- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 5 hours and 59 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Abridged
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: September 5, 2007
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000VSDN9Q
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out Audible – Abridged
|New from||Used from|
|Free with your Audible trial|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
That's why this book is so valuable. It breaks down the cycle of expectation - effort - undesired result - failure and explains, in no uncertain terms, the "formula" for knowing who you are; not who other people SAY you are, not who you THINK you should be, but who you are at the CORE. I consider this book a hands on tool to evaluate and understand YOU. It's especially helpful for those who feel any or all of the following:
1. I have spent so much of my life trying to please others and live up to their expectations, that I have forgotten and neglected who I truly am.
2. When I do muster up the courage to do something for myself, (take on a new hobby, career, etc.) I feel guilty that doing so would be taking time away from my family and/or responsibilities to others.
3. I have bought into the labels others have placed on me instead of defining myself on my own terms. I have become what others said I would become.
4.Read more ›
Dr. Phil's main point is simple: a person may be unhappy and tormented by internal pain but we create our lives "from the inside out." We have one shot on this earth and face a simple choice: are we going to live our lives as we would truly like to live them or are we going spend our time here being defined, "typecast," hammered down, discouraged, de-energized -basically, CONTROLLED -- by outside forces(relatives, friends, expectations and past events)? Do you live according to what he calls the "authentic self" or do you live a life and identity others have given you, much like a casting director fills a part? And how to do you find out what you REALLY want and who you REALLY are (not how friends and relatives typecast you)?
Here are several big reasons why you MUST buy Self Matters:
1. DR. PHIL WALKS THE WALK: He changed his life. Originally he'd start each day unexcited, not proud of who he was since "everything I was doing was chosen to please other people by meeting their expectations while totally ignoring my own...I knew I wasn't living the life I was meant to live." He realized he had "betrayed who I was and instead accepted a fictional substitute that was defined from the outside in. I betrayed myself, and mine was a life and an experience that was a fraud and a fiction."
2.Read more ›
have a lot of really good food for thought, practical applications and wisdom in the straight, no nonsense approach that makes up Oprah's buddy, Dr. Phil.
Well, I couldn't help myself: this book is chock full of good stuff.
Not only that, Dr. Phil's voice rings through his writing so clearly that I can literally hear him talking to me as I read!
The approach in the book is very much a step-by-step approach working with a foundation of gathering evidence from defining moments in your life and then creating a plan of action through taking action upon positive, empowering choices instead of being "stuck" in the quagmire of your negative life history.
Dr. Phil reminds us to "Know your history so you can walk out of it."
He tells on himself more than once, describing his own episodes of "creative stupidity" which had me howling with laughter.
Another lightbulb moment for me and a pure "Dr. Philism" was the
reality that we are, in every moment, contributing or contaminating our relationships. Wow. That alone is worth the purchase of the book: especially in reading the supportive paragraphs.
Like I said earlier, I didn't WANT to like this book. The main problem there is too much tangible substance that I can use to apply to my life in a positive way that I can't help myself in giving it a high rating.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great book! Well written. I found this book very insightful and relevant. It truly helps you know yourself better and love yourself! Read morePublished 1 month ago by Pam
Bought this book used. Better than expected. Looked brand new...but had a bit of a musty smell....needed to air out a little. Nice for yourself but not as a present.Published 2 months ago by Amelia C.
Someone recommended Dr. Phil. Way disappointing. Couldn't make myself finish it.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
I read this book and did the exercises to it about 10 years ago. It helped me tremendously. However, one needs to be honest with oneself when doing the exercises. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Lisa
Would like to get the most from book so am just wondering if anyone knows how to score the locus of control tests in appendix ?Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
Awesome Author ... Excellent Content and Practical Advice :)Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
A little boring, long, & drawn out. Was expecting a message along the lines of Dr. Phil's last book; The New Life Code, which is excellent!Published 4 months ago by Marci Lee