Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by All is Bright STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 23, 2017
Purchased this watch back in 2013, it had an easy first couple of years. Then wore it through US Army Infantry basic training. The watch never left my wrist, drug it through mud and muck, water, sweat, tears, banged it around on a tile floor whilst doing pushups. Broke a springbar putting on a rucksack once but that was an easy fix. Been wearing it the last 2 years in the Army, It's been really cold, and really hot, swam with me on numerous water survival tasks, jumped off high dives and zip lines into a lake, it's been on my wrist jumping out of planes and helicopters at 1500ft. I don't know what people are talking about "splash resistant" this little seiko has been on my wrist for the combat water survival assessment at least 15 times. Small enough that it doesn't get in the way of gloves or long sleeve shirts. Spend the 50 bucks, stick a nato strap on it, beat the hell out of it for as long as it lasts, then buy a new one. I've been brutalizing mine for 4+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat.
11 comment| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review image review image review image review image review image
1212 comments| 358 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2015
Update:
After more than two years of doing everything that the manual says not to do while wearing it close to 24/7, I'm ready to say that it's the best watch I've owned yet, even compared against ones that have cost ten times as much. In this time, I've rarely taken it off, and it hasn't stopped ticking once. I forgot I was wearing it at one point while scuba diving, and it kept on ticking along 20m underwater, and has survived another dozen dives since.
I haven't had it tuned or serviced once, and at this point it runs about 30-40 seconds fast a day. I'm ready to retire this one, but only because it's easier and cheaper to replace it than it is to polish out all the scratches and tune it. Seiko proves that great quality can come in a very humble package.

Original review:
This humble little Seiko has been the companion to my wrist for five months now. I've taken it off once or twice a month, mostly just to adjust the date on the first of each month. It's so accurate that I haven't had to correct the time outside of that, just over a minute fast a month, or a remarkable +2-3/day.
Seiko's manual stated to avoid high temperatures, shock, and that the waterproofing is only suitable for washing your hands with it on, while I've been subjecting it to daily showers, swimming pools, hot tubs, water parks, and snorkeling in Bermuda, banging it into just about everything I possibly could on the way to all of those. It's no diver, but I've seen much greater watches succumb to much less abuse than this Seiko.

My only complaints are that I've found the crystal to be too easy to scratch, although I admit I'm unusually hard on this watch, and the original strap is a touch cheap and ought to be replaced with a band of your liking ASAP. Neither flaw is fatal for a watch this price, I can't even bring myself to ding it for that, all other things considered. I'd give it six stars if I could.
on April 2, 2017
A pure aviator's classics. A must have for any man who values style (and not fancy overpriced pieces of vanity strewn by diamonds).
The only thing makes me sad - only 30 meters WR, not good for this type of watches :(.
UPD. Also I noticed the matte finish on the casing is very fragile. I didn't scratched it with anything metal, but it got a mark already (looks like more reflective, somehow "polished" piece of surface). So it will get "vintage look" fast.
The band is stiff and cheap, but not that bad as many claim. Yes, it's too simple and does not embrace the watch as it could, but anyway standalone it is ok. Maybe even worth to keep it.
Have bought the last one and happy!
on October 4, 2017
This is an amazing little mechanical watch for the price! Beautiful dial inspired by vintage aviatior watches. it's small, so the dial design doesnt neccessarily pop out at you like the IWC pilot watch. Rather the seiko invites you closer to admire the great detail work and craftsmanship. It's also got some nice heft to it, and i love the exhibition case back that allows you to see the works inside. I've been wearing it regularly for the past few days and it just keeps running, and keeps perfect time. I haven't had to reset it yet. I noticed that some reviewers have had trouble getting it going at first. It took me a moment as well to study its habits (the crown gear doesn't wind the watch - it just sets the time and day/date. You've gotta hold the watch in one hand and gently swing that hand side-to-side for about 30 sec to get the self-winding pendulum going). Once I did that, the second hand still wasn't moving yet, so I pulled out the crown gear to its outermost setting (to set the time) and once I started setting the hands, it sorta kicked the watch movement into gear and it's been keeping perfect time ever since. All watches have their quirks, so hopefully this trick will help anyone who buys this beautiful piece and has trouble getting it started at first.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 13, 2017
Perfect weight (60 grams). Perfect size (37). Perfect crown placement (4 o'clock) (no wrist pinching!) and size. Superb lume including second hand (ala professional divers). Display back. Retro World War II pilot dial. Admirable accuracy. Great price!
And, black goes with everything! Absolute no-brainer.
on April 4, 2017
Sharp-looking and cool rapid tick...I never spend much on watches, but this one may have opened up a world to me. I'm a woman so I have it on the last hole of the band that came with it. I have run while wearing it; the watch feels a bit too heavy for that, although another band that could go smaller might correct the slipping I'm getting. I love the look and feel of it for all other everyday activities. It's spiffy enough to wear to dinner and sturdy enough for a hike afterwards! Setting it was easy; I thought I may have lost a minute last week but so far this week it seems to be keeping up or if anything a little faster; I think this is normal for automatic watches, both to have to adjust occasionally and to have a breaking-in phase. The glow-in-the-dark hands are a nice feature. The minutes on the outside of the face are a great design; this makes more sense to me than the other way around.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2017
Box was a bit dirty, but otherwise, this watch has kept completely accurate time since I've had it synced with my computer time. It's linked via microphone and hasn't skipped a beat.

Secondly, the manufacturer online states that it's water resistant 3 bar. This is 20 meters or 66 feet, yet in their provided booklet, 3 bar is "light splash from rain." You can swim with this, but Seiko doesn't list it as that. I would not recommend just in case.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 4, 2016
So I bought this watch out of pure curiosity and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised on the quality for the price. Now it's not perfect. I'm a thin person but have a decent sized wrist. The watch is pretty small on my wrist. What makes it look smaller is having it on a Nato strap also. The strap it came with is pretty uncomfortable so I swapped it out for a leather Nato. So of course the watch now looks a little smaller. But that's my only complaint. Other than that the watch is great looking, durable and it's a Seiko. Well known brand that's been around as long as I've been on this earth. If you want to get into automatic watches without breaking the bank and want something small and durable, then this is a highly recommended watch.