Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,802 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,039 reviews
on February 23, 2017
Purchased this watch back in 2013, it had an easy first couple of years. Then wore it through US Army Infantry basic training. The watch never left my wrist, drug it through mud and muck, water, sweat, tears, banged it around on a tile floor whilst doing pushups. Broke a springbar putting on a rucksack once but that was an easy fix. Been wearing it the last 2 years in the Army, It's been really cold, and really hot, swam with me on numerous water survival tasks, jumped off high dives and zip lines into a lake, it's been on my wrist jumping out of planes and helicopters at 1500ft. I don't know what people are talking about "splash resistant" this little seiko has been on my wrist for the combat water survival assessment at least 15 times. Small enough that it doesn't get in the way of gloves or long sleeve shirts. Spend the 50 bucks, stick a nato strap on it, beat the hell out of it for as long as it lasts, then buy a new one. I've been brutalizing mine for 4+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat.
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review image review image review image review image review image
1212 comments| 289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Enthusiast: Watcheson April 17, 2017
Pros: Great watch for the price, automatic movement, classic design
Cons: Mediocre band, a tad too small, short power reserve

The Seiko 5 has almost a legendary status among watch collectors/enthusiasts. For many, it was the gateway that started their watch collection. It might not have the same quality in its movement and dial as more expensive watches, but it's a great watch to start with if you're getting into watches. You're not going to be able to find a better automatic movement at this price range, especially one as reliable and capable as the 7S26. Not only are you getting a reliable movement, you get peace of mind knowing that it is from a company like Seiko. If this particular style isn't to your liking, there are tons of other Seiko 5s with different colors and styles.

This particular one is an amalgamation of a field and pilot watch. It has clear indicators, with minutes on the outer ring and hours on the inner. It looks like a flieger, but its size and case looks like a field watch. The dial is not too busy, but not super minimalistic either; it strikes a perfect balance. There is also a day-date indicator with English and Spanish weekdays, with Sunday being red. The brushed steel look of the case complements the rest of the watch very well. One thing you'll notice on some Seikos is that the crown is at the 4 o'clock position, which is supposed to make it more comfortable if you wear it on the left wrist. However, the crown of this watch is so small and recessed anyway that it wouldn't have made a difference where it was.

There are a couple of things I do not like with this watch: the band that it comes with and the size. I don't expect the band to be that great for a $50 watch, so I had the intention of swapping it out right when I bought the watch. I went with a NATO band, and I think it makes the watch look a lot better, certainly more than the $50 price tag; It's a great way to dress the watch up. My only other complaint is the size. I wish they made this style in a slightly larger diameter, like 38 or 39. There's another one that is similar to this style, but it's a 42mm. It's not a huge complaint, but 37mm is small for most wrists.

This may have been an anomaly, but I was wearing the watch for a week straight, and after not wearing it for a day, it stopped. It's supposed to have a 50-hour power reserve, so I'm not sure what happened. It could have just not been fully charged. If it happens again, then there could be something wrong with my unit.

If you're looking for your first automatic watch or just need something that can be worn every day, then look no further. This watch is very versatile and reliable. Keep a few NATO bands around and you'll be able to match this watch with any outfit or occasion.
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 9, 2015
Don't let the cheap price fool you! I decided to buy this watch after Kevin Rose of Google Ventures/Former Digg CEO, who happens to be a major watch geek, who recommended this watch to author Timothy Ferriss when he asked, "What's a really good watch to get that is under $100?". This is that watch. I am really glad I bought it. It's hefty, comfy, looks good on my wrist and has all the cool features your grandpa's watch had. I def recommend this watch!
on May 3, 2017
Had to be returned for service twice in first three years, gains 7 min per day. Bought another color of this same watch from a different vendor, it failed completely in one year. Would not recommend.
on October 17, 2016
I got the watch far earlier than I had been told, so the experience started off with a pleasant surprise. The product was delivered in original Seiko packaging, presented on a pillow inside. Presentation pertaining to a much higher price, I might add. It was labeled with the MSRP of more than 180 dollars. A price that would have been fair anyway.

The watch itself sports a movement which as been used by Seiko since the 90's. So you can rest assured that the watch will keep ticking, or rather sweeping (as the automatic movement ensures a beautiful sweeping second hand as opposed to a ticking hand) for a long time to come. The movement is a tank and it has been just a few seconds a day off.

The watch itself is gorgeous. It's the size of a field watch (worn in the army by foot-soldiers) but it's dial is more like a classic aviator style with the prominent minute markers. I absolutely love the minute and hour hand, reminiscent of the propellors of old WWI era combat aircrafts. The second hand adds a touch of elegance with it's extended almost feminine shape. It's a sturdy feeling scratch resistant case which would have served well in combat as it is non reflective in the sun. The display case back gives you a glimpse of the intricate workings of the mesmerising movement, teleporting you to the mechanical era of yesteryear. The watch sits well on any wrist. It's subtle size ensures it sits well on smaller wrists, but it's intricate (but not cluttered) dial makes it feel at home even on larger wrists (like mine).

The strap, though well made, is not worth keeping. It just doesn't do the heritage of the watch design justice. I bought an aftermarket 15$ strap online and it transforms the watch. It goes from beater to eye catcher. I recommend non-nato so you can keep seeing the mechanical innards. There are so many great leather offerings to choose from. Oh also, swapping straps is super easy. Don't be scared off by the pushpin tool, it's a one time purchase which you can keep reusing and it's dirt cheap to begin with.
on February 4, 2016
It looks better in real life than in the product shot (super soft lighting eliminates contrast, making it look pretty flat), for one. It isn't incredibly stand-out, but it's very deliberate in its design, not pretending to be anything it isn't. The see-through caseback is really cool!
So far, it's been accurate for days. It loses a few seconds throughout the week like any mechanical watch will, but in real-world use, I can always look at it and it's always pointing to the correct time. I set it about once a week and that's that. If you wind it backwards (not advisable at late hours since it can mess up the date complication), the second hand ticks backwards too, so you can set it very accurately if you like. There's no manual winding, but the automatic movement seems to do well. It was ticking when I took it out of the shipping box!
The readability is fantastic; a wayward glance at any angle tells you the time. I'm a dance instructor and it's very easy to covertly time a lesson without evidently checking my watch. I have a small wrist, so 37mm is also a great size. Switching from the included nylon band to a steel mesh band looks much better; the watch itself is understated enough to work well with many different looks. Definitely an incredible watch for the money, and I'll probably get a few more Seiko 5s in different designs. Very impressed!
on May 28, 2016
Yes, it's small. It looks ok on my 6.5 inch wrist, but, it looks small compared to the large watches most people wear today. That said, I bought this to have a small watch that I hardly notice I'm wearing and it's perfect in that sense. The small crown at 4 o'clock is nice too - it makes it more comfortable to wear. It took about a week for the strap to break in and become comfortable.

When I received it, the watch was consistently 15 seconds fast per day. I opened it and _carefully_ adjusted the speed (see youtube) and it's now about 5 seconds fast per day; not bad.
on June 29, 2014
I had been eyeballing this for a while as a sort of dressier alternative for my Timex and Casio sport watches for wearing to work. I like the field watch style: simple, understated, no-nonsense. I had never had an automatic before and was reluctant because of the accuracy and 30m water resistance (Seiko recommends only rain and accidental splashing). I bike to work, so I need something that can put up with sweat and rain and I can wash it off in the sink. It was cheap, so I got it anyway.

I love this watch. The second day I had it, my 5-month-old puked on it, so I washed it off in the sink. It is usually 90+ degrees on my way home from work, so it gets soaked with sweat and washed off in the sink when I get home. I showered with it (soap and all) the other day. I haven't swum with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to. I venture that the watch's actual water resistance is much higher than 30m. I've read about people taking it snorkeling and shallow diving without leaks. Something other reviewers have not mentioned is that it has a screw-down caseback, another clue that it might be more water resistant than it's rating.

If you hold the watch within 2-3 inches of your ear, you can hear it tick-tick-tick 6 times a second like on "60 minutes" and of course there's the exhibition caseback if you want to watch the balance wheel wobble back and forth.

The lume is great. It's probably twice as bright as my Casio Slim Solar, and I can still read it after being in the dark for hours. My only gripe here is that the lume on the hour markers is all the same, so you can't really tell which way 12 o'clock is, especially if you're not wearing it.

I like the nylon strap. It's tough and understated. I don't think it looks cheap, but it might be a little out of place with a suit. If you don't like it, get another one. I think it's comfortable and dries quickly, so I'll keep it.

The day and date are easy to set (pull out one click) and you can set the seconds, too, if it's not wound up too much by putting a little back pressure on the crown while setting it (Google 'back hacking watch'). It gained +13 sec the first day (against time.gov), but over the first week or so it's settled down to within -1/+5 sec a day. What more could you ask from a $50 automatic? Wow.

Update 7/20/2014: Just got back from a week at the beach; the watch didn't come off my wrist. Building sand castles, swimming in the ocean, showers, bike rides, you name it. Not a drop of water inside the case, no fogging, no scratches. I've been wearing it for a month now and it stays within -1/+1 seconds a day.