Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,639 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,866 reviews
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review image review image review image review image review image
1313 comments| 224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
on March 4, 2017
Precise and nice watch. The day-date is clear and legible, in two languajes: en-es. The dial is super clear and this is a 37mm, hence a more traditional and wearable watch. I changed the strap but after some weeks of use with different stratps, found that the original is the best.
The precision is +-2s/24hrs. I almost inmediately get used to the numbers in the dial, a small ring with the hours and big numbers outside for the minutes. Here a size comparison with the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Mens Watch 311.30.44.51.01.002 and the Swiza Men's WAT.0352.1001 Siriuz Analog Display Swiss Quartz Black Watch
review image review image review image review image
on March 24, 2016
This watch is really something. This is a really substantial piece, especially for the price. It just feels... Right. It's got an absolutely great feel to it. It has weight, but I wouldn't call it heavy. It just feels solid. The crown is perfectly accessible, but isn't in a position to get in your way, and certainly doesn't detract from the overall aesthetics of the watch. If size is your main concern, though, this probably isn't for you. I never really felt that I had to have a huge watch to get attention.

The quality I can see that's been put into this watch is fantastic. The matte-finish case is beautiful and the face stands out from the surrounding metal. The bright white hands just shine out at you for at-a-glance reading. I absolutely LOVE the face design, with the hour hand being the perfect length to sweep over the hour indices on the inner ring and the minute hand over the outer ring of indices. Even the strap is really well made. Everything is thick and double stitched and the adjustment holes are even reinforced with what looks like a thin piece of leather. The strap is still surprisingly light and comfortable. The matte finish on the buckle and strap keepers is a really nice touch, as well.

A day and date complication is almost a 'must' for me. I always forget what the date is, and having a tiny piece of marvelous engineering strapped to my wrist to inform me of such things is almost invaluable. Also, the automatic movement being visible isn't really anything big, but it's always a really cool feature, in my opinion.
review image review image
on April 17, 2017
Pros: Great watch for the price, automatic movement, classic design
Cons: Mediocre band, a tad too small, short power reserve

The Seiko 5 has almost a legendary status among watch collectors/enthusiasts. It might not have the same quality in its movement and dial as more expensive watches, but it's a great watch to start with if you're getting into watches. You're not going to be able to find a better automatic movement at this price range, especially one as reliable and capable as the 7S26. Not only are you getting a reliable movement, you get peace of mind knowing that it is from a company like Seiko. If this particular style isn't to your liking, there are tons of other Seiko 5s with different colors and styles.

This particular one is an amalgamation of a field and pilot watch. It has clear indicators, with minutes on the outer ring and hours on the inner. The dial is not too busy, but not super minimalistic either; it strikes a perfect balance. There is also a day-date indicator with English and Spanish weekdays. The brushed steel look of the case complements the rest of the watch very well. One thing you'll notice on some Seikos is that the crown is at the 4 o'clock position, which is supposed to make it more comfortable if you wear it on the left wrist. However, the crown of this watch is so small and recessed anyway that it wouldn't have made a difference.

There are a couple of things I do not like with this watch: the band that it comes with and the size. I don't expect the band to be that great for a $50 watch, so I had the intention of swapping it out right when I bought the watch. I went with a NATO band, and I think it makes the watch look a lot better, certainly more than the $50 price tag; It's a great way to dress the watch up. My only other complaint is the size. I wish they made this style in a slightly larger diameter, like 38 or 39. There's another one that is similar to this style, but it's a 42mm.

This may have been an anomaly, but I was wearing the watch for a week straight, and after not wearing it for a day, it stopped. It's supposed to have a 50-hour power reserve, so I'm not sure what happened. It could have just not been fully charged. If it happens again, then there could be something wrong with my unit.

If you're looking for your first automatic watch or just need something that can be worn every day, then look no further. This watch is very versatile and reliable. Keep a few NATO bands around and you'll be able to match this watch with any outfit or occasion.
review image
on March 30, 2017
I'm not a big "watch guy" and own exactly one other one - A Timex Weekender. I wear a watch primarily for work as I have lots of meetings and it's helpful to be able to discreetly keep tabs on time between appointments. I like my Weekender but it has a very loud tick and I've been interested in this Seiko for a while as it's a pretty frequent recommendation for the EDC crowd. I've never owned an automatic watch but find some appeal in the engineering that goes into it and that I would have a little connection to it (I depend on it for time, it depends on me to keep it moving and wound). I'm very pleased with this watch and wish I would have purchased it long ago. Mine has only picked up about two minutes fast in the past month. Although I'm a big guy I have small wrists so the smaller size works fine for me - the large dive-type super-macho watches would look ridiculous on me and I don't see the appeal in wearing an anchor, but if you're into them go nuts. The retaining ring that holds the excess strap in place has worn a touch but that's to be expected - otherwise no wear noticed so far, even after a few bumps into things. This watch is silent except when you hold it up to your ear, which I appreciate. I haven't had any issues with it not being wound enough and have an office job so I'm not necessarily running around all the time. Also compared to my Weekender, the recessed crown at the 4 o'clock position is a big improvement since it doesn't dig into the top of my wrist when moving around. The overall quality and appearance belies its affordable price and it comes in the fancy Seiko box around a little white pillow (snazzy!). Instructions were easy to follow for day/date/time setting. If you're awake in the wee hours of the morning it's fun to watch the day show up in Spanish for a little bit before it moves to English - just the way the mechanism works. The only thing that would really improve this watch is an improved luminous coating for the markers - they fade pretty quickly in the dark and something like they use on higher-end watches (Superluminova, I think it's called) would be a big improvement. This is a great all-around watch for work, weekends, or whatever and if you're on the fence, just go for it. I wish I would have sooner.
on March 9, 2014
I waited a month before reviewing this. I like the watch and am fascinated with the mechanical movement. But mine consistently loses 15 seconds per day (UPDATE August 2014 it now gains 12 seconds per day!!) (UPDATE TWO March 2015 after a year, it is losing about one minute per day. Not usable)The 15 seconds is within acceptable standards so Seiko will probably not adjust it under warranty. If I am ever in a city where there is a watchmaker willing to adjust it, I'll just have to decide if it's worth the time and money to have it done. As a teen many years ago, I had a wind-up Bulova Caravelle that I bought with my paper route earnings. It was accurate within 2 or 3 seconds per day, so I expect that kind of accuracy in a modestly priced mechanical watch.
After wearing the Seiko daily for three weeks, one of the pins attaching the strap came loose and the watch just fell of my wrist. The pin was easy to put back in and hasn't done it again, but now I am concerned about losing it.

Pros:
Low price
looks good
crystal on back for viewing movement
size - just right
weight - not heavy but not a lightweight either
3-year warranty if purchased from Amazon

Cons:
Accuracy - mine loses 15 sec/day UPDATE: After 6 months use it now GAINS about 12 seconds per day.
Dial - small hour numbers (I should have paid closer attention to the photos)
Luminous hands - only glow for a few minutes after being in bright light. I miss the indiglo light on my old Timex.
Pin came loose

Notice that I didn't list as a pro that it doesn't use batteries. That's because most quality quartz watches nowadays have 5-year batteries. This watch is only guaranteed for three years, and at 5 years will probably require a cleaning which presently costs around $100. Buying it from Amazon was a bargain but the long-term upkeep will be costly. Or, like a quartz watch, it will become disposable.
on March 16, 2016
When I say this watch is "timeless," I mean that it literally does not keep accurate time. I purchased this watch because of its sleek, classic design, and because I have always considered Seiko to make quality time pieces. Within a few months of buying it, the watch started losing several minutes a day, so I would have to set it every morning. Now, after about a year it has developed a loud scraping noise whenever I move my wrist, and get this: now runs several minutes fast every day! It will be cheaper to buy another watch rather than get this one fixed, so I will do just that.
on February 4, 2016
It looks better in real life than in the product shot (super soft lighting eliminates contrast, making it look pretty flat), for one. It isn't incredibly stand-out, but it's very deliberate in its design, not pretending to be anything it isn't. The see-through caseback is really cool!
So far, it's been accurate for days. It loses a few seconds throughout the week like any mechanical watch will, but in real-world use, I can always look at it and it's always pointing to the correct time. I set it about once a week and that's that. If you wind it backwards (not advisable at late hours since it can mess up the date complication), the second hand ticks backwards too, so you can set it very accurately if you like. There's no manual winding, but the automatic movement seems to do well. It was ticking when I took it out of the shipping box!
The readability is fantastic; a wayward glance at any angle tells you the time. I'm a dance instructor and it's very easy to covertly time a lesson without evidently checking my watch. I have a small wrist, so 37mm is also a great size. Switching from the included nylon band to a steel mesh band looks much better; the watch itself is understated enough to work well with many different looks. Definitely an incredible watch for the money, and I'll probably get a few more Seiko 5s in different designs. Very impressed!
on July 15, 2015
I have been doing research on watches for quite a while now, and thought that I was hopeless to find a decent automatic for under $150. I received an email from Amazon during one of their sales, and picked this baby up for $45. Worst case, I send it back right?

Now, that would be a deal even for a poor quality watch, but from my experience so far, this watch far surpasses it's price point. This watch has a stainless steel case that holds up very well to everyday abuse at my backroom job in retail. It is constantly being nicked and caught against steel shelves, pallets, you name it. After two months of this treatment, the watch has hardly even shown this wear. The glass, which is NOT mineral crystal (to be expected), has zero scratches.

The movement, coined the 7S26C, is a Malaysian movement. It is a reliable and accurate movement with a reserve time of about 30 hours. People claim that it loses a lot of time, but I have only noticed 1-2 minutes a week.

The only negative about this watch I can think of right now would have to be the strap. This is one of the areas that Seiko had to skimp on to deliver the watch at this price. It is a nylon strap with the two stainless rings to hold the end down. It does it's job, I just find the durability to be lacking. The fitting notches for the buckle are made of a very soft leatherette material that has already began to stretch. Also, the end of the strap tends to grab at any loose fabric or cotton that may be in your clothes. Nonetheless, this is a very small complaint, and should not influence your buying decision. The strap is very easily replaceable, and I will be doing this soon.

Overall, the Seiko SNK800 series of watches should be thought of as a very value-oriented watch, and it definitely delivers with few compromises. I would recommend this watch over any other automatics in the $40-100 range.