Top positive review
27 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2015
This watch is a blend of elegant design philosophy (no batteries. Well, no chemical batteries because the mainspring is technically a mechanical battery), timeless outdoorsman aesthetics, and economics. I bought this watch for a specific purpose and wanted instant confirmation of military time without having to "add 12". Is it the finest made, most beautiful, or most durable? Probably not, but there's not a lot of reputable automatics out there for $100, especially one reminiscent of the Hamilton Khaki.
Some non-obvious thing buyers may wish to note:
- There are various pictures of this watch. On the one I received, the ring around the face is distinctly more greenish than the "cream" color in the center of the face.
- It makes a bit of noise as the weight turns.
- You can stop the second hand, but it's not the easiest thing to simultaneously set the second and minute hand. I usually set mine to the minute, so I can't tell you if it looses or gains a bit. Videos on Youtube show how to get the accuracy down a few sec/day.
- The back is stunning. Automatics are complex and amazing machines (they were invented in 1923 AFTER the invention of internal combustion engines, airplanes, radios, etc.)
- The crystal is perfectly flat and give it an old-fashioned look that I really like.
I think this is a great budget automatic. I deduct a star for the band (canvas, meh) and a few small things such as the second hand setting difficulty, but overall, I love it.
10 MONTHS ADDTION
I've been wearing this watch every day for close to a year now. Here are some long-term thoughts:
- The band is still a minus- it's definitely getting worn and stained. Time for a new one.
- The crystal is remarkably resilient. I've accidentally bumped it many times and the only surface that has left even the slightest (and it's very slight!) mark on the crystal is a brick wall (and when I forgot and put it in my pocket when I had sand in my pocket at the beach :/ ) But in camparison to "designer brand" watches I've had, this thing is essentially scratchproof.
- The waterproof rating is no joke. I've gone snorkeling in salt water, showered, and ridden motorcycles in rain storms with this thing on. Not a drop inside. I do make sure to rinse it well in fresh water after having it in the ocean, to avoid possible corrosion.
Still love it