Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on December 27, 2015
I bought this for my son because I believe the greatest gift we can give a child is self reliance. In the days of enabling this book is timely and will help infuse the independence that every child needs to survive. The basic concepts of self trust, self acceptance and embracing individuality. I love the fluidity of Emerson. He was already one of my favorites but this book really resonates with me and many levels. It is my mission to raise my son and daughter with these ideas that will sustain them when I'm gone. "Nothing will bring you peace but yourself" RWE
on July 28, 2014
This is a very slim little book that for at least two reasons might take longer than it takes to read a much bigger book. First, it compacts some powerful thoughts that require time to digest and translate into action. Second, although Emerson is sometimes referred to as a great writer, those who read both Emerson and Thoreau might find Emerson's writing style less crystal clear than Thoreau's, possibly because writing styles have changed and Emerson was 17 years older than Thoreau. Anyway, it's well worth the effort to digest this little gem.
on February 1, 2015
I've not been an avid reader most of my life. At 70 years and now retired I'm trying to catch up and have a strong desire to read the classics which have deep insights into life. This was not an easy book for me to read -- I read it slowly and tried to digest each chapter. There were several occasions where I got it! It took some effort I my part and I'm pleased I read it. I look forward to reading others by Emerson..
on May 9, 2017
Must read for American high school students
In this day and age.Timeless work of Literature.
Emerson and Thoreau our country's Answer to Ancient Greek Philosophers.
on June 19, 2017
Good collection of Emerson's major works and most insightful essays.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 29, 2017
Pretty light but good stuff. Who doesn't like RWE?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2014
I'm glad this brilliant essay is available as its own book, but Seth and Co. decided to highlight their favorite sentences in red…which kind of filtered my experience of discovering the thoughts myself.

If you already own Emerson's writings and want a coffee table book, this little guy is perfect. If you are new to Emerson, buy the Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson (Modern Library Classics) for $14 and enjoy 880 pages of non-highlighted genius.
on September 13, 2017
It is a good book. A little on the poetic side and some of the things may take a few listens before you get the meanings. Overall, I don't regret my purchase and the more I listen the more I like it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 26, 2016
Classic Emerson essays. Thought provoking and well written.
on May 25, 2011
Domino Project does it again! What a great piece of wisdom re-launched so well for a digital age. Emerson summarizes his own contribution when he says, "No greater men are now than ever were."

We, or at least I, tend to worship wisdom from the latest guru. Perhaps it's Seth Godin, or Tom Peters, or .... Maybe it is the world of digital instantness that put more faith in what was just said than what was said a hundred years ago. "How can their world be relevant to ours?", we often think. Ha! I give to you some highlights I made in my Kindle edition:

* There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at he conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide.

* If we live truly, we shall see truly.

* Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.

* It is easy to see that a greater self-reliance must work a revolution in all the offices and relations of men.

These were just a few of Emerson's pearls. And the few that worked from my oyster. Pick up the book and find your own.