Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 23, 2017
Purchased this watch back in 2013, it had an easy first couple of years. Then wore it through US Army Infantry basic training. The watch never left my wrist, drug it through mud and muck, water, sweat, tears, banged it around on a tile floor whilst doing pushups. Broke a springbar putting on a rucksack once but that was an easy fix. Been wearing it the last 2 years in the Army, It's been really cold, and really hot, swam with me on numerous water survival tasks, jumped off high dives and zip lines into a lake, it's been on my wrist jumping out of planes and helicopters at 1500ft. I don't know what people are talking about "splash resistant" this little seiko has been on my wrist for the combat water survival assessment at least 15 times. Small enough that it doesn't get in the way of gloves or long sleeve shirts. Spend the 50 bucks, stick a nato strap on it, beat the hell out of it for as long as it lasts, then buy a new one. I've been brutalizing mine for 4+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat.
175 helpful votes
176 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
339 helpful votes
340 helpful votes
1212 comments|Report abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
67 helpful votes
68 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on April 2, 2017
A pure aviator's classics. A must have for any man who values style (and not fancy overpriced pieces of vanity strewn by diamonds).
The only thing makes me sad - only 30 meters WR, not good for this type of watches :(.
UPD. Also I noticed the matte finish on the casing is very fragile. I didn't scratched it with anything metal, but it got a mark already (looks like more reflective, somehow "polished" piece of surface). So it will get "vintage look" fast.
The band is stiff and cheap, but not that bad as many claim. Yes, it's too simple and does not embrace the watch as it could, but anyway standalone it is ok. Maybe even worth to keep it.
Have bought the last one and happy!
on September 20, 2014
I've owned mine for a couple months now and I am extremely impressed with the band, durability, lens, and accuracy of this watch. It is never off by more than a minute and watch accuracy is always helpful. The band is canvas so if you rub up against something and it messes with threads of the band you can always take a lighter and burn the edge where it is starting to come undone. I've only done it once and it was because I bumped it into a brick wall as I was still getting used to having that extra bit attached to my arm. The lens is durable as well, I have not gotten a scratch on it yet, but I have accidentally hit it against an engine or tools at work so it's pretty tough. It is not meant for prolonged use underwater, but I use it for swimming my laps and have not had any issues. I also incorporate under-waters in my swimming, but if I have to go deeper than 5 feet I'm taking the watch off. I've worked out with it and I haven't had any issues with its size, or band making it feel uncomfortable. It doesn't have a timer so it's not the best workout companion, but that's not why I bought it so no stars docked that would be unfair. The automatic winding is a great feature as well. I've left it off for almost a week and when I put it back on it was still ticking with accuracy. The only thing that bothered me at first was getting it on and off because the holes to get the buckle of the watch through were kind of tight, but over time that fixes itself with use. It really is a great watch and if you're looking for for comfort, durability, and simplicity this is a great watch for you.
3 helpful votes
on March 19, 2017
This watch fits right in that sweet spot of an intriguing automatic and simplistic beauty. I didn't immediately fall in love with the size. However, wearing this under a simple long sleeve t-shirt it wore nicely and you start to love that you feel like you're not "wearing" it. The lume is great, as is the sweeping tick. I would recommend this if you're on the fence about field watches and don't know where to start. This is the gateway. I have some other bands coming to try and see if I like the looks. The black stock band is sturdy and the buckle is Seiko branded which adds a hint of extra branding style.
on June 7, 2015
I originally picked this watch up during one of Amazon’s sales as kind of an impulse buy, and have been so impressed with it that it has quickly become my daily preference. I must admit that I’m fairly new to automatic watches, having used quartz watches almost exclusively so far in my life. However, this watch may have changed my watch habits forever! The movement on the watch is incredibly smooth and quiet, and accurate to boot. I’m in the military, and so keeping accurate time is often a priority for the job. Moving away from quartz, I was a little concerned about accuracy, but with the Seiko, it hasn’t been an issue at all. Over the last week and a half, after the initial charging and setting, the watch has only lost or gained maybe a few seconds a day, so much so that without any further adjustments it is now less than 5 seconds off when I originally set it.

Other than the accuracy, I think this watch is a beautiful specimen. While it is a little smaller compared to some of the watches around today, I like the size relative to my smaller wrists, and the fact that it doesn’t interfere as much with my hand movements, especially when riding my motorcycle. The watch crystal is Hardlex, and has been extremely durable so far, surviving a few scrapes and bangs without any scratches or blemishes. The face, along with the day/date indicator is easy to read, and understated but beautiful. The lume is nice and bright making the watch very readable, although I haven’t yet been able to get it to last for more than about 5 hours. The display back is a wonderful addition that really gives the watch more character than a typical quartz watch at this price point. Finally, the strap is strong and durable, and I really quite like the way it looks and feels.

For anyone looking to get into automatic watches at a good price point, and who is interested in an accurate, not-too-flashy timepiece, this is absolutely a fantastic buy!

Pros:
Excellent price
Beautiful, easy to read display
Strong luminescence
Very accurate
Quiet
Durable (so far)

Cons:
Slightly smaller form (if you’re into bigger watches)
on May 25, 2015
I bought this watch because, like many others, I was looking for a unique and reliable mechanical watch that wasn't going to set me back much. I debated a long time whether to get this or a 5 sports with a japanese movement, and settled on this one for a number or reasons.

Firstly the size was favorable to, as I wear my watches daily, and while working etc. I have never liked large watches, and this is the perfect size in my opinion. Related to the size, I like the the crown is not large, and is out of the way, due to the fact that I have knocked off multiple crowns on cheaper watches. Addidtionally, the 18mm strap size allowed me to use a well worn strap that I have become accustomed to over the past few years.

Next, the style of the watch face is unique, wherein it more prominently displays the minute values over the hour. It takes a bit getting used to honestly, but it wasn't tough by any means.

Ive had this warch for about a month now, and I can say some things about how it has worn.
The coating on the case seems tough, and thus far has only accrued a few scuffs that are only visible on close inspection. I am happy with the appearance, as the satin bead blasted finish compliments the glossy black face of the dial. The hardlex has a few small scratches, but nothing too noticable at usual distance.

The lume illuminates well and bright after decent exposure, but the intensity last far less time than I would have hoped. I will say though that wearing it into the evening hasn't left me in the dark about what time it is (pun intended).

The time keeping has left me quite satisfied. Some people have complained about the accuracy of the movement, but keep in mind, this watch winds itself as you wear it, thus in order for it to keep time reliably, you need to wear it. Also the watch I received has 7S26C, which is the latest revision of this movement. So anyway, the first week the watch was fast, gained only 6 seconds. I adjusted it back to the second. The second week, it gained 7 seconds. The third and fourth week I did not adjust, and it has gained only five seconds combined. I am extremely pleased at this price point.
on October 4, 2017
This is an amazing little mechanical watch for the price! Beautiful dial inspired by vintage aviatior watches. it's small, so the dial design doesnt neccessarily pop out at you like the IWC pilot watch. Rather the seiko invites you closer to admire the great detail work and craftsmanship. It's also got some nice heft to it, and i love the exhibition case back that allows you to see the works inside. I've been wearing it regularly for the past few days and it just keeps running, and keeps perfect time. I haven't had to reset it yet. I noticed that some reviewers have had trouble getting it going at first. It took me a moment as well to study its habits (the crown gear doesn't wind the watch - it just sets the time and day/date. You've gotta hold the watch in one hand and gently swing that hand side-to-side for about 30 sec to get the self-winding pendulum going). Once I did that, the second hand still wasn't moving yet, so I pulled out the crown gear to its outermost setting (to set the time) and once I started setting the hands, it sorta kicked the watch movement into gear and it's been keeping perfect time ever since. All watches have their quirks, so hopefully this trick will help anyone who buys this beautiful piece and has trouble getting it started at first.
on May 13, 2017
Perfect weight (60 grams). Perfect size (37). Perfect crown placement (4 o'clock) (no wrist pinching!) and size. Superb lume including second hand (ala professional divers). Display back. Retro World War II pilot dial. Admirable accuracy. Great price!
And, black goes with everything! Absolute no-brainer.