch case also. The clear case back allows you to see the movement, which is very good looking in itself. Depending on where you buy the watch from, you'll get the Asian market watch (much less engraving on the movement/rotor, different watch box) or the American market watch (blue box with white pillow, warranty booklet, engraving on the moment/rotor). I have the American market watch. The strap that it came with is canvas, and very comfortable, but I swapped it out for a NATO strap that I had that happened to fit it. If you do wish to change the strap, the lugs are 18mm.

Function:
The watch is not hand windable and non-hacking (the seconds hand doesn't stop while setting the time). The day is multi lingual (mine is English/Spanish) and takes between 11pm to 3am to change. This is very important to remember when setting the time. I suggest you do a full day rotation when setting the watch to find AM and PM, and make sure you set the day properly. The day/date are quite easy to read. Saturday shows up as blue, Sunday shows up as red. Automatic, for those that don't understand, means it winds automatically from your body movement. The rotor spins, and winds the spring inside the movement. Some people gripe about the watch not lasting for very long if you don't wear it every day, and it won't if you don't move around a lot. The manufacturer gives a 35 hour per reserve. That's fully wound. If you don't have and automatic winder, I suggest you shake the watch for about two minutes after you take it off. That will give you about a full day of reserve without wearing it, before you have to wind it again. The crown is quite small, so setting the time while wearing the watch is a bit difficult. It keeps time well. I've noticed +/- a minute a week. The rotor is a little on the loud side when winding, but not really noticeable when wearing. The lume on it is great, and last for a good but of time. Very easy to read in the dark.

Personal Opinion:
There's a reason why these watches are so we'll respected. They apparently will last you forever with very little maintenance required. The price point and durability make these an awesome everyday watch. The different variations of the entire Seiko 5 line gives tons of options, and there's a huge group of modders who do custom builds with these watches all the time. If you're looking for a first automatic watch, you won't go wrong with this, and I do suggest one of you're just starting your collection.
review image review image
on July 9, 2015
What a giggle this watch has been. I've waited about a month to write this review in order to give the watch some time to settle its action, and to see how I'd truly like it.

It has stood up well to surf fishing (lots of salt water splashes), ATA trap shooting matches (shotgun recoil), mountain biking, and day to day usage.

The rich green face has become a friend to me, hacking away with as good a movement as could be hoped for from watches below the $500 mark.

The watch has settled to +/- 5s a day, a fully wound spring lasts about 36 hours (excellent for this price range), the white numerals and unique face (minutes on outside, hour on inside) is both easy to read, and a conversation piece.

I've even considered purchasing the black face version as a result of how well this watch a performed, for more formal occasions (jubilee and super jubilee bands aren't my style).

Buy with confidence knowing you'll get the best value in automatic watches
review image
on July 11, 2016
I liked the looks of this watch but was convinced to buy it because of the Seiko name. I was not disappointed by the looks of this watch. I particularly like the transparent back on the case so I can see the winding movement and and a few of the gears inside. The face is supposed to be colored green, but it's more like a greenish charcoal. The hands are easy to see although they do not glow for long after dark which was a disappointment. Setting the watch is a bit of a challenge. The instructions are not entirely clear although they give enough information that with a little trial and error you can get it done. At the end of June, the date showed "Friday 31". I moved it manually to the 1st and the day remained "Friday". The green nylon band that came with the watch had several irritating areas on the inside causing discomfort and a bit of a rash. I was able to smooth some of the irritating fibers by carefully using a lighter to melt the offending fibers and it helped, but the nylon material remained less than comfortable. I turned to Amazon and found an 18mm stainless steel mesh watch band. I chose the mesh because nylon didn't work out and leather doesn't handle perspiration very well. So far the mesh band is great. Since the case of the watch is brushed stainless steel I wasn't pleased when the new band showed up in bright, shiny stainless steel. I didn't like it at first, but I like it better every day.
The major disappointment is that it looses about one to two minutes every day. I didn't expect that. It's not hard to adjust the time, but so much for my hopes of a precision time piece. It's usable for a general idea of the time. If I need the precise time I'll look at my iPhone. After my experience with this Seiko I probably wouldn't buy this watch again. If I want a reasonably accurate analog watch that looks pretty good Walmart sells them or $12.88. I'll probably go back to a digital quartz watch next time. I've worn reliable digital quartz watches with many other features from two major manufacturers for over fifty years and have been relatively pleased. I really expected more from a Seiko.

Update: I've tried using this watch from time to time over the past 10 months. As long as I'm activate the watch works well. When I'm not active the watch slows and will even stop, particularly if I'm not wearing it for a few hours. This would be a great watch for someone who is active most of the day. For those who spend a lot of time on the computer, reading or watching TV, I'd stick with a battery powered watch.