Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on December 1, 2007
I have read maybe a dozen books about semiotics and I must say this is the best yet. It is both easy to understand and surprisingly comprehensive given the topic. His book is so good that I bought the second edition of the book when it came out even though its available for free online. My sister is even using this book for as part of the required readings for a graduate level university course she is teaching and I know she isn't the only professor on the faculty to do so.
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2011
This book is an exceptional primer on the study of signs, which was popularized by the Swiss linguist Ferdinand de Saussure and American philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce. To learn semiotics is to open a door to understanding human communication.
on March 26, 2017
A great book about the subject. Not many examples but all the theory needed. A really great reference book for all.
on August 11, 2017
Good introductions n to semiotics.
on November 9, 2013
This book provides pertinent, yet readable information on the fascinating topic of semiotics. He explains, by employing various theories the fundamentals of Semiotics. Though readable, it takes time to digest the complexities of how signs influence text, culture and other branches of science.
on March 24, 2013
Complicated subject matter brought "down" to a level I believe anyone can grasp (especially if I can) making it a fantastic read on a fascinating subject.
on January 12, 2008
As intended, this is a very good summary of Semiotics and Structuralism. I discovered the book on the Web and decided that it is worth buying it in book format as an excellent reference to keep around. The book seems to contain more information and seems to have gone through some good editing. My only criticism is about its organization -- maybe Mr. Chandler could have thought of a more narrative organization where one concept gives way to the next, although I am very aware that the subject matter is very complex to control.

I firmly believe that these extremely important "diagnostic" and critical approaches of the 20th century will make (and, I think, are making) a come back. I am mostly interested in creation of contemporary dance and theatre and I read about semiotics and structuralism with a very pragmatic, worldly eye. In that respect, I believe that post-Barthes French thinkers diluted the issues towards pure speculation and inapplicable and frequently unintelligible brain gymnastics and denied their methodological aspects for use in linguistics, anthropolgy, film, etc. I have not been able to deduct practical benefits from the critical movements of the past 30 years either.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 3, 2013
This book provides an excellent overview to the subject of semiotics. Chandler manages to bring this very large and disparate field togfether in one well-written book. Highly recommend it!
on January 7, 2015
great
on March 1, 2015
Great basic to semiotics--but, even an intro to semiotics is pretty dense for students. But, this is one of the most accessible books on the market--so I highly recommend it.