Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Seinfeld: Season 4
Format: DVD|Change

Back in the days when "Seinfeld" was a television phenomenon, I didn't watch it.
There were some good reasons for that. I was working 50 hours a week in those days - sometimes more; I played softball in a couple of night leagues and was on a bowling team. When softball season ended I played in a YMCA basketball league and did some volunteer work with a nonprofit organization raising money for under-financed hospitals in Honduras.
The point is, I was seldom home when the show was being broadcast and, as a result, I never saw it.
That changed because of YouTube.
Now that I'm retired and writing mystery novels to fill in my days and nights, I sometimes tune into YouTube since I don't own a television.
(I know, sounds un-American but it's the truth.)
I like YouTube because I can watch interesting documentaries, catch a little political ranting and raving, and watch clips of comedians.
It was while surfing YouTube looking for some comedy that I discovered "Seinfeld" for the first time: It was a short clip set in Jerry's apartment in which the immortal line "They're real, and they're spectacular" was uttered by Terri Hatcher.
Oh my...
Intrigued, I did a little research and watched a few interviews about the show to get a sense of it. In one of those interviews Julia Louis-Dreyfus noted that this was the show's breakout season and so I ordered it.
It's hilarious and, frankly, I wish now that I had found the time to watch it back in the day.
The ensemble cast blends together perfectly and the guest stars all bring something interesting and unique to their performances.
Most of all, however, I love the writing.
As a former journalist turned author, I have lived most of my life turning words into sentences, sentences into paragraphs, and paragraphs into stories. It's all I've ever wanted to do and because that's true I am always searching for writers who can catch my attention and hold it. Usually, I find those writers in the pages of books but every now and then I run across people who can do that in movies and on television.
If this season is any indication of their talent, the men and women who wrote "Seinfeld" are certainly among the best I've seen.
This season has been reviewed hundreds - maybe even thousands - of times so I'm not going to delve deeply into its episodes. Suffice it to say that there are no clunkers in this set. I also enjoyed the "behind-the-scenes" interviews and notes.
In short, one of the best purchases I've made in a long time.
Season four of "Seinfeld" is one of the best conceived and executed moments of comic brilliance in history. The season was conceived by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld as an arc telling the story of Jerry and George's TV pilot for NBC featuring Jerry in a show about nothing. Although the season kept reverting to that plot convention throughout, the individual shows were generally less specifically involved, with a couple of exceptions, most notably the one hour season finale "The Pilot."

This season is dominated by memorable "Seinfeld" moments, and in fact contains several of my all time favorite episodes, including "The Bubble Boy" (the "Moops" exchange is one of my very favorite moments ever captured on film; I especially love the look on Susan's face when George punctures the bubble); "The Cheever Letters" (one of the more surreal plots with perhaps the best surprise of the series, once again delivered by Susan); the classic episode, "The Contest" (I particularly love the matched shots of the contrast between angst and peaceful sleep); "The Junior Mint" (which is one of the most visually and conceptually amusing of all Seinfeld episodes); and last but not least, "The Smelly Car," which I find to be one of the best written of all the "Seinfeld" episodes ("It's beyond BO...It's BBO!").

The extras are great and include numerous commentary tracks, the amusing and informative "Notes About Nothing" features, extra scenes, outtakes, and more.

This is the best possible use of your entertainment dollar. I couldn't recommend this set more highly.
on February 8, 2018
Purchased used and the fourth DVD was missing, the box was there but the disk was gone.
on May 8, 2011
Our Seinfeld (Season 4) DVD arrived well within the promised delivery date of the Amazon third party vendor. The packaging is in good condition and we have every reason to believe that the DVDs within are in equally satisfactory shape. At the time the order was placed, we also ordered other Seinfeld seasons including 1,2 and 7 (we already own Season 3). Even though we are missing some intermediate seasons (specifically 5 and 6), we are watching those that we have in chronological order. We just commenced viewing Season 4 and so far it is a blast (we had never seen it before as we have neither cable nor satellite TV. Our television set serves as a DVD/Blu-ray monitor and on rare occasion we hook up our computer to it). So far we've viewed "The Trip (Part One)", "The Trip (Part Two)", "The Pitch", "The Ticket", "The Wallet" and "The Watch." We (my spouse and I) have been enjoying each and every episode and look forward to viewing the balance of Season 4 with bated breath. One other point... the DVDs include extras. Sometimes they are quite good and serve as outstanding supplemental material. One thing's for sure... they weren't available when the shows were originally broadcast.
on May 19, 2005
This was the season Seinfeld really came into its own...The Bubble Boy, The Contest...two classic episodes out of many are included in this season of the show. I can't see how anyone would call this show overrated...between this show and Friends it's easy to see why NBC has had a rough time following the successes of both of them...about the only comedy still in production that's consistently in the top 20 right now (spring 2005) is Two and a Half Men...it's the writing and the ensemble casting. Seinfeld and Friends came before the current glut (glut is the only way to describe it) of so-called reality TV (can't anyone spend some money on a decent scripted series these days?)...this is classic TV and so is Everybody Loves Raymond because they're based on real life friendships and relationships and not on what someone will be willing to humiliate themselves for to win an obscene amount of money --okay, George Costanza might, but you know what I'm getting at here. The "show about nothing" came into its own and truly began to shine in season four, not to take anything away from some stellar monments in the first three seasons but this was the year they realized they were onto something, and subsequently got their confidence to rise to even newer heights. If this show doesn't make you laugh, you just aren't paying attention.
on June 22, 2008
My husband and I are huge fans of Seinfeld and are working on owning all the seasons. I'd have to say that this is one of the best. Jerry Seinfeld himself says this was their breakout season...one they won an Emmy for. If you've never watched Seinfeld, this would be the season to start with. Some of the story lines are incredulous (e.g. a Junior Mint accidentally dropped into someone's body while in surgery), but most are relative to everyday life occurrences. This season is a must have for any Seinfeld fan.
on December 22, 2017
Excellent Seinfeld Episodes!
on October 15, 2017
Can't go wrong with Seinfeld. One of the best comedy series ever written.
on February 19, 2018