Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Selling England By The Pound
Format: Audio CD|Change

Enthusiast: Cyclingon September 3, 2013
I have only in the past few years had time to explore the Peter Gabriel era Genesis recordings, and Selling England By The Pound has become my favorite of all of the albums, catching the band at a peak in performing and writing skills. This 180g LP reissue, though, is the remixed version done as part of the box set reissues. The remixes I have heard of the albums from A Trick Of The Tail forward are absolutely abysmal (basically, "smashed" and devoid of any of the dynamics that made these albums stand out), but surprisingly the Peter Gabriel era remixes stay closer to the original. I can hear minor differences in the mixes, but the dynamics are still closer to the originals than how the later albums were treated. As I like both the original and the remix, I wanted to have clean vinyl copies of both. The quality of this 180g vinyl pressing is top notch! Dead quiet surfaces, ruler flat, and distortion-free playback from outer to inner grooves. I am glad I picked this one up--I may get the others while they are still available.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on November 29, 2014
One of my favorite albums of all time!! BUT...Although in some places the overall sound is even better than the original, in others (most noticeably in "The Battle of Epping Forest", the mix is so haphazard, one would think a 12 year old was given the task of selecting which instruments are dominant and which are subdued at any given moment. Some things simply should not be changed for the sake of change itself, but rather if the end result yields an enhanced or alternate perspective for the listener, while maintaining the integrity of the original. In many cases, this is the "photo negative" of the original; where specific instrumentation and its position of dominance within a given musical phrase is the opposite of the original. Therefore, if you were a fan of SEBTP, and are a guitarist or keyboards (let's say) then you will most likely be listening for those specific instrumental contributions...you will be disappointed to hear (again, in some segments) that the keyboard is far less noticeable and the guitar far more dominant...or vice-versa. It's definitely worth a listen or two, but if you're looking for an overall "remastering" of the original, or a mix that merely enhances same, you will be disappointed somewhere along the journey.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 15, 2015
How do you make a great album even better?You can't improve on the music or The performance. The sequencing can often make a difference but it's not really anything that influences this album. The Blu-ray re-mastering from the original master tapes, no compression, re-mixed using all 5.1 channels available. NOW we have taken the good and made it better, yes, greater. A one of a kind, not soon to be surpassed audio experience. A listening experience, in my opinion is improved by doing the things we can control that allow us to hyper-concentrate on our involvement in the listening experience. DVD's such as this are, for me , reserved for those times when I can solo listen or share with someone like-minded.,.. no interruptions, low lighting ...even totally dark if possible, at the least I always listen with my eyes closed. Eliminate the involvement of the senses which are extraneous to the listening experience. And this is a piece of music worthy of these kind of tweaks. The music...THIS music deserves all the augmentation you can control!
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on September 16, 2017
CLASSIC GENESIS' GREAT MUSIC for GENESIS Fans , or Peter Gabriel ,before he left the Band..
on January 18, 2014
I always thought that Peter Gabriel Genesis is the best version of Genesis. You know this is a great album when 4 of the songs, or half the album appear on the Live album "Suppers Ready". As a studio CD this is Peter Gabriel and company at their best! When I first heard "Battle of Epping Forrest" it sounded like something out of Lord of the Rings, or Tolkein mythology. I was surprised that when reading the words it is a modern day event. Great vocals, great guitar and the hammond organ on here, is the best around. Whats not to like? Great album If you are looking for a starter album for Peter Gabriel Fans or Early Genesis, I would start here!
2 helpful votes
on August 24, 2017
My favorite Pete era studio album. Just has so many great melodies on it. They hit a stride here.
on October 29, 2016
This is my favorite Blu-ray audio disc.
The quality of the audio engineering really shows off how accomplished Genesis is as a band (sophisticated rock, accomplished musicians).
I discovered many more details, than I had previously, even though I have listened to these songs countless of times.
Just wished that Genesis would produce a Blu-ray of their "Platinum Collection" covering the band's prowess.
on September 23, 2015
I have recently purchased a new Turntable and returning to vinyl has been a treat. When CD's first arrived everyone marveled at the sound, the clarity of the instrumentation and vocals. As the years passed, I began to realize that CD's along with there sound quality had diminished to the degree that no longer was it exciting to listen to music. It remained enjoyable, but was lacking in oomph. The percussion seemed to be de-emphasized and no longer pronounced. I have a quality system, Denon that has great capability, that is proven out on Blu-Ray recorded music as well as my album collection from years gone by. Time to once again jump on the vinyl train and I am happy I have.
One listen to "Selling England by the Pound" (180 Gram Vinyl) gave back that excitement that I was missing. Subsequently, I purchased Santana "Moonflower", Pink Floyd "Division Bell" and the Live Gary Clark Jr. 2014 LP. followed up by Traffic's "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys". My enthusiasm has been heightened and once again there is anticipation of an arriving album. Listen to "Cinema Show" at high volume and you too will be transitioned back to the vinyl era.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 11, 2017
First bought this back in the seventies and still hasn’t lost it for me!
on November 21, 2012
Genesis are well known for the two remarkably distinct phases in their music, first the prog rock then the pop-rock. The band has shown outstanding experimentation in stylistical crossovers, innovative soundscapes, performance techniques, and metaphor- and humor-packed storytelling during the first half of the 1970s. "Selling England by the Pound" shows some more maturity with respect to earlier, very enjoyable albums such as "Nursery Cryme" and "Foxtrot". Highlights are "Firth of Fifth", with its authoritative piano intro and mid-section epic guitar solo, "I know what I like", with its British pop feel, and "The cinema show", of extraordinary musical and lyrical sophistication, my personal favorite. An outstanding album, you will not regret having it!
2 helpful votes