Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 23, 2017
Purchased this watch back in 2013, it had an easy first couple of years. Then wore it through US Army Infantry basic training. The watch never left my wrist, drug it through mud and muck, water, sweat, tears, banged it around on a tile floor whilst doing pushups. Broke a springbar putting on a rucksack once but that was an easy fix. Been wearing it the last 2 years in the Army, It's been really cold, and really hot, swam with me on numerous water survival tasks, jumped off high dives and zip lines into a lake, it's been on my wrist jumping out of planes and helicopters at 1500ft. I don't know what people are talking about "splash resistant" this little seiko has been on my wrist for the combat water survival assessment at least 15 times. Small enough that it doesn't get in the way of gloves or long sleeve shirts. Spend the 50 bucks, stick a nato strap on it, beat the hell out of it for as long as it lasts, then buy a new one. I've been brutalizing mine for 4+ years and it hasn't skipped a beat.
291 people found this helpful
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
402 people found this helpful
|1212 comments|Report abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
review image
85 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on September 21, 2017
I've owned quite a few watches - I wouldn't quite call it a hobby of mine, but I do enjoy a good watch. After wearing it for a while, this is by far my favorite. I've got some tips (see below) on how to get the most out of it, but first, here are the things I like about it:

It's perfect for people with smaller wrists like mine. This has one of the smallest faces you can find on men's watches. Most are in the 40-45mm range; this is 37mm. For me, that's a huge plus - it looks so much more proportional, and my wrists look less feminine.
It seems to be very accurate - doesn't lose significant time or gain significant time within a week. I've had watches before that are much closer to an atomic clock than this, but if a few seconds deviation a week doesn't bother you, this will be just fine.
The clear back is fascinating - not just to see the automatic winding action, but the detailed components and gears of the movement. Something to show the kids, at least (and I'm about to be a new father, so I've got to start thinking about that, right?) :)
The glow-in-the-dark points and hands are a bit under-powered - but that's pretty standard for a watch at this price range and size. Just expect to have to use a flashlight to read your watch, unless you just stepped out of a bright light source.

And now for the tips:
These watches don't come wound up very much - before you worry about setting dates or times, I'd recommend taking 60 seconds to shake the watch and wind it up. Hold the face vertical and shake it back and forth. That way you won't have to set the time twice as it won't die on you during the process. After that, if it dies on you, treat it like a fitness tracker telling you to get off your bum and move more (or wear the watch, more).
The band that comes with this watch is very rugged. It will probably survive whatever you throw at it, which is one of the reasons I got this watch. But mine really chaffed for the first week or two. The seams of the canvas strap have been melted at the end that was cut off to prevent fraying, but it's not comfortable. Mine got better, though, after just wearing it for a week or two, and is no longer a problem. I bet that someone who wanted to accelerate that process could take a nail file to that rough edge and save themselves a reddened wrist.
NEVER, never change the date between 9:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. That seems like a silly rule, but you can actually damage an automatic watch's date function by doing this, because the mechanism that changes the date is engaged during those hours. If you're unlucky and your watch stopped between those hours, or you're not sure if it stopped around noon (fine) or midnight (bad), you will want to follow the following procedure just to be safe:
1. Advance the watch a full day using the crown to change the hands (NOT THE DATE), passing midnight and stopping around noon.
2. Adjust the day and date to "yesterday"
3. Advance the watch through midnight, changing the day and date to "today"
4. Reset the correct time.
5. Rewind watch by shaking it from side to side.

Hopefully this has been useful to you - let me know!
11 people found this helpful
on March 4, 2017
Precise and nice watch. The day-date is clear and legible, in two languajes: en-es. The dial is super clear and this is a 37mm, hence a more traditional and wearable watch. I changed the strap but after some weeks of use with different stratps, found that the original is the best.
The precision is +-2s/24hrs. I almost inmediately get used to the numbers in the dial, a small ring with the hours and big numbers outside for the minutes. Here a size comparison with the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Mens Watch 311.30.44.51.01.002 and the Swiza Men's WAT.0352.1001 Siriuz Analog Display Swiss Quartz Black Watch
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
45 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 3, 2017
Had to be returned for service twice in first three years, gains 7 min per day. Bought another color of this same watch from a different vendor, it failed completely in one year. Would not recommend.
10 people found this helpful
on August 20, 2017
I recently got this watch after doing a fair amount of research looking for an inexpensive yet good quality watch for every day use. The value at this price point seems truly amazing. Being an automatic made it even more so. The Seiko 7S26 movement is a reliable tried and tested component and I have found mine to be accurate within about 2 seconds per day which is fantastic. I know others have quoted different stats for accuracy and I don't dispute their findings. Maybe I just got extra lucky with mine.
I love the exhibition case back which shows the movement mechanics! I think the watch face is laid out well and is quite pleasing and not cluttered. The luminescent markings last for hours albeit be at they are not super bright after awhile but still easily seen in the dark. The crown is very unobtrusive as it is set in further than many. Some may see this as a drawback but I prefer having it that way. Part of my feeling that way may be that I'm left-handed so I wear the watch on my right hand. It doesn't feel or look strange at all with the crown being so minimal. It is still easy to pull out although you do have to have a little bit of a fingernail to get underneath it but I don't find that to be a problem.
I really like the beaded finish on the case. Personally I wouldn't consider polishing it like some have. I like it just the way it is.
If there is one thing that I would be critical of it's the band that comes with this watch. I purchased another band at the same time I purchased the watch and instantly changed it out to a great looking dark brown genuine leather strap. (See pics) To me this is the perfect complement to the watch. In spite of the strap, I still gave it five stars because the strap is easily changed and the value of the watch itself with all its features is excellent. To be able to get an automatic watch of this quality at this price point makes this a no-brainer.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on October 17, 2016
I got the watch far earlier than I had been told, so the experience started off with a pleasant surprise. The product was delivered in original Seiko packaging, presented on a pillow inside. Presentation pertaining to a much higher price, I might add. It was labeled with the MSRP of more than 180 dollars. A price that would have been fair anyway.

The watch itself sports a movement which as been used by Seiko since the 90's. So you can rest assured that the watch will keep ticking, or rather sweeping (as the automatic movement ensures a beautiful sweeping second hand as opposed to a ticking hand) for a long time to come. The movement is a tank and it has been just a few seconds a day off.

The watch itself is gorgeous. It's the size of a field watch (worn in the army by foot-soldiers) but it's dial is more like a classic aviator style with the prominent minute markers. I absolutely love the minute and hour hand, reminiscent of the propellors of old WWI era combat aircrafts. The second hand adds a touch of elegance with it's extended almost feminine shape. It's a sturdy feeling scratch resistant case which would have served well in combat as it is non reflective in the sun. The display case back gives you a glimpse of the intricate workings of the mesmerising movement, teleporting you to the mechanical era of yesteryear. The watch sits well on any wrist. It's subtle size ensures it sits well on smaller wrists, but it's intricate (but not cluttered) dial makes it feel at home even on larger wrists (like mine).

The strap, though well made, is not worth keeping. It just doesn't do the heritage of the watch design justice. I bought an aftermarket 15$ strap online and it transforms the watch. It goes from beater to eye catcher. I recommend non-nato so you can keep seeing the mechanical innards. There are so many great leather offerings to choose from. Oh also, swapping straps is super easy. Don't be scared off by the pushpin tool, it's a one time purchase which you can keep reusing and it's dirt cheap to begin with.
review image
14 people found this helpful
on November 21, 2017
I paid $75 dollars for this watch. I've seen it listed of over $100. The prices are all over the place, so if it costs over $50, just wait until the price comes down.

I've purchased about seven Seiko 5's. Except for this one, they all ran about 15 seconds fast a day so I had to regulate them myself, which is a very delicate and frustrating job, plus it's easy to destroy the movement.

This was when it was new: This watch keeps unbelievably good time. I didn't have to regulate it. It usually gains or loses about two seconds a day. I regulate it by setting it down in different positions at night. The movement on this one is 7S26C, which none of my other Seiko 5's had, and it's made in Malaysia, not in Japan, so the new movement must have something to do with it the greatly improved accuracy.

The seller says you can wind it with the crown (the winder). You can't. If it stops you have to kind of shake it to get it going.

I don't know how waterproof it is; it just says "Water Resistant". I'm not going to submerge it.

Update: Now it's running slower and every nighttime position I've tried slows it down. If I don't force it to run faster it loses about 5 to 8 seconds a day. The older movement always sped up at night. I've discovered that shaking the watch (to wind it) makes it speed up while I'm shaking it so I shake it every morning to get it back to the actual time.

Update #2: I regulated it (not easy if you've never don eit) and got it right the first time; it usually takes at least 15 tries. Now it's back to running super accurately.
2 people found this helpful
on March 6, 2017
I've owned it for about a week and a half now and I've been wearing it non stop day and night, only removing it for showers. The watch has not lost a single second and is keeping almost exact time in sync with my phone. I think a lot of the low scoring reviewers either don't understand how automatic watches work, or they bought theirs from a third party seller that may have resulted in a knock off or possibly used and damaged. If you want a good mechanical watch and don't want to spend a lot of money, buy this. The quality is amazing, especially at this price.
5 people found this helpful