BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Dirty Heads Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on February 23, 2017
Purchased this watch back in 2013, it had an easy first couple of years. Then wore it through US Army Infantry basic training. The watch never left my wrist, drug it through mud and muck, water, sweat, tears, banged it around on a tile floor whilst doing pushups. Broke a springbar putting on a rucksack once but that was an easy fix. Been wearing it the last 2 years in the Army, It's been really cold, and really hot, swam with me on numerous water survival tasks, jumped off high dives and zip lines into a lake, it's been on my wrist jumping out of planes and helicopters at 1500ft. I don't know what people are talking about "splash resistant" this little seiko has been on my wrist for the combat water survival assessment at least 15 times. Small enough that it doesn't get in the way of gloves or long sleeve shirts. Spend the 50 bucks, stick a nato strap on it, beat the hell out of it for as long as it lasts, then buy a new one. I've been brutalizing mine for 4+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat.
0Comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review image review image review image review image review image
1212 comments| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2017
this is one awesome little watch, its very small by the way. but none the less great. it feels tough, feels durable and fearless all for $50!the only thing that bothers me is that for me, the watch stopped ticking for me after about a day of complete negligence. i thought it was supposed to be like a 48 power reserve or something. ahg, i wish i had another slot on my watch winder. look, if you like automatics, invest in a watch winder with at least 3 more slots that the amount of watches you currently own. also buy thiswatch!
on May 12, 2017
Excellent movement donor for my Seiko 5 Railmaster homage - accurate to within +-5 sec/day. The base watch is fine (the face is a bit busy), but these are a terrific way to get a great movement that can provide the base for a completely custom watch... Just be careful if you try to regulate it as it is very easy to screw it up.
on October 7, 2015
This humble little Seiko has been the companion to my wrist for five months now. I've taken it off once or twice a month, mostly just to adjust the date on the first of each month. It's so accurate that I haven't had to correct the time outside of that, just over a minute fast a month, or a remarkable +2-3/day.
Seiko's manual stated to avoid high temperatures, shock, and that the waterproofing is only suitable for washing your hands with it on, while I've been subjecting it to daily showers, swimming pools, hot tubs, water parks, and snorkeling in Bermuda, banging it into just about everything I possibly could on the way to all of those. It's no diver, but I've seen much greater watches succumb to much less abuse than this Seiko.

It's not a fancy watch - you can certainly find much more bling for your dollar elsewhere, but its design is subtle and timeless, it looks perfectly fine in a sports bar or at a nice dinner. If you're concerned about prestige and appearance, I believe a humble, quality Seiko 5 will say much better things about you than any budget "luxury" watch under $200 ever could.

My only complaints are that I've found the crystal to be too easy to scratch, although I admit I'm unusually hard on this watch, and the original strap is a touch cheap and ought to be replaced with a band of your liking ASAP. Neither flaw is fatal for a watch this price, I can't even bring myself to ding it for that, all other things considered. I'd give it six stars if I could.
on April 2, 2017
A pure aviator's classics. A must have for any man who values style (and not fancy overpriced pieces of vanity strewn by diamonds).
The only thing makes me sad - only 30 meters WR, not good for this type of watches :(.
UPD. Also I noticed the matte finish on the casing is very fragile. I didn't scratched it with anything metal, but it got a mark already (looks like more reflective, somehow "polished" piece of surface). So it will get "vintage look" fast.
The band is stiff and cheap, but not that bad as many claim. Yes, it's too simple and does not embrace the watch as it could, but anyway standalone it is ok. Maybe even worth to keep it.
Have bought the last one and happy!
on September 20, 2014
I've owned mine for a couple months now and I am extremely impressed with the band, durability, lens, and accuracy of this watch. It is never off by more than a minute and watch accuracy is always helpful. The band is canvas so if you rub up against something and it messes with threads of the band you can always take a lighter and burn the edge where it is starting to come undone. I've only done it once and it was because I bumped it into a brick wall as I was still getting used to having that extra bit attached to my arm. The lens is durable as well, I have not gotten a scratch on it yet, but I have accidentally hit it against an engine or tools at work so it's pretty tough. It is not meant for prolonged use underwater, but I use it for swimming my laps and have not had any issues. I also incorporate under-waters in my swimming, but if I have to go deeper than 5 feet I'm taking the watch off. I've worked out with it and I haven't had any issues with its size, or band making it feel uncomfortable. It doesn't have a timer so it's not the best workout companion, but that's not why I bought it so no stars docked that would be unfair. The automatic winding is a great feature as well. I've left it off for almost a week and when I put it back on it was still ticking with accuracy. The only thing that bothered me at first was getting it on and off because the holes to get the buckle of the watch through were kind of tight, but over time that fixes itself with use. It really is a great watch and if you're looking for for comfort, durability, and simplicity this is a great watch for you.
on September 10, 2017
Great watch for the first year, it began to really lose time...I wore it three days per week. After a year and a half the pendulum or spinning weight or whatever it is called fell off its point of attachment and now it does not work any more. I feel a repair would be more than the price of purchase so in my junk box it went. While it looks like a good outdoor or durable watch for hiking it most definitely is not. It does have a pretty glass back so you can show off the movement...more of a showpiece.
on March 19, 2017
This watch fits right in that sweet spot of an intriguing automatic and simplistic beauty. I didn't immediately fall in love with the size. However, wearing this under a simple long sleeve t-shirt it wore nicely and you start to love that you feel like you're not "wearing" it. The lume is great, as is the sweeping tick. I would recommend this if you're on the fence about field watches and don't know where to start. This is the gateway. I have some other bands coming to try and see if I like the looks. The black stock band is sturdy and the buckle is Seiko branded which adds a hint of extra branding style.