Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Men's SSC009 Solar Chronograph Black Dial Flight Watch
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on July 5, 2012
I HAVE to give this watch 5 stars because it lives up to the description and for a relatively low price.

Pros
1. It is accurate! I haven't had this watch a month yet but it looks like it loses about 2 seconds a week, so 6-8 seconds / month is pretty good!
2. Obviously the flight computer has small numbers, especially on the inner dial. The outside dial is actually not too difficult to read (and I'm almost 50 and with not awesome eyesight). I can use the flight computer to get me a close estimate for all the calculations, but for accuracy use your standard E6B or digital flight computer.
3. Hands are easily read at night. The hands are luminous all night long
4. This watch is a looker, for sure.
5. Setting the alarm is relatively easy. You pull the crown out 1-click only and then advance the hands using the bottom button (stopwatch reset button). If you accidentally pull it out that second click it will stop the second hand. Just be careful
6. The second hand at the 9:00 position is a good size and easily readable
7. The sweep stopwatch second hand is smooth (1/5 second ticks) and is similar to what you would see in a mechanical chronograph. I had (and lost in a divorce) the Omega Speedmaster and loved that watch! The stopwatch function on that was smooth and accurate and easy to read. This watch is the same at 1/12 the price. Only downside to the stopwatch is that it stops and essentially resets itself at the 60 minute elapsed time mark.
8. The bracelet is VERY nice! Again, in league with the Speedmaster, which I did not expect. Do NOT get this watch with a leather band...get the watch with this bracelet as it would be very expensive to replace, I'm sure.
9. The stopwatch function works very well. Most quartz chronographs have a 1-sec "tick" as the timer. Again, this is very smooth as one would see in a far more expensive watch.
10. With most quartz (i.e., nonmechanical) chronograph stopwatches, one doesn't feel a "click" when one starts the watch or when one stops it. While not exactly like a mechanical, there is enough of a "feedback click" to let you know that you started and/or stopped the stopwatch. Very nice.

Cons
Just a couple things.
1. The crown does not screw down. For a watch rated to 100m I would expect a screw down crown.
2. The alarm is not very loud at all and only lasts 20-seconds. Why not a minute? Don't count on this alarm to wake you.
3. Not sure how I know if the watch is fully charged. Some watches, like Citizen, have a meter. I guess if it stops it needs light, which is fine and not really a con.

Overview

Great, accurate, fine looking watch for a very good price. I've owned several Citizen watches including a dive watch with depth meter and the Ecodrive Skyhawk. After the first battery in the dive watch ran down, I took the watch in for service and it needed to be sent to the company due to a leak. Would have cost me over $200 to do that so I didn't. My ecodrive battery somehow ran down as well even though it was always in a well lit room or in the sun. What I'm saying is, let's see what Seiko can do as I'm done with Citizen and their overpriced watches that don't seem to last me.
on December 18, 2014
Beautiful and great quality in every way EXCEPT!!!!!

Trust the bad reviews on this one! I wanted to love it so much but just returned mine because almost every time I put my hand in my pocket, the crown would come out all the way as it got pulled out by the material on my pocket as I pulled my hand out.

The the crown would rotate as this happened so you would have no idea what time it was. Thank god for cell phones but if you happened to leave your cell at home on a quick lunchtime dog walk etc you could guarantee the stupid thing would pop out and you'd be stuck wondering what time it was.

Serious design flaw.

Thanks to Amazon for refunding me!
on June 18, 2013
I will start by saying that this watch is made wonderfully and looks great. I feel it was well designed and the movement/accuracy was great.

I bought this watch for 3 reasons: Solar, Chrono and E6B.

The Solar charging worked great out of the box and the Chronograph worked flawlessly. However the E6B turned out not to be as easy to use as in the pictures.

The key flaws were that 1. The inner and outer bezels are on different sides of the crystal and 2. The outer bezel just has the numbers painted on.

The problems with this are that the two bezels are difficult to line up consistently due to the thickness of the glass, the outer bezel is prone to getting grit under it making it difficult to turn as well as prone to getting scuffed away.

I guess this is more of a fine timepiece, but I wanted an every day watch that had these features.

Ultimately I settled on the cheaper and battery powered Casio Edefice (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003URUM6W/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which has both the inner and outer bezel on the inside of the crystal.

This provides protection and alignment as well as being ~$100 cheaper, allowing me to afford a second even cheaper /beater/ watch.
on January 21, 2014
I also experience the crown frequently pulling out by accident and having to re-set the time. It also needs charging under bright light rather frequently (every couple of days.) Very annoying glitches to what should have been a nice watch. Too bad!
on April 9, 2016
Despite other reviews I found the watch to be an excellent value. So far I've had no trouble with anything. I keeps perect time. The battery has not run down at all. The E6B works as well as any manual one once you get the hang of it and it loock GREAT!
on January 13, 2015
Wife gave me this watch as a christmas present. Looks and feels great (better than anticipated) BUT the mayor flaw is the crown keeps popping out from any kind movement causing it to stop time. Had to return it cause i kept looking at it to see if the crown pulled out and was losing my mind. I even called Seiko to see if they had some kind of fix to it, but customer service told me to send it back to the seller. Loved to watch but hated the design flawed with the crown.
on August 26, 2015
Excellent quality product. Very well built. Keeps time well. My only gripe, it is minor is that is very hard to see the tiny labeling in the bezel ie the inner black dial white numbers. I am 45 years old w average to good eyesight. Again this complaint is minor! If however you are maybe 60+ years of age I recommend the Citizen Nighthawk flight watch thst has bigger writing easier to see. Though do note , bigger writing means less functions. This Seiko has way more functionality. So is a trade off, more functions smaller writing or larger writing less function. Quality and sturdiness of this watch is unparalleled. Seiko nailed it right on this one!
on December 6, 2013
Nice Watch but the crown is very easy to come out and cause the watch to stop moving. They should have a screw lock or something to keep that in place.
on April 25, 2013
Awesome watch looked good in pictures, but looks amazing in person. Would highly recommend it to anyone who has a need for such a fine piece of instrumentation, or for those who like to collect watches.
on January 3, 2013
Beautiful, does what promised. Needs to be submitted to some light to start but after this is working very well. The alarm sound very low but overall is a very good watch.