Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

A Senile Animal
Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 24, 2006
If you like the Melvins, you will like this, if you like Karp (especially their slower songs), you will love this, if you like Earth, Sunn 0)), Mudhoney, etc, etc, you will like this. On many songs, it sounds like the Melvins interpretation of Karp's interpretation of Kiss (i.e. Goin Blind). To a Karp fan, the Karp influence is noticeable. To a Melvins fan, this is still pure Melvins.

This is a very straightforward album, and it is well recorded. As you expect, it is still slow and heavy, and it is unlike any other Melvins album. The sound of the guitar, and just the simple heaviness of the meat salad, is extremely pleasant and served well done (or however you like your meat salad). The drums are prominent and complete the soundstage. I expected a little more on the drums because Dale is my favorite drummer, but maybe he is getting old and needs a little help ;-) ... nevertheless, this is one of the best drumming on a Melvins album, and still very much Dale.

This is the most accessible Melvins album to date. However, this is not meant as a negative. I have been a Melvins fan for a very long time (they are my favorite band), and their "weirder" material is something I enjoy a lot. This album still ranks as one of the best for me. If you like 10 Songs, Houdini, Bullhead, you will like this. If you like Lysol, Prick, you will still like this. This album just rocks.

Like Houdini, this could, and should win an album of the year award.

Buy this.
on November 1, 2006
This is a very good album. I personally prefer the likes of "Hostile Ambient Takeover" or "Pigs of the Roman Empire", but this disc has grown on me quite a bit in the couple weeks it has been out. Perhaps it was getting to see the band perform nearly the entirety of this disc twice on their most recent tour. The addition of the guys from Big Business is a good thing and, I think, allows exploration of certain elements which the Melvins haven't really delved into before. "Civilized Worm" has a section of 4-part harmony in it for example.

I was a little trepidatious when I heard the Melvins had let Kevin Rutmanis go because, to me, his bass playing was like the missing element; the final link that would stop the revolving door of Melvins bass players. I was afraid his departure would mark a downward spiral a la the Butthole Surfers after they lost Jeff Pinkus. I'm happy to say it doesn't look like the decline is imminent. Here's hoping this next lineup will have as fruitful a run as the last one.
on August 10, 2017
my favorite Melvins album so far. A little late getting into them but I love it so far.
on May 2, 2014
Metal greatness that rules the rock WORLD! Yes, that's what I mean. This band gets better the older they get. They are consistently innovative and sticklers for a well produced and addictive product. If you are new to The MELVINS, and want to know what they are all about, buy this one first. Buzzo is a riff-master supreme and can be said to tower over all other metal riff-lords by being so incredibly prolific and interesting.
on February 27, 2010
This is the first Melvin album I have heard, and it's awesome. Great pounding riffs, raw-sounding production. In all honesty, I wish you could give a 4 1/2 star rating because I think very few albums should be given 5 stars. However, since 4 1/2 stars isn't an option, I decided to err on the side of awesomeness. I would definitely recommend this to any fan of hard rock, metal, etc. Sounds kind of like a more alternative Black Sabbath, or maybe "stoner rock". Which makes sense, since from what I understand, these guys helped shape the whole grunge/alternative movement in the 90's. I know these guys have been around for a while, so I'm going to check out some of their older stuff. A very good buy, for $5.
on November 11, 2016
Melvins good, two drummers better.
on June 12, 2007
This is their best effort since the 1999 Trilogy (The Bootlicker, The Maggot, The Crybaby). In my opinion, this one is better than those. At first I was skeptical of the dual drums from Dale and Coady but it sounds REALLY good, and its amazing how tight these guys are. Jared Warren provides a good Bass compliment to the bands overall sound. Buzzo is the king of riffs, as usual. The band uses a lot of 3 part harmonies in a good portion of the tracks on this album.

If you don't have this Melvins album, you need to get it. It's chock full of the heavy goodness that Melvins fans love. Buzzo even uses real words in this album.
on July 29, 2017
This album gives me a good kick!
on October 25, 2006
I just received the Melvins' new work, "(A) Senile Animal". Slipping it into my CD player on the way to work, I didn't think that 7:15 was too early to treat myself to the heavy delights of my favorite band and I was right!! The Melvins are the only band that never lets me down. This album, with the dual drumming and lush harmonies, is no exception. What a powerhouse of sheer, raw talent this band is! It's a shame that they are so underrated in the musical world, but within the realm of those who do know about them, they are nearly always hailed as the geniuses they are. Whenever I listen to them, I am consistantly amazed. I literally cry out with explitives of joy and sometimes am even brought near tears, such as with the new song, "Civilized Worm", which has the most beautiful vocal harmonies and melody (yes, I am still talking about the Melvins). All I can say is Thank God for the Melvins!!!!!!
on March 25, 2011
I've been a Melvins fan since 1990, and I can't believe I only just now got this CD. It's like coming home! I admit I've been a slacker fan and haven't bought some of their later releases. Considering the immense volume of records they have, they can't all be winners, and there have been a few that are a bit too "quirky" even for me. But this one rocks! This is the Melvins I know and love. \mm/ Get it now!